• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Definitive guide to configuring the Ryzen 3900X/3950X and all other 3000 Series CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
It is where I would beg to differ, because as I said in a earlier post AMD has a track record of pushing their processors well past their optimal efficiency, one glaring example would be GCN, or another would be Vega, or the FX series of CPUs.

I get that you don't like it but show me the data of all the premature failures. Until you have data that shows all of these examples of premature failure due to over voltage then this still remains an 'I don't like it.' type of thing.

I am not disagreeing with you that these chips can run on less voltage. I am only disagreeing about the longevity problems.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
It is where I would beg to differ, because as I said in an earlier post AMD has a track record of pushing their processors well past their optimal efficiency, one glaring example would be GCN, or another would be Vega, or the FX series of CPUs.

If the Marketdroids demand that points be put on the scoresheet with regard to bragging rights of "Boost Speed", which is a stupid concept with regard to 3rd Gen Ryzen, then I don't trust AMD to have my best interests at heart over the demands of said SalesCritters/Marketdroids.

The other thing to consider is that with 1st Gen and 2nd Gen Ryzen consumers were getting prime silicon because AMD had to do this to be competitive with Intel. They also couldn't really compete with Intel in either the Server or the HEDT segment in those generations (seems like a lifetime ago, but it was less than one year).

You will notice that in the 1st and 2nd Gen Ryzen CPUs performance could be achieved at far lower voltage. Just three days ago I was configuring someone's 1600 (AF version) and could comfortably hit 3.85 GHz at 1.137 Volts and under load it was running at 1 Volt because of the Vdroop.

With 3rd Gen Ryzen we, as consumers, are getting the shit that is not good enough to be put into the Server grade CPUs and AMD has racked up impressive sales in the Server market.

So we are getting shitty silicon, and the only way to get that silicon to perform the way the SalesCritters/Marketdroids (or as I called them at my company, "Computer User, Non-Technical" - I'm sure there is an acronym in there somewhere) is to punt in a lot more voltage.

What does AMD care if the CPUs degrade? They are only on the hook if the performance of a CPU falls below the minimum clockspeed, because the "Boost" is of course wrapped in the weasel words "Up to ...", or if the CPU actually fries.

So as opposed to first and second Gen Ryzen where the incentives for AMD were stacked in favour of the consumer, they are now, with the third Gen stacked against those interests.
The 1600Af are actually Gen 2 silicon not Gen 1.

The term boost is used in similar terms by Intel, and Nvidia.

Your disdain for AMD's technical abilities is clear but it's worth mentioning to you, they do indeed tend to set voltages a bit high , in most cases for stability, dropping Volt's on any AMD chip in the last 7 year's does tend to allow higher clocks in a lot of cases.
In the odd case however lower voltage decreased stability in Some applications, especially over time, but we can't know all the decisions that were made.
To assume we know it all is misleading though, how can we.

The 1600Af are actually Gen 2 silicon not Gen 1.

The term boost is used in similar terms by Intel, and Nvidia.

Your disdain for AMD's technical abilities is clear but it's worth mentioning to you, they do indeed tend to set voltages a bit high , in most cases for stability, dropping Volt's on any AMD chip in the last 7 year's does tend to allow higher clocks in a lot of cases.
In the odd case however lower voltage decreased stability in Some applications, especially over time, but we can't know all the decisions that were made.
To assume we know it all is misleading though, how can we.
As you may have noticed, I did lump together Gen 1 and Gen 2 Ryzen to juxtapose them with regard to Gen 3 Ryzen because the differences between the first two generations are marginal.

I thought it was pretty obvious when I referred to the R5 1600 CPU EXPRESSLY as "(AF Version)" - but not obvious enough as it turns out - that I was referring to the the CPU which is being created using the GlobalFoundries 12 nm process.

If I had disdain for AMD's technical abilities I would hardly have an R9 3950X rig now would I?

Through decades of experience however I have nothing but disdain and contempt for SalesCritters and Marketdroids.

If I noticed applications becoming unstable over time then I would check the temp of the CPU under load because a CPU which has been working perfectly stably within one temperature range can quite easily become unstable when it crosses the threshold to a higher temperature range.

Candidates for the cause would be:

A) The TIM (Thermal Interface Material) has degraded over time.
B) Radiator of a water cooling solution or the fins of an air cooler have become clogged
C) Dye or mould has clogged up the cooling fins in a custom loop water block.
D) If it is an AIO that has been in heavy use for a number of years then enough liquid could have permeated through the tubing and evaporated to cause it to lose efficiency and reach homeostasis at a higher temperature.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
As you may have noticed, I did lump together Gen 1 and Gen 2 Ryzen to juxtapose them with regard to Gen 3 Ryzen because the differences between the first two generations are marginal.

I thought it was pretty obvious when I referred to the R5 1600 CPU EXPRESSLY as "(AF Version)" - but not obvious enough as it turns out - that I was referring to the the CPU which is being created using the GlobalFoundries 12 nm process.

If I had disdain for AMD's technical abilities I would hardly have an R9 3950X rig now would I?

Through decades of experience however I have nothing but disdain and contempt for SalesCritters and Marketdroids.

If I noticed applications becoming unstable over time then I would check the temp of the CPU under load because a CPU which has been working perfectly stably within one temperature range can quite easily become unstable when it crosses the threshold to a higher temperature range.

Candidates for the cause would be:

A) The TIM (Thermal Interface Material) has degraded over time.
B) Radiator of a water cooling solution or the fins of an air cooler have become clogged
C) Dye or mould has clogged up the cooling fins in a custom loop water block.
D) If it is an AIO that has been in heavy use for a number of years then enough liquid could have permeated through the tubing and evaporated to cause it to lose efficiency and reach homeostasis at a higher temperature.
Or a cause could be the pc has not seen that particular combination of load and execution before such that temperature is not an issue but the nature of the task and it's execution is.

I assume from your reply you haven't seen this so it can't be a thing already so if that's your reply or you wish to teach a duck to suck eggs further, please refrain.

Example some work unit's in Wcg and folding at home have at time's caused this for Many people running efficient tunes, same went while mining some ecoins.

As for lumping Ryzen 1+2 and then stating they all were capable of 3.85 @1.1# Volt's , that's misleading and wrong Ryzen 1 did that with higher voltage if at All, literally because not many could be cooled adequately.
Ryzen 2 was much much better, 3 a step ahead again.
And it is AMDS technical staff you have most berated on their choices, regardless what department your thinking.

Last edited:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
I see my warning was not heeded... thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.