• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Elgato Unveils its Most Powerful Game Capture Solutions Yet

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Elgato, a brand of CORSAIR, today announced the launch of two new capture cards, 4K X and 4K Pro. Equipped with the latest chipsets and outstanding specifications, these capture cards enable creators to give their audiences the best viewing experiences on all platforms—without compromising their top-tier gaming experience on PS5, Xbox Series X|S, high-end gaming PCs, or handheld consoles like Nintendo Switch. 4K X, a USB card, features up to 4K144 passthrough and capture. 4K Pro, a PCIe card, boasts up to 8K60 HDR10 passthrough and 4K60 HDR10 capture. Setting yet another benchmark in streaming technology, Elgato is again putting gamers at the cutting edge of content creation.

"Over 10 years ago, we revolutionized the process of capturing and sharing high-quality gameplay content for creators worldwide," said Julian Fest, SVP and GM of Elgato. "Today, we're excited to continue removing barriers for creators with the launch of 4K X and 4K Pro. Combining HDMI 2.1 connectivity, vivid HDR10, and flexible VRR passthrough up to 8K60 for the first time in a game capture card, these products will take user-generated content to greater heights."

4K X is a game-changer for content creators who demand simplicity without compromising quality. Roughly the size of a smartphone, this portable capture card not only packs HDMI 2.1 input and output ports but also USB 3.2 Gen 2 connectivity, variable refresh rate (VRR), and true HDR10 support. All these features enable you to play and capture at higher resolutions and frame rates, such as 4K at 120 frames per second, without experiencing screen tearing. Those with native 4K144 monitors or better can passthrough and capture 4K gameplay at 144 frames per second. 4K X is compatible with Windows, Mac, and—for the first time in capture card history—newer iPads with a USB-C port, enabling a truly portable capture setup for sofa gamers and events.

For PC enthusiasts seeking top-of-the-line game capture capabilities, 4K Pro offers the highest specifications, including HDMI 2.1 input and output ports, and true HDR10 support. With up to 8K60 HDR10 passthrough and 4K60 HDR10 capture, plus VRR support, this capture card transforms your high-end single or dual-PC setup into a live streaming powerhouse. For competitive gamers who demand even higher frame rates, 4K Pro supports low latency passthrough up to 240 frames per second in 4K resolution while allowing you to capture your performance in 1080p240 quality. Additionally, Multi App support enables you to send your capture feed to multiple apps at the same time, so you can record raw gameplay while streaming in OBS, Discord, and even Zoom. 4K Pro compatibility is exclusive to Windows machines via a PCIe 2.0 x4 connection.

4K X and 4K Pro work seamlessly with popular broadcast apps, including OBS Studio, Twitch Studio, Streamlabs Desktop, vMix, and more. Elgato also offers its companion app for free download, giving creators powerful yet user-friendly tools for capturing and managing recordings, as well as exporting AAF files for advanced editing in professional software such as Adobe Premier and Vegas Pro. 8K HDMI cables are included with both cards, while 4K X comes with a USB 3.2 C-to-C cable to get you connected right out of the box.

From this day forward, next-generation players can set the new standard for gaming content on Twitch, YouTube, or any other video-sharing platform.

Availability
Elgato 4K X and 4K Pro are available immediately from the Elgato and CORSAIR worldwide network of authorized retailers and distributors.

For more information, visit the product pages of the Game Capture 4K X, and the Game Capture 4K Pro.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Intel I7 6700
Motherboard Msi Z170i Pro Gaming AC
Cooling Be Quiet Shadow Rock LP
Memory Corsair LPX 16GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 980ti Extreme Gaming W3
Storage Samsung Evo 850 500GB + 250GB
Display(s) 3x Dell Ultrasharp U2515H
Case Ncase M1
Power Supply Sharkoon Silentstorm SFX
Mouse Logitech MX Master, Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Corsair K65RGB
Software Win 10
Is capture cards even needed anymore?

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
When you use a capture card, what is doing the actual encoding in the system? Is a chip on the capture card doing it? Is your CPU doing it? Or your GPU?

System Name Core
Processor Intel 12700k @ 5.0/4.0
Motherboard ASRock z690 Steel Legend
Cooling Artic Cooling Freezer 420 AiO
Memory GSkill 64GB 3200 cas 14 b die
Video Card(s) Asus Nvidia RTX 4070 Super OC
Storage Optane 900p x2, SK Hynix p41 Pro
Display(s) ACER 250hz 1080p 25" IPS display x2
Case Phanteks p500a with all Noctua Chromax/Arctic fans
Audio Device(s) Focusrite interface, Presonus Studio Monitors and Subwoofer
Power Supply Seasonic 850w plat with cable mod cables
Mouse Glorious Model O
Keyboard Corsair mech k65
Software Win 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores 3dmark TimeSpy 20240-rtx 3090FE/12700k/Optane 3dmark TimeSpy 21862-rtx 4070Super/12700k/Optane
I use a capture card to record directly from my mirrorless Sony camera. My USB card is limited to 1080p, so I am looking to upgrade.

Is capture cards even needed anymore?
A modern example I know of is dual-rig stream setups. The capture and encoding is done on a separate pc so a) it doesn't load down the main rig and impact gameplay, and b) even if the main rig goes down the stream still stays live.
When you use a capture card, what is doing the actual encoding in the system? Is a chip on the capture card doing it? Is your CPU doing it? Or your GPU?
None of these do encoding, these are raw capture. Add another 0 or 00 to the pricetag if you want encoding.

GPU is the common choice, as I understand it (not a streamer myself) nvenc is the gold standard.

The new 4k Pro pcie card says it is pcie 2.0 x4. I'm guessing we can't put this in a pcie 3.0 or 4.0 x1 slot and get enough bandwidth? Kinda sucks that this is such an old pci version

The new 4k Pro pcie card says it is pcie 2.0 x4. I'm guessing we can't put this in a pcie 3.0 or 4.0 x1 slot and get enough bandwidth? Kinda sucks that this is such an old pci version
It seems that it also does not allow capturing or transmitting in 4k 60k HDR, as happened with the Avermedia 575

ps/

Well, maybe

TECH SPECS​

Download Quick Start Guide

INPUT​

HDMI (unencrypted)

OUTPUT​

HDMI (lag-free passthrough)

RECORDING RESOLUTIONS​

up to 4K60

View the full list of supported resolutions here

PASSTHROUGH RESOLUTIONS​

up to 8K60

HDR10​

Passthrough & recording

System Name Lightbringer
Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Enermax Liqmax Iii 360mm AIO
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB (8GBx4) 3200Mhz CL 14
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 5700XT Nitro+
Storage Hp EX950 2TB NVMe M.2, HP EX950 1TB NVMe M.2, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB
Display(s) LG 34BK95U-W 34" 5120 x 2160
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic (White)
Power Supply BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850w Gold Rated PSU
Mouse Glorious Model O (Matte White)
Keyboard Royal Kludge RK71
Software Windows 10
None of these do encoding, these are raw capture. Add another 0 or 00 to the pricetag if you want encoding.

GPU is the common choice, as I understand it (not a streamer myself) nvenc is the gold standard.
So BOTH PCIe capture cards AND USB capture cards are essentially just I/O ports that feed the PC uncompressed data (just like a webcam would) and its up to the computer to figure out what to do with it?

Is that also true for those cheap USB capture cards? I was under the impression that they encode/compress the data, in the ad for the one in the picture it says "The process of video and audio is done by the dongle and will not occupy the CPU"