• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Did I damage my motherboard?

Yeah man that just looks dirty to me. Contact cleaner spray is cheap and quite handy you will find it in almost every hardware store that has a section on electrical or electronic components. Good luck
That makes sense. That’s good that it’s not damaged at all then. I’ll buy some contact cleaner spray then. Thanks!
Yes, that should work! Good luck!
Thanks! That’s good to hear that’s all good then.
Yes. blow out whatever crud/dust there is. It looks that the slot is clean though otherwise, so could be if you accidentally dropped your GPU that landed there, pin looks bent.
But as I said, if it just debris, should be fine, just blow it clean. Hopefully your mishap with the stuck GPU in slot gets sorted.
I’m glad it’s just crud and dust then and that it looks good otherwise. Do any pins look bent based on that 2nd video? It looks good to me but I guess it’s hard to say. I’ll try to blow it clean and all first. Thanks!
You'd have to do some pretty hefty pushing to damage the PCIe connector with a scalpel blade. If you're really concerned about damage use the blunt side of the blade not the sharp side, and use a swiping motion, not a stabbing motion, unless the blob is quite onery.
Oh okay I thought it’d be very easy to damage it, so I’m glad it’s not. I’ll try that then. Thanks!

System Name Fran
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard ROG Strix B550-F GAMING WIFI II
Cooling Hyper 212 Turbo ARGB
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 6700 10GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Kingston A1000 480GB
Display(s) Lenovo G27q-20 (1440p, 165Hz)
Case NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) MOONDROP Aria SE
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Gold III 850W
Mouse Logitech G302
Keyboard IK75 v3 (QMK version)
I thought it’d be very easy to damage it, so I’m glad it’s not. I’ll try that then. Thanks!
Motherboards in general are unbelievably tough. Not counting LGA sockets :p

Motherboards in general are unbelievably tough. Not counting LGA sockets :p
I ended up using an antistatic brush to clean the debris out, and that seems to have worked. I'm glad motherboards are that tough then; it seems undamaged other than that small piece of debris that I easily cleaned. Thanks!

System Name "The Random Dog Special" / ThinkPad P1 Gen 5
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950x / Intel i9 12900h
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X670E-E / Lenovo 21DC002XUS
Cooling Asus ROG Ryujin II 360 / Laptop Cooler
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000MHz CL30) / Micron OEM (DDR5 4800MHz CL42)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX (Sapphire Pulse) / Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080 Ti (80W)
Storage WD Black SN850 2TB / Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Viewsonic XG2431 240Hz / Integrated 2560x1600 165Hz display
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 (White) / 16 inch laptop
Audio Device(s) Audio Technica ATH-M50x + Sound Blaster AE-7 / Moondrop Aria + FiiO KA3
Power Supply Corsair HX1500i / 230W Lenovo Slim Charger
Mouse Logitect G PRO X Superlight / Glourious Model O
Keyboard Custom GMMK PRO (Akko Jelly Black switches) / Modern ThinkPad Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows 11 Pro
I ended up using an antistatic brush to clean the debris out, and that seems to have worked. I'm glad motherboards are that tough then; it seems undamaged other than that small piece of debris that I easily cleaned. Thanks!
That's great! Yeah, motherboards are very tough. I was repairing a laptop once, and my screwdriver slipped and scratched the motherboard. It was near the CPU so I was worried, but it ended working just fine.

That's great! Yeah, motherboards are very tough. I was repairing a laptop once, and my screwdriver slipped and scratched the motherboard. It was near the CPU so I was worried, but it ended working just fine.
I've definitely had my scrwedriver slip a few times too and scratched it; I've also definitely just dropped the whole thing on the motherboard lol. It's a good thing it's still working somehow.