• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Creating a Kiosk with Windows 7

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
I just thought I'd share a small adventure in using Windows 7 64 bit as a Kiosk. To begin with I needed several systems locked down for a hiring event and only wanted IE to start up to a specific web page. So what does one do when you need information on a topic? Of course you search the web. So after searching through some quick guides I was ready to implement registry edits to create my Kiosk.

Starting with Winlogon under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | MICROSOFT | Windows NT | CurrentVersion

All examples stated replace the string value of Shell with iexplore.exe -k http://www.Techpowerup.com
Along with AutoLogon using Netplwiz and adding registry values of IgnoreShiftOverride, ForceAutoLogon values. Great I thought easy as pie and along with App Locker,Gpedit I can lock this puppy down. Works great if you like staring at a black screen and realizing that just isn't gonna work.

Well to cut to the chase and wrap up this little adventure and the half day of changing path setting, looking in the event log, testing this and testing that. Yes I pointed it to the folder path except it has to be pointed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\Iexplore.exe -k http://www.Techpowerup.com in the Shell value and not Program Files...

Such is the life of a Jockey of all trades and a Master of none... :slap:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Very interesting project, Urlyin.
Did you look into using group policy for some of what you needed instead of direct registry hacks?

Just wondering.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
Very interesting project, Urlyin.
Did you look into using group policy for some of what you needed instead of direct registry hacks?

Just wondering.

No hacks... I just used GPedit which is Global policy editor or open with MMC and add snap in for Local Policy. App Locker is also part of Win 7. Using Iexplore -k opens IE in Kiosk mode and replacing explorer for the shell execution was only one I used. The examples for registry changes were from the sites I researched.... was more for me to mention in 64 bit Win 7 you still had to point to the X86 directory for Iexplore. I still need to finish testing but the holidays came ... :)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I use Fortes 101 to lock down machines.

It is easy to configure to allow different levels of access, though it has a kiosk mode if you just are setting up kiosks, plus with a simple keystroke and a password the machine is back to being fully functional machine for loading new programs or running updates or doing maintenance.

Urlyin

I still do pencil mods
I use Fortes 101 to lock down machines.

It is easy to configure to allow different levels of access, though it has a kiosk mode if you just are setting up kiosks, plus with a simple keystroke and a password the machine is back to being fully functional machine for loading new programs or running updates or doing maintenance.

Thanks Newtekie1 but its basically a one time event and purchasing a solution really wasn't an option. Being it didn't need to be Fort Knox for one and knowing I could meet the requirements with the options I posted will suffice...

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Thanks Newtekie1 but its basically a one time event and purchasing a solution really wasn't an option. Being it didn't need to be Fort Knox for one and knowing I could meet the requirements with the options I posted will suffice...

I figured you didn't want to put out cash for a solution in your situation, I just wanted to add some info to the thread in case anyone stumbled along later down the road.:toast:

I used to use the manual method all the time before I found Fortres, and I always make the customer pay for it, it works out much cheaper compared to my time to configure everything manually.

System Name Achilleus
Processor Intel Core i7 4770k
Motherboard GIGABYTE Z87N-WIFI
Memory Patriot Intel Extreme Masters Viper 3 2133MHz (2x4GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970
Storage 2x Intel X25-M 160GB, 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB in RAID 1
Display(s) LG 29UB65-P
Case Bitfenix Prodigy
Power Supply PCP&C Silencer MK III 600W
Software Win7 Professional x64
hmm this fortres program looks interesting. wonder if it works with xpe/embedded s7, doesn't say it's compatible...will have to give it a try.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.