• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CTS Labs Sent AMD and Other Companies a Research Package with Proof-of-Concept Code

Low quality post by lewis007

Tumbler1987

Processor Intel i7 8700K 5GHz
Motherboard Asus Z370 Prime
Cooling Swiftech H220X
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 3000
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Sony Bravia 75" 75X900 4K HDR
Case Corsair Graphite 760T
Power Supply EVGA 1300W
Software Windows 10 64bit Pro
There's nothing to defend here when there are zero evidence and obviously the whitepaper barely makes any sense. You need a signed bios in one attack to run the malicious code.
It's like saying that MS is potentially distributing malware, because they sign their and their partners' drivers with a key and if that key is available, then you could sign your malware and spread it as MS software.
This has happened before and the key was published by mistake by microsoft... that's how you get those rights to produce and run signed s/w.

What has this become, the JIDF?
The guy said that Jew politics are shady, and reality shows that they claimed Palestine's land as theirs, they built a Wall to keep the natives away from their territory, they keep expanding their borders with various methods, including bombing and they kill on sight anyone who seems not to happy about those israeli soldiers who walk around with rifles.
You should not disagree with the jews, goy, that's antisemetic.:kookoo:

You have 0, that's zero, idea what you are talking about. Malware is many things, it's adware, trojan, virus, rootkit. Most malware doesn't run with root priviledges in many systems, it just needs a certain type of privileges to do its work. Most malware doesn't get planted magically on a PC, and it is usually a user's fault.
I could go on and on, but it's a lost cause, with people who have already shaped opinions and specific dislikes, not even mentioning the theoretical background.
Anyhoo, here's a simple example about the "rm -rf /" malware.
System: Loonix distro w/ systemd.
Systemd mounts Bios partitions in /dev/ and some versions mount it with write privileges for the root user...
If you "run rm -rf /" , you delete parts of your memory mapped bios. what does this mean? It means for for the motherboard to get bricked.
2 bios chips? you have a great chance that you will get it to POST in the next reboot.
1 bios chip? either you have to bring your soldering iron, or try an SPI programmer and there might be a chance for that motherboard.
How does this example align with the current situation?
You could for example take that file pointer from /dev/ and fill it with your "crafted bios"
then from the paper:
>Exploiting MASTERKEYrequires an attacker to be able to reflash the BIOS with a specially crafted BIOS update
nice, and how do you do that
>we suspect an attacker couldoccasionally still succeed in reflashing the BIOS
"suspect"... so you are not very sure.
let's go forth
>This could be done by first exploiting RYZENFALL or FALLOUT
nice, so I have to read Ryzenfall (that's a big claim there on the name) first
let's go to Ryzenfall's technique.
>Accessing the Secure Processor is done through a vendor supplied driver that is digitally signed
What?
So you tell me that asrock, asus, asmedia, american bios, can haz malware with their AMD supplied key?
so, you get the sign, you sign your code and this means that you can have either some microcode running on the cpu in ring -X, or on the bios itself.
How do you obtain the key? well someone has to provide it to you.
So there's no flaw there, a CPU, a peripheral, an embedded system _must_ run digitally signed firmware.
Where's the flaw? I have no idea? MS mistakenly had debug symbols on one of their supplied drivers, they lost a key, they invalidated it and its past.... we had good laughs.

But how come the almighty hack4z0rd W2zzard come up with "malware?
let's see the paper: a 20 page whitepaper that has zero facts, many mistakes, some ridiculous assumptions and some repetitive charts has 32 occurrences of the word "malware".
They are talking about the Arm Trustzone security "flaws", which ofc you have to exploit(if any) in order to gain access to the AMD PSP processor and there's hardly any mention of "Arm flaw".
There's some claim on twitter by one of the CTS guys, that ASMedia has an open windows on their firmware and there's no "ASMedia flaw" (they even say that asmedia's flaw exists because a few years ago asmedia lost a key :facepalm: )

conclusion:
there are some people out there, like w2zzard, who feel that it is their duty to bash some companies... and this has an impact on their sites. I found this thread because w2zzard wrote what he thinks is plausible, backlinks to amdflaws.com, then amdflaws.com backlinks here to say that this is a credible source(someone's opinion) so go read the "article on tpu or vice( :puke: ) or other yellow sites.
If there's some PoC that does this, e.g. they get the key from a signed f/w with debug symbols still on the binary( doubt it coz of many embedded system reasons), then you just gain the ability to talk to the cpu. the Arm trustzone and the AMD PSP is well documented on some extend, therefore there's no "security by obscurity" as e.g. in the Intel ME where they didn't even said to the people that they ran on minix.
Unlike the PSP, ME has security flaws, that's why they found many parts of that system, that's how they found the OS it's running, the TCP/IP stack and so forth... that's how the documentation for the ME was written.
Arm trustzone IPs and f/w is available for purchase via Arm holdings. There's nothing to hide, the system has perfect documentation and there's a sh-tload of companies using it and debugging it. You set your own key and the system is secured.
That's a totally different approach and to be quite honest security by obscurity was a method they used in the 50s and 60s.

bonus:
the fail overflow team managed to get priviledges on the ps4 to run linux. how did they did it? there's a video on yt about this. The most interesting thing is that they had physical access to the board, a soldering iron, cables, programmers and a southbridge that was not made by AMD and had privileges to do IOMMU/DMA with the cpu.
They could easily claim "amdead" "ambankrupt" "$0 stock value" and what not, but they are professionals, first, and foremost they are people who have the background to do such exploits.
They knew it's not a Jaguar flaw when your southbridge rights on the memory of the system which is supposed to alter.

grats TPU, you gained, for another time, a few cheap Clicks.
clap();
wait(2000);
clap();
wait(2000);
clap();
return;

P.S.: I might be a Jew, you don't know. Disagreeing with me makes you an potential anti-semite. How does that make you feel? How are you going to sleep tonight?
P.S.: I wonder if there's an occurrence of code running so close to the metal and called malware. If my memory serves me right, this term is not used in bare metal situations and requires an OS and a security flaw to be called malware by researchers (those who submit papers, not those with a credit card and internet access to namecheap for a domain), but I am not sure. Food for thought anyways. See ya in several years again when another bubble hits the market.

Why so much vitriol? If you hate TPU so much, then you should read your tech news from other websites.

I should warn you though, get ready to be sorely disappointed, as the news on these flaws have been reported on almost every single reputable tech site, and even on non tech related news websites, so you'll have to deal with the fact that this is a newsworthy development, I would suggest avoiding reading about it if it rubs you in such a wrong way.

As far as W1zzard's credentials, he's been developing hardware level hacking tools since the days when Ati was still around, I remember using his OCing tools back when I had a Radeon 8500 in the early 2000s, so give the man some credibility, that gives him a fair advantage when formulating a well educated guess on the veracity of these alleged flaws.

Either way, this is a tech site, and TPU has every right to report on these very relevant news, they can't just turn a blind eye, or bury their heads in the sand while everyone else is reporting on it.

Idk why people are rushing to conclusions without even hearing from AMD, obviously this has caught the tech world by surprise, I strongly advise to wait for an official acknowledgement by AMD before formulating theories about the origins of the vulnerabilities, and the extent of damage we can expect from them if they're in fact real.

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I think he takes exception to the delivery here, not the news itself. ;)

Anyway, it may be a couple of days before we hear anything from AMD. As I understand things, third party validation took 4-5 days.

That said, I just noticed an update in the AT from this morning that may clarify one thing or another... or not.

Update 3/14 5:00am ET
Reported by Ars Technica, a second security firm has now spoken publicly about being contacted by CTS-Labs for verification of the vulnerabilities. Gadi Evron, CEO of Cymmetria, stated in a series of tweets that:

1. He knows CTS-Labs and vouches for their technical capabilities, but has no knowledge of their business model
  2. All the vulnerabilites do not require physical access (a simple exe is all that is needed)
  3. Fallout does not require a reflash of the BIOS
  4. CTS-Labs believes that the public has a right to know if a vendor they are using makes them vulnerable, which is why no substantial lead time was given.
Quoted by Ars is David Kanter, founder of Real World Technologies and industry consultant, who verifies that even though these are secondary stage attacks, they can still be highly important. David states that while

"All the exploits require root access - if someone already has root access to your system, you're already compromised. This is like if someone broke into your home and they got to install video cameras to spy on you".​
Ars also quotes Dan Guido, who states that all that is needed to enable these exploits is the credentials of a single administrator:

"Once you have administrative rights, exploiting the bugs is unforunately not that complicated."

I compare it to..

"Breaking an Entering" vs "Trespassing" your still not authorized to be there. Heck you can Trespass through a open door.

Well if i put a uniform and disguise myself as a cop (signed credentials) its okay right? What ever I do there after is there for a vulnerability.

Impersonating a public safety officer has very severe penalties.

Going to put a lot of strippers out of work

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Impersonating a public safety officer has very severe penalties.

How is Ryzen more adversely impacted than a Core i7 once root access is gained? In either case, I'd argue you already lost the war. Why do these 13 vulnerabilities matter at all? It's like comparing the aftermath of an ant invasion versus a earwig invasion. Full damage control mode response is more or less the same, no?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Still, when you have admin access, does it really matter at that point anymore?

When the malware can then survive a subsequent reinstall?

Yes.

The real vulnerability right there. What if I told you there is a vulnerability in the wild that allows anyone to do anything to a system no matter the OS. Its called the login/password.

That's been false since "hardware security" became a thing.

Or, it was supposed to be.

While everyone is speculating on this "revelation",
did we notice who did not get the package???

Rather telling don't you think?

Why didn't the Linux foundation receive it?
They're usually the first to come out with
corrective code. If we're doing a "public service"
why not give it to the parties most likely to
correct the problem first? Oh... it becomes
open source and everyone gets to see what
it is... or isn't... anyone ever try to get root
access on a Linux box lately?

Because linux doesn't run on the PSP?

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
All and all, I think this is good that all those vulnerabilities are disclosed now, or in the recent months, since all of those most likely were already known by the governments.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
All and all, I think this is good that all those vulnerabilities are disclosed now, or in the recent months, since all of those most likely were already known by the governments.

I'm less conspiritorial than that. I know, I know, they've hoarded vulnerabilities in the past, but I'd like to believe complex ones like this to be beyond their needs or desires.

I think he takes exception to the delivery here, not the news itself. ;)

Anyway, it may be a couple of days before we hear anything from AMD. As I understand things, third party validation took 4-5 days.

That said, I just noticed an update in the AT from this morning that may clarify one thing or another... or not.

My question is why give Intel a 6 month lead in with their vulnerabilities and not AMD, Im no security expert but why give a company like CTS so much validity when they themselves state on their website that they make money from the corporations they are investigating, if that isn't a red flag then what is?

My question is why give Intel a 6 month lead in with their vulnerabilities and not AMD, Im no security expert but why give a company like CTS so much validity when they themselves state on their website that they make money from the corporations they are investigating, if that isn't a red flag then what is?

If you mean Spectre and Meltdown, those vulnerabilities was not just only in Intel's processors. Meltdown and Spectre were on IBM power 8/9 and some ARM manufacturers too. And Spectre was even on wider range of processors including AMD. And yes they were all given over the norm 90 days to respond on those vulnerabilities before making them public...

But yeah 24 hours is too short time to respond and makes all this very suspicious. Makes it feels like a stock manipulation scam disguised with real but not so severe vulnerabilities.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Cts answered that already. If you believe it or not is the issue... ;)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
You have 0, that's zero, idea what you are talking about. Malware is many things, it's adware, trojan, virus, rootkit. Most malware doesn't run with root priviledges in many systems, it just needs a certain type of privileges to do its work. Most malware doesn't get planted magically on a PC, and it is usually a user's fault.

I love posts like these. Ones where the person claims the other person has no idea what their talking about, then immediately goes on to make a statement that confirms what the other person said. It's so hilarious.

How is Ryzen more adversely impacted than a Core i7 once root access is gained? In either case, I'd argue you already lost the war. Why do these 13 vulnerabilities matter at all? It's like comparing the aftermath of an ant invasion versus a earwig invasion. Full damage control mode response is more or less the same, no?

It basically comes down to the management core built into the processor. When it was discovered that all Intel CPUs include an extra, basic, x86 CPU core that is initialized very early in the boot sequence that is responsible for managing all the other functions of the CPU, and it ran an open source LInux distro, it was immediately assumed that this was a security risk. If the Intel ME firmware could be replaced with something malicious, it would be very bad. However, Intel seems to have put in some very good checks to make sure this didn't happen.

Well, now we know that AMD has a similar extra CPU core that does management on their processors. However, they use an ARM Cortex based core. And it seems their checks to making sure the management engine isn't replaced with malicious content are not as hard to crack as Intel's. Allowing malicious code to much more easily be injected into the management engine. And once the malicious code is in the management engine, it is going to be extremely difficult to get out. These are low level functions of the CPU that normally have no real exposure to the OS, or even the BIOS.

That's all assuming that we believe CTS. Which I'm still hesitant to do. I believe they are doing this just to make a name for themselves.

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
memory mapped bios. what does this mean? It means for for the motherboard to get bricked.
you are talking about the bios shadow copy? that's not memory mapped but copied to system ram at bootup, and thus writes do not affect the flash chip contents

requires an attacker to be able to reflash the BIOS with a specially crafted BIOS update
nice, and how do you do that
talk to the flash chip directly, to erase and write nand pages directly, the same way the flashing software does it

>Accessing the Secure Processor is done through a vendor supplied driver that is digitally signed
What?
So you tell me that asrock, asus, asmedia, american bios, can haz malware with their AMD supplied key?
so, you get the sign, you sign your code and this means that you can have either some microcode running on the cpu in ring -X, or on the bios itself.
How do you obtain the key? well someone has to provide it to you.
I interpret "vendor supplied driver" as "the manufacturer of the chip has provided an (already signed) driver that's available to the public", that can be used for this purpose.
otherwise just make your own driver driver that does pci config space accesses through cf8, to find out mmio ranges and then write to these or map into user-space
the claim by cts is that the firmware hash checks on bootup can be bypassed

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
System Name Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H110i Icue Push/Pull
Memory G Skill TridentZ F4-3600C16-16GTZNC 64GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 M.2 PCIe NVME
Display(s) AOC CU34G2X 34" Curved UltraWide QHD 3440x1440, VA Panel, 1ms 144MHz
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T Mesh
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 220-G3-1000-X1
Software Windows 11 Pro
This is clearly a scam by CTS-Labs to short the stock hoping it would tank and or get ready, "Opposition Research". Complete scam... They even put up a website amdflaws? hahahah How about a website called IntelSucksToo?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Was that a secret ?

I don't think most knew about it until very recently. And we definitely didn't know the inner workings of it, like that it was ARM Cortex based.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I don't think most knew about it until very recently. And we definitely didn't know the inner workings of it, like that it was ARM Cortex based.
I vaguely remember hearing about the Secure Processor being "ARM" during the first Zen briefings. Maybe it wasn't that widely communicated because wasn't really relevant until a few days ago.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
AMD was never quiet about Secure Processor being ARM. They actually say it's a Cortex-A5 in their white papers:
https://developer.amd.com/amd-secure-memory-encryption-sme-amd-secure-encrypted-virtualization-sev/

Of course we don't know what kind of operating system it is running. The vulnerabilities in Intel ME were exposed when it was discovered it was a branch of Linux.

Edit: Looks like Secure Processor might be open sourced. Maybe not all of it but:
https://github.com/AMDESE/AMDSEV

Edit: So yeah, AMD needs to push an update out for the Secure Processor to shut down the holes that were discovered. That sounds important, yeah, and another strike against the secure processor inside of the processor but it definitely doesn't warrant all the fanfare that was generated.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570 Pro
Cooling Deepcool LS-720
Memory 32 GB (4x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 XT Gaming OC
Storage Samsung PM9A1 (980 Pro OEM) + 960 Evo NVMe SSD + 830 SATA SSD + Toshiba & WD HDD's
Display(s) Samsung C32HG70
Case Lian Li O11D Evo
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Zx
Power Supply Seasonic 750W Focus+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G703 Lightspeed
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
I vaguely remember hearing about the Secure Processor being "ARM" during the first Zen briefings. Maybe it wasn't that widely communicated because wasn't really relevant until a few days ago.
AMD has used and been open about ARM Trustzone based Secure Processor since 2013, it's not new in Zen.