• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Corsair Virtuoso RGB Wireless SE

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Processor Intel Core i7-5960X @ 4,3 GHz
Motherboard Asus X99 STRIX Gaming
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32 GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 OC Edition
Storage ADATA SX8000 NVMe 512 GB + 5x Kingston HyperX Savage 512 GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair Crystal 460X
Audio Device(s) Audiolab M-DAC
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0
Software Battlefield 1
Corsair's most expensive and luxurious gaming headset, the Virtuoso RGB Wireless SE, offers a couple of upgrades from the "regular" Virtuoso RGB Wireless, but also surprisingly falls behind in the microphone department.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/yfsd9w
@Inle The microphone jack is a type AB mini jack, whereas the plug, is a type B mini plug, which fits into a type AB mini jack. On the other hand, a type A mini plug, doesn't fit in a type B mini jack. Type AB and type A weren't all that common, which is why I'm guessing you're making a comment about it.
There's also a micro type AB jack and type A plug, but personally I've never seen those.

Based on your comments, I also take it you didn't test it with the 3.5mm jack? It sounds much, much better using that, than USB or wireless, so maybe give that a try?

Last edited:

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Software Battlefield 1
@Inle The microphone jack is a type AB mini jack, whereas the plug, is a type B mini plug, which fits into a type AB mini jack. On the other hand, a type A mini plug, doesn't fit in a type B mini jack. Type AB and type A weren't all that common, which is why I'm guessing you're making a comment about it.
There's also a micro type AB jack and type A plug, but personally I've never seen those.

This is correct. It's super hard to plug in at first but becomes easier after a couple of tries. This wouldn't be my plug of choice though.

Based on your comments, I also take it you didn't test it with the 3.5mm jack? It sounds much, much better using that, than USB or wireless, so maybe give that a try?

I did, but didn't get much into it in the review, as the performance in this case will be highly dependent on the quality of the source, as you're going around the electronics (DAC/amp) of the headset itself. I got worse results when I tried the analogue connection on an older motherboard and better ones when I plugged the headset into the EVGA NU Audio sound card - as expected :)

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
This is correct. It's super hard to plug in at first but becomes easier after a couple of tries. This wouldn't be my plug of choice though.

I did, but didn't get much into it in the review, as the performance in this case will be highly dependent on the quality of the source, as you're going around the electronics (DAC/amp) of the headset itself. I got worse results when I tried the analogue connection on an older motherboard and better ones when I plugged the headset into the EVGA NU Audio sound card - as expected :)

Didn't have any problems at all with mine, might be some excessive plastic on your mic or the hole in the headphones that made it hard to insert?

Obviously yes, but the 3.5mm jack sounds better regardless of the source I've tried, be it my PC or my phone. We're not talking just a bit here, it's like night and day imho, hence why I think it might be something worth mentioning in the review. The sound is not only louder, but there's more bass and more highs, it's like it's an entirely different headset.

Inle

Staff member
System Name Efrafa
Cooling NZXT Kraken X52
Software Battlefield 1
Didn't have any problems at all with mine, might be some excessive plastic on your mic or the hole in the headphones that made it hard to insert?

No, no excessive plastic at all, it was the USB connector/plug that caused the issue (on the SE). The mic was easier to plug in on the regular Virtuoso. And it became easier to plug in on both headsets after I used them for a while.

Obviously yes, but the 3.5mm jack sounds better regardless of the source I've tried, be it my PC or my phone. We're not talking just a bit here, it's like night and day imho, hence why I think it might be something worth mentioning in the review. The sound is not only louder, but there's more bass and more highs, it's like it's an entirely different headset.

Which phone did you try it on? It actually sounded thinner, weaker and generally worse on the Essential Phone and the OnePlus 7 Pro, which I used in my tests. I used the official USB-C to 3.5-mm adapter for the Essential Phone and a generic one for the 1+7P.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
No, no excessive plastic at all, it was the USB connector/plug that caused the issue (on the SE). The mic was easier to plug in on the regular Virtuoso. And it became easier to plug in on both headsets after I used them for a while.

Which phone did you try it on? It actually sounded thinner, weaker and generally worse on the Essential Phone and the OnePlus 7 Pro, which I used in my tests. I used the official USB-C to 3.5-mm adapter for the Essential Phone and a generic one for the 1+7P.

Hmmm, odd, oh well.

An old Nokia 8 which has a native headset jack. It sounds way better over the 3.5mm jack than over wireless if I connect the dongle to the phone using a USB A-C adapter. Same on my PC, 3.5mm jack sounds way better than either of the other two interfaces, regardless of it being music, video or games. Interestingly, if you plug in the 3.5mm jack and turn it to wireless mode, you get a slight boost in the volume. I guess the internal amp kicks in somehow.

System Name Cypher-C4
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Cooling Deepcool AK620
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual
Storage 250GB Crucial MX500 + 2TB Crucial MX500 + 2TB WD Black + 4TB Toshiba + 1TB Samsung F3
Display(s) Acer XV272UP
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Behringher UMC202HD Audio Interface + Mackie HM-4 + Sennheiser HD 280 Pro + Shure SM58
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Keychron K8 + Kailh BOX Crystal Jade switches + Ducky Good in Blue keycaps
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
The mic sounds quite good. Hope gaming headsets quality continues in this direction.

System Name No Name
Processor i7 980 @ 4.2ghz
Motherboard GA-X99M-GAMING
Video Card(s) MSU Gaming X 1070
Audio Device(s) X7 Creative LE
Mouse Razer Naga
Keyboard K95 Corsair RGB Blue
Ironically, Logitech bought Blue Microphone and their new headset with Blue mic sound crap compare to Corsair...

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Just an update, the sound over the wireless connection has improved a lot with more recent firmwares and I'd say it's almost on par with using a wired connection.

Warsaw

Just an update, the sound over the wireless connection has improved a lot with more recent firmwares and I'd say it's almost on par with using a wired connection.
Is this specifically with the SE version? I'm looking to get a new gaming headset since my Logitech G930's only have a 1-4 hour charge in them now (and this is with replacing the battery maybe 6 months ago). The Virtuoso set caught my eye so I'm very interested in the SE if it's where it should be for mic quality.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Is this specifically with the SE version? I'm looking to get a new gaming headset since my Logitech G930's only have a 1-4 hour charge in them now (and this is with replacing the battery maybe 6 months ago). The Virtuoso set caught my eye so I'm very interested in the SE if it's where it should be for mic quality.
I would presume it applies to all models, as the main difference is the microphone and ear cup materials.
I'm very happy with them at this point, as Corsair has fixed all the issues I had concerns about.
Battery life is very good as well.

Warsaw

@TheLostSwede Thanks for the reply! Additionally is the mic still better on the regular set? Read through your hole article and that might hold me back from getting the SE.

Additionally is it possible to swap mics? So if I got the SE and had the "lower end" mic

TheLostSwede

News Editor
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
@TheLostSwede Thanks for the reply! Additionally is the mic still better on the regular set? Read through your hole article and that might hold me back from getting the SE.

Additionally is it possible to swap mics? So if I got the SE and had the "lower end" mic
I wouldn't know, as I don't have access to a regular set. I've not had any issues with mine.

They seem to use the same connector, not sure where you'd get the other mic from though.

Warsaw

Ok, maybe I'll see if Corsair would be willing to do something with it. Thanks for the info