• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Firefox to block tracking by default

So this is all rooted in Linux advocacy. I was almost hoping it was something else.
Incorrect. I was only stating that it is a valid option. My main personal platform is still Windows 7. My secured critical data storage system is Linux. Why? Because it is secure and rarely has vulnerabilities.
One hallmark moment was the first release of KDE. People thought finally desktop development will make inroads.. but then GNOME released soon after.. and it's been a mess ever since. It's the story of Linux distros in a nutshell.. a story of multiple reinventions of the wheel, of multiple clashing visions, of a thousand random guys named "Sven" hacking a way at the same type of tools but in different forms, causing clutter and mass confusion worldwide. :p
While is some truth there, this is not the case for major distributions. The big companies/groups are and have been solid for almost 15 years.
Linux will never get anywhere because it's own development model and community prevents it.
Android anyone? Android is Linux. And it is the dominant OS on the planet, making Linux the dominant platform on the planet.
As for Edge, what are you talking about? Phone home?
Pick one?
I asked you before and it's just paranoia on your part.
It has been said; "Caution is the better part of valor." See below..
There are privacy options in the settings, but none of it is about "phoning home" except keeping browser history and bookmarks and such if you have an MS account. You can turn it off.
Maybe, but how do we know it's actually off? If the source code were open, or at least available for inspection then we could verify such. But it isn't, it's closed source and we have no choice but to take Microsoft's word for it. No thank you, especially given the shady dealings of Microsoft in the recent and distant past.

Until Microsoft releases/opens the source code for public inspection, I choose not to trust them.

I am willing to trust OSS because it is open for public inspection and use, which is why I am willing to use Firefox, Chrome and their derivatives.

Last edited:
like I say windows 10 is a malware cloud based service [not a OS ] and add todays high speed internet 2+2 still = 4 on that

what gets me is how easy folks fall for things like voice . face and fingerprint ''goodies '' thinking its grand security ? i'll bet there dancing and skipping around the office getting that data to sell . you know the nsa types loves it with out saying thank you for it .

I'm like you and put little weight in there turn it off . its just a feature to satisfy your mind and as soon as you connect to the net the backdoors are fully wide open when ever they decide to pay you and your harddrive a visit

remember when 911 struck bill gates was fast and first to the Whitehouse . all them windows computers needed a peak in to right away ..lol...

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Because Edge is inherently insecure. Microsoft's "call home to mamma" features are baked right into it and are unacceptable.
Well, lump me into the group of idiots lacking common sense.

I didn’t like Edge at first but it has grown on me, and is very easy to use, as well as fast. I don’t have the data at hand but it’s also recently been proven to be very secure.

I really don’t care if it calls home to the tech company whose operating system I already use.

Edit: I also use Firefox. :)

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory Corsair LPX 3600 4x8GB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6800 XT (reference)
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Samsung CFG70, Samsung NU8000 TV
Case Corsair C70
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Win 10 Pro
Incorrect. I was only stating that it is a valid option. My main personal platform is still Windows 7. My secured critical data storage system is Linux. Why? Because it is secure and rarely has vulnerabilities.

While is some truth there, this is not the case for major distributions. The big companies/groups are and have been solid for almost 15 years.

Android anyone? Android is Linux. And it is the dominant OS on the planet, making Linux the dominant platform on the planet.

Pick one?

It has been said; "Caution is the better part of valor." See below..

Maybe, but how do we know it's actually off? If the source code were open, or at least available for inspection then we could verify such. But it isn't, it's closed source and we have no choice but to take Microsoft's word for it. No thank you, especially given the shady dealings of Microsoft in the recent and distant past.

Until Microsoft releases/opens the source code for public inspection, I choose not to trust them.

I am willing to trust OSS because it is open for public inspection and use, which is why I am willing to use Firefox, Chrome and their derivatives.

Android is temporary. I said already Google wasn't an actual tech company. It's already being replaced as we speak. It's only purpose was to destroy Windows Phone and Blackberry... and hopefully rival iOS. Mission accomplished. Now many people are in Google's sphere.

And even as a Linux, it means nothing. It effects nothing about Linux as a whole. It's ideas don't effect the direction of the entire platform like BSD's or any other UNIX. It's just another in a long line of distros that works under it's own exclusive circumstances. Tamper with it and it'll fall like a house of cards This one only has prettier branding than usual... instead of.. you know.. "KRANKOR Linux" or "Malarchy OS".

edit: Krankor would actually be pretty sweet.

Krankor.jpg

Here's another thing. If it was all supposed to "happen anytime now", IT WOULD HAVE ALREADY. It can't manage what Apple did within a couple of years. Scratch that, what Steve Jobs did. He got kicked out of Apple in the mid 80s and within a couple of years built Next... one of the prettiest and complete desktop UNIX versions around. Then when Apple finally wanted him back in the late 90s, he brought the base of Next and completed OS X almost instantly. Then iOS. And proceeded to conquer the world with it.

It didn't take him decades like Linux.. which still hasn't got there, except superficially (i.e. the house of cards I mentioned).

And like I said, Sony also did it with the PS4... and conquered their side of the world with that too. It's everything the Steam box wishes it was -- ONLY COMPETENT. And yet I have to hear over and over again how Valve is going to pull this off.. when they failed already.. and can't even release their own damn games anymore at that. To hell with these amateurs. They're a glorified Wal-Mart. I don't expect much more from them. They can't even make a damn controller right. lol. Mine's collecting dust. Wouldn't even bother inflicting someone else with it.

/rantoff

Last edited:
''Tamper with it and it'll fall like a house of cards''

gosh forbid someone ''tampers '' with Linux code writers and programmers whoever going in to parts of it and changing things . shame on them we all know Linux is meant to be left alone and to be used as is ...lol..... then do that and have the nerve to submit there work back to them for approval for use .. what were they thinking . do that with winblows and may see a lawsuit

you know as many attacks windows gets tto have as many security updates they push over and over you wonder if your running a OS or running nothing but a security patch after awhile

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
''Tamper with it and it'll fall like a house of cards''

gosh forbid someone ''tampers '' with Linux code writers and programmers whoever going in to parts of it and changing things . shame on them we all know Linux is meant to be left alone and to be used as is ...lol..... then do that and have the nerve to submit there work back to them for approval for use .. what were they thinking . do that with winblows and may see a lawsuit

you know as many attacks windows gets tto have as many security updates they push over and over you wonder if your running a OS or running nothing but a security patch after awhile

I'm not talking about coding from scratch. I'm just saying it's not very interchangeable. There is no true thing such as "Linux". It's all distros.. run by some neckbeard in his basement (or in a corporation's basement). And from the start, it couldn't even agree on Sys-V vs BSD init/runlevels. Some even change entire directory practices (like what goes in /etc). That on it's own decides a lot of the "flavor"... but it gets worse from there as years go by. Different package managers, different "userland", different file systems (the fact that there are many available ones is in and of itself retarded too).

''I'm just saying it's not very interchangeable''

I don't get that statement , maybe ask or bring that up here ?
https://sourceforge.net/

its all open source software . works under it all

Linux Mint is one of the most popular desktop Linux distributions and used by millions of people.

Some of the reasons for the success of Linux Mint are:

• It works out of the box, with full multimedia support and is extremely easy to use.
  • It's both free of cost and open source.
  • It's community-driven. Users are encouraged to send feedback to the project so that their ideas can be used to improve Linux Mint.
  • Based on Debian and Ubuntu, it provides about 30,000 packages and one of the best software managers.
  • It's safe and reliable. Thanks to a conservative approach to software updates, a unique Update Manager and the robustness of its Linux architecture, Linux Mint requires very little maintenance (no regressions, no antivirus, no anti-spyware...etc).
''Based on Debian and Ubuntu, it provides about 30,000 packages and one of the best software managers''

so not interchangeable?

Last edited:
System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
''I'm just saying it's not very interchangeable''

I don't get that statement , maybe ask or bring that up here ?
https://sourceforge.net/

its all open source software . works under it all

I don't even want to talk about it here. I was dragged into it, for the insult of using a browser. lol. That's nerdy even by this site's standards. There are bigger problems in the world that what browser a person is using.

I wanted to get to the bottom of this mentality though, and lo and behold, it's rooted in Linux. I'm not surprised. They're like a CULT. Only a cult would treat something trivial as a "browser" as "wrong" on some level. And only a cult tries convincing people of some apocalypse or special Comet coming "any day now". That's what's like to hear about Linux desktops and gaming. "Any day now". Their prediction rate is as bad as the Jehovah's Witnesses at this point.

OK then..

There are "family trees" in UNIX land (Sys V and BSD, which I mentioned). And in Linux-land, further family trees broken down by distros. Many Debian based distros, for example (and then further broken down by a myriad of an offshoot of Debian - Ubuntu based distros). You can't step outside of them too much or bring something from outside. There's no real platform called "Linux". It's more like a bunch of smaller communities living in walled gardens.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

Heartbleed.
Only a cult would treat something trivial as a "browser" as "wrong" on some level.

Just a quick reply to this (I might write something about Linusland later) but a browser isn't trivial. Everything important we do these days, we do online. It's literally the door through which we explore the wastelands of the Internet.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Heartbleed.

Just a quick reply to this (I might write something about Linusland later) but a browser isn't trivial. Everything important we do these days, we do online. It's literally the door through which we explore the wastelands of the Internet.

Trivial in comparison to character flaws in the real world.

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 925
Motherboard Asus M4A78LT-M
Cooling Ice Hammer IH-4***
Memory 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair
Video Card(s) Asus HD7870 2GB
Storage 500GB SATAII Samsung | 500GB SATAII Seagate
Display(s) 23" LG 23EA63V-P
Case Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) VIA VT1708S
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Software Windows 10 x64
Wish they fixed GPU acceleration on AMD cards that was broken by the Quantum roll out.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Trivial in comparison to character flaws in the real world.

But the internet is the real world today, and the browser is how we interact with it. I don't go to banks anymore, I do my banking online. Most of my shopping is done online. Medical stuff is done online.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
But the internet is the real world today, and the browser is how we interact with it. I don't go to banks anymore, I do my banking online. Most of my shopping is done online. Medical stuff is done online.

Well, you'd be safe with most mainstream browsers then. Only a cultist couldn't see that.

By lacking common sense, I reserve that for like... I don't know.. someone who habitually breaks driving laws or leaves their kids at home without a guardian.

By lacking common sense
Don't take my comment personally. It was meant to make people stop and think about things for a moment, not to offend. You're smart enough to see that and to know that closed source browsers are dangerous.

System Name Grunt
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case Corsair C70
Software Win 10 Pro
Don't take my comment personally. It was meant to make people stop and think about things for a moment, not to offend. You're smart enough to see that and to know that closed source browsers are dangerous.

Funny.. I was just thinking about the same thing while reading one of your posts in another thread. That was a pretty hefty rant above, but I don't mean it personally either. And if anything, it displays the expectations I once had for Linux.. and the disappointment that followed. I wanted it to succeed more, but I've come to believe that the BSD approach would have been a lot better now. It's open source, but the core team flexes more control. It's not as chaotic. And as I pointed out, many open source projects maintain themselves this way (Mozilla, Blender, etc).

That and the license itself is more flexible for corporate developers (hence the results produced by Apple and Sony).

Well, you'd be safe with most mainstream browsers then. Only a cultist couldn't see that.

By lacking common sense, I reserve that for like... I don't know.. someone who habitually breaks driving laws or leaves their kids at home without a guardian.

''By lacking common sense, I reserve that for like... I don't know.. someone who habitually breaks driving laws or leaves their kids at home without a guardian'''

well that just about covers every typical American working family

Do you trust browser maker? Is it open source? That being said, do you trust your ISP? Coz all traffic goes through them. Are they open source based and openly disclose how they process data and you believe them to be actually doing that? Then you use VPN to hide stuff from them and you should ask yourself, is VPN provider really doing what is promising? And this can go to infinity and beyond...

If you really want to be private you need to stay away from internet. And even then, things like that secret Mastercard+Google deal surface where they were collecting data on users... What, are we all going to go back to good old paper money? I highly doubt it until you're ultra paranoid or a criminal. We just love convenience and money isn't convenient...

I highly doubt it until you're ultra paranoid or a criminal.
What are you talking about? Cash money has never gone away.
We just love convenience and money isn't convenient...
If you say so. Cash is easy to use. No swiping/inserting a card and putting in a pin number, or trying to remember which card has what balance. Just pull out cash, pay, go. Simple, easy.

and a guy on a keyboard cant lock you out . with cash you keep it in the mattress to use. like in Sweden they freeze a guys accounts and hes about done for because there the leaders in having a cashless society .

with that no cash to buy anything and a 3ed party has near full grip on all your funds . you will then kiss there butt hard on your knees or starve [why do you think there pushing it as so great and wonderful ? that's the end goal ] sad thing is folks fall for it hook line and sinker .

2e is where the real money ? hard cash ? aint its now just a data stream on a statement. you really never see , hold or think you really got any [unless the give it to you if you bow to there ways ], right ?

cashless = dangerous. as long as you be a yes sir guy and fully conform to there thinking and way they allow you some on credit card that can be turned off at any given time as they see fit to keep you in line

hard cash money cant do that yuour a free man still

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
with that no cash to buy anything and a 3ed party has near full grip on all your funds . you will then kiss there butt hard on your knees or starve [why do you think there pushing it as so great and wonderful ? that's the end goal ] sad thing is folks fall for it hook line and sinker .

So banks is just a very slow kind of population control? That's an excellent idea for a story.

banks government controlled

if all you had and your government allowed was one c-card and cash was no good you go to a store to buy food cause your kjids are hungry and whoever decided your were not a ''team player'' and told the bank to cancel that card then your at the check out and swipe it and see its no good sorry, see your through. your not reaching in to your bill fold for any cash cause its worthless now

so now what ? ya ,your kissing butt to become there ''team player '' or starve cant pay any bills on the street ..lol.. as said - you do there way or the HI way''

look now how many times you hear only criminals use cash ?

cash is freedom take that away and your not and you see how everyone is being tracked now swipe that c-card and your fingered use that 20$ bill your invisible

the new world order is close at hand then you get that mark

well this has got way off topic

enjoy

Last edited: