• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Couple of questions about buying a GTX 660ti

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
When you're wrong you're wrong. I have been in the PC arena for a long time and I am older than most around here so shh. Or are you saying senior member's can pop off what ever and when ever they please and walk with impunity no matter how erroneous they are ? Back on topic please. OP was doing just fine before you two came in here and started trolling me.

... we're not trolling.

and if you want to know the truth about Recommend requirements... that's not even at the highest game settings! its usually just for "High" settings, while required is usually just to run the game period... regardless of settings (i.e. all low and min res) So yes... even though his monitor is below 1080p, there's still a chance it could slow down a bit when the settings are maxed. Especially if he wants to use the PhysX settings for that game. But to be honest... With this particular game he should be fine since they go to the trouble to say it'll run at 512mb memory on the GTX560, so it would have enough left over for say... AA and AF and some higher detail settings along with a future upgrade to 1080/1200p due to his having 1GB not half.

Again... we're not trolling, just trying to point out some things the OP may want to consider for their situation. They specifically mentioned that Borderlands 2 is the reason for the upgrade, so that's what I'm going by as far as what will give him the best experience in that game. It is more GPU heavy due to the usage of PhysX... here I'll show you.

Borderlands 2 GeForce GTX PhysX Trailer - YouTube

I'm not saying your wrong... hell I even said you were right to suggest the GTX560. I'm just adding some information for the OP's consideration. I'm sure he'll have fun with what he ordered.

I've got to be honest though... I'm more concerned about his power supply at this moment. I have an 8800GT, and... well its in my specs to the side, on a 450watt PSU and I've done the math and its JUST within the limits of my psu as far as the amps on the 12v rail. So he may want to check the amps on his PSU.

Now don't take this the wrong way... but just because someone has done something a long time, doesn't mean they're doing it right. A tech in a nearby town has been building and servicing PCs for 20+ years... yet he still thinks the motherboard processes video for bluray playback and not the GPU. (again... i'm not saying this is your case... just saying it happens)

a little more research... http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660ti/performance
See the GTX470, comparable to a 560. He should be fine for Borderlands 2, though this was probably done with an i7 cpu installed in the system. and to show the 470 is comparable to the 560... http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-560/performance see bottom chart.

@OP. sorry if all this is a bit distracting... but just thought you'd want to know as much as possible in regards to game performance.

Last edited:

Zaranell

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz (Quad-core)
Motherboard ASUS M3A76-CM
Memory 4GB DDR2
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 560
Case Some variety of Cooler Master
Power Supply ENERMAX NAXN 82+ 550W
@OP. sorry if all this is a bit distracting... but just thought you'd want to know as much as possible in regards to game performance.
I appreciate it. Didn't think an argument would arise in my thread, but I suppose that's not something I could have predicted. Anyway, from what I'm gathering, the upgrade I just ordered as per Black Mesa's recommendation will be more than sufficient, and should last me for a good while. I probably won't be able to play newer games with maxed out settings and PhysX enabled at the highest resolution, but like I said: I've been using a 9500 GT for the past couple of years. I'm certainly not going to complain about playing on High instead of Ultra. In addition to that consensus, it seems that while I should (hopefully) be fine for the moment, I'll need to keep an eye on my new card's power consumption, and look into replacing the PSU in the near future. Is there any freely available software that can monitor that (possibly in addition to its temperature)? I'd rather not find out I need more power when I get a BSoD while playing a game, or when my card catches fire, or something. Lastly, from what people are saying, I might need to lower some settings if I get a bigger monitor, but given that those aren't cheap, I'm not likely to replace my current one for a while anyway.

On a side note, I'm not looking forward to getting a new PSU. I'm no stranger to replacing PC hardware, but I've never had to install one of those before, and the amount of wiring they have snaking throughout the case is kinda scary.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
When you're wrong you're wrong. I have been in the PC arena for a long time and I am older than most around here so shh. Or are you saying senior member's can pop off what ever and when ever they please and walk with impunity no matter how erroneous they are ? Back on topic please. OP was doing just fine before you two came in here and started trolling me.

if you claim to be older than anyone here act your age then.

and I wasnt trolling you.

also on another note editing your past post doesnt stop a moderator from reviewing what you have written so if your trying to hide being rude etc its no use.

on another note two posts or more next to eachother is called post whoring here so either combine your two posts or face consequences.

I appreciate it. Didn't think an argument would arise in my thread, but I suppose that's not something I could have predicted. Anyway, from what I'm gathering, the upgrade I just ordered as per Black Mesa's recommendation will be more than sufficient, and should last me for a good while. I probably won't be able to play newer games with maxed out settings and PhysX enabled at the highest resolution, but like I said: I've been using a 9500 GT for the past couple of years. I'm certainly not going to complain about playing on High instead of Ultra. In addition to that consensus, it seems that while I should (hopefully) be fine for the moment, I'll need to keep an eye on my new card's power consumption, and look into replacing the PSU in the near future. Is there any freely available software that can monitor that (possibly in addition to its temperature)? I'd rather not find out I need more power when I get a BSoD while playing a game, or when my card catches fire, or something. Lastly, from what people are saying, I might need to lower some settings if I get a bigger monitor, but given that those aren't cheap, I'm not likely to replace my current one for a while anyway.

On a side note, I'm not looking forward to getting a new PSU. I'm no stranger to replacing PC hardware, but I've never had to install one of those before, and the amount of wiring they have snaking throughout the case is kinda scary.

Also btw id suggest keeping that 9500GT around when it comes time to upgrade the motherboard, you can use it as a dedicated physx processor

Last edited:
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
VR HMD Lmao
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
the 9500gt is too slow for physix... i tried it with a 9600gt... it actually slowed games down b/c it couldn't keep up

@OP, can you post a picture or give us the model number of your power supply? nVidia's site lists the GTX560 as having a max draw of 150w along with that cpu you're getting using 95-125w. This could be an issue if the PSU has more than one "12v rail". If it has a single "+12v" listed on its side sticker then it means its a single rail and you'll have more luck as far as not needing a new PSU. If it says "+12v1 +12v2" then you have two weaker rails. I found out the hard way about this situation. I had a psu fry a motherboard due to split rails that otherwise could have handled it on just one strong rail. One way to get around multi rail designs is to use the 2x4pin to 6pin plugs. plug them all on separate "strands" of cable. But even this may not be a sure bet as one rail is often used for the cpu only, the the other for everything else.

As for hooking up a PSU, its a lot easier than it looks. The hardest part is routing the cables afterwards. This site shows all the connectors of the PSU, and where they go, some info about them, etc.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Cheaper Cases such as the TT V9 or older cases such as whats in my Signature are a pain.

Btw Thx for the headsup, I was thinking that would be the minimum to go anymore. I can only guess the 8800 in your rig would have the driving strength to do so.

the 9500gt is too slow for physix... i tried it with a 9600gt... it actually slowed games down b/c it couldn't keep up

@OP, can you post a picture or give us the model number of your power supply? nVidia's site lists the GTX560 as having a max draw of 150w along with that cpu you're getting using 95-125w. This could be an issue if the PSU has more than one "12v rail". If it has a single "+12v" listed on its side sticker then it means its a single rail and you'll have more luck as far as not needing a new PSU. If it says "+12v1 +12v2" then you have two weaker rails. I found out the hard way about this situation. I had a psu fry a motherboard due to split rails that otherwise could have handled it on just one strong rail. One way to get around multi rail designs is to use the 2x4pin to 6pin plugs. plug them all on separate "strands" of cable. But even this may not be a sure bet.

As for hooking up a PSU, its a lot easier than it looks. The hardest part is routing the cables afterwards. This site shows all the connectors of the PSU, and where they go, some info about them, etc.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

Black Mesa

Processor Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz
Motherboard Msi 870 G45
Cooling Hyper 212+
Memory Corsair 4gb single stick 1333
Video Card(s) GTX560SE
Storage WD,Samsung,Segate 7200rpm Raid0
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
Case Antec One Hundred
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Power Supply Cooler Master RS460
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit / Linux 64bit
Benchmark Scores Pwns them all to hot for them pff !
Case Gateway / Valve LE
VR HMD Lmao
nVidia probably changed the physx drivers a bit over time... when PhysX first came out it was on this thing...

after reading this thread i think i'll keep my 8800gt after i get a new card for physx...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/338970-33-best-dedicated-physx-card

still... i think the OP will have a fun time with borderlands 2 regardless. It'll still look a hell of a lot better than the console version and run smoother :rockout:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
nVidia probably changed the physx drivers a bit over time... when PhysX first came out it was on this thing...

http://www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=8464

after reading this thread i think i'll keep my 8800gt after i get a new card for physx...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/338970-33-best-dedicated-physx-card

still... i think the OP will have a fun time with borderlands 2 regardless. It'll still look a hell of a lot better than the console version and run smoother :rockout:

I know of the Ageia PPU actually, just was figuring a 9500GT would be considerably enough to run them.

Case Gateway / Valve LE
VR HMD Lmao
yea one would think... it has a similar spec. 32cores, and clocked around 650mhz or so... but i guess nvidia changed things. though the whole ageia core was used and not just part of the shaders so i guess that's where the diff. is. The 9600gt wasn't horribly slow.. but it was noticable in some spots. an overclock on the shaders might help that, and a down clock on the core to make up the temp. diff.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
yea one would think... it has a similar spec. 32cores, and clocked around 650mhz or so... but i guess nvidia changed things. though the whole ageia core was used and not just part of the shaders so i guess that's where the diff. is. The 9600gt wasn't horribly slow.. but it was noticable in some spots. an overclock on the shaders might help that, and a down clock on the core to make up the temp. diff.

Well I already knew a 8800 was going to be faster than a 9500/9600 as only the 9800 was equivalent or faster than the 8800.

But it makes me think if you could overclock that dedicated physx processor using the NV CP when you have say a 260 or AMD equivalent in.

Case Gateway / Valve LE
VR HMD Lmao
yep. i've read that pre fermi cards with the un-linked shader/core you can overclock the shaders and downclock the core, since the shaders do the PhysX work. so that might be a thing to consider with a 9600GT or GTS250/gtx260

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
yep. i've read that pre fermi cards with the un-linked shader/core you can overclock the shaders and downclock the core, since the shaders do the PhysX work. so that might be a thing to consider with a 9600GT or GTS250/gtx260

ok so Fermi and Kepler dont have the capability of custom clocking the internal shaders... I know that was NVs trick.

Zaranell

Memory 4GB DDR2
If it says " 12v1 12v2" then you have two weaker rails.
Well, damn. I suppose I'm going to need a new PSU after all. I'm 95% certain that this right here is the unit currently installed in my computer. It's the same model number, and has the same voltage listings.

APEVIA ATX-CW420W 420W ATX12V Power Supply - Po...

I took a clear picture of the one I have, but I won't be able to pull the image off the SD card until tomorrow. I can provide it if need be, but like I said, the specs listed on the side of the unit seem to be identical to the Details section of the product above. If what you've said is true, then I don't really have much choice but to replace that as well. Are there any models in particular I should get, or will any PSU with a decent voltage and a single rail be enough? I'd rather not spend more than another $30 or $40 on it. Preferably something that I can just pick up at Best Buy. As much as I detest that store, I don't want to order another item from Newegg and then be unable to use my new components for 3 or 4 days until it arrives.

Also, I greatly appreciate your continued assistance. I didn't plan on my upgrade getting this complicated, but at least when it's over, I'll be all set for another couple of years.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
Those Apevia PSU are like a Russian Roulette... if you play with 5 bullets :laugh: I used to have a CW500W and I think the real wattage was around 350w.

No, seriously, change that PSU. Even an Earthwatts 380w would be better.

This would be my recommendation:
SILVERSTONE ST50F-ES 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Cert...

The CX500 V2 is another good option and has fully sleeved cables if that's your fancy. Their specs are the same and it has a $10 discount on newegg right now making it the same price as the Silverstone: CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 8...

Both have very basic OV protection though, so make sure to use a voltage regulator or UPS with them (I would recommend their use even with a superb PSU anyway) Their capacitors are second grade but as your maximum load will likely be around 65-70% at most I don't think you'd have any problems.

Last edited:

Zaranell

Memory 4GB DDR2
Those Apevia PSU are like a Russian Roulette...
Mine's not an Apevia, I just linked that one because it has the same specifications as my model. The brand name on mine seems to be "Turbolink." Not sure if that's any better.

This would be my recommendation:
SILVERSTONE ST50F-ES 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Cert...

The CX500 V2 is another good option and has fully sleeved cables if that's your fancy. Their specs are the same and it has a $10 discount on newegg right now making it the same price as the Silverstone: CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 V2 500W ATX12V v2.3 8...
Yikes... like I said, I'm already straining my budget, and spending another $60 is a rather hard choice. I'll have to see if I can find an equivalent at a local retailer, since I don't want to pay even more for shipping. I wish I could just find a cheaper alternative that would do the job well enough, but I suppose a PSU is probably not something I want to cut corners on. A less costly but potentially unreliable model doesn't sound like a good idea, now that I think about it. I guess I have no choice but to bite the bullet on this. At the very least, buying a more expensive one it means I won't have to worry about it for another few years.

Last edited:
System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
Turbolink and APEVIA/ASPIRE are the same thing.

You might get by using the 660ti with your current PSU but as you said that you're planning to upgrade the CPU later you'll likely need the headroom. Still, if the system gets unstable the first thing I would do is to change the PSU.

You could get a CX430: CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 43...
Should suffice if you go with a Phenom II X4 960T or lower (try to get the 95w versions just to be on the safe side).