• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EK Launches QuantumX Delta TEC Water Block Featuring Intel Cryo Cooling Technology

So up to 200W for the cooler & 300W for CPU, nice going Intel & LTT. Any reason why you would want to push that stupid envelope which was torn apart way back in 2004? This isn't the noughties & 10GHz chips aren't coming anytime soon, shame on Linus for promoting this egregious waste of money & energy on what 0.5% more fps :shadedshu:

So up to 200W for the cooler & 300W for CPU, nice going Intel & LTT. Any reason why you would want to push that stupid envelope which was torn apart way back in 2004? This isn't the noughties & 10GHz chips aren't coming anytime soon, shame on Linus for promoting this egregious waste of money & energy on what 0.5% more fps :shadedshu:

Linus shill tips for whomever is paying. Remember his 8k video sponsored by ngreedia?

That Intel level of agony is... something.

Intel: Our CPU is actually GOOD, you just cool it wrong! We will show you how to cool it right way!
EK: Yeah! (EK just make moneh, we got it)
Intel: Together!
EK: Yeah! ;) ;) ;)
*€349* price tag on block.
PC User: What the hell is going on?!

Mass market should stop on water cooling. Actually find way to replace water on dry water for safety reasons and less RMA. But not damn Cryo! What next then? Cold plasma?

System Name R9 5950x/Skylake 6400
Processor R9 5950x/i5 6400
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master X570/Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360/Stock
Memory 4x8GB Patriot PVS416G4440 CL14/G.S Ripjaws 32 GB F4-3200C16D-32GV
Video Card(s) 7900XTX/6900XT
Storage RIP Seagate 530 4TB (died after 7 months), WD SN850 2TB, Aorus 2TB, Corsair MP600 1TB / 960 Evo 1TB
Display(s) 3x LG 27gl850 1440p
Case Custom builds
Audio Device(s) -
Power Supply Silverstone 1000watt modular Gold/1000Watt Antec
Software Win11pro/win10pro / Win10 Home / win7 / wista 64 bit and XPpro
At least current Intel 10th gen owners should be able to use om the fun stuf to according to Linux - personally looking forward to a 5000 series upgrade before 2035... sigh

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Welcome back to year 2000, Intel and EK. Welcome.

While there, take a look at Peltier-Seebeck and Rankine as well as Carnot cycle textbooks and try to remember why TEC application is limited to what it is.

No point in mentioning Carnot, as it's application is beyond the scope and no real work is being done by the heat cycle so there isn't a heat engine of which to measure efficiency.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
Does anyone see how they can avoid condensation inside the socket with this approach?

Power spec would be interesting, too.

Besides the sealing, I remember a few years back there was a small outfit that used some sensors and IC to monitor humidity, dew and other factors to control the TEC. For the life of me I cannot remember that companies name now. They went under and disappeared from the scene pretty quickly. I wanted to get one of their block and controller setups back then too.

I bet Intel had their hand in this because rocket lake is going to be ungodly hot and insanely power hungry

They couldn't exactly bundle a chiller with each cpu... lolz.

Ellothere

Why not put the thermal electric component into (or next to) the radiator with a separate fan on hot side instead of directly onto the cpu socket? Its much easier to keep water temp just 1 or 2 deg above room temp, and would avoid risking condensation at the heart of the system.

Power consumption doesn't matter too much, whoever is crazy enough to overlock an Intel Gen10, which needs 300+W on its own, won't care about power anyways.

The idea reminds me of the old CoolIT system i used to have with pelters between the waterblocks and a heat sink. Cooled the liquid then sent it back through the system.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Solution is to mount the motherboard upside down so condensation falls away from the motherboard.

Speaking of TECs and Peltiers, I wonder if the combined heat would be sufficient to pair with another TEC and used to power some fans; similar to stove fans. Or even some RGB LEDs around the block for that max FPS gamer bling.

For that matter, I wonder if it's possible to skip that bizarre double-TEC idea and just cool an Intel with a stove-fan like setup; converting some of the heat into electricity to power a fan (could be useful in a mostly-passively cooled case) or RGB system, while the remainder is passively radiated out via giant fins (again, much like all stove fans have).

System Name Main PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
Cooling EKWB X570 VIII Hero Monoblock, 2x XD5, Heatkiller IV SB block for chipset,Alphacool 3090 Strix block
Memory 4x16GB 3200-14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident RGB (OC: 3600-14-14-14-28)
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3090 Strix OC
Storage 500GB+500GB SSD RAID0, Fusion IoDrive2 1.2TB, Huawei HSSD 2TB, 11TB on server used for steam
Display(s) Dell LG CX48 (custom res: 3840x1620@120Hz) + Acer XB271HU 2560x1440@144Hz
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD599, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
Software Windows 10 Pro 20H2
Can't stand Linus, he is a tit
I don't agree with much of what Linus does either, but let's maybe hold off on the personal attacks. He's a YouTuber, and most of his revenue for the company is from advertising. He mentions it's sponsored quite prominently, so I can't fault the guy. He's just doing his job.

D

Deleted member 24505

I don't agree with much of what Linus does either, but let's maybe hold off on the personal attacks. He's a YouTuber, and most of his revenue for the company is from advertising. He mentions it's sponsored quite prominently, so I can't fault the guy. He's just doing his job.

I don't have to like him whatever he does. His job is to promote hardware for free stuff, so not exactly like a doctor or any other job eh.

But anyway.....

Why are people assuming Intel are staying with their 14++++etc just because they have had a hand in developing these tecs? Imo they probably use these in servers so they have just used the tecnology from there to create the desktop variants. for sub ambient temps I actually think they are pretty good. Also I don't really give a flying how much power my CPU uses as long as it does its job and i can cool it adequately. If these work well and are cheaper and easier to setup with less maintenance than a custom loop, thats a win in my book. judging from the videos, the temps are damn good considering the voltages they have used, and not attainable with any air cooler.

System Name Main PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
Cooling EKWB X570 VIII Hero Monoblock, 2x XD5, Heatkiller IV SB block for chipset,Alphacool 3090 Strix block
Memory 4x16GB 3200-14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident RGB (OC: 3600-14-14-14-28)
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3090 Strix OC
Storage 500GB+500GB SSD RAID0, Fusion IoDrive2 1.2TB, Huawei HSSD 2TB, 11TB on server used for steam
Display(s) Dell LG CX48 (custom res: 3840x1620@120Hz) + Acer XB271HU 2560x1440@144Hz
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD599, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK2
Software Windows 10 Pro 20H2
I don't have to like him whatever he does. His job is to promote hardware for free stuff, so not exactly like a doctor or any other job eh.

But anyway.....
You absolutely don't have to like him, but it's uncouth to attack him by calling him 'a tit'. Just.. ignore him?
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything, and all that.

Why are people assuming Intel are staying with their 14++++etc just because they have had a hand in developing these tecs? Imo they probably use these in servers so they have just used the tecnology from there to create the desktop variants.
I don't think any server Intel is making/using has sub-ambient TECs on them. Even watercooled servers are rare these days. Too much risk. Better to just go passive and have 20K RPM fans, no risk of leaks or condensation.

for sub ambient temps I actually think they are pretty good. Also I don't really give a flying how much power my CPU uses as long as it does its job and i can cool it adequately.
So you don't care how much power something uses, as long as you can cool it? That's like saying 'I don't care how much something costs, as long as I can afford it'. Like.. yeah? But wouldn't you want it be cheaper/use less power, if possible?

If these work well and are cheaper and easier to setup with less maintenance than a custom loop, thats a win in my book. judging from the videos, the temps are damn good considering the voltages they have used, and not attainable with any air cooler.
I agree, although this specific product still needs a custom loop. The Coolermaster AIO however does not. But, the AIO is about twice the cost of a regular AIO. But as Linus said in his video, this is a prototype/first gen type of thing. If it gains traction, we might see it actually become viable.

D

Deleted member 24505

So you don't care how much power something uses, as long as you can cool it? That's like saying 'I don't care how much something costs, as long as I can afford it'. Like.. yeah? But wouldn't you want it be cheaper/use less power, if possible?

No i don't really care how much it uses as long as i can cool it. And do you think rich people won't buy something because of the cost? course not. If you can afford something buy it, or don't have it. Iam pretty sure the scalpers would not do it if no one buys the stuff at the high prices, people who have the cash will pay whatever the cost for a 3090 etc off ebay, i would happily do the same if i had cash to pee up the wall.

Not practical for contant high Watts. It could work for single core turbo for 5secs per minute. A TEC on the chip increases the energy the water/radiator has to move & exceeds thermal limits of cooling system much sooner than before. You could build a system with the hot fluid pumped through a radiator as usual & then use a second HSF with a TEC to drop the fluid temp another 10 to 20C.

GoldenPuff

I read all of the comments and i'm really upset.

Yea fuck any innovation.
Remember when everybody was like: "who need gigabytes of storage?" or "who need more then one core?"
Why do you use watercooler?
Air was just fine.

There is a complete new technology and you are expexting it to be as good as something which was researched for years?
Do you remember the first water cooling systems?
Huge radiators, huge pumps, bad efficiency, no way to fit it in a case.
Look at where we are now:
Small Aios with great efficiency.

Finally there is a big company like ek who is giving it a try.
And everybody is just screaming and crying on how bad it is.
Of course that thing is nothing for the average user right now.
This takes time and a lot of research.

And yes its only intel
Is it a bad thing?
No
Why should they make a concept and try to make it compatible with everything?
They have the concept
Now they can improve it.
Then they can do it on other systems.

Stop beeing so conservative.
Otherwise we would still be in the middle age.

I read all of the comments and i'm really upset.

Yea fuck any innovation.

-snipped for space-

Stop beeing so conservative.
Otherwise we would still be in the middle age.

Except that TECs are NOT a new idea. They've been around for novelty/enthusiast computing around 2005-10 (Cooler Master V10, Voltaire Hybrid TEC CPU Cooler, Titan Amanda TEC CPU Cooler, Cool IT's TEC Line, and even one GPU that had a TEC+Blower Hybrid Cooling). Heck, the materials industry has been trying to make TECs work, but short of some major material science breakthrough, it's never going to be more efficient than it was back then. The last major modern TEC cooling solution until now was the Phononic HEX 2.0, but even that didn't really do much better than conventional 120mm or 140mm coolers, while sucking up more power.

Assuming this is a revival of TECs in PC computing other than a few ultra-niche products just to help Intel feel better, I would expect to see EK incorporating TECs into monoblocks to cool entire sections of mobo, along with a 40mm fan or two to keep things dry as possible, as well as an insulated backplate. Also, AIOs probably doing a better job than CM's attempt (and at 360 and 420 rad sizes), and a return to TEC-based GPU cooler concepts (those 3-4 slot behemoths that were TEC+Giant Heatsink+Blower or Fan; often jury-rigged by hardcore OC'ers back then), or a modern 2+2 slot setup; following the Asetek GPU AIO.

That being said, one would have more luck trying to shrink down and modernize phase change coolers for CPU and GPU usage, including making them quieter and easier to integrate into PC cases. And the last time those were done, it was Thermaltake and Asetek that thought sticking a micro-fridge system into a PC case was a great idea (but it was ungodly loud, required a ton of insulation, and like all modern fridges dumped a sizable amount of heat outside of the case). Then some other company tried a "dry air conditioned PC case" concept that insulated the case and used desiccant to keep humidity under control. The closest remaining I can still think of are these rather expensive phase change coolers compatible with most modern CPUs, but those have to be modded to the bottom of a case, ruining most aesthetics.

System Name latest-greatest
Processor i7 12700K
Motherboard Z690 Rog Strix-E
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360
Memory corsair vengeance Ddr5 4800
Video Card(s) 2080ti
Storage 980 pro gen4
Display(s) LG C1 4K 120Mhz
Case fractal meshify2
Audio Device(s) Realtec 4080
Power Supply Corsair rm1000x
I've played around with TEC some 20 years ago on PC builds. The cold side works great! The hot side, not so much and it does get hot! You can't get around the physics. If you want better cooling, figure out a way to make water 'wetter'...

System Name Mikes PC!
Processor AMD 5800X3D @4.55Ghz
Motherboard ASUS B550 F Gaming
Cooling Arctic Cooling 360
Memory HYPERX 32gb 4000Mhz C17
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage WD SN850 BLACK 1TB + Kingston KC2000 1 TB
Display(s) LG OLED C1 48" 4K120Hz
Case Lian Li O11 EVO
Audio Device(s) FiiO k5 Pro + HyperX
Power Supply CoolerMaster 1KW
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11 64bit
What is wrong with you people?

Overclockers always wanted a safe mass produced product to help them get to ambient temps or even below it while running heavy loads on CPUs.

We never got that product until now.
With proven results, humidity countermeasures, product warranty and actually able to fit inside modern computer cases.

Some of you have the mindset:
"Hey i used my aquarium pumb, zip tied my air-conditioners tubes onto a carage drilled piece of copper and back in the 90's and it sucked man! My cpu got wet and temps were not good so EK, Alphacool, Bitspower etc what losers are you trying to get this ugly watercooling technology into the mainstream!! Didn't you get the lesson from MY FAILURE???"

Get real people, technology moves forward and many concepts are improved and pushed by companies so we may get options for better cooling and overclocking.

History repeats itself over and over, when the first AIOs entered the market people raged over them because won't work- won't cool -won't last - Cheapo materials and so on, but here we are years later and i don't see all these guys using aircoolers on their high end rigs lol

Just stop resisting everything new for god's shake and give it some time...