• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Creative MKII - FiiO E5 amp?

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
That's quite the plethora of expensive audio equipment of my dreams you have there! :eek:
I'm thinking since many reviews said the PC350's lacked some in the low end of the audio spectrum, the FiiO E5 amp might come in useful with the Bass Boost feature. Of course, I'll try them out first, but does anybody think it might be a helpful gadget?

If you have an EQ in your drivers, don't worry about it. RE0's lack in bass, and if a little EQ can fix them, you won't have a problem with the 350's.

The AD700's will leak sound into any nearby microphone is my main problem, making any nearby microphone unusable, which is a deal breaker. So I don't know :banghead:

I've been using one this Logitech noise canceling pedestal mic for years with no issues. In fact, other than picking up key clicks it's far less annoying for listeners than a typical boom mic.

If you're having second thoughts about the headset I say cancel the order. There are internet reviewers that say the AD700's have "good bass" if you use EQ; yes it does increase the bass a little but it's still severely lacking for music. I only use my 700's for listening to classical music when I'm writing because they are extremely comfortable.

Wouldn't count out the M50's. For me they have been a nice mix of the DT770's bass and AD700's accuracy and sound stage. They are also reasonably priced and could probably be used without amplification (38Ω).

Pineh

Thanks a lot for the tip on the AD700's bass. I listen to instrumentals but also a fair bit of Trance and such music that does rely on having at least a decent amount of bass. As for the M50's, I've considered them. I don't really like how they feel; a friend of mine has it, and they're a bit loosely upheld on my head but tightly at the same time. As for the sound, I didn't notice much difference over the Ghetto headset I was using previously (Creative Sound blaster Arena). Then again, I only tested my friend's M50 with onboard and for a very short time and his headset wasn't burned in as was mine, and I was also using EQ via my headset's integrated USB sound card (I know, don't laugh). I can get the M50's just about only off eBay for about $120, and then I'm missing out on a warranty (I've had a headset/headphones crap out on me after a week of normal usage due to some sort of design flaw or shipping damage, eBay sellers only allow for 5 business days after purchase). If you think the PC350's are fine with some equalization, then I believe you.

I'm not really an audiophile (Not yet at least :rolleyes:). I'm sure I'll love the PC350's, because my standards haven't been truly set by a great headset yet.

Edit: I'm still sure I'll like them, but earlier in this thread somebody suggested to also ask Head-Fi and I did. I keep getting very mixed responses on the thread I started there.

"I've had my PC350 headset for three years now, and I am still very pleased with them. After thousands of hours they are in the same condition they were when I finished breaking them in: spotless. The build quality is excellent, the sound is crisp and clear (both incoming and outgoing), and the closed headset makes them a better choice than the PC360 or AD700 if you go to lan parties etc...Don't let a few poor reviews scare you away. They may not be true audiophile equipment, I have yet to hear of a better gaming headset."

...closely followed by...

"The PC350 is nothing but a glorified VOIP headset. really. It is one of the most overpriced worst value for money products Sennhesier offers. Really. You're MUCH better off getting a proper stereo headphone and then getting a clip-on / lapel microphone."

I die inside a little every time I get these responses (and I get them a lot).
My spirit isn't broken yet and I'm still excited to get the PC350's, but why is this happening?

Edit: Sorry for the huge post, if anybody wants to read a bit more on my situation, please do.
These conflicting posts are absolutely making my head explode. When some people say it's absolutely perfect and others say it's garbage, there has to be something wrong!
There are so many people telling me the PC350's suck, however some people say they're amazing and say that you need to give them a chance.
I don't have that much money, and NCIX doesn't accept any returns for headphones (where I bought them from for $150 CAD, local store).
Many recommend the AD700, but I much prefer a closed pair of cans that have a microphone on them, not only that, but I do listen to Trance and such music and as such I do appreciate some bass, and everybody says the AD700's lacks bass, whereas some say the PC350 lacks bass and others say it has great bass after burn in. On Amazon, just about every review for the PC350 is positive. What other alternatives do I have? I want the PC350 but all these posts and threads contradicting each other are driving me insane.

Last edit for this post: THIS IS A TL;DR TYPE THING.
To summarize everything, the PC350 seems to be absolutely amazing for gaming, and adequate for music. I listen to music at any time I'm on a computer (and when travelling too) and I'm almost always on the computer.
So I need recommendations! Do you think I should start a new thread with a more appropriate title?
I need recommendations for: Gaming (FPS such as Call of Duty 4 and StarCraft II), Trance, Rock, Instrumental, and a bit of various other genres except rap/hip hop/pop/gangster/death hardcore screaming emo punk metal (...you get the idea :rolleyes:).

Last edited:

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
You need to ask yourself this, how much did those people knocking the 350's spend on their setups?

I do agree with them that a set of headphones and a separate mic will yield you better sound quality for the money. Headsets tack on a huge premium for their crappy, built in mics

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
I do agree with them that a set of headphones and a separate mic will yield you better sound quality for the money. Headsets tack on a huge premium for their crappy, built in mics

I agree as well.

Pineh, if you listen to music all the time, don't get a gaming headset. I was a gaming headset guy for a while, but trust me, once you get a proper pair of headphones, you will be amazed. I never really enjoyed music till I got Grados. Now I listen to music while doing many things, such as playing games, homework, etc. In order to enjoy the music, get the headphones that are best suited for music, not gaming!

Pineh

Alright, thanks guys. I've finally decided to drop the PC350's.
I'm looking to the 7H's. Before you laugh them off, see this. I've been doing quite a bit of research into them, and it seems they're not just for gaming like the 5H V2. The PC350's are better for gaming than the 7H, but the 7H has (reportedly) absolutely greatly enjoyable music quality.
I ended up asking Linus of NCIX and got a personal reply just about instantly. I gave him my options (PC350, Siberia V2, 7H) and told him if he could recommend any other headset.

He said 7H hands down, having listened to all of the above mentioned cans and the HD 555's too.
So, I also asked a couple professional reviewers from around the web, and again I got the reply that the 7H's were absolutely great and much better than the PC350's. They seem to suit me really well, and they also have good bass response while retaining the mids and highs.

Basically, I'm thinking of the 7H. Yes, it has a microphone, but don't write it off for that.

Last edited:
System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte UD5H
Cooling 212 Evo
Memory 4x4GB Kingston 1600 @ 1833 9cl
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage Corsair SSD, WD Black
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude > Fidelio X2s and AD-700s
Power Supply PCP&C Silent 950w
Software Win 10 Pro 64
AD700 or Sennheiser HD555's are the way to go I think. Sorry to keep pushing them on ya! ;)

The HD555s (and probably the new 558s), AD700s, A700s, Denon 1000-series, and a multitude of other headphones sound way better than the 7H and are better for gaming as well.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
The HD555s (and probably the new 558s), AD700s, A700s, Denon 1000-series, and a multitude of other headphones sound way better than the 7H and are better for gaming as well.

Listen to Frederik! He is a audiophile! He reviews the high end audio hardware and is also a regular on HeadFi, so he knows his stuff!

Pineh

Alright. The thing is, I can't see, to find any "real" pair of cans that suits me.
I need a closed pair of cans, so something like the AD700 or the HD 555's just won't do.
I'm looking into some Ultrasone HIFI series cans, where the HIFI 580's are just about my price limit, and even then only off eBay, where I don't get a warranty. I can't find the Denon 1000's for a fair price shipped to Canada either. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Alright. The thing is, I can't see, to find any "real" pair of cans that suits me.
I need a closed pair of cans, so something like the AD700 or the HD 555's just won't do.
I'm looking into some Ultrasone HIFI series cans, where the HIFI 580's are just about my price limit, and even then only off eBay, where I don't get a warranty. I can't find the Denon 1000's for a fair price shipped to Canada either. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Ok if you don't want to get a headset with a mic I highly recommend the Sony MDR7509's. They can be found on Ebay for $90ish US (or $200ish retail). They have no microphone, but are great closed headphones. I am an open air guy myself, but have a pair of the lesser Sony MDR7506's for the day to day commute to and from classes. They work great, but I hear the 7509's are even better!

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte UD5H
Cooling 212 Evo
Memory 4x4GB Kingston 1600 @ 1833 9cl
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage Corsair SSD, WD Black
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude > Fidelio X2s and AD-700s
Power Supply PCP&C Silent 950w
Software Win 10 Pro 64
Try the head-fi.org forums maybe someone is selling some headphones you want. I havent heard much about them, but there is a closed set of ATH A700s (not AD700). I'm sure they are superior!

There are Denon D1001S (silver) that are closed. Audiotechnica ATH ES7 are work a look. Senn HD25-1 are supposedly pretty good as well. Anything I can do to prevent you from getting a cheap headset I will try ;P