• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Does Win 7 Make Vista Obsolete?

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
I'm not sure what kind of point you've made here. Your XP64 install is more stable than vista in your eyes so does that mean it's newer and better (your words :confused:)? ......Take a few moments and realize what you just said. Sure I'll answer, no it does not mean that. :slap: And to the first question, isn't the nature of beta that it's testing phase so they can work out the kinks and don't they always say the beta release is unstable, hence the recommendation of not using it as a primary os? :slap: All beta software is this way. Just b/c you haven't had problems, doesn't mean no one else did. I had no problems w/ beta vista but at that point I wouldn't say it's more stable than xp.

Anyway, I'm sure your heart of hearts tells you vista was a complete failure and 7 is our salvation and simply better in every way. So, by all means, enjoy. :)

Originally Posted by farlex85
Regardless of your personal experience with them, the only way to assume they could even have equal stability is to assume they are pretty much the same, which would essentially mean 7, at least at this point, is nothing more than vista with a couple of new features.
:slap:

So, no, I'm actually using your words, saying that since Vista and 7 are equally stable, they must be the same thing. As to the other point, no, I was answering your question (How can a beta version of something be more stable than something that's been out for 3 years with a service pack under it's belt?) in that how long something has been out has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with its stability, and you can't say that just because something is in Beta, it shouldn't be stable! Personally, I would prefer that something being released to Open Beta SHOULD be relatively stable, and that all the open masses are doing, is finding the oddball situation where starting this when running that, while closing the other actually causes blue butterflies to come out of the cupholder.

Beta should be where you work out the unusual stuff. I just beta-tested a Logitech product, where I was working with basically a finished product, finished packaging, and finished software. All we should have found was obscure bugs, and provide constructive feedback regarding ease of use, functionality, and unusual configuration compatibility issues. And you know what? That's all we did!!!!! There were 2 minor bugs found with compatibility issues with the software and an off-brand scanner software pack. That's it. There were a couple of defect issues ("my product didn't work out of the box", and "mine broke after 3 days"), and a lot of "I like this" and "I don't like that", and TONS of "When and how much!!??". THAT'S what an open beta should be. "We have finished product...did we forget anything?" Unfortunately, with Microsoft, they have convinced the open public that it's perfectly acceptable to release a buggy, faulty operating system as Release Product, insist that there's no way they could possibly anticipate that John Q is actually using 2 scanners on his machine at the same time, so that's why it didn't work, and we buy it anyway.

The only reason I give MS any kudos this time around, is that it appears, 7 is actually close to a finished product. It is more stable by FAR than the early open Vista betas, and from what I recall, better (so far!), than the XP betas I was in on. Is 7 a salvation? I dunno yet. Do I like running XP64 better than Vista? Yup. When the restaurant you go to serves you beans and rice with a roach in the beans, you don't wait to see if the second plate is better after they 'patch' it, you go somewhere else to eat...later...after your stomach stops revolting.... So when Vista asks me every time I delete a file if I want to allow myself to do that, and then asks me if I really meant to delete the file, and then takes 3 minutes to delete a 500k file, I get tired of the service, take my hat and coat, and go somewhere else for dinner. Hence, WinXP. I was early on the XP bandwagon, the security issues never really hit me (except for Nimbda..and that hit almost everyone...), and I was happy with the strength of the system. Could 7 turn sour on me? Sure. Probably will. But I'm a little more likely to come back to the diner when they screw up my check at the end of the meal... I've already tried the food and it was good... I'll probably come back next week too.