• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

F.E.A.R. 2: best of the series?

System Name DaBeast! DaBeast2!
Processor AMD AM4 Ryzen 9 5900X 12C24T/AMD AM4 RYZEN 9 3900X 12C/24T
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme/Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 360/Thermalright PA 120 SE
Memory 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 3600C16/2x 16GB Patriot Elite II DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX 24GB/Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT 16GB
Storage 500GB Crucial P3 Plus NVMe PCIe 4x4 + 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe PCIe 4x4 + TG Cardea Zero Z NVMe PCIe 4x4
Display(s) Samsung LC49HG90DMEX 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2/Acer XR341CK 75Hz 21:9 Freesync
Case CoolerMaster H500M/SOLDAM XR-1
Audio Device(s) iFi Micro iDSD BL + Philips Fidelio B97/FostexHP-A4 + LG SP8YA
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Platinum/Enermax MAXREVO 1500
Mouse Logitech G703/Logitech G603 WL
Keyboard Logitech G613/Keychron K2
Software Win11 Pro/Win11 Pro
What about prototype 1?
sorry dude, I don't think I'd gotten that game...

Edit - I know it's OT, but I'd love to see Giants: Citizen Kabuto given the Remake treatment too!

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
sorry dude, I don't think I'd gotten that game...

Edit - I know it's OT, but I'd love to see Giants: Citizen Kabuto given the Remake treatment too!

Giants: Citizen Kabuto - I really liked that game when it came out. Not sure it needs to be remade, but it was entertaining to play back then.

Got myself an unopened copy of that game. It was one of the games I had years ago that my younger brother found (while I was away my freshman year of college) and obliterated the box/manual/disc because he wanted to play it (he trashed dozens of of my games this way). I came across an unopened copy about 10-12 years ago and picked it up. Shortly after I found GoG had it as a free game so I got a digital copy of it on GoG.

As for FEAR 2, I never got around to playing it, at least not that I can recall. I got the game, along with all the other FEAR games (including 3) from a bundle off Fanatical 5 or 6 years ago because I wanted to replay FEAR and the expansions and I was too lazy to dig out my physical copies. Maybe I should give it a play sometime.

FEAR 3 I remember trying the demo and the one thing that really irked me about it was all the items you could pick up were highlighted and they flashed....something straight out of console gaming at the time. FEAR was originally for the PC and was ported over to consoles a couple year later. You can tell that after that the games started to be designed more and more for the console first and PC as an after thought and you could feel it in FEAR 3 (just from the demo). I straight up refuse to play FEAR 3 just because the demo left such a sour taste in my mouth.

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
I think FEAR 1 + Extraction Point + Perseus Mandate was better than FEAR 2 but FEAR 2 was an excellent game. I really liked that time period in action/sci fi games, so many good examples: Doom 3/RoE, AvP1/2, Halo CE, Farcry, Crysis, Riddick Butcher Bay/Athena, Quake 4, Prey (original), Tribes2, just to name a few.

System Name Lenovo 17IMH05H
Processor Core i7 10750H
Video Card(s) GTX 1660 Ti
Audio Device(s) SSL2
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Benchmark Scores i've got a shitload of them in 15 years of TPU membership
A couple of people won video cards, but I got a F.E.A.R. jacket and autographed copy of the game, signed by the whole dev team.
What? Man, you're one lucky sob Frag! Now i surely envy that shit! Do you have that jacket still? Can you post a photo of it?

What video cards were given as prize for that original competition? Was it the year 2006?

Processor Core i7 10750H
Audio Device(s) SSL2
This was a nice movie reference/easter egg. Did someone catch that?

Attachments

• FEAR 2 TPS report.jpg
    FEAR 2 TPS report.jpg
    919.5 KB · Views: 27
System Name Sleepy Painter
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus TuF Gaming X570-PLUS/WIFI
Cooling FSP Windale 6 - Passive
Memory 2x16GB F4-3600C16-16GVKC @ 16-19-21-36-58-1T
Video Card(s) MSI RX580 8GB
Storage 2x Samsung PM963 960GB nVME RAID0, Crucial BX500 1TB SATA, WD Blue 3D 2TB SATA
Display(s) Microboard 32" Curved 1080P 144hz VA w/ Freesync
Case NZXT Gamma Classic Black
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Rosewill 1KW on 240V@60hz
Mouse Logitech MX518 Legend
Keyboard Red Dragon K552
Software Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC 1809 17763.1757
This was a nice movie reference/easter egg. Did someone catch that?
Yes. I caught that 1st time I played.
IIRC, it'd been less than a year after I first saw Office Space.

(Also, I've seen the "TPS Report" easteregg in many games, since. Definitely one of those Cult flicks well-engrained into nerd/geek/gamer 'culture'.)

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
What? Man, you're one lucky sob Frag! Now i surely envy that shit! Do you have that jacket still? Can you post a photo of it?

What video cards were given as prize for that original competition? Was it the year 2006?

This is a full black jacket btw. It's just that the phone cam must have picked up the green tones in my couch. The material of the jacket has been kept in mint condition so still has a bit of a reflective sheen. Oddly the couch gives it a kind of Matrix vibe though. :D It's a pretty good quality jacket with a nice sweat wicking liner.

I think the GPUs they gave away were 6600 GTs. They were mid tier Nvidia at the time, and yeah I'm pretty sure it was 2006. The game autographed by the dev team is actually my more valued prize! I thought it was cool that they care enough about their fans to take time to do that.

Now that I recall they also gave out Armacham T-Shirts too as part of this prize pack, but they were X Large, so too big for me. I don't have that anymore. The Jacket is Large though and fits fine.

Resized.jpg

F.E.A.R. Game Prize.jpg

Last edited:
Processor Core i7 10750H
Audio Device(s) SSL2
but I've only uploaded one to YT, a sub level of Interval 03 Escalation called Bad Water.
A yes, that was such an awesome movie Frag! I have watched it 10 years ago and now again. Impressive how you have managed to make this video in just "on go"!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel like there is no need to create a separate FEAR 1 discussion or necro some old thread. I think this thread has gotten pretty big attention in "general FEAR terms" and we have discussed truly the arguments for which the original game from 2005 with it's first expansion from 2006 are the best overall.

On my recent FEAR series replays, for whatever reason i felt like Perseus Mandate was under-appreciated... While i agree that it is the weakest game in the series (still better than FEAR 3 though), it had some great atmospheric levels and i left a record of my last walkthrough for the sake of showing exactly that:

It's a simple walkthrough of level 9 showcasing the stronger points of horror elements in the game. This video is only for those who have not played this expansion, so you do not get brain fed by people who with bias say that Perseus Mandate sucked, and does not have anything good in it - that is BS. Just the last level of Perseus Mandate was the most challenging level in the original FEAR games series - to finish it on hard difficulty without dying once felt a like a real struggle, a challenge that the previous original games did not provide. Just for that this expansion did not suck in my book!

When it comes to Trepang2 - this game should have been a multiplayer release only. It's "single player" absolutely lacks everything that made FEAR/FEAR 2 great and does not even feel like one, more like random arenas filled with bots... Heck, i like original FEAR graphics more that Trepang2 graphics. Trepang2 is nowhere a spiritual successor of FEAR!

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
A yes, that was such an awesome movie Frag! I have watched it 10 years ago and now again. Impressive how you have managed to make this video in just "on go"!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel like there is no need to create a separate FEAR 1 discussion or necro some old thread. I think this thread has gotten pretty big attention in "general FEAR terms" and we have discussed truly the arguments for which the original game from 2005 with it's first expansion from 2006 are the best overall.

On my recent FEAR series replays, for whatever reason i felt like Perseus Mandate was under-appreciated... While i agree that it is the weakest game in the series (still better than FEAR 3 though), it had some great atmospheric levels and i left a record of my last walkthrough for the sake of showing exactly that:

It's a simple walkthrough of level 9 showcasing the stronger points of horror elements in the game. This video is only for those who have not played this expansion, so you do not get brain fed by people who with bias say that Perseus Mandate sucked, and does not have anything good in it - that is BS. Just the last level of Perseus Mandate was the most challenging level in the original FEAR games series - to finish it on hard difficulty without dying once felt a like a real struggle, a challenge that the previous original games did not provide. Just for that this expansion did not suck in my book!

When it comes to Trepang2 - this game should have been a multiplayer release only. It's "single player" absolutely lacks everything that made FEAR/FEAR 2 great and does not even feel like one, more like random arenas filled with bots... Heck, i like original FEAR graphics more that Trepang2 graphics. Trepang2 is nowhere a spiritual successor of FEAR!
Thanks, sadly that is an old video that I did in very low res due to my spec and capture tool at the time.

Lately I've been playing Alone in the Dark 2024. It doesn't have the same horror vibe as F.E.A.R., and the combat is a bit awkward. It has some good suspense though and the puzzles can be challenging. It's also pretty spooky in places.

Last edited:
System Name Computer
Processor Intel 12700K
Motherboard Asus Prime Z690-A
Cooling Twin radiator open loop
Memory Corsair Dominator 32GB DDR5
Video Card(s) eVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 2 TB
Display(s) Asus PG348Q and two Asus VN279Q monitors
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GSX 1000 with Sennheiser HD599 SE
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200P
Mouse Corsair Scimitar Elite RGB Wireless
Keyboard Keychron Q3 Max
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 10 Pro
The first game was the best in the series as well as the expansion Extraction Point; Perseus Mandate was good, but not as good as the first game/expansion (I wasn't a fan of them stuffing in reflex time for the non-Pointman character). The story, horror element, and enemy AI was some of the best I have seen in an FPS, even to this day. Fear 2 improved on the environmental repetitiveness, but I just didn't care for the combat or writing as much. Fear 3 just felt weak in comparison and too great a departure from the first two. The separation of that one felt as jarring as the jump from Crysis to Crysis 2.

D

Deleted member 239770

F.E.A.R is not a bad game.
It just became too easy for me on the first try.

The fights are very predictable and they offer no real challenge, though I do admit the AI is better than average for a SP FPS making some newer games look archaic.

I have too much mechanical / intellect for it where my mind was shaped by CS and playing other FPS shooters against actual skilled opponents.

The story is lame in F.E.A.R and the scary shocks with the little girl become predictable and boring, so the only last resort is the games mechanics which frankly are excellent, but not at all challenging enough for me.

5/10.

-Modern perspective, though I have been gaming since 1995 (5 years old).

F.E.A.R 2 not played but own, 3rd the same story...