• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EDP Other error

System Name Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH
Processor Intel Core i5-9300H @4.1Ghz
Cooling Standard Air Cooling
Memory 2 X 8GB DDR4 memory @2666Mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2060M
Storage 256GB Nvme SSD + 1TB HDD
Display(s) 1x 1920x1080p Laptop Lid Monitor @144Hz
Case Standard laptop Chassis
Audio Device(s) Harman SPeakers + Redgear 7.1 surround sound headphones
Power Supply Stock Lenovo PSU
Mouse Lenovo Legion M200 Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 2013
Hi! I opened up the LIMITS tab on TS and i see Thermal and EDP Other error in yellow (not red). I checked a few other threads regarding this but they all seem to be using an older version of throttlestop so i couldnt really understand what was going on. How can i get rid of this and what does the error mean? Also this is just a side question but what does the unexpected kernel mode trap BSOD mean on Windows 10?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
what does the error mean?
THERMAL under the CORE column in Limit Reasons means that your CPU reached its maximum safe operating temperature and was thermal throttling. A red box indicates that thermal throttling is in progress. A yellow box is just a record that some thermal throttling previously happened. When this happens, you will usually see EDP OTHER under the RING column light up at the exact same time. Always look at the CORE column. That is the important one.

Best to turn on the Log File option while you are playing a game. This will provide you with a record of your CPU performance and how serious your thermal throttling problem is. Throttling for a few milliseconds is enough to trigger those boxes in Limit Reasons. If a CPU is constantly thermal throttling and reducing performance, that is a bigger problem than some brief thermal throttling.

System Name Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH
Processor Intel Core i5-9300H @4.1Ghz
Cooling Standard Air Cooling
Memory 2 X 8GB DDR4 memory @2666Mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2060M
Storage 256GB Nvme SSD + 1TB HDD
Display(s) 1x 1920x1080p Laptop Lid Monitor @144Hz
Case Standard laptop Chassis
Audio Device(s) Harman SPeakers + Redgear 7.1 surround sound headphones
Power Supply Stock Lenovo PSU
Mouse Lenovo Legion M200 Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 2013
THERMAL under the CORE column in Limit Reasons means that your CPU reached its maximum safe operating temperature and was thermal throttling. A red box indicates that thermal throttling is in progress. A yellow box is just a record that some thermal throttling previously happened. When this happens, you will usually see EDP OTHER under the RING column light up at the exact same time. Always look at the CORE column. That is the important one.

Best to turn on the Log File option while you are playing a game. This will provide you with a record of your CPU performance and how serious your thermal throttling problem is. Throttling for a few milliseconds is enough to trigger those boxes in Limit Reasons. If a CPU is constantly thermal throttling and reducing performance, that is a bigger problem than some brief thermal throttling.
I see. How do i view the log file? Also should i change anything in the TPL tab? The thermal throttling was to be expected. My coubtry is very hot in the summers and room temperatures arr always 35 to 40 degrees celcius. Sadly i have no AC yet i just have a ceiling fan. What was the BSOD btw incase you happen to know?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
How do i view the log file?
You go into the ThrottleStop / Logs folder, double click on the log file, it will open up and show you lots of valuable information.

Not sure what your BSOD was all about. A computer should be stable even at high temperatures. If you undervolt your computer and you see a BSOD, that usually means that you have gone too far and your CPU needs more voltage.

should i change anything in the TPL tab?
You did not post a screenshot of the TPL window so it is impossible for me to say what you should do. I have no idea what problems you have or what problem you are trying to solve. No need to adjust anything if everything is OK.