• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Doom Eternal Review-Bombed on Steam After Denuvo Anti-Cheat Inclusion in Update 1

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
I think this is the sad state of digital distribution. You don’t own anything, and you get reminded of that from time to time when the real owner shows up.

I’ve worried about this for a while with music and movie subscription services. It initially looks like abundance, but then they pull content without notice or, worse, stick you with the remastered versions of ep4-6 Star Wars where Han shoots second and George Lucas’s “bonus” 90s-CGI scenes stick out like a sore thumb.

System Name Ryzen
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus (Wi-Fi)
Cooling Cryorig H7
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3200MHz 2x8GB + 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 6700 XT GAMING OC
Storage WD_Black SN850 500GB NVMe SSD + Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Gigabyte G27QC
Case NZXT H510 Flow
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Prime
Power Supply Corsair RM650x Gold 650W
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy FPS Cherry MX Blue
Software Windows 11 Pro
Unpopular opinion, I find Doom Eternal to be overhyped/overrated & in my 4hrs of gameplay it forces you to be constantly on the move which entails hopping around like a kangaroo, swinging from ledges like Tarzan forcing you to kill demons in different ways to either earn colourful health drops, armor drops or ammo drops & if you stand still for a couple seconds during a fight you're ass is grass... Doesn't make me feel like a Doom Slayer at all, but hey if you really enjoyed this game more power to yah, as for this dodgy Tencent CCP update, Gross. :pimp:
I feel the same way with DE. Maybe it's just me getting old, but I feel my stress levels increasing every time I play it!

In Doom 2016 you would kind of navigate through a level at leisure, explore a little bit (though limited), and then every once in a while you would come across a demon nest and the tension grew as the hoards came to attack you. For what it was I think it was well paced.

DE just feels 100% ALL THE TIME. No time or space to breath.

Ah, I'll just ride off in my horse and buggy and go back to playing Quake 1 maps... :laugh:

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Asus M4A78LT-M
Cooling Ice Hammer IH-4***
Memory 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair
Video Card(s) Asus HD7870 2GB
Storage 500GB SATAII Samsung | 500GB SATAII Seagate
Display(s) 23" LG 23EA63V-P
Case Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) VIA VT1708S
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Software Windows 10 x64
The fact that it's demons vs slayer probably put off a lot of people who would have liked a pure quake-like death match.
Doom 2016 had that, nobody played it.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
pre-ordered the game since March, but I was waiting for the RTX patch to play it, not this kind of shitty Denuvo patch...Steam is cool, refunded me the game even after more than 2 months passed...

It's shady to add it after the fact. They should offer refunds to people if they aren't happy with it being added.

I think this is the sad state of digital distribution. You don’t own anything, and you get reminded of that from time to time when the real owner shows up.

I’ve worried about this for a while with music and movie subscription services. It initially looks like abundance, but then they pull content without notice or, worse, stick you with the remastered versions of ep4-6 Star Wars where Han shoots second and George Lucas’s “bonus” 90s-CGI scenes stick out like a sore thumb.

And Pirates will laugh: you have no power here. lolz

Processor i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz (H2O Cooled)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling CPU = EK Velocity / GPU = EK Vector
Memory 32GB - G-Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6900 XT (H2O Cooled)
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 970 EVO - 870 QVO
Display(s) Samsung QN90A 50" 4K TV & LG 20" 1600x900
Case Lian Li O11-D
Audio Device(s) Presonus Studio 192
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Matias RGB Backlit Keyboard
Software Windows 10 & macOS (Hackintosh)
99% of the users whining likely don't even know why this is controversial to some and just jump on the bandwagon to feel like they are part of the crowd. this sort of feedback is always political. perhaps if there weren't cheaters and nefarious d-bags playing online games these services wouldn't be needed, but for us who live on planet earth in reality where there are problems with such users on these games then gamers will forever be stuck with anti cheat measures. I suppose the ideal situation would be to split apart the multiplayer and single player modes of the game so those who don't want the required anti cheat software but I have no idea what kind of logistics are needed to make that happen, it could be far too much work for all I know. it's a catch 22, without the software the threads would be equally pissed off crying about cheaters ruining the online experience. seems like the devs cannot win in such a situation. so hopefully everyone is pissed off equally soon, because that means the deal was fair lol.

Im no expert on anti cheat stuff but what is the difference between say the anti cheats for any other online game, like Halo for example? I notice that has an option to disable the anti cheat when I start it up. Im guessing it is just around the kernel level access with Denuvo, but why would any company opt for the controversial kernel level approach if there are other options available? Are they not as effective at catching cheaters or what? Genuinely curious about this.

Im guessing it is just around the kernel level access with Denuvo, but why would any company opt for the controversial kernel level approach if there are other options available? Are they not as effective at catching cheaters or what? Genuinely curious about this.

It's just an easy way to gain total control of the system and find out what's running on your machine. Imagine having a bathroom with clear glass wall. It's like : "Hey, I'm a keylogger also a totally legal malware that can open backdoor and stuffs, but I'm safe, I promise you."
By using Denuvo, we are putting faith in the company not to do anything wrong because they have kernel level control.
In my opinion, Doom deserve the rating, should be 1 star because of this.

pre-ordered the game since March, but I was waiting for the RTX patch to play it, not this kind of shitty Denuvo patch...Steam is cool, refunded me the game even after more than 2 months passed...
Did they really? Thought that was against policy..

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
Did they really? Thought that was against policy..

Yeah I only played like 30 minutes, went through the support on Steam website and complained about Denuvo, requested a refund and a refund they did :D

System Name Red 101
Processor 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9900k
Motherboard EVGA Z370 Classified
Cooling Custom Primochill and Heatkiller water cooling loop
Memory 16GB of Gskill 3200Mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 with Heatkiller block @2114Mhz
Storage 4- Samsung Evo 250GB, 1- Pro 512GB and 1-512GB M.2
Display(s) LG 38" UW
Case In Win 101 customized a lot and painted red
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
Power Supply EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdderv2
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Win10Pro and games
Benchmark Scores NA
Fair enough. Good on Steam.

It's based on time played if I am not mistaken. if you have played enough to beat it, like me, and then they trash the game, like they have, well I am not getting my money back but have a unplayable game.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
It's based on time played if I am not mistaken. if you have played enough to beat it, like me, and then they trash the game, like they have, well I am not getting my money back but have a unplayable game.

Less than 2 hours or less than owning 2 weeks.

If you exceed either of those, they'll generally outright deny your request for a refund. You'll need to reach out through customer service (which can be a bitch at times) and see if they'll make an exception. I think they'll generally allow 1 odd exception per account, if you can make a good plea and you're not too far out of the refund policy.

System Name Red 101
Processor 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9900k
Motherboard EVGA Z370 Classified
Cooling Custom Primochill and Heatkiller water cooling loop
Memory 16GB of Gskill 3200Mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 with Heatkiller block @2114Mhz
Storage 4- Samsung Evo 250GB, 1- Pro 512GB and 1-512GB M.2
Display(s) LG 38" UW
Case In Win 101 customized a lot and painted red
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma
Power Supply EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdderv2
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Win10Pro and games
Benchmark Scores NA
Less than 2 hours or less than owning 2 weeks.

If you exceed either of those, they'll generally outright deny your request for a refund. You'll need to reach out through customer service (which can be a bitch at times) and see if they'll make an exception. I think they'll generally allow 1 odd exception per account, if you can make a good plea and you're not too far out of the refund policy.
yes! I don't plan to, I enjoyed the game and feel that I got my moneys worth. I hope that the game clears up and is fixed so I can play it again some day. for now I am fine as I have beaten it and I would only be going to get the other 2-3% of the game that I may have skipped, I think I am missing a key toy but not worried just bugged me I didn't collect them all :roll:

Alingenomen

It's not the anti cheat that bothers me all that much... It's just that the Windows 10 Anti malware service is going in overdrive because of Denuvo. It sours up to +50% CPU use & my fans are going in bananas every since Denuvo got added. Before Denuvo the game never crashed, never stuttered, always silky smooth on my i9-9900K, 32Gb Ram & RTX 2080 Super. Now I get stutters, lag, noticable hickups (while FPS counter stays above 100FPS). The game also seems to crash now. All of a sudden I'm back at desktop... like *poof*, no warning, no nothing. Directly after a crash the Windows 10 antimalware service goes haywire for 5 - 10 minutes after which I can start to use my computer again. Next crash... again anti malware started going wacko. Then during this I uninstalled Denuvo... BAM! Antimalware services went from 60% CPU to like 0 - 1% instantly... So yeah... It's a Denuvo problem... No question about it. Probably the main problem behind the hickups is that it triggers the Anti Malware which gets priority over all other processes, causing the hickups, crashes & performance issues.

I miss the days of private hosted servers. Cheaters have been around since Maze War in 1973. That was the "original" Doom btw creepy evil eye and everything. That game pioneered so many things for better or worse.

• Love
Reactions: hat

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I miss the days of private hosted servers. Cheaters have been around since Maze War in 1973. That was the "original" Doom btw creepy evil eye and everything. That game pioneered so many things for better or worse.
So much this. It's not hard to find a great server to play on. Publisher owned servers are inferior in every way.

So much this. It's not hard to find a great server to play on. Publisher owned servers are inferior in every way.
Developers pretty much enable open microphone mockingly herd behavioral slug scumming in games today. Why you so salty probably those aim assisted recoil free heat seeking slugs.

Unpopular opinion, I find Doom Eternal to be overhyped/overrated & in my 4hrs of gameplay it forces you to be constantly on the move which entails hopping around like a kangaroo, swinging from ledges like Tarzan forcing you to kill demons in different ways to either earn colourful health drops, armor drops or ammo drops & if you stand still for a couple seconds during a fight you're ass is grass... Doesn't make me feel like a Doom Slayer at all, but hey if you really enjoyed this game more power to yah, as for this dodgy Tencent CCP update, Gross. :pimp:

I'm seconding this too.
Doom 2016 was great, this iteration not much.