• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do you think cryptocurrencies are the future?

That doesn't mean you can't make money off it, of course. But its not a very healthy environment altogether.

Exactly and that is the reason for the contradiction. You write a contradiction and some people will get it.
You can make money with cryptocurrency, but you need to be aware of the risk. IMHO Trades with crypto are more secure than forex trades.
Internet without scam would not be the same. It is not so difficult to spot scam, no social networks i.e. Always rushing to get to the money etc.

System Name SALTY
Processor A10-5800K
Motherboard A75
Cooling Air
Memory 10Gig DDR133
Video Card(s) HD 7660D
Storage HDD
Display(s) 4k HDR TV
Power Supply 320 Watt
Bitcoin was not invented to be an investment, it was put out to give people their own non state controlled way to trade, but as with anything when it becomes of cash value, it's being abused, example, large short term profit gains, it was never meant to be used for this, and just proves it wont work, it will be abused as long as money can be made from it and has to be state regulated, which is what it was meant to avoid.

Bitcoin was not invented to be an investment, it was put out to give people their own non state controlled way to trade,

Yes and kinda meant to replace the world's currencies which is quite crazy. Crazy because why would someone replace world currencies which need to grow in size or mass with a currency which is meant to be restricted to 21 million pieces? And that is what supports speculation even more.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
21 million pieces

It supports far more decimal precision than that and there is no reason one could not one so called satoshi as a unit. There are 100 million satoshis in a single bitcoin. I'll let you do the math and see how it can easily support a two decimal system like the USD.

Not that I believe it will, I am simply stating it is mathmatically doable.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Most fiat currencies grow volume with demand stabilizing per-unit value. Cryptocurrencies have no such stabilizing mechanism.

How many satoshis does an apple cost? Imagine printing that on product labels, then having BTC jump up $1000 USD overnight, and suddenly all of your labels are bad for business.

Last edited:
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Most fiat currencies grow volume with demand stabilizing per-unit value. Cryptocurrencies have no such stabilizing mechanism.

I was only commenting on the math of the idea that you couldn't do enough currency with it, which is wrong. You certainly could. I said nothing about it being well designed (it isn't). But you do seem content to keep going there, eh?

Today's Ponzi scheme .... enough people will be allowed to make money to make the scheme sell, but fir the most part, the only real winnfers will be those manipulating the market

Today's Ponzi scheme .... enough people will be allowed to make money to make the scheme sell, but fir the most part, the only real winnfers will be those manipulating the market

Bitcoin is no poncy scheme, neither are about 25 % of the Altcoins which are connected to bitcoin because they are so aloft they believe it to be unnecessary even creating a pay with xxxcoin button. Bitcoin without FIAT could almost survive, Most others cannot. The bitcoin slaughter of Nov. 2018 will cleanse and lowered the price for some people with an excess of money.

For the many people critical to the Blockchain you should use telegram. in telegram you have access to many start up Coiner Groups which teaches you a lot about the human factor in the Crypto Environment. I'm pretty sure if there are marketing guy here that they could tell a story or 2 about start ups without any money to make it.

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
How many satoshis does an apple cost? Imagine printing that on product labels, then having BTC jump up $1000 USD overnight, and suddenly all of your labels are bad for business.

This is inherently flawed logic. How much does an apple cost in Gold? Oil? Gas? Silver? Salmon? King Crab? Everything has a perceived value. Value is based on market perception + Mining/Development/Creation Costs.

"Fiat currencies grow volume with demand stabilizing per-unit value." Except they don't. Is 1 USD worth 1 Euro? Why is 1 Euro worth more than a dollar then? Why is 1USD worth 20 Pesos?

Fiat only works like you say on a micro level, at the country of origin. Bitcoin works on a global/macro level. There is no exchange rate for Bitcoin. 1 BTC in USA is = 1 BTC in Mexico.

D

Deleted member 158293

Funny thing about gold... on an average 1 pair of shoes/sandles costs roughly the same in gold today as it did thousands of years ago in the Roman times.

Same goes with Bitcoin as it is not inflationary either.

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
Funny thing about gold... on an average 1 pair of shoes/sandles costs roughly the same in gold today as it did thousands of years ago in the Roman times.

would that be cheap chinese sandals or proper roman sandals.. he he

trog

We'd see about that if there was such a credit crunch. What security is there against a virus attack, costing the total wallet count?

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
This is inherently flawed logic. How much does an apple cost in Gold? Oil? Gas? Silver? Salmon? King Crab? Everything has a perceived value. Value is based on market perception + Mining/Development/Creation Costs.

"Fiat currencies grow volume with demand stabilizing per-unit value." Except they don't. Is 1 USD worth 1 Euro? Why is 1 Euro worth more than a dollar then? Why is 1USD worth 20 Pesos?

Fiat only works like you say on a micro level, at the country of origin. Bitcoin works on a global/macro level. There is no exchange rate for Bitcoin. 1 BTC in USA is = 1 BTC in Mexico.
Markets are always relative. An advantage of fiat is that money supply can be eased and constricted relative to the economy. An apple's cost in USD is relative to the cost of virtually everything else USD is used for. There's no market cap on fiat currencies because it's subject to change.

1 USD is not worth 1 EUR because they are not pegged to each other and each fiat currency moves relative to its economy that powers it. EUR has more purchasing power than USD because the EU has lower supply of EURs thereby each EUR having more value than each USD.

Exchange rates aren't fixed even when pegged (because pegged currencies are allowed to float).

D

Deleted member 158293

would that be cheap chinese sandals or proper roman sandals.. he he

trog

I'd say genuine Italian leather :D

We'd see about that if there was such a credit crunch. What security is there against a virus attack, costing the total wallet count?

If the wallet is lost/destroyed/erased there is 24 word passphrase wallet reconstruction, on top of regular wallet password.

Stolen is stolen, like anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
I'd say genuine Italian leather :D
Currently reading up on leather tanning and finding it ironic how google won't help me with a lead on 'ecoltan'(some miracle tanning agent us Turks found?).
If the wallet is lost/destroyed/erased there is 24 word passphrase wallet reconstruction, on top of regular wallet password.

Stolen is stolen, like anything.
Count as in everyone's, in an instant, but thanks for the heads up!

System Name SloMo
Processor G4560
Motherboard MSi H110-PRO-D
Cooling LC-CC-95 @ Arctic Cooling fan
Memory 2X Crucial DDR4 2400 4GB
Video Card(s) Integrated HD 610
Storage WD 500 GB + Seagate 500 GB + Toshiba 3 TB
Display(s) Lenovo D221
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) Manhattan Flex BT Headphones, Encore P-801 stereo speakers
Power Supply Corsair CX450M
Mouse microsoft office mouse
Keyboard Modecom mc-800m
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores gorstak @ hwbot.org
I think blockchain has a definite future, but I wouldn't bet my money on cryptocurrencies. I only invested about 10$ into this whole coin bussiness, about 5 or 6 years ago @ cex.io website. They held 50% of all hashing power in the world and found a block every 8 seconds. I haven't logged in there since I've invested. I think I sold or lost the cellnumber that I used to authenticate myself there. Don't really care, but still receive emails from them occasionally.

Last edited:
System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
D

Deleted member 158293

Currently reading up on leather tanning and finding it ironic how google won't help me with a lead on 'ecoltan'(some miracle tanning agent us Turks found?).
Count as in everyone's, in an instant, but thanks for the heads up!

That would theoretically require every copy of the public ledger be erased worldwide.

Every ledger in cold storage has the possibility to restore every wallet ever made following the passphrase update and before its timestamp.

That would theoretically require every copy of the public ledger be erased worldwide.

Every ledger in cold storage has the possibility to restore every wallet ever made following the passphrase update and before its timestamp.
That's where it targets? I know its fiction, but stuxnet? This heist is worth 10% US debt at one time, mind you, so there is incentive for it.

D

Deleted member 158293

That's where it targets? I know its fiction, but stuxnet? This heist is worth 10% US debt at one time, mind you, so there is incentive for it.

1 public ledger can rebuild the entire bitcoin network. The more individual non-mining & non-pruned nodes there are, the more the copies of the ledger exist worldwide (and offworld since the ledger is also now broadcast from satellite) and the more robust the network.

That's the backbone of a decentralized blockchain vs. a much, much, much, more efficient centralized database, but which is also much more prone to hacking, failure, and centralized control.

1 public ledger can rebuild the entire bitcoin network. The more individual non-mining & non-pruned nodes there are, the more the copies of the ledger exist worldwide (and offworld since the ledger is also now broadcast from satellite) and the more robust the network.

That's the backbone of a decentralized blockchain vs. a much, much, much, more efficient centralized database, but which is also much more prone to hacking, failure, and centralized control.
Okay, but isn't running a non-mining node expensive?

D

Deleted member 158293

Okay, but isn't running a non-mining node expensive?

A non-mining full node can run on a Raspberry Pi and a 1TB hard drive (500gb + years of extra space).

Edit: 500gb, not 500mb

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Ok it is actually worth 20.23 pesos. lol.

I only asked because I remember when the dollar used to be worth a lot of pesos. So, it means the dollar sucks now. Didn't mean anything about the accuracy of your post.

A non-mining full node can run on a Raspberry Pi and a 1TB hard drive (500gb + years of extra space).

Edit: 500gb, not 500mb
Is that with or without the computational validity predication? Say, I topple the wallet count of >99% of the computational powerload. Would the rest of the 1% take enough time to reload the rest of the blockchain until I double spend? I have no incentive to do this, but debt deflation might be enticing to some...