• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Flashed x850 pro with wrong bios - HELP!

A

Alb3rt

I did the stupidest thing of d/l the wrong bios file to flash my 850 pro. It is an AGP card, but I flashed it with the pci-e bios. I know, bad mistake. Now my problem is that I can't flash it back. If I try to boot with the card in my system, it won't boot - won't even display the bios information. I've tried booting with a pci card installed, but if the SGP card is installed as well, it won't boot. If I boot to the pci card, then plug in the agp card once in DOS, when I try to run flashrom, the system locks until the ago card is taken back out. Even the -f switch doesn't help. Is there a way to manually clear the BIOS from the agp card, or to force it to be flashed without taking into consideration the existing bios?

I'm open to all suggestions!

A

Alb3rt

jiahsuan said:
use pci vga ,flash a right BIOS

I can boot it with a PCI card, but not if the AGP card is also installed (even if I have the bios set to init pci video first). If I boot to the PCI card, them install the AGP card, the system will work, but when I try to flash it back, the system locks. It doesn't see the AGP card as being installed and hangs.

cosmyco

Hello there...

Try this:

1 - Put your MB Bios to factory defaults (thru jumpers or take the battery out or whatever)

2 - Take off your AGP Card, put PCI on and boot...

3 - Turn off the computer, but DON'T take the power card off (maybe a led, if your MB has one, will be on)

4 - Plug your AGP card...

Did it help ?

If it didn't, boot with your PCI only and simulate the process of flashing, and do it on the dark with only your AGP card on...

Good luck !

USE -i , can see the agp card ?

sorry about my english @@"

A

Alb3rt

cosmyco said:
BTW, what's your MB ?

Gigabyte GA-7N400-L

I've tried the -i switch, but whenever I try to do anything with that card installed, the machine just locks until I reboot, or remove the card.

AtariLaughingMan

=( I know exactly what you're going through. I did the same exact thing recently. I don't know what to do now. If you find a solution please keep us updated. lol, i tried doing what you said, and also took it a step further by booting with another agp card in there then swaping, but same thing, system locks up. Oh, and you can't find the card using -i, locks up doing tht as well.

cosmyco

Well, at least your booting with both cards already...

I suggest you to try something different now: instead of flashing from the floppy, make a folder on your HD that you can access after booting from floppy, and put some different versions of atiflash and flashrom in it http://www.techpowerup.com/bios/ (there´s also a modified version of flashrom out there that has special features, I think the filename is flashrom16p.zip or something)... Some days ago, I flashed the wrong bios to mine Radeon 9600 PRO, and some version detected it but some didn´t.
Then go to that folder (c: from the prompt, then cd name_of_the_folder), and try them out... Don´t forget to put all the files from the zip you download, that seems to have helped me...

SPHERE

Processor opteron 165
Motherboard dfi cfx3200
Cooling zalman 7000
Memory mushkin xp4000
Video Card(s) x1900xt
Storage 4x320 7200.10 raid
Display(s) 21" sony trinitron
Case v2000b lianli
Audio Device(s) x-fi platinum
Power Supply pcpac 510
Software gaydows
Alb3rt said:
I did the stupidest thing of d/l the wrong bios file to flash my 850 pro. It is an AGP card, but I flashed it with the pci-e bios. I know, bad mistake. Now my problem is that I can't flash it back. If I try to boot with the card in my system, it won't boot - won't even display the bios information. I've tried booting with a pci card installed, but if the SGP card is installed as well, it won't boot. If I boot to the pci card, then plug in the agp card once in DOS, when I try to run flashrom, the system locks until the ago card is taken back out. Even the -f switch doesn't help. Is there a way to manually clear the BIOS from the agp card, or to force it to be flashed without taking into consideration the existing bios?

I'm open to all suggestions!
you are royaly fu**ed dude :( i did that to a 9600se (x300se bios) and i never fixed it :(