• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does Spatial Sound interfere with DTS Connect?

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Since many are reporting that the Spatial Sound MS included in the Creators Update is reverting their Realtek onboard sound output to 2.1 (including via S/PDIF), I have to ask those of you with Realtek MBs that have DTS Connect, if it destroys center and surround channels when using the DTS option that's been included on ALC1150 and 1220 chips? I'd especially like to know whether Digital Optical output via S/PDIF is affected?

If you want verification if there's anything wrong with my AVR, or if not disabling or uninstalling the other non Realtek HD Audio Device listed in Device Manager is the cause of this, it isn't. I've tried disabling and uninstalling the other device, and when restarting W10 I DO see my AVR report surround capability, but as soon as the W10 sound icon appears on my taskbar, part of which has Spatial Sound in it's context menu, the AVR switches to 2.1, with no sim surround options. And this happens whether Spatial Sound is Off or not.

I get the feeling MS got big money from Dolby to have Dolby Atmos as an option in the latest update, on the condition that Realtek's sim surround would be killed in the process, forcing people to buy Dolby Atmos, which is a lot cheaper than you can get a DTS capable sound card for. the thing is though, I'm not sure that even if I buy Dolby Atmos, it will allow me to get surround through my 5.1 speakers, or just virtual surround via headphones like Windows Sonic does. Plus I also don't know if for games the game has to support Dolby Atmos.

I'm told DTS Connect works on any game because it up-converts any stereo signal to surround, but in my searching and perusing of Dolby's own site, forum chat and Dolby's info seems to indicate games have to support Dolby Atmos to get it for gaming. If so, this is disappointing. I can't be totally mad at Dolby because their AC-4 was selected as the audio codec for ATSC 3.0, which will revolutionize TV broadcasts, but they need to bring DDL support back to MBs if they want to compete with DTS in gaming. I'm guessing the reason there's hardly any DDL capable onboard audio chips anymore is Dolby is charging Realtek more than they're willing to pay for it.

There's hardly any DDL capable onboard audio anymore, and I'm guessing it's because Dolby is charging Realtek more than they're willing to pay for it.

...Just found this 52 page thread on the subject, and it says DTS Connect and DDL don't work after Creators Update 1703. In fact people are reporting that uninstalling Realtek drivers and letting MS install the most compatible driver doesn't work either. Also the Realtek sound panel doesn't even show up, which has been the case for me as well even on a MB that doesn't support DTS Connect or DDL.

The only one in that thread I see offering a workaround involves using a modified driver and hacking the registry. I'm worried that even if that works, it could cause a serious problem with future W10 updates, maybe even a nasty reboot loop requiring a format.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...m/97f4be7d-3f6a-4cc1-9d39-0af6f0b284df?auth=1

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I get the feeling MS got big money from Dolby to have Dolby Atmos as an option in the latest update
Actually, it does not work that way. If you (as a company) want to support Dolby in your products, you have to pay Dolby. Dolby does not pay you.

I also had my surround sound killed, but not Realtek. Realtek was still my audio manager. The problem was actually with my speakers. I had to disable Logitech's M3D special effects synthesizer and suddenly, my rear speakers came to life again.

Not sure any of that will help you, but it might give you a clue where to look.

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
I also had my surround sound killed, but not Realtek.
Can you be more specific? If you're referring to the Giga GA-Z170-HD3 in your spec chart, does the DTS Connect on it also work properly in 5.1? I've read ALC887 supports DTS Connect, and your MB has that version of Realtek chip from what I've read.

I really don't get how this could affect some Realtek MBs and not others. For now I've uninstalled the Realtek HD Audio driver and am just using the MS Digital Audio device on S/PIDF. It's basically the same since I had to use the Realtek HD Audio in Dolby Pro Logic II sim surround like I do with the MS Digital Audio. Only difference is there's no sound manager GUI like Realtek has.

Going forward it's going to make it hard to choose a new MB for the new gen of RAM and CPUs though. I'd kinda narrowed my choice down to the ASUS Prime Z370-A, but now I'll have to do some searching to see if those whom have purchased them are having these surround sound problems since Spatial Sound came out. That MB has ASUS' own s1220a though, a modified version of ALC1220, so hopefully it's not affected.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Just another update. After chatting with ASUS following a weird phone call that didn't go through (heard what appeared to be another customer asking questions, but no one could hear me), I was told this Spatial Sound update doesn't affect the newer Realtek chipsets. The only place to get the audio driver for the s1220a audio chipset on the ASUS Prime Z370-A I'm looking at appears to be on the ASUS site. The latest 2.82 Realtek driver on Realtek's site only lists it supporting up through chipset 890. The ALC1150 and ALC1220 chipsets are not listed.

The chat guy also said installing the audio driver from ASUS support page for my P6X58D-E should also fix the loss of center and surround on my current setup. Well, it installed the Realtek Audio Manager anyway, and my receiver this time had it's center and surround channel icons showing even after the Windows sound icon came on the taskbar, but as soon as I run any audio source, it reverts to PCM 2.1. It will not play center or surround even if I click Surround on my remote, it just says Straight on the receiver display. Furthermore when I delete all remaining bits of the Realtek driver, my receiver will instantly show center and surround channels again before I even reboot.

So I called back hoping to get someone to talk to this time, since I was now skeptical about what the chat guy said about the s1220a still working, after being wrong about their driver fixing the center and surround on my P6X58D-E. The guy wasn't sure, and I'd rather hear that than some baseless "it won't be a problem" answer. This guy said he'd escalate the question to their engineers, and email me the response. My hope is the engineers don't go just by what they think should work, but by what actual testing on the 1703 and beyond W10 builds show.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Can you be more specific? If you're referring to the Giga GA-Z170-HD3 in your spec chart, does the DTS Connect on it also work properly in 5.1?
Sorry, I don't use that configuration. I was just commenting that the update reverted my Windows sound settings back to 2.1. I actually have the Logitech Z560 THX Certified 4.1 Speaker System, not a 5.1. An truely excellent speaker system for a computer sound system but the electronics for these speakers don't support digital inputs.

That said, I was pointing out it was Windows Control Panel Sound settings that changed and it was easy to setup my quad surround sound again.

Sorry if I cause some confusion.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
That tells me basically nothing regarding whether 5.1 DTS Connect works through optical out. I just hope ASUS properly tests it and is honest about the results, because I have zero trust in MS fixing this, or even acknowledging it.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
That tells me basically nothing regarding whether 5.1 DTS Connect works through optical out. I just hope ASUS properly tests it and is honest about the results, because I have zero trust in MS fixing this, or even acknowledging it.
I'm using DTS Connect via optical via ALC1220 on ASRock motherboards, no problem connecting to my HT amp and all channels are working. ;) A lot of this is going to depend on individual motherboards and software support, but you do always having the option of trying an "unlocked" driver to enable these added software features. It's all about the software. that software is provided by your board maker.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I am not sure your issue is Microsoft's fault. Mine just changed settings. Changing them back resolved my problem so that, IMO, was Microsoft's fault. All settings should be preserved through updates AS LONG AS the drivers don't need updating.

But drivers are the hardware makers' responsibility. It is Microsoft's responsibility to ensure manufacturers have all the specs and protocols in advance of any release of updates that change those specs and protocols. And AFAIK, Microsoft did that with this latest Fall update too. Since cadaveca's ASRock board is working, that would also suggest this is not Microsoft's fault.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Well it's good to know at least the latest Realtek chipsets might be working OK. Maybe Realtek is the one not being diligent enough to update drivers to be compatible with the latest W10 updates on the older chipsets.

Either way, I'm too soon toward getting a 1220 equipped MB to risk another attempt at the unlocked driver hack. I tried it before, don't recall if it was on W7 or 10, but the results weren't good.

Mouse Logitech M190
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Maybe Realtek is the one not being diligent enough to update drivers to be compatible with the latest W10 updates on the older chipsets.
Maybe, but the problem is there is no real incentive for hardware makers to invest time and money with costly development (and testing) of drivers for their legacy, out-of-production (obsolete?) products and devices. They get $0.00 returns on those costly investments. Since the ASUS P6X58D-E came out about 8 years ago, there probably just are not that many users who would benefit.

No doubt ASUS and Realtek would prefer you invest in a whole new motherboard platform - something they can earn some profit from.