• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EVGA's Gargantuan SuperNova 2200W P2 Can Jumpstart Your Pickup Truck

System Name Hotbox
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, 110/95/110, PBO +150Mhz, CO -7,-7,-20(x6),
Motherboard ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 ITX/ax
Cooling LOBO + Laing DDC 1T Plus PWM + Corsair XR5 280mm + 2x Arctic P14
Memory 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200c14 @3800c15
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate, UC@2250MHz max @~200W
Storage 2TB Adata SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell U2711 main, AOC 24P2C secondary
Case SSUPD Meshlicious
Audio Device(s) Optoma Nuforce μDAC 3
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Keychron K3/Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M w/DSA profile caps
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm talking about EPS for the motherboard, NOT GPU. There's a difference. Lots of workstation motherboards, especially 2P motherboards, have either 1x8pin EPS and 1x4pin EPS or 2x8pin EPS. These are for MOTHERBOARD power for the CPU(s). NOT GPUs. Every single SFX and SFX-L PSU out there that I know of only has ONE 8-pin EPS connector. I don't want huge PSU's any more. It's a waste of space in every single way, especially in a rack chassis. We care so much about progress in CPU & GPU design, yet PSU designs are slow in progress.

While I agree on the space savings/form factor argument, saying PSU designs are slow in progress is a half truth at best. Efficiency, voltage regulation, ripple/noise, power density and a whole host of other metrics have improved dramatically in the last decade. Is progress slower than for example CPUs? Of course, but comparing "progress" across radically different components like this can't be done that easily. Heck, high power SFX designs are possible exactly because of the improvements achieved in layer years.

As for use in a rack chassis, why not use server grade 1U/2U PSUs? Sure, they're more expensive, but far more compact again, and usually the best quality you can find. Of course they're also noisy as all hell, but that comes with the territory.

94 and 96% effieiceny have been in the enterprise server space for much longer. It takes forever for changes to happen in the consumer space. Not because of cost or factors like that but because so many people are often like "we've always done it this way and it works, why bother?". I mean, why are GPU PCI slots still raw aluminum/grey when almost every single PC case now is black in the back? Most folks will say..."uh who cares?" and that's exactly the point. PC cases have changed. They're no longer raw, unpainted in the back, at least the majority of gamer & enthusiast cases we see on TechPowerUp, back like in the early and mid 2000s. But something basic and simple like the piece of metal on the GPU is still put on like we're in early 2000s because so few bother to care enough. Everyone would rather argue about the 999999th iteration of a GPU. The small details that don't effect their gaming time doesn't matter. It has taken a LOOOONG time for things to change and become the new normal, the new "why didn't we do this before"? "I thought it was always like this"? This is just a minor thing I used as an example but there's so many similar things all around. Very few people are going to argue about which screw type is best and are going to just give a shit about if they have a tool in the first place to screw in the screw.

And in regards to server grade PSUs, they're loud as FUCK. The SFF Network spends a lot of time talking about this and trying to convince server PSU makes to make better 1U PSUs. Plus, they're often missing enough connectors. And they're almost ALWAYS non-modular. And there you are again saying well, you already have some option, so stop asking for other options and that's my damn point. And they're NOT often the best quality you can find for a typical would pay for the same level of ATX PSU, even Titanium rated, they're usually GOOD ENOUGH for specific scenario and are missing often some aspects that would be better for whitebox builders. I spend a lot of time looking at options.

Someone is always trying to force you into some kind of "do it this way because it's always been done that way". I mean, look how often this MEME gets posted on hardware threads: