• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Elon Musk to Show Working Neuralink Device This Friday

This is just the logical outcome of a long process that began when the first seed was sown 10,000 years ago... This (including AI) is the inevitable outcome of that first step and all motivated by the same desire, namely the obsession to dominate nature.

The implications of this are much more profound and deeper than most people understand. For example, this is headed toward nanotechnology in the biomechanical medical field and let's just imagine when it's possible to repair the brain with nanotechnology and actually replace damaged parts of it with that same technology.... Now let's say you are involved in a car accident with severe head trauma and the result is that 51%, or more of your brain is repaired with that nanotechnology... If more than half of your brain is synthetic, are you still thr same person? Can you still even be considered a person? When you dream, would it be you or the nanotechnology powered by general AI dreaming?

This may sound crazy, but I'm 36 and I strongly believe that in my lifetime, we will witness such things as the first Supreme Court case deciding what it actually means to be human and what can still be considered human (predicated upon examples like I offered above). While some enthusiastically welcome the advent of "transhumanism", I prefer to understand it as the death of our humanity... The death of nature, and on levels deeper than physical reality.

Technology isn't "neutral", as some would contend, with the only determining factor being how it is used, rather every piece of technology has an inherent and embedded set of values that fundamentally alter not only the individuals relationship to that technology, but to the greater reality they exist in as well. Our existence is already inundated with vast and very real dependencies on technology which has also sacrificed our own personal autonomy to an almost priestly class of engineers and technicians we now utterly depend on to create and maintain that technology as our daily existence now relies on both. Because the vast majority of individual's skill sets are so specialized to a singular purpose, almost entirely dictated by their line of work or profession, they cannot learn and implement the many differing skills required just to exist in our technological world without needing the additional skills of technicians. Most cannot fix their own cars, so they rely on mechanics, most cannot fix their own computer (maybe not here though) so they rely on a technician... So what happens when your own body becomes one of those technologies and then you depend on a technician for your own direct survival in the most literal sense? What happens when your brain functions are disturbed or attacked and under threat from the inevitable malware that will evolve to attack these nano sized biotechnologies and now your very existence isn't just dependent on Healthcare and doctors, but biotechnologies and technicians as well? What happens when an authoritarian government (and they're seemingly all moving in such a direction) decides to more or less hold people hostage for their "good behavior" under threat of withholding access to those technicians or new firmware for that biotechnology to mitigate the ever increasing threats of malware? What happens when the state or even your employer demands and requires full access to your biotechnologies for "security purposes" and can basically access your thoughts or memories? How would the ability of law enforcement to remotely scan the biotechnology in your brain effect such things as the fourth amendment (search and seizure) and the fifth amendment (right to not self incriminate/remain silent)?

I realize it may seem like I'm getting ahead of myself, but wouldn't it be infinitely wiser to confront these issues now rather than when they're already manifested? The whole concept of AI/Skynet is the largest and most obvious threat from advancing technological progress, but even if we can guarantee that we avert or neutralize such a threat, there still exists an infinite plethora of individual issues created that when taken as a whole, have the same ability to challenge and threaten the very understanding of the foundations of our existence and our relationship to that existence.

"... somehow the project of a humanized technology has proven groundless and result-free; only technified humanity has come to pass. Technology is the embodiment of the social order it accompanies, and in its planetary advance transfers the fundamental ethos and values behind that technology. It never exists in a vacuum and is never value-neutral." - from "Twilight of the Machines" by John Zerzan

That's a really negative view and the first part makes almost no sense.

"Now let's say you are involved in a car accident with severe head trauma and the result is that 51%, or more of your brain is repaired with that nanotechnology... If more than half of your brain is synthetic, are you still thr same person? Can you still even be considered a person? When you dream, would it be you or the nanotechnology powered by general AI dreaming?

This may sound crazy, but I'm 36 and I strongly believe that in my lifetime, we will witness such things as the first Supreme Court case deciding what it actually means to be human and what can still be considered human (predicated upon examples like I offered above). While some enthusiastically welcome the advent of "transhumanism", I prefer to understand it as the death of our humanity... The death of nature, and on levels deeper than physical reality."

Ok, so if you're in a car accident and lose half of your brain, wouldn't you be faced with the decision to either die on the spot or become a cyborg? In that case, your survival instinct wants you to stay alive, even if it means carrying a "prosthetic brain". Isn't much different than what we do today with robotic prosthetic limbs, just a couple of levels more complex.

And the part about not being human, we already know how these things go. Same as with gays and transsexuals, anything "different" will be considered bad at first but then be accepted and humanity will be better for it. The only problem can arise when people with this kind of "prosthesis" start becoming more able than 100% healthy people. It could become a huge advantage to have one of these cyborg brains. I think this is kind of where Neuralink is going. Musk doesn't want to just heal people with brain disabilities and traumas, he wants to give everybody the same advantage who would want it. Either way, it's clear that many people will start wanting one when more and more people start using it because of certain benefits.

Will probably happen similar to when people started switching to smart phones, I remember people (me included) were very skeptical at first and hung on to their old phones way too long but at some point you look around and see everybody is using this new technology and enjoying it, so you go out and buy one for yourself. Now 99,9% of people have smart phone, even the skeptical people from before (again, like myself).

So it's not going to be a sudden thing where everybody suddenly has one. Gradually, people will start evaluating pros and cons and testing it out. I think only if the pros actually overweigh the cons will this be something you are accepted to have. Only if this brings us further in humanity, will society get behind this technology. Because we're still human and we still decide by human standards usually. Maybe we even have to actually become more like machines to be more human, or more like the ideal we hold in our minds of being human. Because let me tell you, right now, it's not really working. Maybe we need to leave the "human condition" behind at some point to be more like what we actually see ourselves as.

Last edited:
No, thanks. As much as i like technology, i like it separated from human beings. As the great Bill Burr said it, technology should have stopped at around 2010 level :)

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Crying all day about how dangerous are all the AI projects from other companies and then wants to shows us that... hmmm gg Elon.
The real kicker is most AI branded things have little to nothing to do with AI. Best case scenario, the product is using a neural network that was trained using AI, but having no on-board AI whatsoever. Worst case scenario, the code uses if...then...else to make decisions. I have yet to see an AI-branded product actually learn anything.

System Name Yin/Yang
Processor Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard msi mag x570 tomahawk
Cooling CoolerMaster ML240V2 / asiahorse fs9002 120mm fans
Memory 2 x 16gb g.skill trident z neo 3600
Video Card(s) msi gaming X 2070 super 8gb
Storage 1tb sabrent rocket nvme / 1tb samsung evo 860 sata ssd / 3tb Toshiba hdd
Display(s) lg ultragear 2560x1440 144hz 1ms 27"ips
Case nzxt h510i
Audio Device(s) logitech g635 / creative sound blaster
Power Supply evga supernova 750ga 80 plus gold
Mouse logitech g402 hyperion fury
Keyboard corsair k55
So uhhhh, the potential to fix blindless and paralysis amongst thousands of other things within the brain is what elon was claiming not too long ago...I am skeptical but it is a very exciting thought to entertain

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
I'm all in if this can be used for treatment of Alzheimer of Parkinson and not to feed you ads.

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
System Name Yin/Yang
Processor Ryzen 7 3700x
Storage 1tb sabrent rocket nvme / 1tb samsung evo 860 sata ssd / 3tb Toshiba hdd
Case nzxt h510i
Keyboard corsair k55
^agreed I'm sure this will be something only the richest could afford to even think about, but even if it somehow only helps a select small amount of people with brain injuries or disabilities who would have otherwise had 0 options...that really would be something incredible.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs, 24TB Enterprise drives
Display(s) 55" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
People with perfect recall often have very troubled relationships due to their ability to remember exactly what happened without the ability to temper thoughts against their own immaturity at the time.

They will need more than perfect memory to make a better human, and I forsee a lot of failure while they try.

System Name Yin/Yang
Processor Ryzen 7 3700x
Case nzxt h510i
Keyboard corsair k55
I don't even think making the "perfect human" is on anyone's agenda that is just fantasy sci fi stigma b.s that would naturally get attracted to things like this. In reality it's just a tool...no different than the tool a surgeon would use to cut you open...is there a chance for failure? Sure, one would assume so...but should fear of failure necessarily be a reason not to try and innovate? I know I wouldn't be the first one to put my name on the list but somewhere, somebody will inevitably find themself in a situation where maybe it's worth it

Reactions: bug
System Name Alucard
Processor M2 Pro 14"
Motherboard Apple thingy all together
Cooling no Need
Memory 32 Shared Memory
Video Card(s) 30 units
Storage 1 TB
Display(s) Acer 2k 170Hz, Benq 4k HDR
Mouse Logictech M3
Keyboard Logictech M3
Software MacOs / Ubuntu
i m waiting when he is going to announce " I m Iron Man " and built the suit .

People with perfect recall often have very troubled relationships due to their ability to remember exactly what happened without the ability to temper thoughts against their own immaturity at the time.

They will need more than perfect memory to make a better human, and I forsee a lot of failure while they try.
How about an AI powered judgement assistant that runs on those memories and evaluates which ones you should reevaluate?

I don't believe all people with such naturally good memories have troubled relationships. I think people like that only have good memory for certain negative moments in their relationships, which this technology could actually help to balance out by also helping you to remember more of the good parts as well.

Actually, I admit I'm one of those people. I can remember every moment someone else f'd up in detail but I can barely remember the nice situations or words that have been exchanged. I could use that kind of reminder from time to time. As Musk says, you could even relive the best situations and memories in your life like you're really there again with this technology. That could actually be amazing for people just to not forget these things and be more grounded in reality. It's the things that we remember, voluntarily or not, that form our world view. Many times it's not what you choose to remember but what you are conditioned to remember, and that is often negative for multiple reasons (neglect and abuse as a child comes to mind that leads to only bad memories and focusing on the bad side of things). So having the choice to remember more good memories even thought you would forget them without help, sounds really cool to me.

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
^agreed I'm sure this will be something only the richest could afford to even think about, but even if it somehow only helps a select small amount of people with brain injuries or disabilities who would have otherwise had 0 options...that really would be something incredible.
Who wants to volunteer to try the AliExpress version when they appear? ;)

System Name ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MEG X670E Ace
Cooling EK Nucleus CR360
Memory 64GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000Mhz CL30 1.4v
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090 ROG Strix OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB \ Kingston KC3000 2TB
Display(s) LG GQ950-B 4K 144hz 32"
Case Lian Li Lancool 216
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Gen2 \ SS Arctis Nova Pro \ DT 770 Pro
Power Supply MSI A1000G 1000W ATX 3.0
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Haste 2
Keyboard NuPhy Filed75
Software Windows 11 Pro
Cyberpunk 2020

System Name Yin/Yang
Processor Ryzen 7 3700x
Case nzxt h510i
Keyboard corsair k55
sorry to post an external link but i stumbled across this video and i thought it was interesting and worth sharing as well as on-topic.

the joe rogan podcast was interesting but this guy did a much better job of asking pertinent questions and actually extracting some thought provoking information from elon rather than lighting up a joint and just joking around the whole time.:pimp:

System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Elon isn't the first to try this, DARPA has been on this too in conjunction with Melbourne University, it also reminds me of the movie Upgrade, which I found to be quite good.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
It's important to keep in mind Elon did state the first major goal of neuralink will be medical field related. There is massive money/investment in that kind of stuff, even if he can only help reduce symptoms of certain diseases this will probably be financially very successful. It's a smart move. and spacex will be supported financially from its subsidiary - Starlink internet subs.

Boring company supported by governments in need of fixing gridlock

Gigafactories getting massive funding from successful stunts like when Australia needed backup power fast and Elon delivered not only fast but with the highest quality in the world.

System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Gigafactories getting massive funding from successful stunts like when Australia needed backup power fast and Elon delivered not only fast but with the highest quality in the world.
Hmm, I don't recall that happening, it's not like we don't have an abundance of power suppliers or sources already.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I want that device from "Horizon ZD" which gets powered by the human body only.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D -30 uv
Motherboard AsRock Steel Legend B650
Cooling MSI C360 AIO
Memory 32gb 6000 CL 30-36-36-76
Video Card(s) MERC310 7900 XT -60 uv
Display(s) NZXT Canvas IPS 1440p 165hz 27"
Case NZXT H710 (Red/Black)
Audio Device(s) HD58X, Asgard 2, Modi 3
Power Supply Corsair RM850W
Hmm, I don't recall that happening, it's not like we don't have an abundance of power suppliers or sources already.

No I meant, such acts generate trust in a organization, further increasing contracts/sales, etc

Batteries smooth out power flows which can threaten network stability when they become volatile. The Tesla battery can respond to these frequency events much more quickly than coal or gas-fired generators, which have traditionally performed the role in Australia, and at a much lower cost, said Garth Heron, Neoen’s head of development in Australia.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
So is that Neura-link, or Neural-ink?
Musk needs to hire a new guy in charge of spelling.
Advancements in the tattooing technology? Where do I sign up?
Fuck wires in the brain.

System Name Holiday Season Budget Computer (HSBC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6500 XT 4 GB
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 2.1 speakers, AKG Y50 headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Has anyone watched the film "Upgrade"? Sounds awfully similar.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Have you seen Nebula? She turned out just fine in the end, so no worries :p

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
No, thanks. As much as i like technology, i like it separated from human beings. As the great Bill Burr said it, technology should have stopped at around 2010 level :)

I don't see any reason to stop it at 2010. I do generally draw the line at my brain as of now, though. It'd be a hard sell to convince me otherwise.

Yep. Hollywood is not a science reference, but at the same time some of it's warnings do strike home.

I'm all in if this can be used for treatment of Alzheimer of Parkinson and not to feed you ads.

That I agree with.

System Name Black Box
Audio Device(s) No need.
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I see you didn't read the thread, as I mentioned that film earlier already.