• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Constant Blue Screen with Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (Win 10)

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" is typically a RAM voltage error due to not enough voltage to the sticks for the speeds and timings they are set for - This is a common error seen when OC'ing.

@ the OP, be sure you have the correct amount of voltage in use for the sticks such as if they are rated for 1.50v's for example. You'd want to make sure they are getting at least that much is not a little more. If you must, a little more won't hurt them and would probrably take care of the error popping up.

If the set is rated for 1.50/1.55v's for example giving them about 1.60/1.62v's (Max) won't hurt them, just be sure whatever RAM voltage you decide to use is set manually in the BIOS.
If all else fails make sure the board isn't setting them up with timings and speeds they don't want to run at and you can make sure of it by setting timings and speeds manually, preferably by their specs.
You can tweak later because right now the focus is to solve your error problem first.

Speaking of that, since the PSU itself is in question I'd tackle that first, THEN go for the RAM settings but that's what the error itself is normally about.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard Aorus X570 Elite
Cooling EK AIO 120 D-RGB
Memory Corsair Vengenace LPX 2x8GB @ 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Aorus GTX 1080 Ti
Storage 1x 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe, 2x 1TB hard drive, 1x 120 GB SSD
Display(s) Aorus FV43U
Case Corsair 110R
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z Card, Sennheiser GSP 600, Razer Nommo
Power Supply be quiet! System Power 9 600W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
How long have you had the M5A97? Is it the original or the more popular EVO? I had an Asus P67 LE that would not quit throwing BSODs (it was so long ago, I can't remember what the error was ), and after exhaustively testing every part including CPU and RAM I ended up just tossing it. It seems it was just at the end of its life. Coincidentally, both boards from Asus - P67 and 970 - are verging on 8 years old at this point.

Are you using a stock cooler? How is the airflow in the case?

The M5A97's 4+2 can handle the 8350 just fine at stock speeds like OP has kept his at. OP says there are heatsinks so it's not the LE. That RAM does make me raise an eyebrow, though, 1600 CAS11 is old and slow and the high latencies and lack of manufacturer in CPU-Z suggest that it's an OEM part.

The XFX TS/Core Edition is a great little power supply, based on Seasonic S12II. It's just fine on quality, for the group-regulated unit it is. I wouldn't count it out as being defective, though.
I've had that board since I bought the PC in 2014 and it's not a stock cooler, with there being a total of I think 3 or 4 fans in the case.

Cooling EK AIO 120 D-RGB
Display(s) Aorus FV43U
Case Corsair 110R
Keyboard Logitech G915
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
So I've replaced my RAM sticks to see if maybe that would help but it sadly didn't. Still happening.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Isn't this that typical case of an FX proc on a weak board that is slowly but inevitably running into death row?

I think this ship has sailed and damage is done. Its 2019 by now... If after a fresh install of Windows and proper chipset/drivers etc. the BSODs persist, I wouldn't even bother with RAM. Time for that Ryzen build. I feel this is troubleshooting against common sense...

So I've replaced my RAM sticks to see if maybe that would help but it sadly didn't. Still happening.
That more or less leaves the power supply. I doubt it's the mobo as you'd be having all sorts of other problems, which you're not. It has been said that you could do with a new CPU/Mobo combo, however if you can't afford it, a PSU is your best option. You're going to need one anyway.

Cooling EK AIO 120 D-RGB
Display(s) Aorus FV43U
Case Corsair 110R
Keyboard Logitech G915
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Isn't this that typical case of an FX proc on a weak board that is slowly but inevitably running into death row?

I think this ship has sailed and damage is done. Its 2019 by now... If after a fresh install of Windows and proper chipset/drivers etc. the BSODs persist, I wouldn't even bother with RAM. Time for that Ryzen build. I feel this is troubleshooting against common sense...
It's not a weak board though, and I don't really have the money for any new parts. I can always just borrow parts from a music workstation we have, like the RAM today morning to check if that would fix it, but I simply can't buy anything extra.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
It's not a weak board though, and I don't really have the money for any new parts. I can always just borrow parts from a music workstation we have, like the RAM today morning to check if that would fix it, but I simply can't buy anything extra.

Be it as it may, just know its a ticking time bomb and replacing is inevitable. Especially on a tight budget, my point mostly is, don't invest more into old hardware like this. If you have donor parts, sure!

Cooling EK AIO 120 D-RGB
Display(s) Aorus FV43U
Case Corsair 110R
Keyboard Logitech G915
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Be it as it may, just know its a ticking time bomb and replacing is inevitable. Especially on a tight budget, my point mostly is, don't invest more into old hardware like this. If you have donor parts, sure!
I wasn't planning on investing in it, but I do need a working PC, and an upgrade is still ages away. And the parts from that workstation I can't even keep if there is something that does need replacing in terms of hardware.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
I think he already stated he's not overclocking.

I wouldn't go that high. I'd go 1.575v at the most.

I saw he wasn't OC'ing but related to the error itself it still applies OC'ed or not.

I also believe at least 1.60v's won't hurt them, esp if rated for 1.55v's like many sets are.
That's not enough over stock to make much difference yet could be enough to stabilize things.

Have a few sets rated for 1.55v's and I run those all the time at or even over 1.60v's and they are doing just fine after years of it - Now.... This doesn't mean I go crazy with voltage with those particular sticks but any set rated for 1.55v's should be able to handle 1.60v's without issues.

I say that because I've noticed that sticks can easily run at least 0.05v's over stock and have no problems from doing that if need be based on my own experiences, I have sets here (30+ sets at least) that ranges from at least 5 years to well over a decade old that's still kicking after all that being done to them, from regular DDR to DDR3 sets.

It's when you start going for crazy speeds and really tight timings is when one would volt them up like mad and start killing them but that's not the case here and I'm proposing anything crazy be done.

I do have to say again, get the PSU issues sorted first then if the problem persists that's something the OP could try.

Cooling EK AIO 120 D-RGB
Display(s) Aorus FV43U
Case Corsair 110R
Keyboard Logitech G915
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Have you tried swapping the PSU from that system?
No not yet, I'm seeing if updating board drivers will help first, as switching PSUs is a pain and a half.

System Name Fat NCASE
Processor Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING B550M ZAKU (WIFI) Edition
Cooling Scythe Fuma with 3 SCYTHE Wondersnail 2400RPM + Arctic MX2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 128GB @3200Mhz Cl16 (32GB X 4)
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 StormX ITX 12GB
Storage MX500 4TB SATA + Toshiba MG08 16TB HDD
Display(s) LG 27UL500 4K monitor
Case Jonsbo W2 black
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek 1200 & Soundblaster G3 usb
Power Supply ASUS ROG STRIX 850W Gundam Edition
Mouse Elecom wireless mouse :)
Keyboard RK100 Royal Kludge
Software Windows 10 HOME
Benchmark Scores Don't know any benchmark. It runs good enough for me.
How constant is your irql less or not equal? I have this on my pc occasionally too and I just got one yesterday too. It was alot more often 2 months back when I overclocked my system. Found out later my power supply is not playing well and I got a new one selling the old one after RMA. PSU error are hard to diagnose their symptoms are not obvious until you change them. I change to a bronze evga 500w psu from by then gold silverstone sfx 600g.
System become alot more stable after that. IRQL is also a ram related issue happens to me alot on my old G3258 build and also an experimental FX8320E that I had using the "old" ram.

I doubt it is your board, they are pretty hardy. If all else don't work you can try but by then I am don't think it worth it fixing your it for the expense unless for sentimental values or running old windows version.

Cooling EK AIO 120 D-RGB
Display(s) Aorus FV43U
Case Corsair 110R
Keyboard Logitech G915
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
How constant is your irql less or not equal? I have this on my pc occasionally too and I just got one yesterday too. It was alot more often 2 months back when I overclocked my system. Found out later my power supply is not playing well and I got a new one selling the old one after RMA. PSU error are hard to diagnose their symptoms are not obvious until you change them. I change to a bronze evga 500w psu from by then gold silverstone sfx 600g.
System become alot more stable after that. IRQL is also a ram related issue happens to me alot on my old G3258 build and also an experimental FX8320E that I had using the "old" ram.

I doubt it is your board, they are pretty hardy. If all else don't work you can try but by then I am don't think it worth it fixing your it for the expense unless for sentimental values or running old windows version.
I get them sometimes once every few hours and other times every 20 minutes or so. They only started appearing on saturday though, never had it before.

Update: So I updated the board's USB and audio drivers, and now not only does the error keep popping up, but now also all my USB 3 ports don't work. Still using the borrowed RAM BTW.

Last edited:
Update: So I updated the board's USB and audio drivers, and now not only does the error keep popping up, but now also all my USB 3 ports don't work. Still using the borrowed RAM BTW.
Try that PSU. If that's not it, you might be having a storage(SSD/HDD) problem.

SydneySideSteve

No not yet, I'm seeing if updating board drivers will help first, as switching PSUs is a pain and a half.

You can just pull the PSU from one machine and plug that donor PSU into the graphics card only, for testing purposes. You will need to jump the 24 pin connector on the donor PSU counting from left to right the pins #4 and #5 need to be bridged with a paperclip or wire. Meaning you do not need to extract and refit two PSU's in two machines!

PAPERCLIP_SHORTING_GREEN_AND_BLACK_EDITED.png

You can just pull the PSU from one machine and plug that donor PSU into the graphics card only, for testing purposes.
Welcome to the forums! That is an interesting testing method. It has the potential to get really messy though.

@avrona I'd still advise swapping PSU's fully to test. It will only take a bit of extra time and then you'll know that answer.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Welcome to the forums! That is an interesting testing method. It has the potential to get really messy though.

@avrona I'd still advise swapping PSU's fully to test. It will only take a bit of extra time and then you'll know that answer.

My preference pull mobo out, leave bumb psu in, bench test it lol

SydneySideSteve

@lexluthermiester thank you
My preference pull mobo out, leave bumb psu in, bench test it lol

Apparently fitting a larger GPU than what your PSU can power is something that is quite common, with this kind of error in device manager. It was a question that the they asked me (Nvidia customer help) when I was chatting with them about this same error, point four in the link "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43) for my graphics card"

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
@lexluthermiester thank you

Apparently fitting a larger GPU than what your PSU can power is something that is quite common, with this kind of error in device manager. It was a question that the they asked me (Nvidia customer help) when I was chatting with them about this same error, point four in the link "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43) for my graphics card"

Code43 can be a hard fault too.

What you just said to me aint news, been doing this for 20+ years now.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
@eidairaman1 was not trying to undermine your knowledge base at all, but every issue I have with a machine, for example, my video card's error 43, is a new chapter for me in a much smaller book than yours!

Thanks for clarifying, I'm pretty sure you might be able to contribute something here I may not think of at the time.

I recently learned of a tool called WhoCrashed lol

SydneySideSteve

Thanks for clarifying, I'm pretty sure you might be able to contribute something here I may not think of at the time.

I recently learned of a tool called WhoCrashed lol

It is good to be learning new things (speaking as a mature aged university student), does WhoCrashed do a similar job to or is it better supported than the old NirSoft (Nir Sofer) tools such as BlueScreenView, WinCrashReport, WhatIsHang, AppCrashView, etc.?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
It is good to be learning new things (speaking as a mature aged university student), does WhoCrashed do a similar job to or is it better supported than the old NirSoft (Nir Sofer) tools such as BlueScreenView, WinCrashReport, WhatIsHang, AppCrashView, etc.?

Im not sure really. Id probably use all of them.

I used a site called aumha.org for BSOD descriptions, since XP days.