• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Desktop Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate Icons

Bald Eagle

I discovered some time ago a simple means of adding two desktop icons to cover Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. I now use these icons all the time as it avoids using the Start procedure, which I never use at all unless I wish to Restart immediately after shutdown. Even then, I tend to use my desktop icons. Just close the browser, click the desktop icon and it is done.

On your desktop, right click the free space, then click new shortcut, you get a Wizard, copy/paste the command for the location type from one of the below commands (in this case, %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState ). Then click Next. You are asked to give it a title - Standby, Hibernate or Shutdown, I suggest using "Standby/Hibernate", click Finish.

Shutdown: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s
Reboot: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r
Logoff: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -l
Standby: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
Hibernate: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Hibernate
I have listed Hibernate for reference only, as the Hibernate desktop icon does not work for systems reasons, Hibernate can only be achieved by manually using the Power Options properties panel.

Use CNTRL+C to copy and CNTRL+V to paste.

Hibernate is automatic if the Hibernate box is checked in the Power Options properties panel. If the box is not checked, then Standby is automatic. You have to select this box to give you the option you want.

Standby is more convenient if you are using the PC constantly, it is a quicker recovery, but has a power trickle. For long periods of absence, use Hibernate, it is much slower in recovering, but effectively shuts your computer down.

The Power options panel is found by Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate.

The two desktop icons created can be changed by Right clicking the icon then Properties>Change icon>Browse>Windows 32>shell32dll>select icon>OK>Apply>OK
You now have two brand new icons on your desktop for Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. It works a treat.

My icons are :-

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Is it not the same effort to click or use Windows key> shutdown or restart as it is to minimise window and double click an desktop icon?

Alternatively if you're bothered about the 2 clicks to shut down you could always use the power button on your case to shut down which is even more efficient

Or you could just use a keyboard combination for each operation http://www.pcworld.com/article/166587/keyboard_shortcuts.html

Bald Eagle

Is it not the same effort to click or use Windows key> shutdown or restart as it is to minimise window and double click an desktop icon?

Alternatively if you're bothered about the 2 clicks to shut down you could always use the power button on your case to shut down which is even more efficient

Or you could just use a keyboard combination for each operation http://www.pcworld.com/article/166587/keyboard_shortcuts.html
Thanks for the input, but it is not a matter of clicks or being bothered about anything or using whatever you like. I have posted this option for consideration by any user who may be interested.

I know all the alternatives like the back of my hand, but personally favour the desktop icons as more attractive, convenient and certainly much quicker. They are MY best choice. If others beg to differ, then be my guest, it is a free world. It is an interest post NOT an argumentative topic. If you do not like it, then pass on bye.

By the way who clicks these icons TWICE ? I certainly do not, I never click anything twice, since I have configured my Windows XP to use only ONE click for any icon I have and I have lots of them.

Finally, whoever uses the Power button to shutdown ? Crashing the Power button does not shut down Windows and all the programs properly and is a ham-fisted and reckless suggestion. This is elementary to PC operations and is only done in emergency. You should know this.

PLEASE ! I am not prepared to argue about this proposal, if you think it is rubbish, then just move on and ignore it. The OP is intended to be informative NOT argumentative.

Last edited:
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Thanks for the input, but it is not a matter of clicks or being bothered about anything or using whatever you like. I have posted this option for consideration by any user who may be interested.

I know all the alternatives like the back of my hand, but personally favour the desktop icons as more attractive, convenient and certainly much quicker. They are MY best choice. If others beg to differ, then be my guest, it is a free world. It is an interest post NOT an argumentative topic. If you do not like it, then pass on bye.

By the way who clicks these icons TWICE ? I certainly do not, I never click anything twice, since I have configured my Windows to use only ONE click for any icon I have and I have lots of them.

Why so defensive lol you have just conformed this is YOUR personal way of doing things and is no easier/quicker or convenient than the alternatives and yes anyone can configure icons to open with one click, contrary to your defensive reply, I just choose not too because I have a certain way that I like to do things and have been doing for quite some time, much like yourself, I just don't understand the relevance is all....

If your power options are configured correctly then yes pressing power on your case will safely shut down Windows just the same as using a "desktop icon" or the start menu... glad I taught you something though.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
yeah there is nothing wrong with hitting the power button on your case, it's holding it to force a power off that is bad.

I can't stand single clicking. I'm not sure why but I'm just used to double clicking and hate it when I use someone's computer that has it configured for single.

that being said - still a good share, I rarely ever actually shut down but I use nircmd to create a monitor off shortcut. it puts just the monitor to sleep, but allows mouse to turn it on and allows background activity such as file sharing. this basically bypasses your display sleep settings.

Bald Eagle

Why so defensive lol you have just conformed this is YOUR personal way of doing things and is no easier/quicker or convenient than the alternatives and yes anyone can configure icons to open with one click, contrary to your defensive reply, I just choose not too because I have a certain way that I like to do things and have been doing for quite some time, much like yourself, I just don't understand the relevance is all....

If your power options are configured correctly then yes pressing power on your case will safely shut down Windows just the same as using a "desktop icon" or the start menu... glad I taught you something though.
Thank you again. Yes, I have a personal way just as you do and we may not be fans of each others literary expressions and composition, but is that not life ?

If my OP has helped just ONE person to add a little extra to their PC gymnastics, then it will have made my day. Now please, continue to do things your way and allow others the freedom to do it theirs. Hit the Power button as much as you wish and I will continue to shut down my computer in the proper manner.

For Heavens sake ! I am amazed at the intolerant replies I have had so far, for simply putting forward a unique and attractive proposal.

Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Thank you again. Yes, I have a personal way just as you do and we may not be fans of each others literary expressions and composition, but is that not life ?

If my OP has helped just ONE person to add a little extra to their PC gymnastics, then it will have made my day. Now please, continue to do things your way and allow others the freedom to do it theirs.

I'm glad you feel all the better for sharing it with other's and I didn't mean to come across as a douche by replying to you and stating that it really doesn't matter either which way you do things as it's 6 of one and half a dozen of another if you ask me. Though it was you who asked me to jog on for voicing an opinion, whilst in the next breathe asking me to let you voice your's :wtf:

I guess the time, if any, it would save me over a lifetime has been spent many times over reading and replying to your thread already. But I agree if you have saved even one childs life with this post then it will have been worth it, oh.... wait..... awkward :ohwell:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
shutting down in the proper manner??

How is setting up and configuring a shortcut on your desktop any different then configuring the power button on your PC/laptop to shut the system down? both of them work the same way except one is based on a low level coding and wrangling to make it work while the other is hardware and is pretty straight forward to setup.

the 'proper manner' of shutting down is through the start menu.

Bald Eagle

Since my desire to help others appears to have attracted nothing but astonishingly unjust criticism, except for a THANKS I have received from at least one interested poster, I am unsubscribing from my own thread.

I hope that my OP catches the eye of more enthusiastic readers who may recognise the benefits of my intentionally helpful OP.

Oh, just to enlighten the Power button hitting brigade - Whilst tickling the Power button does shut Windows down correctly - IT DOES NOT PUT WINDOWS INTO STANDBY OR HIBERNATE, which is what my thread is mainly about. Who in their right mind would shut down Windows by using the Power button ? It is akin to stopping a car by crashing the gear box.

Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Since my desire to help others appears to have attracted nothing but astonishingly unjust criticism, except for a THANKS I have received from at least one interested poster, I am unsubscribing from my own thread.

I hope that my OP catches the eye of more enthusiastic readers who may recognise the benefits of my intentionally helpful OP.

Oh, just to enlighten the Power button hitting brigade - Whilst tickling the Power button does shut Windows down correctly - IT DOES NOT PUT WINDOWS INTO STANDBY OR HIBERNATE, which is what my thread is mainly about. Who in their right mind would shut down Windows by using the Power button ? It is akin to stopping a car by crashing the gear box.

You created a seperate icon for sleep/hibernate, saying that hitting the power button doesn't do either of these things is like me saying your power off shortcut doesn't either duh ...

And guess what, using the power button is the same as using start menu or a shortcut, in essence it's nothing like "crashing the gearbox" as you so elequently put it, it has the exact same function.

I don't think you can really complain at the kind of responses you are getting when you look at your first posts and the way you spoke to a lot of people who had been posting here for a long time when you first registered, hopefully that was not the real you and we can continue seeing a lot more constructive threads like this one from here on in, though who can blame people, you can only make one first impression.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
You know, they are great buttons if you remote into your computer, since the power functions are disabled.

Another interesting one is:

Code:
rundll32.exe user32.dll, LockWorkStation

This will lock the workstation. I use it a lot when I have a program I want to run that only runs when a user log on. I just drop a shortcut with that in the startup folder and set the computer to automatically log on. Then it will instantly lock and the computer will still be secure from people that don't know that password.

System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD
Keyboard N64 keyboard for use with N64DD
Found this quite useful. Don't know if your on windows 8 but it looks the same as what I did to mine. Used it to add icons in the start metro rubbish. Until I got rid of it completely and installed start is back.

On the shutdown thing the power button can be configured to hibernate, sleep or shut down your system. And it does it exactly the same as using the start menu button. If You have unsaved documents it halts the shut down until I've saved it closed them exactly the same with the power button as within the start menu. As mentioned if you hold the power button for a couple of seconds then it will force shutdown your system and will just pull the plug regardless of what the system is doing and this can be dangerous.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10

I use the power button a lot, it's at arms length. Cases of old and MB's had sleep buttons but that's all but gone these days. I'd like a sleep button on my PC... otherwise, they're mostly set to sleep after 30-45 min to save power.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
You should never turn off your pc.. Those ice caps aren't going to melt by them self.. :p

EDIT: I leave mine on for Crunching.

Last edited:
System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
@Bald
I just want to clarify. no one here is picking you out or intentionally disagreeing. this is a technical site, so not only do we share our methods but by sharing them we open them to criticism. anything I say is just as open as anything you say. that's a good thing, that's how we all learn.

The point is, we question things because we want to understand and make sure things are understood. it's rarely to call someone out or be an ass.

since the power functions are disabled.

power functions are hidden away, but you should be able to "alt+ctrl+end" and select any option from the bottom right, no?

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
power functions are hidden away, but you should be able to "alt ctrl end" and select any option from the bottom right, no?

You are correct, but alt+ctrl+end is kind of difficult to do on my phone.:D