• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Could my overclock have killed my IDE DVD/RW drive and/or caused SATA drive issues?

yacoub

System Name Win7x64
Processor Core i5 750
Motherboard EVGA E652 P55 Micro SLI
Memory 8GB Corsair XMS3
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 6950 2GB non-reference
Storage Intel SSD Gen2 120GB, WD 2TB Green
Display(s) 1920x1080 x2
Power Supply Corsair HX650W modular
System specs are posted below.

I have my PCI bus locked at 33.3MHz but I don't see a separate control for SATA or IDE dividers/locks in the BIOS. Can someone point me to where it is for this motherboard?

In particular, I am running my 3200+ Venice A64 at 2.4GHz (10x divider, 240MHz I believe) which is 3800+ speed. The processor has no problems at all at this speed and runs pretty cool even with the stock hsf, however I'm concerned something in the motherboard is being overdriven a bit out of spec or whatever. I think it might be the IDE and or SATA channels and I'm wondering where to find the divider/lock for them to get an idea what they're being driven at and if I can reduce it slightly. (It's either that or this motherboard is faulty to begin with.)

Both harddrives I've run (both SATA) have exhibited some sketchy performance and my DVD drive also has as well. Symptoms for the drives are hesitation/refreshing of folders when I open them, Event Viewer shows errors sometimes in the logs as well. DVD drive sometimes stops responding (drive tray eject speed slows down over time and eventually stops opening at all until I fiddle with it a lot and unplug/replug it (while system is off) and then sometimes it starts working again and the drive tray shoots open and closed very quickly at first and then slows down over time. Also when the tray gets slow and/or stops working completely, the drive shows up as a CD-ROM drive and no longer a DVD-R/W drive and I can't use it as a burner. Yes, strange gremlins indeed. Recently the DVD drive has not come back alive to burner status. It still plays/reads CDs and DVDs but is no longer recognized as a burner drive.

On suggestion of someone on the Anandtech forums, I moved my SATA hard drive to the 3rd (or 4th) SATA channel, as they said on some boards the first two channels might not be locked even when you lock SATA in the BIOS. It seems to have reduced the "folder refresh" quirk exhibited by the drive previously but could be simply placebo effect.

Case: Antec P150 SuperQuiet Mini-Tower w/ Antec TruePowerII 480w PSU
Board: Asus A8N-SLI Premium
Processor: AMD Athlon64 3200+ Venice @ 2.4GHz
RAM: 1GB pc3200 ddr400 Corsair Value Select on dual-channel (at 1T, CL2.5-3-3-7)
Graphics: Sapphire ATI Radeon X800XL Ultimate 256MB
Audio: Auzentech HDA X-Plosion 7.1 DTS
Toslink output to Logitech Z-680s
Storage: 200GB Samsung SpinPoint SP2004C SATA 7200rpm 8MB cache
160GB Seagate 7200.9 SATA 7200rpm 8MB cache
DVD drive is BenQ DW1640.

Thanks for any help, particularly in figuring out why my DVD drive went from a burner to a reader only!

Btw, I also just tried flashing to the latest firmware on the DVD drive and that did not help. The firmware flasher worked fine but my burning software that has always worked fine still does not recognize the drive as a burner even though it did up until a few days ago. The drive eject mechanism has been slower as well so I'm thinking the issue that causes the drive to stop responding completely has impacted its capability to be recognized as a burner drive. Perhaps something is being overdriven and it has fried something inside? Weird stuff!! :ohwell:

I have a BenQ DW1650 on order. Since I don't want to just shove that in the system without finding the source of this mystery problem, I may also consider purchasing an X2 3800+ when the AMD chips reduce price next week, swapping that in at stock settings (ie removing my overclocks on the system) to see if that alleviates the problems/flakiness I've had with this board.

System Name Sample light
Processor AMD Phenom II 965
Motherboard MSI DKA790GX
Cooling Zalman 9500LED
Memory 2x 2GB G-skill PC8500
Video Card(s) Asus built AMD/ATI HD4850
Storage 500GB Wesern Digital green
Display(s) too ashamed to tell, but its an acer
Case Lian Li V2000
Audio Device(s) Echo Audiofire 2
Power Supply Corsair VX550
Software Windows XP pro SP3
well, yea, it might aswell did

everything is handled by deviders

the pci bus is 33mhz, you overclock it goes up or down, the safe limit being 37mhz,

so, at 38mhz pci, your AGP is running at 76 (that means that the referance frequency for the memory and gpu is curropted, automatic overclocking),

the IDE is 133mbyte/sec, but at 38mhz, your running at 152, data curroption, goes to everything else there, i would repartition and even low level format the disks to see if they can be recuperated, and buy a better board, which actually has working pci locks

yacoub

System Name Win7x64
Processor Core i5 750
Motherboard EVGA E652 P55 Micro SLI
Memory 8GB Corsair XMS3
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 6950 2GB non-reference
Storage Intel SSD Gen2 120GB, WD 2TB Green
Display(s) 1920x1080 x2
Power Supply Corsair HX650W modular
no AGP on this board, sir. PCI-E. And I locked the PCI bus at 33.3MHz. That's a function available in the BIOS.

IDE however might indeed be being pushed too hard and perhaps not locked. could explain the DVD drive's antics.