• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cooling in your Climate- Ambient temps and cooling solutions

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
Ambient temperature inside the chassis, which may be considerably higher than the ambient room temperature.

I remember reading one user posting about cutting a hole in the side panel of the chassis, and using flexible dryer duct to bring cooler air from outside into the chassis.
That's not how the PC testers do it. Ambient temperature is the air OUTSIDE of the case because that's the air that the fans are sucking into the chassis to cool the PC components. Then they take case measurements of various components to see how they are being cooled.

We've already gone over this before. If the PC is turned off and has been that way for several hours, all of the components will be at that ambient temperature right outside of the case. That is the baseline measurement. If your room is cold maybe all of the components will be at 18 °C. If your room is warm, maybe all of those components are at 27 °C.

If your room is 22 °C and your computer has been off for an extended time, it's not like some components will be 20 °C, some others will be 24 °C, one at 10 °C and another at 30 °C.

If your PC is sitting in front of an AC duct, ambient is the temperature of the air right outside of the case, not what the temperature is in the middle of the room or at the thermostat. The only time you could take a temperature reading inside of the case and use it as ambient is if the computer had been off for an extended time.

That's why some of the more methodical PC hardware reviewers report temperature differences over ambient when testing cooling solutions.

Last edited:

freeagent

Staff member
Processor AMD R9 5900X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Thermalright Aqua Elite 360 V3 1x TL-B12, 2x TL-C12 Pro, 2x TL K12
Memory 2x8 G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3200C14, 2x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Black and White 3200 C14
Video Card(s) Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC
Storage WD SN850 1TB, SN850X 2TB, Asus Hyper M.2, 2x SN770 1TB
Display(s) LG 50UP7100
Case Fractal Torrent Compact RGB
Audio Device(s) JBL 2.1 Deep Bass
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750w G+, Monster HDP1800
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Logitech G213
VR HMD Oculus 3
Software Yes
Benchmark Scores Yes
That was my bad for bringing up the windchill.

Anywhoo.. I just use an analogue thermometer/barometer combo sitting on my case. The temp in my basement is a little cooler than upstairs. The basement is where I have my pc, the kids have theirs upstairs.

D

Deleted member 24505

My PC is in the lounge, hence why i showed that as ambient temp. my thermostat is also wireless so can be moved from room to room.

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-14900K Direct Die
Motherboard MSI Z790 ACE MAX
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, IceMan DD block
Memory G.SKILL F5-7200J3646F24GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 990 PRO 1TB M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11PRO
Home from work.

No A/C, no open window.

HWiNFO screenshot:

hwinfo 10-27-21.jpg

D

Deleted member 24505

i have had the thermostat for my heating sat on top of my case for a few hours, temp reads 24.6 so that is my ambient. my gpu idle is 27 and cpu idle is about 34