• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

John Stewart

Many tks to all. Let me get you some more info so you're not sitting there guessing. First is the system info of the bridge machine. This is my wifes PC and bought around the same time so close, but a little under what I was using.
Screenshot (6).png

Here's from the load of a larger project.
Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

It loads kinda slow but not to bad, not the real problem. I will work on it for a half hour or so and then take the same snapshots as it starts really stressing the system and post them.

One thing I will say is in my opinion the software is crap. Most of this is from guess work but the feeling I get is they started out with a basic video editing software and then added features onto the same old framework, kinda like building a one story house and kept adding floors without rebuilding the foundation.

I also get the feeling there is little incentive to rework it as they have a niche in the market with little competition. Lots of basic editing software for the dinkers out there and a number of really good high end programs better suited for the wild and wicket stuff but not much in the middle for guys like me doing mid range production stuff. But this is gut feeling on my part.

Many tks to all. Let me get you some more info so you're not sitting there guessing. First is the system info of the bridge machine. This is my wifes PC and bought around the same time so close, but a little under what I was using.
Screenshot (6).png

Here's from the load of a larger project.
Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

It loads kinda slow but not to bad, not the real problem. I will work on it for a half hour or so and then take the same snapshots as it starts really stressing the system and post them.

One thing I will say is in my opinion the software is crap. Most of this is from guess work but the feeling I get is they started out with a basic video editing software and then added features onto the same old framework, kinda like building a one story house and kept adding floors without rebuilding the foundation.

I also get the feeling there is little incentive to rework it as they have a niche in the market with little competition. Lots of basic editing software for the dinkers out there and a number of really good high end programs better suited for the wild and wicket stuff but not much in the middle for guys like me doing mid range production stuff. But this is gut feeling on my part.
Oooo and notice how much Opera eats up? Another crap software in my opinion but they have a very good spam blocker which is why I use it. I might want to consider shutting it down when I edit.

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
One thing I will say is in my opinion the software is crap.
Have you tried DaVinci Resolve? Completely free and very powerful, and you can pay a one-time payment of $300 if you need more features. Many movie studios use it if that tells you anything.

You can also use Puget Systems' guide for the hardware, it covers it fairly well.

No sir but I will certainly try it out to see. Would be a fair amount of work to convert but not insurmountable.

Still tying to stress it more, I get getting diverted by small fires in need of putting out lol. Post screens as soon as I get them.
And if you wouldn't mind right click of the graph for the CPU and select show logical processors. That will show if it's using more than 1 core. By the usage I doubt it.

John Stewart

And if you wouldn't mind right click of the graph for the CPU and select show logical processors. That will show if it's using more than 1 core.
The very reason I posted the last screens ahead of these. I just knew there would be something missing :)

Ok, I managed to stress it pretty good, It's starting to hang big time. Have pushed it a lot harder but subject to crashing at any time when it get's this revved up. Cooling fan is humming along lol.

Screenshot (16).png

Screenshot (13).png

Screenshot (14).png

Screenshot (15).png

Screenshot (17).png

The second cpu is from after the stressing had gone on a little.

Ok so you can get all those cores going. Memory usage is down. GPU not really being used for any of your screenshots. I'm guessing the hanging your getting is something to do with heat because it should still have enough resources to navigate. I'm leaning on that AMD build. 2 things, your program says 32 bit. What version number is that? Notes for version 9 state they went to a 64 bit build. Also see if there are any settings to push a little more at the GPU. In the software I've used there is something for GPU hardware acceleration for encoding. I don't know what GPU you have but it's 2gb so I know it's not any powerhouse. Still might be worth seeing if you can put more use to it. Just have a gtx 1650 super in our plex server and it transcodes 7x what our CPU can.

John Stewart

What version number is that? Notes for version 9 state they went to a 64 bit build. Also see if there are any settings to push a little more at the GPU.
11.08 is the current version. Try not to update, every time I do it gets more and more user unfriendly.

Sorry, no. I got in there and it's pretty minimal.

I'm leaning on that AMD build.
I don't see any AMDs available on Dell. This is my latest build. Probably going to put it Monday to make sure I get the Black Friday pricing, otherwise it's gets out of my range.

John Stewart

Sorry, forgot everyone can't see the price.

Estimated Value $8,389.00
Dell Price $5,194.96

It uses a 12-core with a much superior architecture and higher clocks, and costs less.
Awesome, have to help the wife for a bit but will dig into it this evening, many, many thanks Count

John Stewart

You may have missed this;
No I was just resisting looking at it last night as it's our fun night. Afraid I'd get to enthusiastic lolol. Looking it over I like it. Took out the 3rd HD which I may never need (These vids average 5megs a pop finished) so I could extend the warranty and add McAfee. Speaking of which anyone have any experience with it? Always used Norton but since Life Lock bought them they've turned into a spam engine.

John Stewart

Took out the McAfee and added a 4tb HD back in, I'm sure I won't regret it lol.

Finalizing this up if anyone else has any advice.

The board doesn't have on board wifi? I wouldn't let that sway a decision. There are multiple ways you can get wifi into that.
Neither would I.
Aaaaaa suger, no wireless available with the AMD setup. Might have to go back to the Intel one.
John, go to Staples or BestBuy and get a $30 USB WIFI adapter or PCIe card. Don't pass up the better system just because Dell doesn't have WIFI built on the board. That would be silly.

System Name HP ProLiant DL360P G8
Processor 2x Xeon e2690
Motherboard HP
Cooling 6 Delta fans
Memory 192gb ECC ddr3 @1333
Video Card(s) Quadro k4200
Storage 4x 1.2TB Dell SAS raid 0
Display(s) iDrac over IP
Case HP 1U
Power Supply 2x 1100w Platinum PSUs
Mouse iDrac
Keyboard iDrac
Software Windows Server 2019
ok, I was told they were best built in to the motherboard, jus thinking about it that's silly
Is better when they're not built into the board because when the time comes to upgrade, is an actual pain to find a compatible module because some OEMs like to use CNVi

Like for example upgrading from an intel ax200 to a 201, a 210 or even a 1650, no to even mention "vPro"

John Stewart

Ok, I guess this what I'm going to go with, I'll order it in the morning, after me wife settles down, she saw the price and gulped lol

Now what can I to for you guys? I don't like being a mooch. I have 3 large Twitter accts doing 300, 210 and 130k respectively. Now before you get excited they are video accts. It's very hard to get them to focus on anything other than a funny/wild vid lol. But still, If you have Twitter accts a rt can diffidently help, others, like web sites less so but wth, it's free Would hesitate to put up the link to the forum, you might get flooded with guys dumber than I and a whole lot less appreciative lol. I'm telling ya, lots of younger people with kid like outlooks, namely you're their mother lol.

Now what can I to for you guys? I don't like being a mooch.
I'm good. There are several reasons I come to TPU. One of them is to help people fix up their systems, perform upgrades that will help them get the most from what they have, or in your case, help make a purchase that will help them do what they need in the best and most cost effective way possible.

Can't speak for @Count von Schwalbe, but I enjoy what I do here and do so freely. I'm sure he feels similarly. Have been very fortunate in life and much has been given to me. Even if that were not the case, I would still be doing this, have always felt that being helpful to folks is right. So I say enjoy! In future when an opportunity to help someone presents itself(and it will), do so. Don't hesitate and be confident that whatever you do will have a positive effect.

Carry on good sir and feel welcome to show us photo's and screen shots of your new hotness when it arrives!

There is a thread where people show off their latest tech acquisitions. Feel free to jump in there too! What you are buying is truly impressive, worthy of a moments consideration and admiration.

Last edited:
Absolutely. I like tech for its own sake, so the more people I can help along the way, the better.

System Name Alienware PC
Processor Intel 4790K
Motherboard ASROCK Z97 EXTREME4
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 32GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 7770 2GB GDDR5
Storage SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2
Display(s) SAMSUNG UE57 Series 28-Inch 4K UHD
Case Alienware Area 51 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Realtek On Board
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt
Mouse Microsoft Wireless
Keyboard HyperX - Alloy Elite 2 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard.
Software Windows 10 Pro & LTSB & LTSC Windows 11 Pro
ok, I was told they were best built in to the motherboard, jus thinking about it that's silly
Not with my Dell Dell Inspiron P75F 15" Touchscreen AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 2GHz 8GB RAM. My Ethernet download speed around 100 Mbps, my WiFi downloads are over 400 Mbps. Go figure!

John Stewart

Not with my Dell Dell Inspiron P75F 15" Touchscreen AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 2GHz 8GB RAM. My Ethernet download speed around 100 Mbps, my WiFi downloads are over 400 Mbps. Go figure!
I know but they have a valid point for a workstation, easier to switch out when wifi updates.

BTW they say not until Dec 27th but I guess they have build it lol