• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cyberpower UPS problems: Causes PC to restart on power loss when on high load

System Name Cerberus
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Antec Kuhler H2o 620
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper 3200 Mhz
Video Card(s) ROG Strix 1080Ti
Storage ADATA SX8200PNP 256 GB + Western Digital WD10EARS-00MVWB0 1TB
Display(s) 3 27-inch
Audio Device(s) OnBoard
Power Supply Xilence Performance X 750W
Mouse ROG Gladius II Origin
Keyboard ROG Strix Flare
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
So the Cyberpower representative recommend you buy more cyberpower equipment. Are we surprised by this response?

Again we have a response from a man that designs modern power supplies for a living. I'd take his response that the power supplies can handle modified sine wave more than the response of a company rep saying "buy more of our product". Just saying.
Neither is wrong! I don't think its a matter of him pushing me to buy more of their stuff (I could buy pure sine from another brand for all he knows). In fact he showed that he cared and I can understand it even better because he happened to be from my country and I can see it from the way he talks :p You just approach it from a different angle.
Getting a higher quality PSU will probably work. Getting the UPS they suggest will also work! Its essentially a matter of "distortion amount" the PSU can take before the protection kicks in and that amount is less with lower or mid-range quality PSU like mine. The reason it works below 350 watts is because thats the amount of distortion it can take because of the Active PFC. Above that it trips.
Your EVGA super nova probably won't feel a thing with that UPS. But mine would need a pure sine wave one to not freak out when the power goes out.
You are approaching it from a tech enthusiast mentality which always mandates to have high quality power supplies (which ofc is correct) so you will point the finger at the PSU first which is understandable.
So stop arguing. Both sides are correct in a way. I will just choose to get the new UPS instead of replacing the PSU.

Last edited:
System Name CyberPowerPC ET8070
Processor Intel Core i5-10400F
Motherboard Gigabyte B460M DS3H AC-Y1
Memory 2 x Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super
Storage 500GB SN550 WD Blue NVMe M.2
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply Apevia 600W Gold 80 Plus
Software Windows 11 Home
So the Cyberpower representative recommend you buy more cyberpower equipment. Are we surprised by this response?

Again we have a response from a man that designs modern power supplies for a living. I'd take his response that the power supplies can handle modified sine wave more than the response of a company rep saying "buy more of our product". Just saying.

I have the greatest respect for Jon Gerow (aka JonnyGuru), but he does not design power supplies.

I'm not saying he is wrong or that he is not very knowledgeable, and I sorely miss his eponymous site no longer being up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 205776

Neither is wrong! I don't think its a matter of him pushing me to buy more of their stuff (I could buy pure sine from another brand for all he knows). In fact he showed that he cared and I can understand it even better because he happened to be from my country and I can see it from the way he talks :p You just approach it from a different angle.
Getting a higher quality PSU will probably work. Getting the UPS they suggest will also work! Its essentially a matter of "distortion amount" the PSU can take before the protection kicks in and that amount is less with lower or mid-range quality PSU like mine. The reason it works below 350 watts is because thats the amount of distortion it can take because of the Active PFC. Above that it trips.
Your EVGA super nova probably won't feel a thing with that UPS. But mine would need a pure sine wave one to not freak out when the power goes out.
You are approaching it from a tech enthusiast mentality which always mandates to have high quality power supplies (which ofc is correct) so you will point the finger at the PSU first which is understandable.
So stop arguing. Both sides are correct in a way. I will just choose to get the new UPS instead of replacing the PSU.
I'd rather replace the PSU with something of higher quality but you do you.