• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EA Forces Shut-Down of Fan-Run Servers for no Longer Supported Battlefield Games

I missed the GameSpy closure. Can anyone(in a nutshell) tell me how/why EA closed GameSpy? Seems like leaving it be would have allowed all the users of these older games to continue playing them in a legal and correct manner.

I'm always so disappointed when I read stuff like this. Kick in the face to fans.

System Name Fujitsu Siemens, HP Workstation
Processor Athlon x2 5000+ 3.1GHz, i5 2400
Motherboard Asus
Memory 4GB Samsung
Video Card(s) rx 460 4gb
Storage 750 Evo 250 +2tb
Display(s) Asus 1680x1050 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) Pioneer
Power Supply 430W
Mouse Acme
Keyboard Trust
These games are fast working. all others new ones are slow.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I just don't like that Ubi keeps releasing a lot of open world stuff... Ubi just sucks at it.
Game play wise they do good animations but average mechanics. Visually, I'd say they make decent open world, but they stop there - instead of filling the world with hand placed details, they make generic systems that place small details on the fly using patterns so the world looks too repetitive on the small detail scale where it shouldn't seem repetitive at all.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Game play wise they do good animations but average mechanics. Visually, I'd say they make decent open world, but they stop there - instead of filling the world with hand placed details, they make generic systems that place small details on the fly using patterns so the world looks too repetitive on the small detail scale where it shouldn't seem repetitive at all.

I agree with all of that.

Well, I agree on the animations when it applies to these type of games at least. They're capable of good game concepts elsewhere.

As an aside, I get the feeling EA hired former Ubi people to design DAI's open world. Because it's just as lifeless.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64

Spot on. Ubisoft games are all about that 'first look' and making a good first impression (note: ME:Andromeda has the same issue). The best (worst) example being the E3 visuals of Watch Dogs, compared to the in-game situation. I feel that of all Ubisoft released games of the past years, The Division is the ONLY open world game that really captures a unique vibe and actually looks interesting no matter how long you play it. The level of detail in there is tremendous, the animations are not only fluid but have a good feel to them, AND the game mechanics tie into the setting very well. Compare that to for example GR: Wildlands and it feels super generic. The vistas are nice, and when you get close you wonder if you're playing an ancient Far Cry with the wrong perspective (which, in fact, isn't far from the truth).

Unsurprisingly, the Division was developed by another studio, not a Ubisoft inhouse one.

As far as EA goes - those are specifically the games I love to pay 5 bucks for an some shady key site. Or revisit the game a few years later and pirate it. Its 20 hours of 'oh look this is new' and then you uninstall - classic EA fare since the post Mass Effect 3 era. Battlefield, well, that's a sacrifice I don't mind making since the crapshoot that was BF4's launch. BF3 still plays well, I have ZERO urge to get a newer version of Frostbite at a way too high price point. With BF I usually buy the whole package a year and a half post release - if I even get it

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Sands of Time (whose lead went to make AC.... strangely) and Beyond Good and Evil. Those were great AAA Ubisoft games.

Trials is a great smaller game... but it's gotten much easier in Ubi's hands. I blow through levels on it compared to the original.

System Name CUBE_NXT
Processor i9 12900K @ 5.0Ghz all P-cores with E-cores enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling EK AIO Elite Cooler w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Memory 64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090Ti Ultra Hybrid Gaming w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1000W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
The issue at hand seems to be that they were distributing basically cracked/modified versions of the game to utilize non-Gamespy servers, not the fact that they were using fan run servers in and of themselves.

I don't know if possible but if they could find a way to enable network support without distributing modified versions of the game client, it probably wouldn't be an issue.

Spot on. Ubisoft games are all about that 'first look' and making a good first impression (note: ME:Andromeda has the same issue). The best (worst) example being the E3 visuals of Watch Dogs, compared to the in-game situation. I feel that of all Ubisoft released games of the past years, The Division is the ONLY open world game that really captures a unique vibe and actually looks interesting no matter how long you play it. The level of detail in there is tremendous, the animations are not only fluid but have a good feel to them, AND the game mechanics tie into the setting very well. Compare that to for example GR: Wildlands and it feels super generic. The vistas are nice, and when you get close you wonder if you're playing an ancient Far Cry with the wrong perspective (which, in fact, isn't far from the truth).

Unsurprisingly, the Division was developed by another studio, not a Ubisoft inhouse one.

As far as EA goes - those are specifically the games I love to pay 5 bucks for an some shady key site. Or revisit the game a few years later and pirate it. Its 20 hours of 'oh look this is new' and then you uninstall - classic EA fare since the post Mass Effect 3 era. Battlefield, well, that's a sacrifice I don't mind making since the crapshoot that was BF4's launch. BF3 still plays well, I have ZERO urge to get a newer version of Frostbite at a way too high price point. With BF I usually buy the whole package a year and a half post release - if I even get it

EA feels generic like Ubisoft, they just keep on making same "safe" things over and over. Though not so much where Ubi is literaly using same framework for all open world games. I mean, EA surprise us here and there with gems like Dead Space. Then again that only happened because they bought the company making it (Visceral) and then killed it (also Visceral).

Only exception really is Need for Speed. Because it just has NO competition what so ever from anyone else. There are racing games but they are all Forza/Gran Turismo type which I'm not interested in at all. How have we come to a point where fun arcade racing games entirely disappeared? People really just want to shoot shit up and endlessly grind online RPG's and that's it? This is really the only reason why I buy almost every Need for Speed game. Coz I like racing games and I'm literally left with no choice. And despite some flops here and there NFS remained fairly good. Which is surprising in a way. But then again it could be so much more and it's not...

The issue at hand seems to be that they were distributing basically cracked/modified versions of the game to utilize non-Gamespy servers, not the fact that they were using fan run servers in and of themselves.

I don't know if possible but if they could find a way to enable network support without distributing modified versions of the game client, it probably wouldn't be an issue.
I'd bet on it having to do with the player count. Gaining 175k users for Battlefield Heroes in a matter of months and having 900k total users isn't insignificant.

EA feels generic like Ubisoft, they just keep on making same "safe" things over and over. Though not so much where Ubi is literaly using same framework for all open world games. I mean, EA surprise us here and there with gems like Dead Space. Then again that only happened because they bought the company making it (Visceral) and then killed it (also Visceral).

Only exception really is Need for Speed. Because it just has NO competition what so ever from anyone else. There are racing games but they are all Forza/Gran Turismo type which I'm not interested in at all. How have we come to a point where fun arcade racing games entirely disappeared? People really just want to shoot shit up and endlessly grind online RPG's and that's it? This is really the only reason why I buy almost every Need for Speed game. Coz I like racing games and I'm literally left with no choice. And despite some flops here and there NFS remained fairly good. Which is surprising in a way. But then again it could be so much more and it's not...
That's classic EA strategy. Buy a developer that makes good games, maybe squeeze a few more out of them, then gut 'em and throw them in the pit with the rest of their kills.

The only thing I buy from EA these days is Battlefield game here and there and Need for Speed. And this last one basically just because it's the frigging ONLY half decent racing game with cops and stuff. They just don't release anything good and their business practices are in the shitter for quite a while. Might come to a point I won't buy anything from them out of principle just like I don't from Ubisoft.
With you here. The only EA games I buy are on GOG.
Instead of EA jumping on it and saying, hey guys, lets make a small EA branch of such community folks who would maintain old titles like this with maybe tiny help from EA here and there to up the reputation and good will among people
That's actually a great idea! Too bad the profitability of such great idea's are lost to nitwit suits. IMHO, the only people who should running game companies are gamers, gamers with business degrees, but gamers none the less.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
With you here. The only EA games I buy are on GOG.

That's actually a great idea! Too bad the profitability of such great idea's are lost to nitwit suits. IMHO, the only people who should running game companies are gamers, gamers with business degrees, but gamers none the less.

Instead you have marketing grads who see games as ATM machines (MT).

They're smart to a point though. Because many gamers are as stupid and impulse driven as these guys think they are.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
BF1942 Desert Combat Mod was perfection.

I am consistently disappointed in EA Games as a company,they have nothing to win by shutting down fan run BF2, 2142 servers. About 2 years ago I was playing a lot of classic BF1942, which IIRC seemed to work fine with some unofficial patch that displayed a different master server list, allowing me to play on servers like Moongamers.

BF1942 and BF2 had a terrible buggy release and EA Games treated the community poorly back then too.

They could have gone the Unreal 3 way: release a patch allowing creating and joining customs servers and let the community do the rest. If Epic can do it for a single game, EA can do for his entire franchise, almost a million users is not something to scoff at.

IIRC Sierra/Dynamix did this, right before the studio closed for good, with Tribes 2 and the game lived on another decade before its demise.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock X670E Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 Chromax
Memory 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Trio
Storage Too much
Display(s) Acer Predator XB3 27" 240 Hz
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Audio Device(s) Topping DX5, DCA Aeon II
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w
Mouse G305
Keyboard Wooting HE60
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win 10
did nobody fawking read the notice
it wasn't even a cnd

it was a very polite notice(for ea anyway) asking them to NOT distribute the game files they made no mention or demand they cease running there servers

I don't even think the revive team members read it

the only game affected by this is heros. and thats only because the game files are not available for though other channels

LOL, asking people to not do something, politely or not, in a written letter from EA's lawyers constitutes as a C&D in any court. It may not be a straight up C&D but sending a letter as a warning first asking them to stop is a calculated move by EA's lawyers because it gives them the high ground in court and will significantly strengthen their case.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Revive Network were distributing modified versions of the older Battlefield titles along with a launcher that allowed access to its own, rewritten server infrastructure - and this seems to be the reaon why EA sought closure.

In a nutshell they were distributing the game without permission with a custom launcher. So asking them to stop pretty much giving out pirate copies of the game is what they did. They could instead just provide the launcher and the files needed with launcher not the full game would probably avoided it all to start with.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
IIRC Sierra/Dynamix did this, right before the studio closed for good, with Tribes 2 and the game lived on another decade before its demise.

Tribes 2 was revived (again?) by the fans. http://www.tribesnext.com/
Not sure if you were referring to this or not.

Unfortunately, the servers have been pretty dead for a while. Tribes 1 and 2 will forever be in my memories. RIP amazing MP games.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
In a nutshell they were distributing the game without permission with a custom launcher. So asking them to stop pretty much giving out pirate copies of the game is what they did. They could instead just provide the launcher and the files needed with launcher not the full game would probably avoided it all to start with.

The annoying thing is they won't provide a solution themselves. Like I said in my first post: Nobody wins.

The annoying thing is they won't provide a solution themselves. Like I said in my first post: Nobody wins.
I remember helping a guy restart cs betas 5.2 and the likes after won shut down but its hard to get word out and to get people to play old games. Shocked this took off. CS Beta 5.2 was so much fun...1999 and 2000 memories :D We tried reviving it around 2005-2006 IIRC He hosted a cracked HL iso too lol.

http://eisbaer.essentrix.net/

wow the site is still up a decade plus later....damn. Looks like there might even be live servers but no one plays TT

Jeez this guy must be in his 40s now lol (eisbear)..FYI he is a bit chooky but whatever

You know discord would probably be a god send to reviving this again. IRC and ICQ and private forums were never really good as these types of things. discord seems to be pretty common and solid networking tool for these things

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M-S2H
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix OEM DDR4-3200 @ 3666 18-20-18-36
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case COUGAR MX440 Mesh RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H1 x64
After EA killed Westwood I'm not surprised anymore. They killed my favorite RTS series of all time, and killed the studio entirely.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
After EA killed Westwood I'm not surprised anymore. They killed my favorite RTS series of all time, and killed the studio entirely.
If it makes you feel better, when they kill the studio they acquired all the talent has been already moved to other studios and projects, so they kill a name/brand only ... I know, doesn't make me feel better either

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
If it makes you feel better, when they kill the studio they acquired all the talent has been already moved to other studios and projects, so they kill a name/brand only ... I know, doesn't make me feel better either

But many of those people end up jumping ship because of it. Bioware is full of nobodies and people who were low level at best on their memorable games. It's two founders gone, it's major writers, it's major designers and animators.

And that's not even a "dead" Bioware. Just the bullet riddled body, crawling on the floor.