• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crypto Miners Paint GDDR Memory Chips to Hide Wear and Tear

Processor Threadripper 3955WX
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 4U SP3
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) 5700XT + 3x RX 590
Storage A lot
Display(s) ViewSonic G225fB
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply be quiet! DPP12 1500W
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
The raw toxicity and unchained hatred in this thread is simply amazing. Keep it up guys, it's easy to talk when you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth.

I have a feeling that people with interest are speaking out in favor of the cards with which it was mined. Whether they are miners or resellers with a commodity in stock that they intend to push on the naive, I have no idea. :)

nja

Gddr6x runs quite hot to begin with, and since mining cards were run 24/7 with the vram overclocked with a decent percentage of them running close to, or at, 110c where it starts to degrade beyond that, which is close to the self-destruct temperature of 120c, I don't see how you can say it's not risky. With that in mind, I bought a used mining 3080 last october for $450 from a highly rated seller on ebay fully prepared to return it if anything didn't seem right. As soon as I got it I ran stress tests on it and the vram stayed under 90c no matter how hard I tortured it so the guy took precautions, especially since it's a dell 3080 which are actually great cards if you use the thermal paste trick to keep the vram cool which the guy did, and the vram runs extremely hot if you don't, so he took care of it. So if you practice due diligence you can get a great used mining card for cheap, but there's no way in hell you can say it's not risky.

I don't know anyone with a mining rig who did not replace pads and paste to go sub 80.
Gaming scenarios make the g6x run as hot.
Then we should never buy used?

Low quality post by droopyRO
How on earth do you tell if a card from eBay has had a paint job? Or try going to someone's house who's advert you saw on Craigslist and ask them to take the cooler off to inspect the ram and gpu.
In 30 year selling I've never been asked or wanted to see the chips but if asked to see working and tested before purchase I am happy to.
Did you watch that video ? Buy from Ebay or meet at the sellers place. If something goes wrong, Ebay has you covered, or you can go to the guy's place and ask for your money back. If that dose not work then the Police is your next stop. But like i said, you have to learn how to read people, adds and what to look out for when buying second hand hardware. Also forums in your area are great for the SH market.

Contrary to what many seem to believe, electrical components do not have feelings, they dont protest going to work, and they dont get tired. These components have a rated service temperature range, and a rated life within that range. If you dont run them outside of those ranges it is fine. I dont know of any miners at least on the hobbyist level that pushed their hardware to the limits. Uptime was king, nobody wanted to be constantly fiddling with unstable overclocks or configs. Every miner out there was willing to and did trade off a tiny bit of hashrate for stability.

You know that once you OC DDR memory (GDDR5 etc) it will produce errors on the long run. With most miners a few hundreds of ECC errors where "fine" and in gaming it would actually cost performance. I wonder what happens with memory that runs consistent with ECC errors on the long run. Its not what it is designed for.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
I read a report elsewhere that suggested a recent batch of faililng AMD 6900's was likely sourced from mining stock that had sat in damp warehouse conditions. I'm pretty sure the hobby miners tried to look after their cards but on the industrial scale, I doubt it very much.
This.

And I've said this countless times, this is and will always be false.

Cards that were mined on had their memory overclocked to hell at voltages out of spec and have been running like that 24/7 for months or years. That is a very different use case compared to a card that has been used to game on.
If you can keep it cool that should matter none. The problem is many industrial farms didn't care.

Low quality post by TheDeeGee
System Name TheDeeGee's PC
Processor Intel Core i7-11700
Motherboard ASRock Z590 Steel Legend
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Crucial Ballistix 3200/C16 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti 12GB
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 2TB / Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) EIZO CX240
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, AKG K601 Headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Fanless TX-700
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Keychron Q6
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Benchmark Scores None, as long as my games runs smooth.
And people laugh at me for buying a brand new 4070 Ti.

The second hand GPU market can't trusted the next 5 years, if not 10 years. All thanks to these mining scumbags.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
If you can keep it cool that should matter none. The problem is many industrial farms didn't care
And the likelihood of a mining card being from a mining farm is extremely high.

And I've said this countless times, this is and will always be false.

Cards that were mined on had their memory overclocked to hell at voltages out of spec and have been running like that 24/7 for months or years. That is a very different use case compared to a card that has been used to game on.
Voltages *under* spec. It's evident that you don't know much about mining and are just shoving your anger onto miners.

Don't buy a used card if you don't want to, but if someone tells you a 30-series or prior GPU wasn't mined on, they're lying. And you have no way of knowing one way or the other.

if you practice due diligence you can get a great used mining card for cheap, but there's no way in hell you can say it's not risky.
I guess I should prefaced it with that. *If* you do your due diligence, there's very little risk. If you don't know anything about computers or their components, then yes, you should probably stay away from buying used.

I have a feeling that people with interest are speaking out in favor of the cards with which it was mined. Whether they are miners or resellers with a commodity in stock that they intend to push on the naive, I have no idea. :)
I've long since sold all my cards. It doesn't matter how upset you get about this, nothing will change the fact that "mined on" cards are a safer buy than getting them from a gamer. Or even an average PC user, for that matter. It's just a pet peeve of mine in the PC space when people who have absolutely no idea what they're talking about chime in with completely uninformed opinions, that they only have out of bitterness and not any real concern. Poking holes straight through that is fun and easy.

You know that once you OC DDR memory (GDDR5 etc) it will produce errors on the long run. With most miners a few hundreds of ECC errors where "fine" and in gaming it would actually cost performance. I wonder what happens with memory that runs consistent with ECC errors on the long run. Its not what it is designed for.
You think that running a chip at a safe voltage but unstable overclock will cause damage?

Please explain to me how that works. This could be revolutionary information for the semiconductor industry.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
The raw toxicity and unchained hatred in this thread is simply amazing. Keep it up guys, it's easy to talk when you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth.

No silver spoon here, in fact I came from being homeless as a teen to being successful with hard work. I didn’t screw anyone to get here, and have made things better for my kids and family. But we have a crypto plant less than 40 miles away that consumes more energy than the small town it’s next to and provides no benefit except to possibly enrich its investors.

They are using 280 Million watts of power in Texas now, supposed to be run from clean wind power….. it’s a waste and will only hurt communities who have the most need.

Last edited:
You think that running a chip at a safe voltage but unstable overclock will cause damage?

Lets not confuse a GPU running beyond spec vs GDDR6(x) memory that is left to produce errors (as Mining can take a few hundreds of errors a second) and usually above 100 degrees constant temp.

Yeah i'd like to see any long term effects of that.

Processor Ryzen 5700X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Arous Elite V2
Cooling Thermalright PA120
Memory Kingston FURY Renegade 3600Mhz @ 3733 tight timings
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6800
Storage 36TB
Display(s) Samsung QN90A
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Khadas Tone Pro 2, HD660s, KSC75, JBL 305 MK1
Power Supply Coolermaster V850 Gold V2
Mouse Roccat Burst Pro
Keyboard Dogshit with Otemu Brown
Software W10 LTSC 2021
I've said it before countless times, but "mined on" GPUs are exactly identical to ones that have been gamed on. There is no detectable difference - you have literally no way of knowing. The reason you have no way of knowing is because mining doesn't do anything different than any other use of a graphics card. The only thing that *might* matter is that fan bearings tend to wear out much faster (in terms of years of service) because they're running essentially 24/7. Everything else in the graphics card is exactly the same as new, same reliability - actually higher, since failure rates on new cards are highest right after purchase due to them not having been tested for sustained (days to weeks) periods.

I've bought cards that had clearly been mined on in a shed and were filthy. A few with actual water damage or rust on the coolers. You know the worst thing that happened? I had to replace some fans. I had multiple RX 480/580s that were mined on literally almost constantly for 7+ years and are now in service in other PCs. All of them still work.

This whole "mined GPUs are risky" thing is bitterness from people who didn't mine. Oops, I said it. It was annoying for me too, which is why I started mining. I would much, MUCH rather buy a used card from another miner than from a gamer. Miners were overwhelmingly doing it for profit, which means you need to keep your equipment in good working order. The average gamer doesn't even begin to know or care about PC maintenance.

Mining GPUs are fine. Don't buy them from China or overseas, obviously, but if you're in the US, Canada, western Europe, etc then the only thing you have to worry about is *possibly* replacing fans. Most cards that aren't from Zotac don't even require that much. Zotac cards pretty much guarantee the need for fan replacement, so keep that in mind. If replacing fans or thermal paste scares you, guess what: your only method of being certain a GPU hasn't been mined on is if you buy new. There is no way to tell, there is no physical evidence, and nothing stopping anyone from lying to you and saying "oh yeah for sure this card was never mined on, totally."
this guy has pretty much the right take

someone that knows what they are doing when mining will give you a much better card than a new one from factory in terms of reliability, without considering dust and possible fan wear of course.

most mining cards run undervolted so the die dragradation is gonna be close to zero starting from the fact that at stock voltages the degradation is already negligible, also the vrm caps as long as there is some air flow and stay @95c will last towards 15 years easily

people probably buying the cheapest of the cheapest from god knows where and blaming it on mining, when in reality the card probably wasnt even used for mining, most likely were used on asian "gaming cafes" with awful PSU, horrible case airflow, high ambient temperatures etc. Of course it wont last long, likely 3 years and 4 at most and they will just "reflow" it a couple times and then sell it to the first dummy that takes it for some money.

and im not here defending mining, despite it

Surprise 24/7 full load usage isn't good for the GPU's core, memory, VRM's, PCB, fans, ect...imagine that mined GPU' aren't the cream puffs miner's tried to distort people into believing.
GPU's core, memory, VRM's, PCB, fans, ect dont care for how long they run, only the conditions.

Capacitors do have a certain lifespan, shorter when run hot, longer when run cooled.

System Name Cyberdyne Systems Core
Processor AMD Sceptre 9 3950x Quantum neural processor (384 nodes)
Motherboard Cyberdyne X1470
Cooling Cyberdyne Superconduct SC5600
Memory 128TB QRAM
Storage SK 16EB NVMe PCI-E 9.0 x8
Display(s) Multiple LG C9 3D Matrix OLED Cube
Software Skysoft Skynet
This sounds more like a few miners have done this, out of the millions of them.
I'd be more concerned with all the nooby miners that ran cards on default clocks, vcore, and fanspeeds, and let them cook.

Although look at the 3080. I remember gamers complaining when the VRAM was hitting 105'C and throttling. They say it's in spec but I imagine that effecting the lifespan a fair bit. So basically any second hand card is a risk.

I remember mine hitting 96'C both gaming and mining. Swapped out the crappy chewing gum looking stuff NV fitted, with Gelid Extreme pads and it dropped to 82'C mining and gaming. Though it did also raise the core temp by a few degrees too.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed K/DA
Keyboard Logitech K400 Plus
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."
Ah, yes, miners always run their cards undervolted, optimized, under constant load and even with an AC, totally not a mere tool for a quick profit

Also bitcoin is not a ponzi, NFTs are not a scam, and crypto in general is not a fraud, much less a fad or craze.

I dunno I only have one word to describe what I feel and I guess that is "contempt"

Are the chips non-functional or degraded in anyway? My statement can and was meant to apply to the original post as well.

You tell me, dude. Hardware which is heat discolored and has physical packaging damaged from heat and current is totally in perfect shape or working order yeah! Might even work for 15 minutes underclocked before it croaks. True bargain!

Last edited:
You gotta be dumb not to optimize it's voltage/frequency curve. If you run a mining rig of at least 8 cards, you would be saving 50w on avg per card which equals to 400W of savings an hour. Thats like saving half of a toaster in power requirement.

System Name Project Kairi Mk. IV "Eternal Thunder"
Processor 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS Special Edition
Motherboard MSI MEG Z690 ACE (MS-7D27) BIOS 1G
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 w/ Thermalright BCF and NT-H1
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6800 F5-6800J3445G16GX2-TZ5RK @ 6400 MT/s 30-38-38-38-70-2
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX™ 4080 16GB GDDR6X White OC Edition
Storage 1x WD Black SN750 500 GB NVMe + 4x WD VelociRaptor HLFS 300 GB HDDs
Display(s) 55-inch LG G3 OLED
Case Cooler Master MasterFrame 700
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio (classic) + Sony MDR-V7 cans
Power Supply EVGA 1300 G2 1.3kW 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed K/DA
Keyboard Logitech K400 Plus
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2
Benchmark Scores "Speed isn't life, it just makes it go faster."

Speaking strictly for myself, after what cryptocurrency did to the GPU market and its ruinous, predatory effect on things that matter to me, I can have only toxicity and unchained hatred towards it. I have no interest in speculation with fake "money", and never had. We still feel the effects of the boundless greed and supply strain that non-gamers caused in the tech market as a whole by buying 30+ gaming cards for mining.

Not to mention cards that could have gotten people thousands of hours of creativity or entertainment, or used for noble purposes such as protein folding for cancer research were practically spent on generating some fake wealth digital token to fuel the largest ponzi in history. Sounds like an excellent deal to me, just imagine if you fed the hashing power of the Ethereum network at its height into folding at home instead. What a waste.

I think the most wholesome story I've ever heard about crypto speculation is that someone managed to make enough to pay for their daughter's tuition once. Which may also be the most noble use of this ponzi if anything... I still hate it.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Silver lining. If they are going to these lengths now, its entirely possible they are feeling more of a squeeze from the apprehensive second hand market.

Before it just wasn't selling, now they are investing time into them. Good. I hope they waste more time, I hope they sit longer. Until they are too out moded to be useful. I want these "investments" to sit as long as humanly possible in the upper left shelf of their closet. Depreciating.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus (Wi-Fi)
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE; Arctic P12, F12
Memory Crucial BL8G32C16U4W.M8FE1 ×2
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6600 XT
Storage Kingston SKC3000D/2048G; Samsung MZVLB1T0HBLR-000L2; Seagate ST1000DM010-2EP102
Display(s) AOC 24G2W1G4
Case Sama MiCube
Audio Device(s) Somic G923
Power Supply EVGA 650 GD
Mouse Logitech G102
Keyboard Logitech K845 TTC Brown
Software Windows 10 Pro 1903, Dism++, CCleaner
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z 17.01.64: 3700X @ 4.6 GHz 1.3375 V scoring 557/6206; 760K @ 5 GHz 1.5 V scoring 292/964
That's no new news. Back in the GTX 10 days, a lot of renewed cards must have been like this.

Processor AMD Ryzen 3800X / AMD 8350
Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Revision 3.0
Cooling Stock / Corsair H100
Memory 32GB / 24GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6800 / AMD Radeon 290X (Toggling until 6950XT)
Storage C:\ 1TB SSD, D:\ RAID-1 1TB SSD, 2x4TB-RAID-1
Display(s) Samsung U32E850R
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black rev. 2 / Fractal Design
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1300G2 / EVGA Supernova 850G+
Mouse Logitech M-U0007
Keyboard Logitech G110 / Logitech G110
Look at the profiles and the post count of the pro-used, some of them have very low post counts, that should give people an idea of where they're coming in from.

I'm surprised so many tech new outlets forgot about crypto hashers using freaking pressure-washers to make the cards look new. Then one hasher in/around Germany sells pressured washed cards, doesn't dry them on top of that and then suddenly AMD is demonized by half the tech places that don't ask difficult questions like, "Hm, only one repair shop on the entire planet is reporting this!" :rolleyes:

And they're called crypto hashers, because they're generating hashes. If they were crypo "miners" they'd have a 20 pound pick axe and would be doing actual work contributing to society instead of driving up electricity costs.

I hope they waste more time, I hope they sit longer. Until they are too out moded to be useful. I want these "investments" to sit as long as humanly possible in the upper left shelf of their closet. Depreciating.
Hey, thems some nice clamps!

Processor AMD Ryzen 3800X / AMD 8350
Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Revision 3.0
Cooling Stock / Corsair H100
Memory 32GB / 24GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 6800 / AMD Radeon 290X (Toggling until 6950XT)
Storage C:\ 1TB SSD, D:\ RAID-1 1TB SSD, 2x4TB-RAID-1
Display(s) Samsung U32E850R
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black rev. 2 / Fractal Design
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 1300G2 / EVGA Supernova 850G+
Mouse Logitech M-U0007
Keyboard Logitech G110 / Logitech G110
lmao I hadn't heard of that one time to go pressure wash my GPU that can't and won't cause any possible damage...
The stupid is real:

Also they're crypto hashers as the cards are used to generate hashes whereas an actual miner uses a 20 pound pick axe and does actual work contributing to society. I used the "miners" in the search because otherwise the results would be skewed because people don't know how to English! :mad:

System Name HELLSTAR
Processor AMD RYZEN 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS Strix X570-E
Cooling 2x 360 + 280 rads. 3x Gentle Typhoons, 3x Phanteks T30, 2x TT T140 . EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-4133C19D-16GTZR 14-16-12-30-44
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900XTX + under waterblock.
Storage Optane 900P[W11] + WD BLACK SN850X 4TB + 750 EVO 500GB + 1TB 980PRO[FEDORA]
Display(s) Philips PHL BDM3270 + Acer XV242Y
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow V3 - Yellow Switch
Software FEDORA 39 / Windows 11 insider
IMHO it is all FAKE news... another journalism hype about nothing.

I guess no one has seen how cards look like coming from RMA channels. Someone saw few and makes an article... great.