• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Distant Universe

Mr_Headshot

System Name Home Built
Processor Intel core i7 7700K @4.6ghz
Motherboard Asus Z270G Gaming
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 2x8 G.Skill TridentZ DDR 4 3600 XMP
Video Card(s) Asus Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC edition @ 1708mhz, 11100 memory
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500gb
Display(s) BenQ XL2420T 24"
Case Corsair
Audio Device(s) Generic Desktop Speakers, Yeti Stereo Microphone
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000
Mouse WOW MMO gaming mouse legendary edition
Keyboard generic
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Firestrike 21,999 https://www.3dmark.com/fs/18381218 TimeSpy 9434 https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6
Using the Subaru Telescope, a team of Japanese astronomers has discovered the most distant protocluster of galaxies ever found - one that existed less than one billion years after the Big Bang. The astronomers were able to directly observe this cluster of galaxies at an early stage in galaxy evolution, when structures were beginning to form in the early Universe. This discovery will be an important step on the way to understanding structure formation and galaxy evolution.

Objects circled in red are galaxies 12.7 billion light-years away.

Awesome news. Such structures are very faint and rare. This structure is less than 1 billion years younger than Big Bang.

http://phys.org/news/2012-05-subaru-telescope-distant-protocluster-galaxies.html

Here we are 7 years after the first post and now we've discovered a galaxy 13.2 BYO, another 500 million years back in space-time.
https://www.space.com/30170-most-distant-galaxy-discovered.html

System Name serenity now/Faithul Eight
Processor Amd 2400g/Amd 3800x
Motherboard Asrock ab350m Pro 4/Asrock x570 Taichi
Cooling CM Masterair G100M/Wraith
Memory G.skill 2x4gb 3200/2x16 gb 3600 G.skill
Video Card(s) igpu vega 11/3070 oc Palit
Storage Apacer pcie ssd 240 gb/Adata 512gb nvme
Display(s) 50" LG 4k hdr
Case scratch build
Power Supply inter tech 650w 80+bronze/850 phantex pro
Software Ubuntu bionic beaver 18.04 lts/W10
System Name serenity now/Faithul Eight
Processor Amd 2400g/Amd 3800x
Motherboard Asrock ab350m Pro 4/Asrock x570 Taichi
Cooling CM Masterair G100M/Wraith
Memory G.skill 2x4gb 3200/2x16 gb 3600 G.skill
Video Card(s) igpu vega 11/3070 oc Palit
Storage Apacer pcie ssd 240 gb/Adata 512gb nvme
Display(s) 50" LG 4k hdr
Case scratch build
Power Supply inter tech 650w 80+bronze/850 phantex pro
Software Ubuntu bionic beaver 18.04 lts/W10
LOL that's one way to say it :rockout:
That'is only way for non scholar enthusiast like myself .I am happy for them nerds , everyone deserves win once in a while ;)

D

Deleted member 67555

Imagine being a sentient life form witnessing the end of the Universe.

I heard a scientist say that the universe is infinite and it's so infinite that it will expand and contract so many times over trillions upon trillions upon trillions of years that everything that was or could have been will be.
That's an intense thought..
I could have made this very post countless times since the beginning of eternity.

@jmcslob many scenarios are possible, so many theories to check but if something is infinite it doesn't automatically mean that it can have everything. For example Penrose tiling is infinite but it never repeats or in Goodstein's theorem natural numbers can get insanely big but eventually collapse to zero.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
"..print out Chuck Norris copies to take care of the dinosaur problem, very unsettling.." Good stuff!

yeah I really love this guys youtube, his voice is interesting too, unique. thanks for recommending him! I actually have been watching a lot of his backlog videos too, they are fascinating. well informed too, not just some armchair guy, he really takes it serious and you can tell its his passion.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<

Rare 'recurrent nova' visible to unaided eye in the constellation Ophiuchus​

• RS Ophiuchi (RS Oph) is a recurrent nova system, located about 5 000 light-years away from Earth, with a recurrence rate of about 15 - 20 years.
  • Its last outburst took place in 2006.
The 2021 outburst was spotted by Keith Geary from Ireland at 21:55 UTC on August 8, when the brightening increased from magnitude +12 to +5 -- about 600-fold.

On August 10, variable star observer Filipp Romanov of Yuzhno-Morskoy, Russia, reported the magnitude has increased further to +4.6.

Saw this and thought it fit in well here.
I would love to see a Supernova in my lifetime

Last edited:

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
I would love to see a Supernova in my lifetime

Might Happen sooner than you think
"Quote"
A star is born! If you’ve followed my column, you may recall me saying that a new star will appear in the night sky.
This is exciting space news and worth sharing with more sky watch enthusiasts.
In 2022—only a few years from now—an odd type of exploding star called a red nova will appear in our skies in 2022.
This will be the first naked eye nova in decades. And the mechanism behind it is fascinating as well.

This story really begins 10 years ago, when astronomers closely monitored a distant star in Scorpius. This was a double star where the two components were so close together they were actually touching. What was strange is that the orbital period was rapidly decreasing, strongly indicating that the stars might actually merge. Well, it really happened. In 2008, a red nova occurred in that spot, and afterward only one star remained. The two had merged.
Five years earlier, an astronomer predicted that a Red Nova is caused by the merger of stars in a binary system—so the 2008 Scorpius event confirmed that theory.
And now it’s happening again. An astronomy professor at a small U.S. College, along with some of his students, predicted that the double star is just off the right wing tip of Cygnus the swan. From the way the orbit is speeding up from the current 11 hours, that Midwestern astronomer predicts they will merge in the year 2022, give or take half a year. It will be another red nova.

Because this star system is 1800 light years away, which is six times closer than that Scorpius star, the nova should be bright enough to be seen with the naked eye

Source https://www.almanac.com/new-star-night-sky-2022

In 2022—only a few years from now—an odd type of exploding star called a red nova will appear in our skies in 2022.
I think that one was altered after Nasa did some research...

However, I was talking about one of those spectacular, "brighter than a full moon", "so bright you can see it during the day" types of SuperNova.

Red novae are scientifically fasinating, but they are visual non-starters for everyone who doesn't have a 1meter+ telescope.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

Given the large Hubble sample size, there is only a one-in-a-million chance astronomers are wrong due to an unlucky draw, said Riess, a common threshold for taking a problem seriously in physics. This finding is untangling what was becoming a nice and tidy picture of the universe's dynamical evolution. Astronomers are at a loss for an explanation of the disconnect between the expansion rate of the local universe versus the primeval universe, but the answer might involve additional physics of the universe.

To sum it all up, just as I predicted over ten years ago, we actually have no idea about the expansion rate of the universe (the data shows its not true closer to the big bang point now). Just as I also predicted many years ago the Big Bang Theory is mostly incorrect and JWST will probably prove that very soon. How easily scientists yell fact, then how easily they remind the public well facts can change with new data.... hehehe

Given the large Hubble sample size, there is only a one-in-a-million chance astronomers are wrong due to an unlucky draw, said Riess, a common threshold for taking a problem seriously in physics. This finding is untangling what was becoming a nice and tidy picture of the universe's dynamical evolution. Astronomers are at a loss for an explanation of the disconnect between the expansion rate of the local universe versus the primeval universe, but the answer might involve additional physics of the universe.

To sum it all up, just as I predicted over ten years ago, we actually have no idea about the expansion rate of the universe (the data shows its not true closer to the big bang point now). Just as I also predicted many years ago the Big Bang Theory is mostly incorrect and JWST will probably prove that very soon. How easily scientists yell fact, then how easily they remind the public well facts can change with new data.... hehehe
I think you might be misunderstanding what NASA is saying in that article. It's not that we can't confirm that the Universe is expanding, instead it's that we are observing a rate that differs from the rate predicted by General & Special Relativity. Given that G&SR predicts many other things that observations contradict, this is one step further in promoting the fact that G&SR is either flawed or wrong. The Universe continues on it's merry way regardless of our predictions, so either our predictions are wrong or the Universe is misbehaving(BAD Universe, NAUGHTY Universe!!)... Which scenario is more likely?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I think you might be misunderstanding what NASA is saying in that article. It's not that we can't confirm that the Universe is expanding, instead it's that we are observing a rate that differs from the rate predicted by General & Special Relativity. Given that G&SR predicts many other things that observations contradict, this is one step further in promoting the fact that G&SR is either flawed or wrong. The Universe continues on it's merry way regardless of our predictions, so either our predictions are wrong or the Universe is misbehaving(BAD Universe, NAUGHTY Universe!!)... Which scenario is more likely?

from what I read its a specific section closer to the center of the big bang, and that part is not expanding as much as the math should say it should. imo that is a pretty big flaw.

personally I think the Cosmos is so massive and complicated it requires a bit of hubris for any of us to claim we know what is going on in a fact based way.

personally I think the Cosmos is so massive and complicated it requires a bit of hubris for any of us to claim we know what is going on in a fact based way.
Can't disagree with that point considering that we can not observe what is going on outside our Universe in the Cosmos at large. We can't even observe the rest of what's inside our Universe due to the limitations of lightspeed. There are entire sections of the Universe that we can no longer observe because they have expanded away from us so far that light from those area's of the Universe can never reach us because we are accelerating away from each other at a rate greater than the speed of light. What I'm waiting to see is JWT take an image of a Galaxy on the very edge of our observational range fade from view as it moves beyond our observational range, never to be seen again. That will be an interesting day.

Last edited:

r9

System Name Primary|Secondary|Poweredge r410|Dell XPS|SteamDeck
Processor i7 11700k|i7 9700k|2 x E5620 |i5 5500U|Zen 2 4c/8t
Memory 32GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|16GB DDR4|32GB ECC DDR3|8GB DDR4|16GB LPDDR5
Video Card(s) RX 7800xt|RX 6700xt |On-Board|On-Board|8 RDNA 2 CUs
Storage 2TB m.2|512GB SSD+1TB SSD|2x256GBSSD 2x2TBGB|256GB sata|512GB nvme
Display(s) 50" 4k TV | Dell 27" |22" |3.3"|7"
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey+ | Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 11 Pro|Windows 10 Pro|Windows 10 Home| Server 2012 r2|Windows 10 Pro
current data suggests that the universe is flat, there is a certain amount of measuring error, which could mean that the universe is just really really big, so the local curvature we see is too small to detect it (like the earth looks flat to you).

expanding universe means the space _between_ galaxies expands. objects that are gravitationally bound like our whole galaxy, the atoms of the earth, the atoms in your body, their electrons, do not move apart from each other.

a popular example to illustrate expanding universe is a balloon with dots painted on it (galaxies), and the balloon gets inflated, so the space between all points expands. a more accurate representation would be to glue some colored paper dots on it (so those won't expand)
In the next update of the simulation it will be 3D.
It's same like the old games where the background was just 2D texture.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.