• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Do you use Linux?

Do you use Linux?

• Total voters
System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master V1 (X470)
Cooling individual EKWB/Heatkiller loop
Memory 4*8 GB 3600 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 5700XT
Storage SSD 1TB PCIe 4.0x4, 2 TB PCIe 3.0
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
Audio Device(s) Hifiman, Topping DAC/KHV
Power Supply Seasonic 850W Gold
Mouse Logitech MX2, Logitech MX Ergo Trackball
Keyboard Cherry Stream Wireless, Logitech MX Keys
Software Linux Mint "Vera" Cinnamon
Comparism could be so easy. I have a task to complete. I.e. slicing a high complex 3D model. I have two workstations. one with OS1 one with os2. I run that Slicing on both machines. The better performing machine is that ne finishing first. OS1 could be windows freshly installed and OS2 i.e. Zorin OS installed like intended by the distribution. There is no need to optimise it till the end. I'm not in tuning a system. I'm interested to get the things done.

System Name HP Z400
Processor Intel Xeon X5687
Motherboard Z400 6 DIMM Version
Cooling Stock High Performance
Memory 6 x 4GB 1600MHz (Total 24GB)
Video Card(s) Nvidia Quadro K4000 3GB
Storage Samsung 830 256GB - Patrion Burst 128GB - Crucial MX500 1TB
Display(s) 3 x HP EliteDisplay 241i
Case HP Z400
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Stock 475 Watt
Mouse Logitech M500 Corded
Keyboard HP KU-0316
Software Zorin OS PRO 16.3 / Fedora 38
2 years ago I still had 3 computers running Windows.
I had very little experience with Linux at the time, so the installation was ruined in no time.
After continuing to try, I started actively using Linux with 1 PC a year ago. I opted for ZorinOS 16.2. For every program I needed in Windows, I started looking for an alternative in Linux.

Then I had an HTPC, with Windows 11, which also switched to ZorinOS. However, the desktop environment does not return properly after sleep mode. So I think this will be ported soon too.

My main system still runs ZorinOS 16.3, but I now also run Debian 12 on a second system. And I think I'll switch the HTPC to that too.

Except for an HP Z210 with Windows 7 and my retro PCs, everything else has been transferred to Linux (ZorinOS & Debian)

System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
since yesterday.
IMG20231029143820.jpg

Last edited:
System Name Never trust a socket with less than 2000 pins
Game framerates are very easy to compare. If one OS offers a better framerate performance and that is what is most important to the user, that is the defining metric.

I don't think so.

As I mentioned above, one platform might silently drop graphics features from a game (because they happen not to be implemented). Finding that out can be non-trivial and obviously it would lead to a higher framerate. At least you would have to compare a couple screenshots.

Secondly, the OS' CPU scheduler matters a lot and the one in Linux has many knobs to tune it, not to mention kernel 6.6 got an entirely new one. If you want maximum performance in one specific application then a bit of experimental tuning is required in all OSes.

Also, if you really want maximum performance you should run Intel's Clear Linux. It's defaults are noticeably faster than most other distributions for a wide variety of applications.

Furthermore, it must also be said that he never or very rarely tests many operating systems that often perform faster than Ubuntu/Arch/openSUSE/Debian.

Yeah. I'm trying to nudge Michael into including FreeBSD into his tests more regularly, but so far without success.

Yeah. I'm trying to nudge Michael into including FreeBSD into his tests more regularly, but so far without success.
FreeBSD performs more strongly on hardware older than three years. On recent hardware, FreeBSD sometimes does not perform as well, think Alder Lake and Raptor Lake.
This problem may be less of an issue with AMD.

But I was thinking e.g. NixOS, Alpine Linux, GNU Guix, OpenMandriva Rome, ALT Sisyphus, PCLinuxOS, Void Linux.
These are the systems he may test more often as far as I am concerned.

System Name Never trust a socket with less than 2000 pins
FreeBSD performs more strongly on hardware older than three years. On recent hardware, FreeBSD sometimes does not perform as well, think Alder Lake and Raptor Lake.
This problem may be less of an issue with AMD.

Well, I would like to have numbers for that.

And to name a specific thing: the FreeBSD scheduler seems to do a good job although it is much simpler than either the old or the new Linux scheduler. Michael's tests would be suitable to see that.

Well, I would like to have numbers for that.

And to name a specific thing: the FreeBSD scheduler seems to do a good job although it is much simpler than either the old or the new Linux scheduler. Michael's tests would be suitable to see that.
That's not the problem. Alder Lake and Raptor Lake are hybrid CPUs. This is a new type of architecture that FreeBSD has no knowledge of.
FreeBSD does not officially have support for these yet. So these CPUs are actually not yet fully supported and they are not yet properly optimized.
It is starting to get ready to use when you are not using the integrated graphics but it is not yet performing optimally.

I can't immediately find a comparison of Cinnamon + muffin with bspwm + compton/picom, and I wouldn't trust that Cinnamon is always exactly the same speed.
Another one I don't know about. I use XFCE Mint.

As I mentioned above, one platform might silently drop graphics features from a game (because they happen not to be implemented). Finding that out can be non-trivial and obviously it would lead to a higher framerate. At least you would have to compare a couple screenshots.
Unless you use NVidia's drivers. They never drop features.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Unless you use NVidia's drivers. They never drop features.
I think he means drivers that don't implement the full OpenGL feature set and will not render all the effects. But I haven't heard of that being an issue since at least DXVK.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I hope this doesn't sound like I'm advertising or anything, but phoronix.com has been doing that for years, including comparing to Windows.
You can even throw some $$$ their way if you want something specific bechmarked and Michael will make it happen.

I checked out this website, but honestly I found the graphs hard to read and so I didn't get much from it. can someone just tell me which OS is fastest on avg game compare for 7900 xt or xtx?

Another one I don't know about. I use XFCE Mint.

only reason I don't use XFCE Mint anymore is because I don't know who makes it, it says on Linux Mint website the only variant they actually spend time on is Cinnamon...

System Name Specs Last Update: 8/April/2024
Processor Intel Core i5 9400f 2.9GHz/4.0 Turbo (NoOC)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370M D3H rev. 1.0
Cooling be quite! Dark Rock Slim 180W TDP (The Silent Wings 3 120mm Fan)
Memory Corsair Red Line 8x2 16GB 3000MHz (NoOC) DDR4-3000 15-17-17-35 (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R) V1.35 ver 4.24
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce MSI 980 Ti Golden Edition (NoOC)| Spare: GTX 650 Ti 1 GB
Storage Samsung 870 EVO 4 TB | Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | Cold Backup: WDC Black 930 GiB WD1003FZEX
Display(s) Asus VG248QZ 1920x1080 144hz 24" (Current: 60hz)
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair 850W RMi
Mouse Logitech M187 wireless (First day of use 30-9-2021)
Keyboard Logitech K270 wireless
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC 2021 / Linux: Candidates: Bazzite - Linux MX - Tuxedo - Kubuntu
I checked out this website, but honestly I found the graphs hard to read and so I didn't get much from it. can someone just tell me which OS is fastest on avg game compare for 7900 xt or xtx?

only reason I don't use XFCE Mint anymore is because I don't know who makes it, it says on Linux Mint website the only variant they actually spend time on is Cinnamon...
Regarding the performance, I have checked many benches in the past from Bero Tech - YouTube . There few FPS differences that don't really matter. What matters are the drivers and wine, dvx etc used on the games. Usually the newest, the better. Also, The use of custom Proton or wine like proton-ge-custom and wine-ge-custom or others

Clement Lefebvre

Him and the community of Linux mint makes/develops it.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

if you go to official download page of linux mint, it will say under Cinnamon branch: devloped for and by Linux Mint team

then it say under Linux Mint Mate, "we are involved in the development of Mate" which implies not as much as Cinnamon

and under XFCE it says nothing, unfortunately I can't find the article that says XFCE is not developed by the Mint team, I know I read it on a different website once though, its possible I am remembering wrong and it was something else. I think there is something to it based on that wording though.

if you go to official download page of linux mint, it will say under Cinnamon branch: devloped for and by Linux Mint team

then it say under Linux Mint Mate, "we are involved in the development of Mate" which implies not as much as Cinnamon

and under XFCE it says nothing, unfortunately I can't find the article that says XFCE is not developed by the Mint team, I know I read it on a different website once though, its possible I am remembering wrong and it was something else. I think there is something to it based on that wording though.
You're talking about the Desktop shell environment. XFCE is trustworthy, so is Mate. The Mint folks always check the source code for packages they include. Worry not good sir!

System Name HP Z400
Processor Intel Xeon X5687
Motherboard Z400 6 DIMM Version
Cooling Stock High Performance
Memory 6 x 4GB 1600MHz (Total 24GB)
Video Card(s) Nvidia Quadro K4000 3GB
Storage Samsung 830 256GB - Patrion Burst 128GB - Crucial MX500 1TB
Display(s) 3 x HP EliteDisplay 241i
Case HP Z400
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Stock 475 Watt
Mouse Logitech M500 Corded
Keyboard HP KU-0316
Software Zorin OS PRO 16.3 / Fedora 38
Then I had an HTPC, with Windows 11, which also switched to ZorinOS. However, the desktop environment does not return properly after sleep mode. So I think this will be ported soon too.

.... and Switched to Debian 12 too with the x11 desktop environment.

No problems with coming alive after sleepmode anymore

The build itself

IMG_20231102_130131_808.jpg
IMG_20231102_130135_400.jpg

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple Silicon M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple Silicon M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (including latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I'm pretty sure anyone with a recent wifi router (in 2023) is technically using Linux. There are more and more "smart" devices that use the Linux operating system, even in embedded controllers like automotive entertainment systems.

A lot of set top boxes have been running Linux. I know the TiVo devices ran a modified version of Linux since the late 1990s (MIPS RISC CPUs back then).

Plenty of Linux penetration even if it's not used in a desktop PC mode. I've been running Kodi via LibreELEC on a Raspberry Pi 4 for about four years. It doesn't say "I am Linux" until you ssh into the device.

In my mind, at least in late 2023, the farther away a Linux system is from a desktop PC, the better chance it has at being something useful to Joe Consumer. Gas station POS terminals and ATMs run Linux, it's been pretty ho-hum for years.

System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
I'm pretty sure anyone with a recent wifi router (in 2023) is technically using Linux. There are more and more "smart" devices that use the Linux operating system, even in embedded controllers like automotive entertainment systems.

Isn't also Android based on Linux?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Gas station POS terminals and ATMs run Linux
ATMs actually have historically been windows embedded. Before that, they were OS/2 for a great many decades, until it became unmaintainable.

System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
Yes, Android is Linux.
KaiOS either. So a lot of people are using linux. ;)

ATMs actually have historically been windows embedded. Before that, they were OS/2 for a great many decades, until it became unmaintainable.

Afaik The Deutsche Bank bought OS/2. They used it a real long time. I remember that i had as Project manager an OS/2 Rollout around 2015 or so. Also i started my business Life as a developer with OS/2 in the pharmaceutical branch. Transforming OS/2 Programs over to Windows NT 4.0.

System Name Naboo (2019)
Processor AMD 3800x
Display(s) 2*WQHD
Case Lian Li O11 Rog
This is true. A lot of people don't realize that Linux is THE most used OS on Earth, thanks to Android.
Not only Android. Just think about all the Web-Servers and Apache. ;) It is also said that 96,4% of all servers run Linux. So mostly people use computer power controlled and powered by Linux.

Yes Ubuntu as a server OS, have kdi plasma for gui.

My what a pain it can be at times.

The underlying OS is solid but the admin and general use of it is serious pain.

That's why Windows has dominated despite being crap and getting worse through the last 10 years.

Wouldn't surprise me if a more useable version of Linux comes eventually as Android has done in the mobile space.