• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

crashes with x1900xtx

steiner666

System Name Ubelsteiner Rig
Processor Intel Q9550 @ 3.5ghz
Motherboard Asus P5E-VM HDMI
Cooling Zalmann 8700
Memory 4x2GB G.Skill DDR2-1000
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX570 (900/1600/2000)
Storage 2x250gb WD Caviar in RAID-0 (primary), 1x WD 1TB green (storage)
Display(s) Mitsubishi 60" 3D DLP TV
Case In-Win Dragonslayer
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
Power Supply Antec EarthWatts 650w (+12v1: 22A,+12v2: 22A,+12V3 25A)
Software Win7 Ultimate x64
I recently upgraded my GPU from the x850xt pe AGP listed in my profile with an x1900xtx PCI-e card. The system booted fine at first and windows detected it as a "x1900 series" card just fine cause i still had the recent catalyst installed. Then after a while the screen went blank. I kept restarting and kept having the screen shut off after a minute or two of operation. I tried to see if it happened at any consistant time, like during rendering anything or if it happened when drives were being access but i couldn't find any consistancy in it all. Then it started messing the screen up during the GRUB and windows loading windows when I rebooted it.

I immediately thought all this pointed to a PSU issue even tho my PSU is pretty good, good enough to at least run it during 2d rendering since i never even got it into 3d rendering. I removed all non-essential devices and drives and even underclocked and dropped the voltage to my CPU and RAM and it still happened. Since my PSU is modular I tried plugging it into different slots on the actual PSU body, but was met with the same results.

So since the card was a refurbished order from newegg I requested an RMA and planned on sending it back on monday. Out of curiosity (and perhaps genius) i lent the card to my friend who has an almost identical rig as mine. and it WORKED PERFECTLY FOR HIM. He played Oblivion and GR:AW for hours and had no problems he said.

the only things different about his rig are:
-cheaper Rosewill brand RAM
-different brand hdds, same interface and roughly same capacity tho
-two 80mm LED fans as opposed to my two 120mm
-prior to installing this card he had an Nvidia 6800ultra
-*HERE's THE KILLER* his PSU is the one that came with his case and has a weaker 12v than mine! I have dual 12v rails with 17A and 19A on them and he has 12A and 14A on his.

I can't figure our WHY this is happening. I mean i realize that my PSU could still be crapping out on me, so we're going to try swapping PSUs in the near future... but still..

Also I updated my BIOS to the OCWB1 and his are still the defaults. I also did the Vcore mod on mine, but didnt have any problems with it.

also, it is not heat. the card never gets hot which isnt hard to believe since it is on for so short of time b4 it blanks out.

If anyone managed to get to the end of this book of a post and has ANY suggestions or speculations please let me know as I have only so much time to return the card if i need to.

thanks

**edit** I talked to my friend and he's bring his whole rig over tomorrow. We're planning on swapping PSUs first and seeing if that fixes my problems and gives them to him. But if that doesnt work (and i have a feeling it wont) and the PSU is not the problem, I'm open to suggestions for other things to try swapping or setting or measuring.

prophylactic

Processor E6850 @ 4.05 GHz
Motherboard Abit IP35 Pro
Cooling XP120 Extreme
Memory Ballistix PC8500
Video Card(s) 1900XTX @ 700/840
I had a similar issue. Lockups and such.. seemed like a video card, but it was actually the motherboad. You may want to try uninstalling, cleaning the drivers, and reinstalling. However, my issue was hardware, and nothing short of a new motherboard helped.

newmodder

System Name Gamer
Processor amd phenom quad core 9950 black edition
Motherboard msi ms-7309
Cooling 120mm front,120mm rear
Memory 2gigs ddr2 800
Video Card(s) BFG gtx 260 maxcore
Storage wd 160gig sata2 hd
Display(s) LG 20in widescreen
Case USP 100
Audio Device(s) onboard Logitech x-530 5.1 spkrs
Power Supply Antec Neo 550watt
Software windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
driver?

did uninstall your old drivers first, then install new card, then reinstall drivers?

newmodder

System Name Gamer
Processor amd phenom quad core 9950 black edition
Motherboard msi ms-7309
Cooling 120mm front,120mm rear
Memory 2gigs ddr2 800
Video Card(s) BFG gtx 260 maxcore
Storage wd 160gig sata2 hd
Display(s) LG 20in widescreen
Case USP 100
Audio Device(s) onboard Logitech x-530 5.1 spkrs
Power Supply Antec Neo 550watt
Software windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
oops

prophylactic said:
I had a similar issue. Lockups and such.. seemed like a video card, but it was actually the motherboad. You may want to try uninstalling, cleaning the drivers, and reinstalling. However, my issue was hardware, and nothing short of a new motherboard helped.

haha you just said that...didnt read all your post..sorry dood, but yeh that is what i would do too

RAA

Hey did you fix this problem?

Sounds alot like problem with OS, maybe reformat and new installatin will help. The best thing for cleaning ATI drivers is Driver Cleaner Pro. Simply, uninstall current ATI drivers, reboot in safe mode, run DCP, run all cab cleaner options [this takes 15 mins or so], then run normal cleaner and select ATI drivers, WDM, ATI uninstall and anything else you think is related to ATI. Reboot and it's as good as fresh installation of OS.

I've got same board and plan to get X1900XT.

prophylactic

Cooling XP120 Extreme
Memory Ballistix PC8500
Yeah, fixed my issue. What seemed to be the video card or the motherboard actually turned out being the power supply. I have a dedicated "video" power socket on my psu that, for some reason, I wasn't using, so my card wasn't getting all it needed. Changed that out, and now everything's perfectly fine.

I always uninstall drivers, restart into safe mode, run driver cleaner, restart, then install the new one. This wasn't an issue of drivers, as it originally seemed. Purely a power issue -- for me, at least.

RAA

Good.:)

My PSU doesn't have a proper connection for X1900XT but they usually come with an adaptor which goes to two molex on PSU, so should be fine. :toast:

prophylactic

Cooling XP120 Extreme
Memory Ballistix PC8500
Yeah, I was using a cable that was shared, instead of using the dedicated video cable. This really was my problem. They all come with adapters the molex-to-4 prong thing, but it's a total power hog, so make sure you have a psu that's up to par.