• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EK Goes Outside the Box With New Pass-Through PCI Expansion Slot

GFreeman

News Editor
Staff member
EK, the world-renowned manufacturer of premium water-cooling equipment, is introducing the specialized PCI expansion slot cover, the EK-Loop PCI Bracket Pass-Through. This cleverly designed PCI bracket provides an efficient solution for PC enthusiasts seeking to elevate their custom water-cooling experience by providing seamless connectivity for external cooling solutions, such as external radiators. With the EK-Loop PCI Bracket Pass-Through, users can maximize the potential of their water-cooling setup without being limited by the case size.

This specialized PCI expansion slot cover boasts two integrated pass-through fittings and a convenient cable management hole, ensuring a tidy and organized setup. With two G1/4" ports on each side, users can choose their preferred tubing type and size, granting them complete control over their water-cooling configuration. Specifically designed for this PCI expansion slot cover, the integrated pass-through adapter fittings ensure a secure and reliable connection. The cable management hole, equipped with a rubber gasket, protects cables from friction damage as they pass through the metal gap on the bracket.

A key highlight of the EK-Loop PCI Bracket Pass-Through is its user-friendly installation process. By occupying one unused PCI expansion slot cover, it effortlessly integrates into any setup. Unlike traditional methods that involve drilling holes through the case, this product streamlines the water-cooling setup process, saving users time and effort while ensuring no risk of voiding the warranty or compromising the resale value of the PC case.

Availability and Pricing
The EK-Loop PCI Bracket Pass-Through is made in Slovenia, Europe, and is available for order through the EK Webshop and Partner Reseller Network. suggested retail price (MSRP) for the EK-Quantum Torque Pass-Through G1/4 - Black is 28.90€, VAT included.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor i9-11900K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus XIII Hero
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory 4x8GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Alienware RTX 3090 OEM
Storage OEM Kioxia 2tb NVMe (OS), 4TB WD Blue HDD (games)
Display(s) LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance (black)
Audio Device(s) Logitech Pro X Wireless
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite 2
Remember what they took from you…
1697203397299.jpeg

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair X670E Extreme
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity² DDC 4.2 PWM / Alphacool Monsta 2×180mm / EK P240M
Memory 2×32GB Kingston Fury Beast (6000MHz @ 36-38-38-80)
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6800XT Liquid Devil
Storage 2TB Kingston KC3000 / 2×4TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse ASUS Gladius 3 Wireless
Keyboard Mountain Everest Max
Doesn't Alphacool and several other brands already offer this for years already?

Interesting to remember why grommets were a thing, then not a thing, and now could be a thing again: cases in the past were not designed for watercooling so they had limited space to mount radiators internally, hence the need to pass tubing outside to some external radiators. Then as AIOs and custom loop support became better to the point where dual 280s or dual 360s internally are quite common, the need for grommets decreased and they eventually disappeared. However, the recent generations of CPUs and GPUs have increased the heat load to the point where external radiators are becoming feasible again (not to mention an increasing interest in SFF/compact builds).

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Gene
Cooling Full Custom Water
Memory 48GB DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen5 SSD
Display(s) Asus PG27AQDM
Case Primochill Praxis WetBench
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Pro
Power Supply SeaSonic Prime TX-1600
Mouse G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Ducky MIYA Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/pcm10b/1944567
Doesn't Alphacool and several other brands already offer this for years already?

Interesting to remember why grommets were a thing, then not a thing, and now could be a thing again: cases in the past were not designed for watercooling so they had limited space to mount radiators internally, hence the need to pass tubing outside to some external radiators. Then as AIOs and custom loop support became better to the point where dual 280s or dual 360s internally are quite common, the need for grommets decreased and they eventually disappeared. However, the recent generations of CPUs and GPUs have increased the heat load to the point where external radiators are becoming feasible again (not to mention an increasing interest in SFF/compact builds).

I have the Alphacool passthrough on my AM5 chassis, it works very well.

IMG_2547.JPG IMG_2484.JPG

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
I have the Alphacool passthrough on my AM5 chassis, it works very well.

View attachment 317389 View attachment 317390
What's aquacomputer control board do you have in there? Would you mind running over what it does and what you use it for? Sorry, very interested in their new RGB controller and want to talk to someone who has used their controllers before...

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Dammit, I knew I should have patented this idea several years ago, when I created the same thing for a gamr client, using my dremel tool, about 10 mins of my time, a couple of fittings, and a blank metal pci slot cover...for which I only charged him $10 extra....

Oh well :)

Yep.

Alphacool has the real nice Panamax/Panama HF 38 PCI passthrough, and can even use larger G 3/8ths fittings if the adapters are removed.
Koolance has an old passthrough that also had a slot for a serial port.
Watercool used to have a similar PCI passthrough like Alphacool's, but didn't have the massive high-flow channels that Alphacool's did.

Having owned all 3, Alphacool's is hands-down the best. The issue is removing stuck fittings, since the adapters are more likely to screw off compared to the G1/4 fittings. Koolance's was novel in that it just relied on very high friction press-fittings to get keep it together and had an open slot to pass through wiring or another tube if needed, but it was a PITA trying to take off fittings without accidentally pulling it apart at the slot. Watercool's was nicer than the Koolance's, but a common fix was to try and bore out the PCI plate a bit more for slightly less restriction using a dremel.

We're coming full circle to having separated Radiator/Fan complexes (or chillers) again. I wonder if there will be a revision of the classic MO-RA3, which has been the most popular external rad for years. Both versions generally rivaled 3x 360s or 3x 420s in terms of cooling performance.

Time to break out my zalman reserator tower.
I use to overclock using these back in the day by using bags of ice as needed.
The built in pump was rubbish so I took it out and used a D5 in the pc. It was honestly amazing fun to use.

This is a bit of hit and miss.

Hit if you have no issues with clearance between slots and cards.

Miss if you do.

This is much better product: https://shop.watercool.de/PCI-Slot-Pass-Through

POM core and you can use slimmer fittings if used between cards or in super narrow spaces.

Obviously best idea are simple holes drilled into the wall as cases had for years until they disappeared for some weird reason.

View attachment 317387
"Everything new is well forgotten old"

Also this PCI bracket might be more suitable to be placed into vertical mount slots, instead of the ones that can be used for extension cards, but also for safety reasons.
It won't be a surprise, if this will make an influence on the case manufacturers, to add more vertical slots for this exact reason.

Dammit, I knew I should have patented this idea several years ago, when I created the same thing for a gamr client, using my dremel tool, about 10 mins of my time, a couple of fittings, and a blank metal pci slot cover...for which I only charged him $10 extra....

Oh well :)
Are you upset you can't charge your clients more? :D

Last edited:
Memory 48GB DDR5
Display(s) Asus PG27AQDM
Mouse G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Ducky MIYA Pro
Do you ever have days you have to disconnect the water cool? Move your PC to do some quick work. Do the fans provide enough cooling during those moments?
I can disconnect chassis from the MO-RA 420 Pro,.. the external lines going into chassis have QC connectors.

However with the water lines disconnected,.. I would not start system, as CPU, GPU are both water cooled.

Screenshot 2023-10-15 080558.jpg

IMG_2498.JPG

I can disconnect chassis from the MO-RA 420 Pro,.. the external lines going into chassis have QC connectors.

However with the water lines disconnected,.. I would not start system, as CPU, GPU are both water cooled.
Thank you so much!

Memory 48GB DDR5
Display(s) Asus PG27AQDM
Mouse G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Ducky MIYA Pro
What's aquacomputer control board do you have in there? Would you mind running over what it does and what you use it for? Sorry, very interested in their new RGB controller and want to talk to someone who has used their controllers before...
Aquaero 5,.. You can find a complete functional description here: https://aquacomputer.de/aquaero-5.html

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
When using an item like this, how do you create a buy pass IF you already have an existing loop in the system?

What if you inserted something like this into the system so that one day IF your cooling needed some external help - how do you have access?

As I think about this, you insert something like this into the loop. The current loop is no complete? How do you by pass something like this an keep the loop active?