• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

Junglist

Hi, I need some help.

I would like to fit a USB 3.0 or 3.1 PCIe card to get faster write times than my current eSATA external HDD set up. I also want to get one that is appropriate for the speeds my motherboard will allow. However, I don’t understand the PCIe specs.

The board itself is a 0XPDFK and has two x8 slots that I understand are wired as x4, one of which I think will be suitable for the card. Next to one of these slots “SLOT1 PCIe2 x4” is printed onto the motherboard. On the other “SLOT1 PCIe x4” is printed. However, in the service manual it says the following:

Bus type

PCI 2.3
PCI Express 2.0 (PCIe-x16)
PCI Express 1.1 (PCIe-x1)
SATA 1.0 and 2.0
USB 2.0
eSATA

Bus speed

133 MB/s (PCI)
x1-slot bidirectional speed - 500 MB/s (PCI Express)
x16-slot bidirectional speed - 8 GB/s (PCI Express)
1.5 Gbps and 3.0 Gbps (SATA)
480-Mbps high speed, 12-Mbps full speed, 1.2-Mbps
Low speed (USB)

Does this mean the x8(x4) slots are PCIe 1.1 at x1 (one lane?) Doesn’t this contradict “PCIe2 x4” that is printed on the board? :confused:

Does this mean the x8(x4) slots are PCIe 1.1 at x1 (one lane?) Doesn’t this contradict “PCIe2 x4” that is printed on the board? :confused:
Both of the PCIe4x slots are what they claim to be. They are physically 8x slots, but electrically 4x.

I currently have a USB3 card in the one below the GFX card slot and it works perfectly. It's not bootable, just a heads up there.

And welcome to the forums!

System Name myPC
Processor i5-11600k @ stock
Motherboard Asus TUF Z590 Gaming Plus
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 3060 ti
Storage Boot: WD Black SN770 1TB - Game Storage: WD Black SN770 2TB - Other Storage: 4TB
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 curved 27" 1440p 144hz
Case Thermaltake v100 perforated
Audio Device(s) Some headphones and some speakers
Power Supply Gigabyte UD750GM
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Redragon K509
Software W11 Pro
Thought this would be a good place to put my writeup instead of creating a new thread for it. Just a bunch of things people should know about that plan to upgrade the GPU in their Optiplex 9020 mt.

This is just some information for people thinking about upgrading their Optiplex 9020 mt, or who are thinking about buying one for a budget gaming PC, and are looking for information on what will fit. Before I started, I swear I read every forum post on the internet and every Optiplex upgrade video at least twice, so I thought I knew what I was working with. Well, I ran into a couple of problems anyone looking at these should be aware of, that didn't get much or any mention. First, the well known limitations:

1) 8 pin motherboard power plug. You have to buy an adapter to use any PSU other than the stock 290W. Regular ATX PSU drops in though.

2) No GPU longer than 10" (250mm) without removing the hdd cage.
(not exactly true, see item 1 below)

3) Not much you can do about cable management, especially with a non-modular PSU.

4) Proprietary front panel connections (isn't worth the headache of trying to put into a new case.)

5) Proprietary fan headers on motherboard. Adapter needed to use any fans besides the stock CPU and system fan.

I was prepared for these things. I wasn't prepared for everything else :

1) The front panel wires are very short and take an almost direct route to their plug, which is on the other side of the GPU. If you leave the hdd cage, the GPU needs to be around 9" (228mm) to allow room for these cables behind it. They aren't long enough to go around through the cage, or over it, and the plug is too close to the GPU to go under it.

2) Double wide cards may or may not fit. Mine is 43mm wide (2.2 width slot), and it wouldn't fit between the RAM and the front panel plug. I had to shave the excess plastic off the plug to get them both to fit at the same time. I would say no cards wider than 36mm, if you're not comfortable shaving plastic off the front panel plug. It is also very close to the primary SATA ports, but didn't have to be modified in my case.

3) If you're using a double wide GPU with a backplate, or any 2.2+ card, you can't remove the RAM without first removing the GPU.

4) If you want to keep the HDD cage and get a new PSU, it either has to have enough 90 degree SATA plugs for what you have in there, or you have to keep using the 6pin power cable from the motherboard that has them, as the side panel will not go on with a standard SATA plugged into a HDD in the cage.

5) If you remove the HDD cage, you can't secure a 3.5" HDD in the hanging bay, as the wires from the front panel prevent it being fully inserted so the screw holes line up. Mine is just resting there, and the SSD is just hanging out until I figure out my final mounting solution for them.

6) If your GPU has a shroud rising above the backplate, you won't be able to use the standard Dell expansion card holder clip thing, you'll have to switch to screws.

I think that's it. I'll post more if I remember more, or if anybody has questions. I would not recommend this route for a "budget" gaming rig, as I ended up spending as much as I would have buying new components with similar (and better) specs, and am now pretty much fully upgraded, it isn't worth the time or trouble going any further.

Specs before:
Optiplex 9020 mini tower
i7-4770 4c8t 3.4 Ghz
14GB DDR3 1600
R7 260x (ran with SATA adapter from original PSU)
500GB 7200rpm HDD
Dell 290W PSU

What I added:
Kingston A400 240GB SATA SSD
EVGA 500W 80+ PSU
Saphhire Nitro+ RX 570 8GB

Here are some pictures:

Clearance between Ram and backplate:

The front panel plug is the one behind the blue SATA. It had to be shaved at the top or it won't fit at the same time as the graphics card. It also has to be plugged in first.

The entire rats nest.

I hope this helps people understand all the problems and limitations they can run into trying to upgrade even the tower version of one of these prebuilt enterprise machines.

Took these after I "cable managed."

I remounted the SSD and HDD, moved the optical to the top and put them under it. Did my best to cable manage, it isn't great, but I think the airflow is about 90% better. It would have been a lot easier without the 8 pin adapter.

This mess was half crammed up above the optical drive:

Mounted drives:

The final result:

Hi, I need some help.

I would like to fit a USB 3.0 or 3.1 PCIe card to get faster write times than my current eSATA external HDD set up. I also want to get one that is appropriate for the speeds my motherboard will allow. However, I don’t understand the PCIe specs.

The board itself is a 0XPDFK and has two x8 slots that I understand are wired as x4, one of which I think will be suitable for the card. Next to one of these slots “SLOT1 PCIe2 x4” is printed onto the motherboard. On the other “SLOT1 PCIe x4” is printed. However, in the service manual it says the following:

Bus type

PCI 2.3
PCI Express 2.0 (PCIe-x16)
PCI Express 1.1 (PCIe-x1)
SATA 1.0 and 2.0
USB 2.0
eSATA

Bus speed

133 MB/s (PCI)
x1-slot bidirectional speed - 500 MB/s (PCI Express)
x16-slot bidirectional speed - 8 GB/s (PCI Express)
1.5 Gbps and 3.0 Gbps (SATA)
480-Mbps high speed, 12-Mbps full speed, 1.2-Mbps
Low speed (USB)

What speed are you getting with eSATA ?

Thought this would be a good place to put my writeup instead of creating a new thread for it. Just a bunch of things people should know about that plan to upgrade the GPU in their Optiplex 9020 mt.

This is just some information for people thinking about upgrading their Optiplex 9020 mt, or who are thinking about buying one for a budget gaming PC, and are looking for information on what will fit. Before I started, I swear I read every forum post on the internet and every Optiplex upgrade video at least twice, so I thought I knew what I was working with. Well, I ran into a couple of problems anyone looking at these should be aware of, that didn't get much or any mention. First, the well known limitations:

1) 8 pin motherboard power plug. You have to buy an adapter to use any PSU other than the stock 290W. Regular ATX PSU drops in though.

2) No GPU longer than 10" (250mm) without removing the hdd cage.
(not exactly true, see item 1 below)

3) Not much you can do about cable management, especially with a non-modular PSU.

4) Proprietary front panel connections (isn't worth the headache of trying to put into a new case.)

5) Proprietary fan headers on motherboard. Adapter needed to use any fans besides the stock CPU and system fan.

I was prepared for these things. I wasn't prepared for everything else :

1) The front panel wires are very short and take an almost direct route to their plug, which is on the other side of the GPU. If you leave the hdd cage, the GPU needs to be around 9" (228mm) to allow room for these cables behind it. They aren't long enough to go around through the cage, or over it, and the plug is too close to the GPU to go under it.

2) Double wide cards may or may not fit. Mine is 43mm wide (2.2 width slot), and it wouldn't fit between the RAM and the front panel plug. I had to shave the excess plastic off the plug to get them both to fit at the same time. I would say no cards wider than 36mm, if you're not comfortable shaving plastic off the front panel plug. It is also very close to the primary SATA ports, but didn't have to be modified in my case.

3) If you're using a double wide GPU with a backplate, or any 2.2+ card, you can't remove the RAM without first removing the GPU.

4) If you want to keep the HDD cage and get a new PSU, it either has to have enough 90 degree SATA plugs for what you have in there, or you have to keep using the 6pin power cable from the motherboard that has them, as the side panel will not go on with a standard SATA plugged into a HDD in the cage.

5) If you remove the HDD cage, you can't secure a 3.5" HDD in the hanging bay, as the wires from the front panel prevent it being fully inserted so the screw holes line up. Mine is just resting there, and the SSD is just hanging out until I figure out my final mounting solution for them.

6) If your GPU has a shroud rising above the backplate, you won't be able to use the standard Dell expansion card holder clip thing, you'll have to switch to screws.

I think that's it. I'll post more if I remember more, or if anybody has questions. I would not recommend this route for a "budget" gaming rig, as I ended up spending as much as I would have buying new components with similar (and better) specs, and am now pretty much fully upgraded, it isn't worth the time or trouble going any further.

Specs before:
Optiplex 9020 mini tower
i7-4770 4c8t 3.4 Ghz
14GB DDR3 1600
R7 260x (ran with SATA adapter from original PSU)
500GB 7200rpm HDD
Dell 290W PSU

What I added:
EVGA 500W 80+ PSU
Saphhire Nitro+ RX 570 8GB

Here are some pictures:

Clearance between Ram and backplate:

The front panel plug is the one behind the blue SATA. It had to be shaved at the top or it won't fit at the same time as the graphics card. It also has to be plugged in first.

The entire rats nest.

I hope this helps people understand all the problems and limitations they can run into trying to upgrade even the tower version of one of these prebuilt enterprise machines.

Took these after I "cable managed."

I remounted the SSD and HDD, moved the optical to the top and put them under it. Did my best to cable manage, it isn't great, but I think the airflow is about 90% better. It would have been a lot easier without the 8 pin adapter.

This mess was half crammed up above the optical drive:

Mounted drives:

The final result:

Regarding adjusting HDD + SSD in the Optical drive bay, I use one slot of 5.25 inch Optical Drive Bay to adjust one 3.5 inch HDD + one 2.5 inch SSD+ 2 ports USB3 Front Out.

I got this from aliexpress-
fd30294f-420a-4dff-b39e-49e3ca1c599a.jpg
f3371461-ec07-4bc6-b646-d4a9f6cbf5e1.jpg
c713e30e-7af9-4c5d-9359-f56be98fb2d7.jpg
c5f023f4-fb2c-4840-b456-62996ab24690.jpg

System Name myPC
Storage Boot: WD Black SN770 1TB - Game Storage: WD Black SN770 2TB - Other Storage: 4TB
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Redragon K509
Software W11 Pro
That's a handy drive bay thing, especially if you don't have usb 3 in the front. Luckily I have 4 usb in the front, 2 of them 3.0. I'm not going to run out and buy one, but if I see something like that browsing local ads I'd definitely pick it up. Much neater solution than double sided taping the hdd to the bottom of the dvdrw drive like I did.

System Name myPC
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Redragon K509
Software W11 Pro
Here's my entire Dell desktop stable:

Dell Dimension 5150
Pentium D 945 3.2Ghz
4GB DDR2
ATI Radeon x600
Windows XP

Use this one for old games, and my daughter draws on it with a fisher price digital arts and crafts studio accessory.

Dell Inspiron 530s
Core 2 Duo E6600 3.06Ghz
4GB DDR2
AMD r7 260x
Windows 7
This one plays Xbox 360/PS3 era PC games great, and my son also uses it for Roblox.

Optiplex 9020mt
i7-4770
14GB DDR3 @ 1600
500GB 7200 HDD
RX 570 8GB
Windows 10

My main gaming and working PC. I like the handy air vent down by the GPU, it lets me admire the bling, and brings in cold air right where the GPU needs it.

System Name myPC
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Redragon K509
Software W11 Pro
Quads are very cheap, it'd be worth the upgrade..
Yeah, that's on my list, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I've almost pulled the trigger a couple of times, found a Q6600 locally for $10. Didn't get it though, because I thought I'd need to upgrade the cooler too and decided to buy the i7 based system instead.

Junglist

Both of the PCIe4x slots are what they claim to be. They are physically 8x slots, but electrically 4x.

I currently have a USB3 card in the one below the GFX card slot and it works perfectly. It's not bootable, just a heads up there.

And welcome to the forums!
Thanks

What speed are you getting with eSATA ?

My current external drive is SATA II HDD. I plan buying a 3.5" SATA III HDD and a suitable enclosure to replace it.
See below for the current drive's speed:

Crystal disk.png

My current external drive is SATA II HDD. I plan buying a 3.5" SATA III HDD and a suitable enclosure to replace it.
See below for the current drive's speed:
You will only see an improvement over ESATA if you are using SSD's over USB3. Mechanical HDD's will show little or no improvement. This is a physical limitation with the drives themselves, not the respective data buses.

Junglist

I think I'll still get a USB card for my USB flash drives and I also have a USB 3.0 hub on my monitor.

As far as I can see my x8 slots wired as x4 are PCIe 1.1 generation. Am I able to run at USB 3.0 or 3.1 speeds using this slot?

I think I'll still get a USB card for my USB flash drives and I also have a USB 3.0 hub on my monitor.
Oh, I'm sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was talking you out of it, only that you should get it for other reasons and was trying to set reasonable expectations for you.

As far as I can see my x8 slots wired as x4 are PCIe 1.1 generation. Am I able to run at USB 3.0 or 3.1 speeds using this slot?
Mine is a 3.0 card and I'm getting speeds very nearly spot on what they should be.

Junglist

It's okay I understood, thanks for your help.

I have a question about the motherboard and chipset drivers. I have the latest BIOS (A17) but I’m not sure about the chipset driver version and I’m not sure exactly what the chipset is/does.

I understand that the motherboard has a built in RAID controller and it seems this was giving me problems when upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10. With only C:\ connected everything seemed fine, but when I connected my other HDD, DVD, or eSATA HDD it would get stuck at the windows loading screen. If I booted with only the C:\ and then attached another SATA drive, Windows would freeze. I suspected the RAID controller was at fault (I have never used RAID configuration). In the Device Manager I uninstalled “Intel RAID Controller” which resulted in the C:\ not being able to boot, so I just did a clean install of Windows 10, which is now working perfectly without “Intel RAID Controller” being present in the Device Manager.

My question is what chipset driver am I currently using (Speccy tells me “chipset revision 13”) but following this link states the last update was “x64 | chipset R0JHR_A02-00 | Intel Chipset Device Software | A02 | 9.1.1.1025” which confuses me. I just want to make sure I have everything up do date without installing something that might mess up my Windows 10 install.

Last edited:
System Name BTXTREME
Processor QX6800 SLACP Core2 Extreme
Motherboard Dell 0WG864 LGA775 BTX
Cooling Dell T9303 heatpipe cooler, Delta GFB1212VHG 2 motor fan.
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Video Card(s) Sapphire Dual BIOS R9-285 ITX O/C 2GB DDR5
Storage Crucial M500 240GB SSD
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Case Dell Dimension E 520 MT
Audio Device(s) onboard sound with Logitech Z523 speakers
Power Supply EVGA B2 750W semi modular
Mouse Logitech wireless (two installed)
Keyboard Logitech wireless backlit
Software Win7-64, Throttlestop 6.00 overclock
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 P7644 (52% )In Win7 64, Firestrike 6892 ( 58% ) http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1
The Optiplex XE2 MT has a 365W PSU with a 6 pin PCIe cable and the 8pinMB 4 pin CPU setup. No ATX rats nest needed.
Newegg has new ones, but you can grab the part# and shop if you want to.
1579911461917.png

Last edited:
System Name myPC
Mouse Logitech G203
Keyboard Redragon K509
Software W11 Pro
The chipset revision is different than the chipset driver version. The revision means hardware version. If you don't use the driver supplied by Dell, you're just getting the latest generic Windows version for your chipset,which may not support all the features offered by your chipset. Dell does not provide Windows 10 chipset drivers for your board though, that I could find in a quick search, so that could be what was causing issues before.

2 CPU system are slower than single CPU system in case of applications where both cpus work on same data set, hence latency.

2 CPUs would be advantage in case of applications which use more cores like Video rendering, editing, 3D modelling, Virtualization Cinebench etc.

But in normal daily use applications, gaming etc latency may be disadvantageous.

So it is about using right system for right task.

For Gaming you can take T3500 put in CPU like W3680, use throttlestop to OC it to 4.1 GHz and it will give better result in gaming as compared to T5500.

Take T5500 put in 2 CPU like X5690/X5680 and it will give much much better result in Video rendering, editing, 3D modelling, Virtualization Cinebench .

rossco_50

Hi, hoping someone can advise.

I have a T3500 and upgraded the CPU from a W3503 to a X5677. Latest A17 Bios running. The machine originally had 12GB (6x2gb) Hynix HMT325U7BFR8A (H9 1333 version) but with the X5677 I have only ever been able to get 3 x 2gb working (any combination of 3 from the 6 sticks works, making me think all sticks are ok).

As I am doing more CAD work on the machine than previously and using the latest software I am keen to at least get back to 12Gb if not upgrade to the full 24Gb. Can anyone advise if I should theoretically be able to to run all 6 of these hynix modules with the westmere processor and suggest a fix if so?

I am hesitant to buy other modules until I know it is definitely the RAM and not the CPU. Any advice greatly appreciated.

kind regards,
Rossco

6 X 2GB is Supported Memory Configuration ..... 6 X 4GB is also Supported Memory Configuration ....... as per Dell T3500 Service Manual
1581247837478.png

Both Should Work .......

Try Cleaning all the memory Stick and the Slots any then try reseating the Memory Sticks.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

rossco_50

6 X 2GB is Supported Memory Configuration ..... 6 X 4GB is also Supported Memory Configuration ....... as per Dell T3500 Service Manual

Both Should Work .......

Try Cleaning all the memory Stick and the Slots any then try reseating the Memory Sticks.

Thanks mangupta. Yes I knew that, and the 6 sticks all work with the w3503. I have cleaned and swapped memory many times. Just wondering if anyone knew of a fundamental difference between the CPUs that could make this happen? (I have also tried 2 different x5677s and same thing happens with both - admittedly both from the same seller). Seems I either have to settle for 6gb, go back to the old cpu or try another CPU/RAM. Picking up another Xeon probably cheaper than buying more memory.

Thanks mangupta. Yes I knew that, and the 6 sticks all work with the w3503. I have cleaned and swapped memory many times. Just wondering if anyone knew of a fundamental difference between the CPUs that could make this happen? (I have also tried 2 different x5677s and same thing happens with both - admittedly both from the same seller). Seems I either have to settle for 6gb, go back to the old cpu or try another CPU/RAM. Picking up another Xeon probably cheaper than buying more memory.

This is baffling ........ CPU should not ought to be the problem,

56XX Xeons actually have seen to support even 6 X 8GB (Total 48 GB RAM) on X58 systems.

I have 6 X 4GB RAM Sticks on one of my T3500 with X5680 processor. Once it was showing only 12 GB RAM ........ I tried few times reseating the Memory sticks but it still showed only 12 GB, then I tried a couple of more times and ...... then it was showing all the six sticks (total 24 GB).

I never was able to understand ......

1) Why the problem happened. :confused:
2) How it just got solved. :confused:

because I only did reseating /swapping RAM sticks many times.

System Name BTXTREME
Processor QX6800 SLACP Core2 Extreme
Motherboard Dell 0WG864 LGA775 BTX
Cooling Dell T9303 heatpipe cooler, Delta GFB1212VHG 2 motor fan.
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Video Card(s) Sapphire Dual BIOS R9-285 ITX O/C 2GB DDR5
Storage Crucial M500 240GB SSD
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Case Dell Dimension E 520 MT
Audio Device(s) onboard sound with Logitech Z523 speakers
Power Supply EVGA B2 750W semi modular
Mouse Logitech wireless (two installed)
Keyboard Logitech wireless backlit
Software Win7-64, Throttlestop 6.00 overclock
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 P7644 (52% )In Win7 64, Firestrike 6892 ( 58% ) http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1
I would closely inspect the pins in the CPu socket. May be some thing happened there? Does the old CPU still support 6x2GB? May be 3x4GB will be the solution for you?
Here is my best guess for something that doesn't make sense to begin with.
The 2 CPU Xeon may have been in a system where 3 modules for 1 CPU , and 3 modules on the riser card for the 2nd CPU were used and it's burnt itself in for 3 local modules. I would suggest getting a single QPI Xeon that never would have learned to do this. Of course I'm partial to the W3680 due to it's overclocking potential. But a W3670 might solve the problem.
It's certainly not working the way it's supposed to.

Last edited: