• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Failed monitors

System Name VENTURI
Processor 2x AMD 7773x Epyc (128/256 cores)
Motherboard Gigabyte MZ72-HB0 Dual socket motherboard
Cooling Air, noctua, heatsinks, silent/low noise
Memory 1.TB 2 LRDIMM ECC REG
Video Card(s) 2x 4090 FE RTX
Storage Raid 0 Micron 9300 Max (15.4TB each / 77TB array - overprovisioned to 64TB) & 8TB OS nvme
Display(s) Asus ProArt PAU32UCG-K
Case TT miniITX P1 (SFF)
Audio Device(s) harmon Kardon speakers / apple
Power Supply 1600 AXi digital (silent)
Mouse Mad Catz pro X
Keyboard KeyChron Q6 Pro
Software MS 2022 Data Center Server, Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Gravity mark 136,708 (high score)
I am not impressed with what I have gone through.....

Monitors I am using, have used
Asus PA32UCG, PA32UCX, PG32UQX
Porsche Design PD32M.

Results
*PA32UCG - best of the 4, but still has issues. HDMI 2.1 may cause no boot screen/bios, mostly only works after windows is booted. Any firmware above 103m cause huge blooming issues.
Firmware 103, seems the best and makes the monitor worthwhile. Displayport 1.4 DSC works, however, in windows there is a 1-3 second blank / black screen when switching between 2d and 3d.
Monitor can do 120hz, freesynch and 10 bit colour. It can do 144hz on dp 1.4 and hdmi 2.1 if you go to 8 bit color. I was hoping for a 103 firmware visually capable update that also enabled 10 bit HDMI 2.1 at 144 because there isn't a limitation in the HDMI 2.1 standard. Brighter and more accurate than any monitor out there with best image quality. This is the one I use, this is the best, with a large grain of salt.

PA32UCX - similar to PA32UCG except only 60hz, firmware 106 is the best on this monitor. No HDMI 2.1, and no DP 1.4 (only DP 1.2). Great picture like the PA32UCG. Kept it for wife's PC (she is into photography). If you like 60hz, this is a better monitor.

PG32UQX, a gaming monitor.120hz, 144hz only at 8 bit colour. Not as bright as PA32UCG and far from the same visual quality lots of blooming and firmware issues. Painful to look at in 2d a 3d due to excessive blooming and colour distortion. I did a RETURN on this one after countless hours with ASUS trying to figure out why the image quality is so different from the PA32UCG despite similar panels. Bad uniformity.

Porsche Design PD32M (AOC) - best hardware, worst firmware. after trying two monitors I had to return both monitors. Terrible blooming, inferior brightness, horrible OSD, lousy tech support. The hardware has all the capabilities to dominate, but poor AOC firmware killed it. RETURN and RETURN --- PS as of writing this post, AOC tech support denies all knowledge of having this monitor. Nor do they ANYONE in house that I had high hopes on this monitor, it has great potential, but alas, hardware is only as good as firmware and drivers supporting it.

*PA32UCG - great potential if Asus support could be effective. Even though I have this monitor and have 1 on my desk - I had to do 4 returns to get 1 without issues.
Issues: HDMI 2.1 port stopped working and dead pixels on one monitor, dim brightness on one corner in 1 monitor, large halo in one corner on another monitor, a stripe/ dirt/ defect under the screen in another monitor. Lastly Asus customer service has seriously take a nose dive, and don't blame COVID for bad QA.

So yes, I have 1 and I think its the best one out there - trouble is I had to buy 5 monitors/returns to get to 1 that was acceptable.

synthesis
PA32UCG is the best monitor for 2D 3D pro work and the best gaming monitor and on firmware 103 it seems to be what one desires/expects. HOWEVER, the price is stupid high and QA issues plague the product line. ($5000)
the PD32M has the best potential (hardware) but AOC firmware and a lack of support signifies this is a dead product, the way it shipped is the way it will always be with little chance of a fixed firmware. ($1800)
PG32uQX- it could gave been better, but ASUS is not going to improve it because it would compete with the $2000 more PA32UCG and PA32UCX that cost 2k more. ($3000)
PA32UCX - same as PA32UCX, overpriced at 4500 and 5000 (very overpriced) but 2nd place in the whole FALD market. ($4500)
So in total I have gone through 9 monitors to have 1 PA32UCG and 1 PA32UCX.
(not counting my attempt at the mac monitor and the Samsung fald monitor, which was disappointing at an extreme level, and the Dell with 2000 lighting zones, but slow screen and only 60 hz, but also much dimmer/less bright than expected)

not happy with the limited, bad QA, overpriced offerings.

no, the mac is not an option, the samsung G is also not an option, both are replete with issues. Also anything less than HDR1400 (1600 preferred), 600cd nominal brightness, and no less the the 1152 lighting zones are a prerequisite. Lower count lighting zones results in more blooming and a "checkerboard" lighting effect.

Update:
the "one" PA32UCG-K that I have without any issues with the one I bought last (of course), interestingly --it has a manufacture date of "November 2020" on the label, the onboard bios however reports "2020, week 30" --- the PA32UCG monitors did not become available till June 2021, so it would seem manufacture took place almost a year prior. Both onboard bios and label somewhat agree to the prior year.

side notes:
some notes: OLED burn-in is an issue without a solution if you use your monitor for productivity and rely on text/ font etc, OLED brightness is not really bear HDR visuals. The PA32UCG is rated 1t 1600 for brightness but routinely does 1800 - for productivity and accuracy IPS panels are better than VA. VA fonts and accuracy / sharpness / detail is worse than IPS. I returned an OLED because even just doing 2 hours of WORD for a paper/school, the screen had a permanent shadow of the menu and the white portrait rectangle like a watermark. Switching to a solid gray background (72.72.72) always showed the watermark - always may be a strong word, for the 8 days I tried to live with it there was a watermark that faded bit ever completely went away - and this was a return.

full array backlit should only be considered if it can do LOCAL DIMMING in 2d / 3d without HDR enabled. User should have control over when to apply the FALD and at what speed and intensity.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
You double pasted.

System Name VENTURI
Storage Raid 0 Micron 9300 Max (15.4TB each / 77TB array - overprovisioned to 64TB) & 8TB OS nvme
Case TT miniITX P1 (SFF)
Mouse Mad Catz pro X
Keyboard KeyChron Q6 Pro
System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
OLED burn-in is an issue without a solution if you use your monitor for productivity and rely on text/ font etc
People told me this but two years in and I have yet to really experience it.

The solution for me was a simple screensaver. I do agree their HDR brightness is subpar vs FALD though.

System Name VENTURI
Case TT miniITX P1 (SFF)
Mouse Mad Catz pro X
Keyboard KeyChron Q6 Pro
I tried the Alienware oled, however, as I don’t use scaling, the font and document prep always seemed blurry. I tried every setting I could but was unable to keep the font from being blurry or inherit a purple red blur on all the font edges.

also, I was getting a “watermark” after using WORD for several hours on a row - where the menu and the white portrait tectabgke was “stinging or etching” an after image. I had the monitor for 9 days total, after seeing the watermark I limited how long I did documents, but the watermark, despite fading and almost being gone, was still slightly visible