• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Flashed wrong BIOS

MrPipa

I have an eMachines ET1850 motherboard/pc that I flashed with, obviously, the wrong bios file:banghead:. The BIOS is therefor corrupt, the screen is black and there is no beep on bootup, not even with the ram taken out. (It's an AMI BIOS btw.)

USB ports show no signs of life, CMOS is cleared and I cant connect floppy as I only have one with IDE port, and the mobo only has SATA ports (I need an adapter which costs about 20€).

Now I need some help in flashing the corrupt BIOS.
I was wondering what options I have now. The CD-drive seems to be working and so does the LAN port (lights lit up when connecting).
I have tried putting AMIBOOT.ROM (the backup bios) on a cd, both with and without AFUDOS.exe. I have tried pressing ctrl+winkey on boot, but all without luck. I even burned a CD with a bootable "floppy" disk (see for details: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/14572-AMI-BIOS-Recovery-(using-CD) )
So the CD recovery option didnt work. But I noticed that the LAN port was functioning and I thought what if I could flash the bios from another computer trough LAN, but I only found something about flashing the bios on XBOX 360. Hotflashing is not possible as the BIOS chip is soldered to the mobo.

So any ideas on how to flash with a lan cable or should i buy the adapter and try with the floppy? (and if that doesnt work I should just RMA the mobo?)

Thx for any advice! :respect:

:toast:

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
In this kind of situation RMA or calling them up for a replacement would be the answer.
Just say it was a bad BIOS flash.

I have not had dealings with eMachines myself, but if they are like HP, you maybe able to call them up and they may just send you a motherboard for you to replace.

Also depending on the support over there.

Processor C2duo e6750@ 2800mhz
Motherboard GA-P43T-ES3G
Cooling Xigmatek S1283
Memory 2x2Gb Kingstone HyperX DDR3 1600 (KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX )
Video Card(s) HIS HD 6870
Storage samsung HD103SJ
Case Xigmatek Utgard
Audio Device(s) X-FI Titanium Pci-e
Power Supply Xigmatek NRP-PC702 700W
Software win7 ultimate -64bit
Do you have asus motherboard ? Asus motherboards have different procedure

It is possible to save a bricked bios http://www.mydigitallife.info/recover-or-undo-corrupt-ami-bios-flash-update/

Recovery procedures for AMI BIOS

Download the latest version or your choose version of BIOS file for your computer or motherboard from the manufacturer’s support site.
Rename the downloaded file to AMIBOOT.ROM.
Copy the file to a floppy disk.
Insert the floppy disk to the floppy drive.
Turn on the system.
The system should automatically access the floppy drive (indicated LED will light up). If no floppy access occurs press and hold Ctrl-Home to force update. Follow any on screen instruction to restore and recover the good BIOS from the floppy disk.
When 4 beeps are heard or a reboot prompt you may remove the floppy disk.
Restart the computer.

Bios recovery procedures including Asus
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/870-Bios-Recovery-Procedures You can try usb flash and cd-rom they may work http://www.ehow.com/how_12032549_recover-amibios.html

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

Is the bios socketed? You could maybe take it out if it is, and find a shop with the device for plugging the chip into and flashing the chip direct.

MrPipa

It's, as I said in the first post, an acers motherboard (eMachines ET1850).
Ive tried burning AMIBOOT.ROM on cd and pressing ctrl+winkey on boot both before powering up and right after powering up. No luck.

As for tiggers answer, no, hotflashing is not possible as the chip is soldered in to the motherboard, also as I previously said in my first post.

I contacted the shop where i bought the comp. and they said the warranty was not anymore valid because i opened the case? So to "repair" it (they would just replace the mobo) it would cost me the mobo (~100€) + the service and shipping (another 100€). And no, buying the mobo isn't possible as they dont expect customers to open their computers cases? WHAT? :mad:

So im back to square one...

Oh and please read my post entirely before suggesting something ive already tried or noted.

Thank you! :respect: :toast:

Last edited:
System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
It might be easier (and cheaper) to just buy another G41 board. OEM boards have little to no provisions for bad flashes. Since the replacement board uses the same chipset your Windows installation shouldn't flinch at the change and if it does usually a phone call fixes it.

MrPipa

G41? How did you find out that :O And could you give examples (an ASUS would probably be the best alternative)? The board is pricy anyway because the ET1850 has an IGP and no graphics card at all, so wouldn't I be forced to either buy the G41 mobo and a gpu or a mobo with an IGP?

The pc is not meant for gaming or intense graphics in any way just for the record.

Are you sure testing with the floppy recovery method (which includes buying the SATA/IDE adapter for it) is not going to save the mobo?

System Name Selene / Yoda
Processor Fx 8350 @ 4.4 / Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3.6
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 r4.0 / Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Cooling H100i / Xig Dark Knight
Memory 4x 8gb G.Skill Snipers / 4x 4gb G.Skill Ares
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 290x / XfX DD & VisionTek HD6850's C'fired
Storage 256gb ssd, 2x 2tb Wd Blacks & 1x 1tb Wd black / 1x 1tb
Display(s) Dell Ultra Sharp 2408 WFp / Hp w2207
Case Raidmax Vampire / Chieftec Alum. Dragon Blue
Audio Device(s) Onboard Hd Audio / Onboard Hd Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX 850 watt / Corsair TX 750 watt
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 10 pro / Win Vista Home prem. 64 bit
Benchmark Scores What are benchmarks anyway?
I think you may need to either find a bios chip and try your hand at soldering or chalk it up to a learning experience. But if you can get a guarantee that the floppy adapter will work in this situation then go for that. I myself and I stress "myself" wouldn't feel right with going the rma route as this isn't a case where the product failed. It's a case of end user error.

D

Deleted member 24505

hot flashing is still possible, you use a clip thing, to connect to the chip with it still in situ on the board.

Motherboard GA-P43T-ES3G
Cooling Xigmatek S1283
Storage samsung HD103SJ
Case Xigmatek Utgard

MrPipa

Woopsie. Well trying the HOME key combination now...

No success, as I figured...

Nothing on the screen, no beeps, nothing.

Last edited:
Motherboard GA-P43T-ES3G
Cooling Xigmatek S1283
Storage samsung HD103SJ
Case Xigmatek Utgard
Canyou write motherboard brand and model ?
Your options
1- Try bootable usb flash with switches fro blind flash, boot from usb may not be enabled default .You need to add autoexec.bat to usb flash /floppy etc for blind flash with
2-Try flash from serial port
3-Do you have ide or sata cd/dvd rom ? http://www.ami.com/support/doc/amibios8_flash_recovery_whitepaper_v10.pdf this old pdf says ide cd-dvd but im not sure still correct

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/2255-Help-How-to-Flash-AMI-bios-CORRECTLY

http://www.bootdisk.com/

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
G41? How did you find out that :O And could you give examples (an ASUS would probably be the best alternative)? The board is pricy anyway because the ET1850 has an IGP and no graphics card at all, so wouldn't I be forced to either buy the G41 mobo and a gpu or a mobo with an IGP?

I'm going by this: http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pcs/1286443/emachines-et1850/specifications

Every G41 board should have an IGP. Having an IGP doesn't make a board expensive as the IGP is already part of the chipset.

MrPipa

Fortunately i realized today that floppydrives use the 34 pin connector, not IDE, so the floppy recovery method doesnt work.

But if I buy the USB floppy drive, will it access the usb floppy as I havent so far got any life signs from the USB ports on the mobo?

(The USB-floppy drive is also actually cheaper than the IDE-SATA adapter just for the record)

Btw found a g41 mobo for 50€
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/G41M-GS3/
Is it worth it? :)

:toast:

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Just try to RMA it. I tried to work with MSI because I made the mistake of flashing the BIOS for the "975X Platinum" to a "975X Platinum Power-Up Edition" and bricked it. They sent me a new BIOS chip with the good BIOS but the board was still dead. They repaired/replaced the board but flashing the wrong BIOS always makes a good day crappy. Sorry to hear that you're yet another victim of a bad BIOS flash. :(

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Just try to RMA it. I tried to work with MSI because I made the mistake of flashing the BIOS for the "975X Platinum" to a "975X Platinum Power-Up Edition" and bricked it. They sent me a new BIOS chip with the good BIOS but the board was still dead. They repaired/replaced the board but flashing the wrong BIOS always makes a good day crappy. Sorry to hear that you're yet another victim of a bad BIOS flash. :(
Ive done similar. There are a few companies on the net that will send you a new boot rom chop with the bios rev you want on it allready and reasonable price .fixed my ol mobo

MrPipa

Failure with consequenses.

The BIOS didnt even have a bootblock...

Last time I buy a ready comp, in the future I only buy piece by piece and build the comp. myself.

Anyway, bought the Asrock G41-GS3 mobo, hopefully it will work.

Thank you all for all the help! :toast:

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
The BIOS didnt even have a bootblock...

Last time I buy a ready comp, in the future I only buy piece by piece and build the comp. myself.

Anyway, bought the Asrock G41-GS3 mobo, hopefully it will work.

Thank you all for all the help! :toast:

Enjoy the fun of system building!