• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cyberpunk 2077: XeSS 1.1 vs. FSR 2.1 vs. DLSS 3 Comparison

Cyberpunk 2077 recently received its famous RT Overdrive patch with official support for Intel's Xe Super Sampling 1.1 (XeSS 1.1), NVIDIA's Deep Learning Anti-Aliasing (DLAA), and they've updated the quality of existing implementations for DLSS Super Resolution and DLSS Frame Generation. In this mini-review we take a look, comparing the image quality and performance gains offered by these technologies.

Show full review

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!
This review is outdated. FSR 2.1 was released back on Sep 14, 2022. Why is tpu not using February 21 2023? Old data is bad data simply put.

This review is outdated. FSR 2.1 was released back on Sep 14, 2022. Why is tpu not using February 21 2023? Old data is bad data simply put.
Because that is the option in Cyberpunk?

Does it fix the insane shimmering as seen in the video here? Because that is so terrible I don't think you even turn FSR on. They have to fix that.

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!
Because that is the option in Cyberpunk?

Does it fix the insane shimmering as seen in the video here? Because that is so terrible I don't think you even turn FSR on. They have to fix that.

Does it fix it with FSR 2.2? I don't know I do not see FSR 2.2 results. Do you?

No answer why FSR 2.2 was not run? Did TPU reach out to Project Red to ask why no FSR 2.2 support?

And why compare FSR 2.x vs. DLSS 3.x, two different techniques. Apples vs. oranges...

Last edited:
System Name Lexx
Processor Threadripper 2950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Zenith Extreme
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32/64GB Corsair 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Liquid Devil 6900XT
Storage 4TB Solid State PCI/NVME/M.2
Display(s) LG 34" Curved Ultrawide 160Hz
Case Thermaltake View T71
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Asus
VR HMD NA
Software Windows 10 Pro
Didn't watch the video, but accept the shimmering as a real thing. Outside of the video, and focusing on the static image quality between 4K an 1080p, IMO the FSR image quality is pretty good actually, with several areas - like the texture of the palm tree trunk being "nicer", and some distance detail seeming more pronounced, which I think I prefer - but not that you'd ever notice if you were playing the game.

Zooming around those images, I think the FSR images are doing a nice job. I thought, from the reviews, that they'd be garbage.

I still won't turn upscaling on in games - mostly because I don't need it, but if I did, (outside of shimmering) from the static images, I'd be happy with either.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
@maxus24 people are wondering why FSR 2.2 was not used for this game. I am not sure, is it available for CP 2077?

System Name Ultima
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard MSI Mag B550M Mortar
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 rev4 w/ Ryzen offset mount
Memory G.SKill Ripjaws V 2x16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB Gen4, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB , 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD sata,
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG249Q3A 24" 1080p 165-180Hz VRR
Case DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200 Audio/Nvidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3 Wireless | Wacom Intuos CTH-480
Keyboard A4Tech B314 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
i dont think fsr 2.2 is available natively, 2.2 is only through mods

System Name Home
Processor 5950x
Motherboard Asrock Taichi x370
Cooling Thermalright True Spirit 140
Memory Patriot 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6700 10gb
Storage Too many to count
Display(s) U2518D+u2417h
Case Chieftec
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply seasonic prime 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 10
Several games that look much better than Cyberpunk have launched, this is not the standard anymore for benchmarking GPU's, it's just another game that Nvidia insists reviewers include in tests.

Processor Intel Core i7-975 @ 4.4 GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage III GENE
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 3x4 GB GeIL Enhance Plus 1750 MHz CL 9
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon HD 7970 3 GB
Storage Samsung F2 500 GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 2243LNX
Case Antec Twelve Hundred V3
Audio Device(s) VIA VT2020
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 1000 W Special OC Edition
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
However, in Cyberpunk 2077, the DLSS, FSR 2.1 and XeSS 1.1 upscalers are practically identical in terms of performance gain over native TAA across all resolutions.
This is true but only with ray tracing enabled. Without RT Intel's upscaling is significantly slower on non-Arc GPUs than FSR and DLSS.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
I keep reading about shimmering, but I played CP77 when fsr 2 was first added on a 5700XT and didn't have any shimmering. Was that a nice "feature" added in an update?
edit: watched video...that looks like a bug. It doesn't seem to happen when moving and it's highly focused on just that shrub/tree. That absolutely didn't happen when I played.

I find it funny that "muh DLSS is so good" as you hear by NV fans, but that texture quality is HORRIFIC compared to FSR in 1440/4k. Look at the tree and flat grass LOL.
vaSSeline strikes, again

I use XeSS in Hitman as the AA is really good in it. But there's no performance benefit.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Does it fix it with FSR 2.2? I don't know I do not see FSR 2.2 results. Do you?

No answer why FSR 2.2 was not run? Did TPU reach out to Project Red to ask why no FSR 2.2 support?

And why compare FSR 2.x vs. DLSS 3.x, two different techniques. Apples vs. oranges...

what a weird comment man, its up to the game developer to implement what they implement, why would TPU care to ask why some stuff is or isnt done?
TPU simply compares what is in the game right now....as that is the only thing that matters....

If you care so much about why FSR2.2 isnt in the game, you go ahead and contact them.

"And why compare" dude..... idk if you know but they are all upscaling tech, their PURPOSE is the same, what the tech behind it is doesnt matter, what matters is the result...so you can compare them just fine.
Heck with your attitude we would not be able to compare just about anything, Intel vs AMD cpu's? Nvidia vs AMD gpu's? Ford F150 vs Rivian R1T? all different technologies so...yeah...

I mean maxus is using highest version of dlss available always by manually updating even though normal users don't do that. If higher fsr version is available through mod, it should be done for the sake of consistency.

Who is maxus? and what does it matter if TPU doesnt do that?
Hell the latest version of DLSS isnt even always the best version, the newer version of DLSS in Quake RTX produces poor results, which can be fixed by changing it out for an older version.

TPU just checks what is in the game and how they compare, comparing modded content obviously is something that COULD be done but not something TPU is doing and that is fine.

Several games that look much better than Cyberpunk have launched, this is not the standard anymore for benchmarking GPU's, it's just another game that Nvidia insists reviewers include in tests.

Well "look much better" is subjective, personally I never found the Cyberpunk that was actually released to look impressive, but the reason its still used is because it does simply have the most advanced RT implementation, that is the only thing to keep it relevant, its a tech demo.

Last edited:

forgotten05

Maxus is the reviewer lol... If you take a look at previous fsr dlss etc comparisons, in some of them, you'll see if newer version of Dlss improves results, newer version(non default) is being used by manually replacing the Dlss file. So what you said is, tpu is just using what is in the game is incorrect. That'd why I said that about fsr 2.2 thingy.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Maxus is the reviewer lol... If you take a look at previous fsr dlss etc comparisons, in some of them, you'll see if newer version of Dlss improves results, newer version(non default) is being used by manually replacing the Dlss file. So what you said is, tpu is just using what is in the game is incorrect. That'd why I said that about fsr 2.2 thingy.

I mean if I read the top of the article it doesnt say anything about using custom modded in versions of DLSS, it says the game itself was updated supporting the latest version, it is basically an Nvidia tech demo at this point so that makes sense that they actively update and implement Nvidia's tech.

But yeah, it is just in the game and that is what TPU tests.

"Cyberpunk 2077 was recently updated to finally receive the long-awaited RT Overdrive patch, which adds long awaited support for path tracing. Along with the RT Overdrive patch, the developers also added official support for Intel's Xe Super Sampling 1.1 (XeSS 1.1), NVIDIA's Deep Learning Anti-Aliasing (DLAA) and updated the implementations of NVIDIA's DLSS Super Resolution and DLSS Frame Generation, bringing them both to the latest version (version 3.1.1), improving quality in the process"

forgotten05

I don't know if i said dlss is modified in this comparison and I'm sure it was clear that I was talking about previous comparisons. Like this: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/hogwarts-legacy-fsr-2-1-vs-xess-vs-dlss-3-comparison/
As you can see, it says in the review dlss is manually updated which normal users don't. Do you understand what I'm talking about now? If fsr also upgradable, it should be done since dlss gets this treatment.

Two things, just to clear confusion...

1) FSR 2.1 is the version of FSR that Cyberpunk 2077 has built in. You cannot update, or mod it, natively to a newer version of FSR 2.x yet. Although, that would be cool if possible.
2) There is a mod to use FSR 2.2 in Cyberpunk 2077 though. It is currently called "DLSS2FSR" by "Potato of Doom". That mod doesn't update the FSR 2.x version though. It translate DLSS 2(or DLSS SR as it is now called) to FSR 2.x. The mod is also no longer recommended for Cyberpunk, because generally speaking... it doesn't look as good at the native 2.1 implementation.

DLSS2FSR is now generally used for other games. It actually looks pretty great for instance in Control when used in combo with the "HDR+Ultrawide+DLSS+RT Patch" by "filoppi" over on the PCGamingWiki.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
Cooling AiO 240mm
Memory 2x 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Radeon RX 6900XT Reference (amd.com)
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeMusic + Gigaworks SB750 7.1 THX
Power Supply XFX 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 10 64bit
The article's text simply doesn't match the picture results? Did the author switch the pictures by accident?

There's a lot more detail on the FSR2 results than there is on the DLSS2 or XeSS ones. Why isn't this being mentioned in the article?

Captura de ecrĂŁ 2023-05-26 115617.png

Captura de ecrĂŁ 2023-05-26 115634.png

Captura de ecrĂŁ 2023-05-26 115705.png

Captura de ecrĂŁ 2023-05-26 115728.png

Also, the author keeps talking about these huge shimmering problems with FSR2... I played the game start to finish using FSR2 and I don't remember seeing anything on the scale that is presented in the videos. Perhaps there's some unusual setting or bug in their drivers.

Evrsr

Yeah, I don't see much issue with FSR as people keep mentioning but XeSS does look more impressive, as it doesn't have the same shimmer issues.

From the video, the shimmer seems to occur when there is a street lamp and a tree behind, with the rest of the tree not shimmering at all. DLSS also shows a little shimmer when the car is moving, specifically on the street lamps.

What I find impressive is that despite some lack of detail on glass windows, the trees are much more detailed in FSR Balanced. vs DLSS Balanced. XeSS even more impressive because of similar performance and seemingly no downsides.

Processor Intel Core i7-975 @ 4.4 GHz
Motherboard ASUS Rampage III GENE
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 3x4 GB GeIL Enhance Plus 1750 MHz CL 9
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon HD 7970 3 GB
Storage Samsung F2 500 GB
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 2243LNX
Case Antec Twelve Hundred V3
Audio Device(s) VIA VT2020
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 1000 W Special OC Edition
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
There's a lot more detail on the FSR2 results than there is on the DLSS2 or XeSS ones. Why isn't this being mentioned in the article?
More detail? That's debatable. More aggressive sharpening? For sure.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
I don't think any amount of DLSS/FSR/XeSS can fix the game. Just going based on the image used to compare, they all look awful, even the native image. Jagged lines everywhere! So maybe the still image used wasn't a good one or that's just how the game always looks, but color me unimpressed.

Perhaps if you're actively playing the game and immersed in the gameplay you might not notice all the jaggies, but watching the video clip of driving didn't really help at all. Maybe it's a me issue? The game has been hyped up and always used for comparisons with RT, DLSS and so on combined with the fact I've never played the game and only have reviews/video clips to base my impressions from and to me the game looks bleh. I'm not understanding what all the hype is, I guess.

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
I find it funny that "muh DLSS is so good" as you hear by nvidiots, but that texture quality is HORRIFIC compared to FSR in 1440/4k. Look at the tree and flat grass LOL.
vaSSeline strikes, again
I find it even funnier when folks trash talk it from the perspective of *checks notes* never actually playing with it enabled to see for themselves. The volunteer marketing department drinks a special flavour of coolaid.

It would be nice for CDPR to update to FSR 2.2, but hey in this case y'all could and pretty much should just use XeSS. Who'd have though Intel would be the hero we wanted in this space, since they're pragmatic enough to not have main character syndrome in the GPU space when lacking the market share, value or feature polish to warrant it.

The article's text simply doesn't match the picture results? Did the author switch the pictures by accident?

I think you are confusing sharpening artifacts for detail. When I look at the badge on the hood of the car the FSR2 text is more sharp, but it also over sharpens around it creating this mass of spots that should not be there.

Sharpening like this is a mixed bag.

1685114774414.png

I think you are confusing sharpening artifacts for detail. When I look at the badge on the hood of the car the FSR2 text is more sharp, but it also over sharpens around it creating this mass of spots that should not be there.

Sharpening like this is a mixed bag.

View attachment 297675

Yup. Although it is worth noting that DLSS is known to be a little blurry and it can/does effect fine texture detail. And FSR 2.x and XeSS also can introduce abit as well. So when your actually using any of these tech's, you generally want just a touch of sharpening to help compensate abit.

Yup. Although it is worth noting that DLSS is known to be a little blurry and it can/does effect fine texture detail. And FSR 2.x and XeSS also can introduce abit as well. So when your actually using any of these tech's, you generally want just a touch of sharpening to help compensate abit.
Yes and luckily we are seeing sharpening sliders in more and more games so you can easily tune it in.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
I find it even funnier when AMDrones trash talk it from the perspective of *checks notes* never actually playing with it enabled to see for themselves. The volunteer marketing department drinks a special flavour of coolaid.

It would be nice for CDPR to update to FSR 2.2, but hey in this case y'all could and pretty much should just use XeSS. Who'd have though Intel would be the hero we wanted in this space, since they're pragmatic enough to not have main character syndrome in the GPU space when lacking the market share, value or feature polish to warrant it.

And how would I play with dlss? I'm not stupid enough to screwed by nvidia. And I wouldn't play with it if the game results in vaseline image.
It works well on certain big titles where nvidia put a lot of money in it to make it look good for reviews. The rest are half assed (maybe an engine or graphics style issue, idk, but it doesn't matter).
So much for all the AI mumbo jumbo.

Yeah, I'm not paying DOUBLE for the same performance card to have dlss. Leather jackets are dumb (now rush in to defend your savior, Chief Executive Milker).