• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ESRB Updates Game Ratings to Include Loot Box Warnings

The Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) is an American regulatory organization that assigns age and content ratings to consumer video games. Today the ESRB announced a new label to indicate games that include in-game purchases of loot-boxes or similar randomized gambling items. This update will compliment the existing In-Game Purchases notice which applies to games with non-randomized purchasable items such as DLC etc.

In April 2018 the ESRB began assigning Interactive Elements to physical video games with the In-Game Purchases and Users Interact notices. The In-Game Purchases Interactive Element informs parents and other consumers of when a game offers the ability to purchase additional items without leaving the game. To provide even greater transparency about the nature of in-game items available for purchase the ESRB will now begin assigning a new Interactive Element: In-Game Purchases (Includes Random Items).

What Does This New Notice Mean?

This new Interactive Element, In-Game Purchases (Includes Random Items), will be assigned to any game that contains in-game offers to purchase digital goods or premiums with real world currency (or with virtual coins or other forms of in-game currency that can be purchased with real world currency) for which the player doesn't know prior to purchase the specific digital goods or premiums they will be receiving (e.g., loot boxes, item packs, mystery awards).

In-Game Purchases (Includes Random Items) will be assigned to all games that include purchases with any randomized elements, including loot boxes, gacha games, item or card packs, prize wheels, treasure chests, and more. Games that have the In-Game Purchases (Includes Random Items) notice may also include other non-randomized paid elements.

Consumers can make more informed decisions when purchasing or downloading a game, instead of finding out after the fact.

The original In-Game Purchases notice will still be assigned to games that offer any other type of purchase, including additional levels, cosmetic items, DLC, expansions, etc. However, going forward it will not be assigned to games with "loot boxes" or similar mechanics to ensure consumers clearly understand when the game offers purchases with randomized elements.

Why Now?

According to research, parents are far more concerned about their child's ability to spend real money in games than the fact that those in-game purchases may be randomized. This data helped to inform the introduction of the In-Game Purchases Interactive Element. That being said, since adding the In-Game Purchases notice to ratings assigned to physical games many game consumers and enthusiasts (not necessarily parents) have reached out to us asking the ESRB to include additional information to identify games that include randomized purchases. The In-Game Purchases (Includes Random Items) Interactive Element was developed in response to those requests. By including more specificity about the randomized nature of the in-game purchases, consumers can make more informed decisions when purchasing or downloading a game, instead of finding out after the fact.

We want to ensure that the new label covers all transactions with randomized elements.

Why Not Say "Loot Boxes"?

"Loot box" is a term that doesn't encompass all types of randomized in-game purchase mechanics. We want to ensure that the new label covers all transactions with randomized elements. In-Game Purchases (Includes Random Items) accounts for loot boxes and all similar mechanics that offer random items in exchange for real-world currency or in-game currency that can be purchased with real money.

Moreover, we want to avoid confusing consumers who may not be familiar with what a loot box is. Recent research shows that less than a third of parents have both heard of a loot box and know what it is. "Loot box" is a widely understood phrase in and around the video game industry and among dedicated gamers, but most people less familiar with games do not understand it. While this new label is primarily in response to feedback from game enthusiasts, it is still essential that all consumers, especially parents, have a clear understanding of the rating information we provide.

Of course, we will continue to educate parents on all forms of in-game purchases, parental controls, and ESRB-assigned age and content ratings.

Looking to the Future

As always, we will continue to monitor how video games evolve and innovate to ensure that we provide parents and other consumers with the information they need to make informed decisions about which games and apps are appropriate for their family. Additionally, ESRB will continue to update ParentalTools.org so parents have access to parental control guides for all major video game devices.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
Good, these games will now warn me not to buy them.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Good, these games will now warn me not to buy them.
I hope that's true for most people. If that notification directly correlates with poor sales, they'll stop making games that require it. The power is now in the consumer's hands, where it belongs.

Microtransactions being in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided caught me by surprise.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
lol, when was the last time you even paused to read the ESRB warning and why it gets the rating it does?

I know as a kid, whenever I'd see M or MA13 or anything like that, I knew the game would be good because it would likely be violent or full of action. I never read the smaller print as to why.

System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
lol, when was the last time you even paused to read the ESRB warning and why it gets the rating it does?

I know as a kid, whenever I'd see M or MA13 or anything like that, I knew the game would be good because it would likely be violent or full of action. I never read the smaller print as to why.
When I was a kid, I had to read the fine print. My parents wanted to know why the game was rated what it was before they'd let me play it.

I remember when I was really young, my parents would let me play certain T-rated games after they muted the dialogue.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
When I was a kid, I had to read the fine print. My parents wanted to know why the game was rated what it was before they'd let me play it.

I remember when I was really young, my parents would let me play certain T-rated games after they muted the dialogue.

Ouch. I was lucky, my parents let me play Doom and Wolfenstein 3D even though I was young.

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Did not have the balls to just write - Gambling - instead... But that's a given.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I hope that's true for most people. If that notification directly correlates with poor sales, they'll stop making games that require it. The power is now in the consumer's hands, where it belongs.

Is it really?

I think this label is a justification and setting the norm rather than a warning. The ESRB isn't helping us here at all. It reeks like that HDR spec that VESA conjured up. 'Here's a label, now you can sell turds legally'

What will really happen is that this label will appear so readily on most products that we won't even notice its there. Does anyone really look at age classifications? Give me a break.

This is not how you protect consumers and above all, children.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
It's just another way for the ESRB to say they did their part to tackle legalised gambling while doing absolutely nothing at all.

Rather than crack down on it. They pushed the responsibility back to the parents who might be buying the game for their kids or the people who are buying it for themselves. It doesn't really say nothing.

But it's open knowledge that the ESRB is a corrupt organisation chaired by people from some of the big publishers from within the industry.

The way they rate games is also a farce. Most of the time they'll either save time and rate a game based on its trailer and not play the game at all or not have an 'industry outsider' come and play the game for 1hr before rating it, so they don't even play the entire game.

And i say 'industry outsider' because we all know they get their home boys in. Their group of yes men and women to just greenlight everything because that's usually how getting paid off works.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64

There are microtransactions in Mankind Divided? I purchased the game some time back when it was real cheap in a sale from HumbleBundle or maybe Fanatic, but I only put about an hour into that game - just didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Maybe that's why I didn't notice them since I haven't really played the game.

Only game I can think of that I spent cash on microtransactions was when Aion went from subscription to F2P. I was still enjoying the game at the time and was stoked I didn't have to pay to play anymore. But, after a few months and things started to progress, treasure boxes were being found in game and the only way to open some was with keys purchased from the game store using NCSoft's currency. I figured I hadn't paid a subscription for 3-4 months (was $12.95 a month I think), what's $20? Spent $20, got a few keys, didn't find anything really useful in the treasure boxes. I haven't wasted any money on a microtransaction since. I think I might still have about $5 worth of NCoins tied to my account.....

Hopefull this ESRB change will impact the stupidity of microtransactions.