• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Connecting Speakers

Cupcake

First time here but I have a question regarding my speakers and onboard audio.
I went out and bought the Z-5300's and hooked em up, however one speaker doesnt work. The problem lies in my onboard audio, i hooked it up to 5.1 and it works. However i realized awhile ago that the green input in the back(onboard) was always finiky. Sometimes it wouldnt want to cooperate with me when i pluged something into it(ie not play, scratchy). So i started using the front connection.(side of my computer, another green input/pink mic). This worked wonderfully for my last speakers. However now that i need 3 inputs, i dont have another connection on the front of my case for this, only 2 like stated above. When i try to use the 2 in the back, and use the Green input on the front, my mobo disables the sound in the rear inputs, and only allows anything pluged into the front to work. Sooo running a longer cord to the front(green input), allows my 2 front speakers to work, but disables my sub/center and rear speakers. Is there a way to disable this feature, so that anything plugged in anywhere will run? (2 in back, 1 in front) I really dont want to have to buy a sound card quite yet.

Thanks, Cupcakke.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Sounds like the connecter is some how loose or a pin in side the plug is not tight enough. Some thing else that comes in mind is dust or even dirt in the socket.

if you have a brush you might able use a bit of what they use to clean tae heads as it avaperates.

Keep in mind and shut down the PC and leave it of a hour or 2 just to be on the safe side.

Some thing else it my be is the connecter is not as good as the connector that works better.
For example you sure the plug fits in all the way some badly finished one have plastic were the join is that stops it from fully working how it should.

Any chance you have a few converters like 3 1/2 to the larger sorts and another back to 3 1/2 just see if it's the plug ?. it's possible you may have a bad wire too.

IF it was my problem and would not advise some one else trying is to use a fine tool onin the connecter to tighten the pins up. BUT dont try this unless your 100% you know how too.

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
If I understand your problem correctly then I expect this is a default action of the hardware and it is unlikely to be easy to solve using software I'm afraid. Could you give us the make of the onboard audio in case it's a known issue that somewhere here can help with?

The only real recommendations I can give would be to download and install the latest drivers (and take a look to see if there are any relevant settings in the driver control panel) and other than that I'd say your best choice would be to buy a new card, which I know you don't particularly want to do. You can get a half decent Audigy card for quite cheap - my Audigy 4 sounds quite good and only cost about £30 a year or so ago.