• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair Refreshes RMx Series PSUs with Magnetic Levitation Fans, Upgraded Warranty

Well I'm happy I just bought an RMx 750 (2018) for my new build. This series is very quiet, so not sure why they'd ruin that with crappy mag lev fans. Did the price rise on the 2021 series for the new fans?
Yes, 850w rose from 129$ to 149$
The 650w version starts at 129$ which was the MSRP for the 850w 2018 RMx

I can see that. I don't really disagree, was just pointing out in my experience they aren't much worse than a DBB fan, which some big manufacturers are quite fond of (EVGA comes to mind).
Yeah, but why replace an already quiet fan with a loud mag lev one, sure it sounds cool in marketing but the reason why nobody talk about corsair mag lev is because the hype for them died as soon as the review cycle came revealing they are as loud as Noctua's industrial fans, seriously go look up you tube videos about how loud it can get, i have never seen anybody recommend Corsair Mag lev fans ever since

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
i have never seen anybody recommend Corsair Mag lev fans ever since
They have their uses, that was my only and exclusive point. I never claimed they were appropriate for this psu.

Not everyone is solely concerned with noise. It's the most common concern but mtbf is a thing too.

System Name A bomb
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair H115i PRO + 4x Noiseblocker eLoop push-pull
Memory 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600MHz 19CL @ 16-20-20-36
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1060 3GB Gaming X
Storage Intel 660p 1TB QLC NVMe SSD (yeah, it's really that slow) + Seagate Exos 10TB HDD
Display(s) AOC C24G1 24" FullHD 144Hz VA
Case Phanteks P400S + P400A mesh panel + 2x140mm & 1x120mm be quiet! Shadow Wings 3 + 1x120mm Noctua NF-F
Audio Device(s) Corsair HS50
Power Supply Corsair RMx v2 (2018) 750W
Mouse Corsair Harpoon RGB Wireless in wired mode (wireless mode is bugged ...)
Keyboard A4Tech generic-ish membrane office keyboard (yikes)
Software Windows 10 x64 1909
Benchmark Scores OVER 9000
seriously go look up you tube videos about how loud it can get
140.jpg
And that's the worst case, they're better as a case fan or on the air cooler heatsink. That said, my first impression of regular MLs when they came with my AIO was that they're somewhat loud, i've swapped them with NB eLoops but didn't revisit them since them, i need to find them somewhere in the hardware pile and retest...
That, and again, Corsair ML/ML Pro and the fan in RM-x 2021 are different, they have different impellers, that's the most important part of the fan, general purpose fans for the most part are tuned somewhere in between of good airflow and good static pressure, all you need for PSU fan is as high static pressure as you can get. And, again, RM-x 2021 performs in this review as it performs not because the fan is loud (as in noise to performance) but because the RPM curve is not as relaxed as on previous version, plus as Aris mentioned in the review, when there's high load on minor rails PSU ramps up RPM even higher, skewing the average noise chart, it's really not representative of the noise output of PSU in regular conditions, you need to look at that colorful 2D graph with 12V and minor rails on X and Y axis and the noise represented as color. Also, Jon have already stated that they've relaxed the RPM curve in production, the one in the review was pre-production sample.
- update -
Additionally, the fan reviews on this very site, very meticulously made, show the same picture.
Corsair ML Pro :
ml120-pro-rgb.jpg
Noctua P12 :
nf-p12-redux-1700-pwm.jpg
You can see that they're nearly identical for radiator use with ML actually being slightly better, only topped by Noctua A12x25 which is unsurprising, it's a very good fan indeed.
nf-a12x25-pwm.jpg

Last edited:
System Name ATLAS
Processor Intel Core i7-4770 (4C/8T) Haswell
Motherboard GA-Z87X-UD5H , Dual Intel LAN, 10x SATA, 16x Power phace.
Cooling ProlimaTech Armageddon - Dual GELID 140 Silent PWM
Memory Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2400 997123F 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX1060 OC 6GB (single fan) Micron
Storage WD Raptors 73Gb - Raid1 10.000rpm
Display(s) DELL U2311H
Case HEC Compucase CI-6919 Full tower (2003) moded .. hec-group.com.tw
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Music + mods, Audigy front Panel - YAMAHA quad speakers with Sub.
Power Supply HPU-4M780-PE refurbished 23-3-2022
Mouse MS Pro IntelliMouse 16.000 Dpi Pixart Paw 3389
Keyboard Microsoft Wired 600
Software Win 7 Pro x64 ( Retail Box ) for EU
I would suggest to any one interested for the truth, to have a look at Corsair ML-series-advertorial (documentation).
An additional magnetic plate of less magnetic strength this is placed at the back of the impeller so to pull-up the rotor when this is working HORIZONTALLY.
Most DC fan are made for vertical positioning, they do not need any product design help (additional magnetic back plate).

I did note over a PSU with Magnetic Levitation Fan, Pin out with markings (+) and (-) and (P)
The I did research about electrical connectivity compatibility with other DC Fan, and I did discover the magical detail, a low cost additional magnetic back plate, which made Corsair that happy, so them to use the name of NASA.

Sorry world, a bit of magnetic force in use as weight counter balance for a horizontal placed (rotor - blade), this is not true magic.
But it is a smart: Product design idea.