• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

e8700 overclocking experiences with true

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
I actually have had this processor about a month now...have swapped it in and out with my e8600 for comparisons' sake...lower vid but higher temps unfortunately which from reading through forums and talking to people is just how it works generally. Anyway currently working on getting highest stable overclock linpack 20 runs stable and I had one at 4.4 ghz with 1.328 volts in bios but working to get it close to 4.4 with less juice and really the best result is this one at roughly 4.3 ghz with 1.28 set in bios with 1.256 actual under load with linpack running...never tested my e8600 with 4.3/1.28 volts but generally speaking voltage needs are similar but my tpower mobo unfortunately has very course voltage settings so not much fine tuning available other than vtt reference voltages and cpu skews...speaking of, does anyone know how to adjust those correctly with a core 2 duo and how they relate to one another? Anyway here is my screenie.

Attachments

• Capture002.jpg
    Capture002.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 471

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Skew should go up as FSB increases. depends on how your bios deals with that(what settings are stock, etc), what you set.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
Skew should go up as FSB increases. depends on how your bios deals with that(what settings are stock, etc), what you set.

well, that's the other thing skew on the cpu on this board starts with 100 and goes up to 1500 or so, I can get anything till around 1000 to run at most...and "stock" is impossible to see for it just says auto and there are no places in bios to see what the skew is set at if you have it at auto unfortunately...also I'm dealing with 430+ fsb as a given so not sure if that's enough to need a skew or not...but thanks, that is a start...now does anyone have any experiences with playing around with the vtt reference core voltages and the difference they can make or is it as simple as leaving at .63 and .67 as I have seen many people say for core 0 and 1 respectively?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
well, that's the other thing skew on the cpu on this board starts with 100 and goes up to 1500 or so, I can get anything till around 1000 to run at most...and "stock" is impossible to see for it just says auto and there are no places in bios to see what the skew is set at if you have it at auto unfortunately...also I'm dealing with 430+ fsb as a given so not sure if that's enough to need a skew or not...but thanks, that is a start...now does anyone have any experiences with playing around with the vtt reference core voltages and the difference they can make or is it as simple as leaving at .63 and .67 as I have seen many people say for core 0 and 1 respectively?

.63 and .67 need to be adjusted with voltage. Because your volts are so low, they should be fine. You'd want to adjust them as you increase core volts, but i don't think you'll get much more without signifigant cooling changes. It also depends on how much votlage drops under load.

400+ FSB is kinda minor. you may want to adjust skew to 400ps or so, if I remember correctly...once you get to 500FSB, skew will become more important...I think around 465 or so. You bios may automatically adjust skew itself while set to auto...hard to say.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Storage 500 gb sd
thanks, that all about makes sense, but I needed confirmation on my instincts and the little information on those settings, currently just reinstalled windows fresh for I had nothing important saved on it and was tired of it telling me it was illegitimate when it's licensed...however seems windows 7 when corrupted even slightly or missing files which may not even be needed to run properly immediately falsely identifies itself as "possibly" ungenuine....anyway I'll keep testing see what I can get this thing to do, trying for least volts possible for 4.33-4.4 ghz and I questioned skews etc to see if perhaps they could be a stumbling block to stability.