• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

does the latest Ubuntu kernel auto support freesync/turn it on for AMD systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I struggled to find a way to test if freesync is turned on in linux mint or ubuntu. i know linux os has the amd drivers built into it, so you don't have to install drivers like you do in windows, but i just am wondering how do i get freesync to work? Is it a bunch of command line work or does it do it automatically now?

D

Deleted member 232534

please write in terminal while in graphic env, and write us the output if any

Code:
xrandr --props | grep vrr

Code:
lspci -v | grep amdgpu

Space Lynx

Astronaut
bump, still would like to know.

also, 23.10 ubuntu came out yesterday, I am waiting for the fixed version to be released probably sometime next week, but even when the fixed version comes out, is it possible to install Ubuntu with only English and no other langauge gets installed? just feel like I would prefer it that way

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Philips Evnia 49M2C8900
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
bump, still would like to know.

also, 23.10 ubuntu came out yesterday, I am waiting for the fixed version to be released probably sometime next week, but even when the fixed version comes out, is it possible to install Ubuntu with only English and no other langauge gets installed? just feel like I would prefer it that way

looks like you literally didnt do what was asked by the member that originally answered you. Or do any legwork on your own and by that I mean a web search.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
looks like you literally didnt do what was asked by the member that originally answered you. Or do any legwork on your own and by that I mean a web search.

I just need to know if there is a toggle for it somewhere, I'm not doing command line linux. I want basic user experience, like Cinnamon gives me. I am not doing command lines, never have, never will. I just need to know does Freesync work automatically if your monitor supports it on a clean install of ubuntu or linux cinnamon mint?

that article still doesn't give me a definitive answer, it says they will give freesync another go with 6.5 kernel, but is that official? can someone confirm freesync works on a clean install of ubuntu and no tinkering needed?

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Philips Evnia 49M2C8900
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
idk. its from the AMD GPU team, but lets do another painless search for the 6.5 release notes.

Now I know you dont like doing any work for info, so now lets see if 6.5 made it into 23.10 by default

Nice.

i already knew 6.5 was in 23.10 and 6.5 was in the advanced channel released before 23.10 came out yesterday too.

i just thought someone here would have had that experience by now is all, cause surely i am not the only one interested in freesync. i'd still like to hear user experiences to see if it works right for them, if they can tell a difference in games that are prone to screen tearing without it, etc.

you can just lock thread, i don't actually care that much to have a back and forth defending myself

Status
Not open for further replies.