• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Denuvo Joins Exclusive PlayStation 5 Tools and Middleware Program to Offer Anti-Cheat Technology to Game Developers

Space Lynx

Astronaut
This is beyond stupid; games are still going to be cracked no matter what they do. Not to mention GameStop who recycles videogames over and repeatedly.

My town still has a video game physical rental service alongside movies, I wonder how DRM will effect renting games like that the old fashioned way... heh weird.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
Piracy and cheating are two separate things. The latter is (under the current context) specific to online, multiplayer games, which are inherently immune to the former.

Is emulation useful for anything other retro gaming?
I'm well aware of the difference between the two.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Amazing, include performance impacting DRM software on a platform that will likely remain unhacked for a very long time.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Just ffff right off denuvo, wtaf does ps5 need with your game wrecking shite.
It's as pirated as my shits.
And anti cheat, rigghhh t, works great elsewhere, not.
Stick it back ont top shelf on the right.

Because any game it's in I'm not buying, simple.

VrOtk

And people asked where those 8 cores gonna be used...

Taotaisei

Obviously I don't have any of their data to back this up, but I really feel like the contract for the "protection" from Denuvo is likely more than the amount if $ they would lose from the pirating over the next 10 years.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
1:
I am aware, the question was rather how large of a problem it is as compared to for example PC. Most modern consoles do not have emulators. Exception now being the switch. Since consoles the last few generations have required hardware modding or specific (generally early) firmware that you cannot downgrade to.

2:
It doesn't feel like piracy on the actual consoles is that large these days since most people wont go through all that effort.

3:
So the question was not if it exists, it does and most likely always will in one way or another. But how large of an issue is it? How many of active users do have modded consoles or engage in piracy on their consoles? It's not like on PC where its generally pretty effortless to accomplish, a console requires at least some form of dedication or a wallet to open. And I just don't see that as a large issue.

As for the anti-cheat part, how much of an issue is cheating on consoles?
I'll break my thoughts down into a few points by number regarding the quoted post.

1:
Thing is, there may not be emulators for current consoles.... Yet but I can promise you that's being worked on and they will appear one day.
The day they appear being the variable no one really knows and Sony along with others aren't taking any chances of when that may be. If it's really early in the life cycle of the console, it's a no-brainer whats gonna happen next and what effect it will have towards Sony and game developers.
I've seen recently PS3 games still for sale in a few stores like Wal-Mart and even bought one of them because I have a PS3. Since PS4 is still largely relevant for game sales, that plays a part to what these hackers/pirates may target.
Can't guarantee that but it is a possibility.

2:
As for how many are trying to crack games and consoles well, all it takes is just one to do it and it's on.
If memory serves it was the PS3 that a single hacker managed to make a big breakthrough with concerning the console firmware and things snowballed from there. Others picked up on what this one guy had done, then other things happened as you might expect.
However I don't believe the PS3 has been 100% cracked but I also woudn't doubt it being cracked all the way either, esp by now with that console gen being as old as it is.

3:
Related to dedication, you know like I do a few would love nothing better than to outdo Sony just because they are Sony.
It's more of the challenge aspect that plays into it and yes, again there are a few that just don't give a crap and will go for it just to make a point. Maybe Sony pissed them off at some point and all they want is to "Show" Sony what the deal is regardless of any investment involved or whatever else.

They are out there... Somewhere and we all know it.

That's what I'm thinking and based on things I've seen over my 30+ years of console gaming I do believe all that could be the case, at least in part.

System Name Dusty
Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X
Storage yes
Case Fractal Design Define R6
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750w
VR HMD Oculus CV1
I'll break my thoughts down into a few points by number regarding the quoted post.

1:
Thing is, there may not be emulators for current consoles.... Yet but I can promise you that's being worked on and they will appear one day.
The day they appear being the variable no one really knows and Sony along with others aren't taking any chances of when that may be. If it's really early in the life cycle of the console, it's a no-brainer whats gonna happen next and what effect it will have towards Sony and game developers.
I've seen recently PS3 games still for sale in a few stores like Wal-Mart and even bought one of them because I have a PS3. Since PS4 is still largely relevant for game sales, that plays a part to what these hackers/pirates may target.
Can't guarantee that but it is a possibility.

2:
As for how many are trying to crack games and consoles well, all it takes is just one to do it and it's on.
If memory serves it was the PS3 that a single hacker managed to make a big breakthrough with concerning the console firmware and things snowballed from there. Others picked up on what this one guy had done, then other things happened as you might expect.
However I don't believe the PS3 has been 100% cracked but I also woudn't doubt it being cracked all the way either, esp by now with that console gen being as old as it is.

3:
Related to dedication, you know like I do a few would love nothing better than to outdo Sony just because they are Sony.
It's more of the challenge aspect that plays into it and yes, again there are a few that just don't give a crap and will go for it just to make a point. Maybe Sony pissed them off at some point and all they want is to "Show" Sony what the deal is regardless of any investment involved or whatever else.

They are out there... Somewhere and we all know it.

That's what I'm thinking and based on things I've seen over my 30+ years of console gaming I do believe all that could be the case, at least in part.

Its all correct, just not what I was after. The issue is not the existence, its the amount.
If one PS5 out of all ever made and produced was hacked and modded, not an issue. If one in every 10 PS5's were hacked and modded, a large problem. And thats what I was curious about. Not the existence of it, but how common it is for people to actually use it. Chances are there will always be people trying to get their consoles to do something they are not supposed to, thats just the nature of it. Irrelevant if they succeed or not (though sooner or later, they generally do). But how widespread such modifications are.
When I was young pretty much everyone I knew had modded consoles, chipped xboxes and softmodded dreamcasts etc. These days, I havn't actually heard of anyone, that I know where I live, which has anything like that. All of them just wanna play games online and in those cases a chipped or modded console generally won't work, either straight out refuses or it gets banned pretty quickly.
So of course its obvious they want to make sure people can't just circumvent actually buying games, my thoughts were more on if anyone had any numbers or ideas of how common it is for people to do that these days, on modern consoles. As in, how large of an impact on consoles does piracy cause currently for the PS4 or PS5 for example? And also cheating for that matter, I know nothing about that situation on consoles, would be interesting to know though.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Workable emulators are getting there for PS3 and Xbox 360 - RPCS3 and Xenia respectively.
There is nothing really working for PS4/XB1. Not even close, as far as I know.

Theoretically PS4/XB1 generation should be easier as it's all x86 but software and firmware safeguards largely hold and Sony and Microsoft have been more careful about potential unlocks/hacks compared to previous generations and not much useful have been found.

Same goes for unlocked consoles and piracy. PS4 and XB1 both have ways but AFAIK these are really old by now and not that useful. Plus, that disables online play and PS4/XB1 console generation seem to have less and less exclusives - many big games are also on PC.

Processor Ryzen 2700X
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Its all correct, just not what I was after. The issue is not the existence, its the amount.
I thought I had answered that when I said a few.
You sound like an older console gamer like myself BTW so you should have an idea of it like I do.

If one PS5 out of all ever made and produced was hacked and modded, not an issue.
Speaking of numbers, all it took was the one guy successfully hacking Sony's PS3 firmware that made alot of hack-related things possible with it so yes - Even if you only have "The One" guy with "The One" console out of all being hacked, it's still possible this guy could do the same as was done before.
The odds are really stacked against them but it's still possible.

If one in every 10 PS5's were hacked and modded, a large problem. And thats what I was curious about. Not the existence of it, but how common it is for people to actually use it. Chances are there will always be people trying to get their consoles to do something they are not supposed to, thats just the nature of it. Irrelevant if they succeed or not (though sooner or later, they generally do). But how widespread such modifications are.
Sony has made it a real PITA so right now you probrably woudn't find anyone doing it just yet with the PS5, maybe a couple getting started with the PS4 and that means started only.

It's really gonna take someone getting their hands on one of the developer toolkits. That was the key that allowed the last big break to happen, someone got their hands on a toolkit and it went from there concerning the PS3.
All I can say about that is good luck - Sony has those under lock and key, you bet on it.

When I was young pretty much everyone I knew had modded consoles, chipped xboxes and softmodded dreamcasts etc. These days, I havn't actually heard of anyone, that I know where I live, which has anything like that. All of them just wanna play games online and in those cases a chipped or modded console generally won't work, either straight out refuses or it gets banned pretty quickly.
Have a modded PSX and PS2 here myself, one was bought used , the other brandnew before the mod was done.

The PS2 has a plug-in (Non-soldered) mod that lets you play copies of discs but you must be F.A.S.T. to use it since the tray flies open, then slams shut about 2 seconds after it opens. If you can't get the discs swapped in that amount of time it's gonna get nasty.
Never really used the function since it's such a PITA to use.

So of course its obvious they want to make sure people can't just circumvent actually buying games, my thoughts were more on if anyone had any numbers or ideas of how common it is for people to do that these days, on modern consoles. As in, how large of an impact on consoles does piracy cause currently for the PS4 or PS5 for example? And also cheating for that matter, I know nothing about that situation on consoles, would be interesting to know though.
We do know the PS3 itself was a real PITA for hackers for a long time.
I seriously doubt there is much going on with PS4 and practically nothing with PS5 ATM and there is a good chance we'd never really see much from these efforts.....
But that's the challenge of it too.