• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dear Intel, If a Glaring Exploit Affects Intel CPUs and Not AMD, It's a Flaw

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
@nem..
So, AMD is only affected by Spectre1 and even that ONLY under Linux. Windows is not even affected.
Any info if AMD's software fix for Spectre1 also degrades performance in any significant way?

I'd be highly distrustful of that chart.

Of course, I've been wrong before today, but that chart doesn't make much sense at all to me.

The good news? Chart or no chart, specter in general does not appear to have a performance impact because it can't really be fixed. It also makes 0 difference outside of datacenters (minus maybe maybe maybe another avenue for malware if you are careless). So yeah.

Time to go RyZen 2 my man, or Threadripper 2. Your choice, 5820K may need to rest. :D

That may in fact happen. It may not affect me as insignificant consumer, but since I'm security conscious, it's very likely that I will change platform. Considering how widespread Intel CPU's are (huge market share) and how security flaw can't even be fixed, it's very high probability that someone will try to exploit this on a huge scale which would affect even home users. And I'm not gonna take chances...

@R-T-B
Well, I know from AV side that a lot of tools and protection features use virtualization for malware analysis or protection itself. If malware in such environment can still access the rest, that's a huge issue. Of course, I'm not gonna rush selling my system straight away, but I'll keep an eye on the situation. I never made big of a deal of Intel flaws that were fixable with firmware or OS microcode. But this one is a big one. And the fact that Intel was trying to cover it up, sell stocks in the meanwhile and god knows what else you kinda lose trust in such company. I know money is money and every company goes into damage control, but still...

Last edited:
That may in fact happen. It may not affect me as insignificant consumer, but since I'm security conscious, it's very likely that I will change platform. Considering how widespread Intel CPU's are (huge market share) and how security flaw can't even be fixed, it's very high probability that someone will try to exploit this on a huge scale which would affect even home users. And I'm not gonna take chances...

@R-T-B
Well, I know from AV side that a lot of tools and protection features use virtualization for malware analysis or protection itself. If malware in such environment can still access the rest, that's a huge issue. Of course, I'm not gonna rush selling my system straight away, but I'll keep an eye on the situation. I never made big of a deal of Intel flaws that were fixable with firmware or OS microcode. But this one is a big one. And the fact that Intel was trying to cover it up, sell stocks in the meanwhile and god knows what else you kinda lose trust in such company. I know money is money and every company goes into damage control, but still...
Tbh that isn't just Intel, I remember Union carbide fleeing India after the Bhopal Gas leak & then paying next to nothing as compensation. I know it's unwise to compare tragedies but BP paid what 20+ billion dollars for an oil spill, these guys paid less than a tenth for 1000x loss of lives! Corporations just don't care for you, that's why I take don't offense when they get penalized, not often enough though.

As for the bug itself, it was revealed ~3 quarters back so yes everyone has a right to blame Intel.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
The point is that AMD processors are apparently not vulnerable to Meltdown and the performance hitting PITA patch is for Meltdown not Spectre, so the conspiracy theory is still there; Why the initial PITA patch flags all X86 machines instead of intel only?
This is simply security best practises. In case of any doubt, mitigation will be applied.
Details for this crap became public 2 days ago. While researchers and patch authors definitely knew, not everyone in the decisions chain did.

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
This security bug proves that AMD processors are incompatible with Intel processors, as many Intel fans where saying for years. :laugh:

System Name Marmo / Kanon
Processor Intel Core i7 9700K / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi / X570S Aorus Pro AX
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S x 2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2666-C16 / 32GB 3200-C16
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX3070 Ti / Asus TUF RX 6800XT OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, 860 EVO 1TB / Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 970 EVO+ 1TB
Display(s) Dell AW2521HFA / U2715H
Case Fractal Design Focus G / Pop Air RGB
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Creative SB ZxR
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus GX 650W / PX 750W
Mouse Logitech MX310 / G1
Keyboard Logitech G413 / G513
Software Win 11 Ent
Some ARM processors are also vulnerable to Meltdown
Source:https://developer.arm.com/support/security-update

Looks like most high performance ARM Cortex CPUs are affected too. Maybe I should stick to a low/mid tier phone with the A53 cores. Phones nowadays store so many sensitive information that a breach would be very costly. It is also much more difficult to prevent malware/malicious links on smartphones because of all those links shared by friends/families through many different social chat apps.

As for my next desktop/home server build, I'll be going for Ryzen 2 for sure. Even though it is very unlikely this bug would cause any real damage to a PC locally assuming the user has some basic computer knowledges and is vigilant, with the kind of attitude Intel has expressed towards the issue why should I keep supporting their products? I was a long time AMD user from the original K7 up until Phenom II. I only switched over to the dark side (Lynnfield i7) because of the huge disappointment of bulldozer. Now it's time to switch back.

Last edited:
Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Two different flaws, Meltdown and Spectre.
https://spectreattack.com/

Interesting that some ARM variants seem to be vulnerable to Meltdown as admitted by ARM themselves. Researchers did leave ARM and AMD vulnerability a bit of an open question in the paper.
Spectre seems to be the more critical one though as mitigation is much more complex.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Lol, another article and subsequent thread with the same links that were dropped yesterday. What a cluster...

Is this an editorial???

System Name Rainbow Puke Machine :D
Processor Intel Core i5-11400 (MCE enabled, PL removed)
Motherboard ASUS STRIX B560-G GAMING WIFI mATX
Cooling Corsair H60i RGB PRO XT AIO + HD120 RGB (x3) + SP120 RGB PRO (x3) + Commander PRO
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 2 x 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 C16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2060 Twin Fan 6GB GDDR6 (Stock)
Storage Corsair MP600 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe Gen4 x4 SSD
Display(s) LG 29WK600-W Ultrawide 1080p IPS Monitor (primary display)
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow (White) w/Lighting Node CORE + Lighting Node PRO RGB LED Strips (x4).
Audio Device(s) ASUS ROG Supreme FX S1220A w/ Savitech SV3H712 AMP + Sonic Studio 3 suite
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB FPS Gaming (White)
Keyboard Corsair K60 PRO RGB Mechanical w/ Cherry VIOLA Switches
VR HMD Pico 4 128GB AIO VR Headset* (* = in consideration of getting one)
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 (Update 22H2)
one word: damn....

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Intel CEO knew about this when he sold his stock. Intel is about to get a huge fine, also should be a good time to buy Intel stock after the bloodbath.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Is this an editorial???

It should be marked as one given it's writing style, but it isn't.

PS: Btarunr, you know I love you and the whole TPU group like family, so remember this is constructive criticism when I say:

Mark yo' shit.

These bugs raise all kinds of concerns at the datacenter level, but from a user standpoint my main worry would be any cloud stored backups/data that could be at risk. Those are on cloud VM's on the backend one way or another and mostly through AWS or Azure even if it's through a third-party service that uses them. Another good reason if you are using desktop backup services like Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. to encrypt it before sending. There are plenty of free and paid apps out there that will take care of that like Boxcryptor.

The nature of the attack (meltdown) makes it nearly impossible to trace it back to a source!
I really wonder now if this wasn't used by any number of nefarious elements, NSA or criminals, in the past?

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
The nature of the attack (meltdown) makes it nearly impossible to trace it back to a source!
I really wonder now if this wasn't used by any number of nefarious elements, NSA or criminals, in the past?

Perhaps it was and has been a design "feature" and was just exposed by people.

Perhaps it was and has been a design "feature" and was just exposed by people.
It's possible & we won't ever know for certain, kinda like the Kennedy assassination or is that too much tinfoil?

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
There's a big drop in AC, though not sure why some games were tested at 1080p & others at 720p? A lot of storage reviews will also need to be updated afterwards, would be interesting if NVMe drives take a major hit looking at those initial phoronix benchmarks.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
There's a big drop in AC, though not sure why some games were tested at 1080p & others at 720p? A lot of storage reviews will also need to be updated afterwards, would be interesting if NVMe drives take a major hit looking at those initial phoronix benchmarks.

I don't know why the different resolutions but usually this guy when testing the CPU benches at 720p with his 980 Ti to try to eliminate the GPU as much of a factor.

Not sure why there's a huge space after my post either. That wasn't there when I was posting and I can't delete it. :confused:

System Name potato
Processor Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Custom WC Loop
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Storage SSD: Team 512GB NVMe + Team 2TB SATA || HDD: 2x WD VRaptor 500GB & 2x WD Blue 4TB
Display(s) XIAOMI Curved 34" 144Hz UWQHD
Case be quiet dark base pro 900
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1800T, Logitech G733
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Corsair K65
Software win 10 amd64
Uh, Spectre is the one without the fix, and it too affects all OSes (and linux, under default kernel settings)... It's by nature a hardware issue.

Who the heck made that chart? He doesn't know anything. I think both spectre 1 and 2 affect pretty much all known speculative execution processors atm. Maybe I'm mistaken here, but this article I read from a decently respectable publication suggests otherwise:

Read:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...odern-processor-has-unfixable-security-flaws/

In the meantime, let me help you fanboy:

Intel has spectre too!!!1!! AMD does NOT have MELTDOWN!

according to THIS: spectre (variant 1) can be done on AMD with eBPF JIT on (non-default state), it can't be done with eBPF JIT off (the default state), on the other hand, on intel CPU, variant 1 can be done on the PoC regardless the state of eBPF JIT, hence on AMD it is software fixable by simply forcing the eBPF JIT off.

according to THIS: spectre (variant 1) can be done on AMD with eBPF JIT on (non-default state), it can't be done with eBPF JIT off (the default state), on the other hand, on intel CPU, variant 1 can be done on the PoC regardless the state of eBPF JIT, hence on AMD it is software fixable by simply forcing the eBPF JIT off.
Compared to meltdown, spectre is relatively harmless but there are 4 exploits demonstrated for these 2 flaws. There is a non zero possibility that there may be more variations of such attacks. There's a lot of man hours needed to get to the bottom of it, interestingly Google Zero could still be working on them.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X

Yeah, I backed off that comment a bit later in another thread (we have way too many).

I was confused because there is more than one spectre type.

Processor i7 4930k
Motherboard Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho
Memory 4 X 4096 MB G.Skill DDR3 1866 9-10-9-26
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GV-N780OC-3GD
Storage Crucial M4 128GB, M500 240GB, Samsung HD103SJ 1TB
Display(s) Planar PX2710MW 27" 1920x1080
Case Corsair 500R
Power Supply RAIDMAX RX-1200AE
Software Windows 10 64-bit
This is simply security best practises. In case of any doubt, mitigation will be applied.
Details for this crap became public 2 days ago. While researchers and patch authors definitely knew, not everyone in the decisions chain did.
I'm not familiar with industry but in my opinion fixing such a critical vulnerability all people in decision chain should have good understanding of how it works. And in fact Linus as head developer isn't happy with that patch either.
.. and that really means that all these mitigation patches should be written with "not all CPU's are crap" in mind.