• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Continuation Of : Disable Windows 7 Cached Memory : How To?

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/disable-windows-7-cached-memory-mapped-file.129069/

So I was looking around for info on how to disable the cache system all together. So no memory is cache, always remains 0 in task manager.

This would actually help everyone out who has low to 8GB memory. Particularly 4GB 32 bit users. As only 3,300MB is available of the 4,096MB installed. Quickly half to 3/4 to all of it becomes cached and consumed and performance completely non-existent.

I know pagefile must remain enabled for 4GB ram users as well as 8GB ram users. Though 16GB ram users may do fine without a pagefile. As all applications ran are running in "High Speed Memory" and are never to resort to Ultra Slow I/O Virtual Memory.

I would like to just have more knowledge of this for just plain having the experience dialing it in for peak performance. The system I would most like to disable "CACHE" on is my 32 bit 4096MB ram system with only 3300MB available max.

I have fiddled with pagefile, for this 3300MB max ram system it must have a pagefile and 32 bit max is 4095 min/ max and is ideal. My question is as to remain longer using the physical high speed memory, disabling CACHE would improve performance longer. Up until it runs out and must resort to Virtual I/O Memory. As well as Registry Windows Memory Management, which I have found a few things you can do in there to increase the available amount of ram and cache less.

Not to mention disabling SuperFetch service, as well as PreFetch and SuperFetch in Memory management. Some things that helped the most is setting Memory Management values far higher than what would seem proper, yet it works... Not completely though. Right at the moment it has commited 1,904MB of memory out of 7,420 (Including 4095MB Pagefile). It also has nearly 1,200MB cached up. Which if were not cached up, would remain only about 700MB of ram usage. Which would cool the memory modules, along with some nice power savings.

How would one go about disabling the Cache, completely? I'm guessing it would probably need to be some sort of auto-exec.bat that is set to run upon startup which runs a command in the command prompt to correct this in a non-permanent way.

Thanks

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk ATX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Memory VENGEANCE LPX 2 x 16GB DDR4-3600 C18 OCed 3800
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster SWFT309 AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT CORE Gaming
Storage 970 EVO NVMe M.2 500 GB, 870 QVO 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung 28” 4K monitor
Case Phantek Eclipse P400S (PH-EC416PS)
Audio Device(s) EVGA NU Audio
Power Supply EVGA 850 BQ
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 310
Keyboard Logitech G G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit v22H2
So I was looking around for info on how to disable the cache system all together. So no memory is cache, always remains 0 in task manager.
There's nothing to be concerned with Windows caching, and prefetching into RAM from the disk. Windows will dynamically reassign/give up what's been cached if a process needs the RAM. Shutting it off would have a devastating effect on overall system performance even with a Solid State Drive.

If your running Windows 10, Microsoft added in-place compression of unused pages within RAM just to prevent swapping out to the page file.

Well it's a give or take performance loss on 32 bit with 3327MB available max to be exact out of 4096MB. Making 769MB System Reserved. Which would quite easily and quickly consume all of the system memory as the cache and in use ram becomes greater. Meaning just 999MB truly in use, yet 2750MB in cache... Making total amount used 3749MB of 7420MB total 3327 + 4095 = 7422. Yet it's actually only allowing total commit of system memory 3325MB + 4095MB pagefile.

The second it goes over 3327MB or in reality 3325MB, the system basically comes to a crawl on a single 7200RPM HDD doing all the work at that point... Maybe 100MB/s read/ write/ copy. Compared to when below 3325MB is on this particular RAMBUS Dual Xeon (4 Threads) 3Ghz Hyperthreaded system of possibly 2,500MB/s memory read/ write/ copy...

So from 2,500MB/s to 100MB/s is instantly 25 Times Slower when using Virutal Memory... That's hugely noticeable change on this ancient Dual Xeon rig.

So Far, This Is What I Have Found To Disable Cache : Have Yet To Test : Not Said To Work In 32 Bit :

If there were a 32 bit version of DynCache.exe then this would do exactly what I'm looking to fix.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9258

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DynCache\Parameters]
"BackOffMBytesOnLowMemory"=dword:000001f4
"MaxSystemCacheMBytes"=dword:00000000
"MinSystemCacheMBytes"=dword:00000064
"SampleIntervalSecs"=dword:0000003c
"CacheUpdateThresholdMBytes"=dword:00000064

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DynCache\Parameters\Notepad]
"AdditionalBackoffMBytes"=dword:0000000a

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DynCache\Parameters\sqlservr]
"AdditionalBackOffCounter"="\\SQLServer:Memory Manager\\Total Server Memory (KB)"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DynCache\Parameters\System]

**Now I'm Just Searching The Registry For Cache*** Came along this... Doesn't seem to have any DWORD values to alter to help any...

Results of windows memory management tweaking : low cache at idle upon startup : in browser now with techpowerup open only now 654mb cached... the more tasks at hand... cache becomes greater... real pain

One tab is now Commited 1217MB of 7420MB... that means only 2105MB available... 800MB of ram per tab... haha ? really so yeah you get the point... If cache were disabled.... Commit would be 888MB TOTAL IN USE with 2,439MB available... which means without cache I could now have 3.74 tabs open (kidding) without a complete slow down... basically 2 tabs cosume 1,500MB cache going over system ram available.

The Xeon's have enough horsepower to power on through horrible scenarios as this one. However an optimization of the memory caching and disable of it would improve performance greatly... On Techpowerup & Gaming... ;)

Last edited:
System Name Skypas
Processor Intel Core i7-6700
Motherboard Asus H170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212X Turbo
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD Blue 1TB
Display(s) LG 22EA63V
Case Corsair Carbide 400Q
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2 w/ Deepcool XFan 120
Mouse Logitech B100
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 Pro (to be replaced by 2025)
Have you run any kind of program to see if it really faster to disable Windows cache?

Also kinda curious with your dual Xeon PC, can you post some pictures of it

It can't be shown in pictures other than the one above clearly showing less cache and more available which is ideal.

Games run way faster especially Tomb Raider 2013 @ 1080p on this Dual 3Ghz Hyperthreaded 4 thread Xeon Workstation with AGP AMD Radeon HD 4670 GDDR5 1GB @ 800Mhz Core 940Mhz Memory. Not to mention the 3,327MB available.

If I could or someone could help disable it to 0 continuous cached, then peak performance would surface. Finally... :D

Further tweaking has yielded insane results and the improvement is hugely noticable during browsing... I actually first exported the memory management registry entry and then simply deleted everything in there... all the sub categories etc but wouldn't delete "memory management" it's locked. It's okay some of the stuff gets re-generated... I then set "No Page File" and actually uninstalled the AMD Video Driver 13.9 and DDU'ed it up.. then installed only the .INF in Device Manager... This freed up over 1,000MB of memory while in use... CCC etc was using over 1GB at idle etc...

Now scrolling through webpages is like 100 Times faster and smooth as butter... sure it's a little bit laggy at first but once it's all chimed up in high-speed ram it's fast as heck.... I have clear at 90% set so even under high load it won't crash the app... Highly useful this "Mem Reduct"... Still some Cache exists which is crazy, the OS only could use 341MB of ram which is awesome at idle on the desktop...

See 633MB Commit with 292MB Cache at idle... Then open only Techpowerup forums and just 954MB Commit 425MB Cache... means really only needs to use about half the commit really... That means Techpowerup now really just uses 529MB... So 292MB idle desk & 529MB on Techpowerup... The cache still uses some but it's 5 million times faster now. It seems haha like it's a Quad-Socket 500 threaded Super computer with 5 trillion terabytes of ram haha kidding

why X on image now?

http://www.mediafire.com/view/lu9l1n6khh67nga/memoy-management-pagefile-mem-reduct-tweaks.jpg

Last edited: