• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EDP Other and Overheating

System Name Acer Nitro 5 (2020)
Processor i5-10300H
Motherboard -
Cooling -
Memory 8GB DDR4 2933 MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1650Ti
Storage 512GB SSD
Display(s) 144Hz
Case -
Audio Device(s) -
Power Supply -
Mouse -
Keyboard -
VR HMD -
Software Windows 11
I'm experiencing overheating after undervolting. ive tried lowering my core and cache to -125mV but temps are still the same and theres no difference. EDP Other is also red in RING and this has never happened to me before, does anyone know why?

Attachments

• FIVR Cache.png
    FIVR Cache.png
    71 KB · Views: 70
  • FIVR Core.png
    FIVR Core.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 53
  • FIVR GPU.png
    FIVR GPU.png
    71 KB · Views: 59
  • FIVR iGPU.png
    FIVR iGPU.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 75
  • TS.png
    TS.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Logs 24-1-2022.txt
    375.7 KB · Views: 60

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Your laptop manufacturer has low balled the thermal throttling temperature down to 92°C instead of the full Intel recommended 100°C. Their decision results in premature thermal throttling. If you look in the Options window, if you do not see a lock icon near the PROCHOT Offset setting, you can lower the PROCHOT Offset value. This will raise the thermal throttling temperature. Many laptops set the offset to 3 so thermal throttling begins at 97°C.

Undervolting will help but it will not solve the problem if your CPU heatsink is inadequate or if it was poorly installed. Reducing the voltage will reduce power consumption. When the CPU has more power limit headroom, it will speed up. The end result is that power consumption and heat might end up being exactly the same after an undervolt.

10th Gen mobile CPUs have less undervolting headroom compared to previous generations. A -50 mV undervolt will not make a huge difference. If you try to go further, you might start to lose stability.

The log file shows constant thermal throttling (TEMP) when power consumption is at only 30W. The 10300H has a 45W TDP rating. Your heatsink or cooling are totally inadequate. This is a common issue in many laptops. You will need to disassemble your laptop to see if cooling can be improved.

EDP Other is also red in RING and this has never happened to me before
This is normal. Whenever PL1, PL2 or THERMAL go red under the CORE column, EDP OTHER always goes red under the RING column. You will have to ask Intel why this happens. Ignore the RING column. The CORE column is the important one when throttling is in progress.