• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Floppy discs

Very interesting video as are all his videos.It is interesting to note that newer discs from 2000 on are not so good and unreliable even top makes like Sony according *8- bit guy* ,that,s bad news for me. :(
Have a like just for watching 8-bit guy. :) Yes, there are storage quirks like that. Eg, some dye-based DVD-R's were worse for "bit-rot" than early CD-R's. Likewise, newer 2022-era TLC / QLC flash storage can have significantly worse unpowered data retention than 10 year old MLC +40nm flash drives vs charge leak.

If all else fails, you could of course join the US Navy whose Aircraft Carrier Food Service Management software still runs on MS-DOS and floppy discs. No, really... :twitch:

Processor Threadripper 3955WX
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 4U SP3
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) 5700XT + 3x RX 590
Storage A lot
Display(s) ViewSonic G225fB
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply be quiet! DPP12 1500W
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
I just saw this video from one of the top Retro you-tubers on floppy Disc s
Very interesting video as are all his videos.It is interesting to note that newer discs from 2000 on are not so good and unreliable even top makes like Sony according *8- bit guy* ,that,s bad news for me. :(
Quality is indeed different but they do work the same as the older designs. I have a bunch of 3.5" Verbatim diskettes Man. Date 2009 and the only differences with the older ones is that the plastic is clearly cheaper and the shutter isn't metal anymore.

Still got 3 50-pack of them brand new sealed, who knows, maybe they'll be worth a lot in some decades.
My 5.25" though, look like they've have been (ab)used since the 80's, label over label over label.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
If all else fails, you could of course join the US Navy whose Aircraft Carrier Food Service Management software still runs on MS-DOS and floppy discs. No, really... :twitch:
I mean, the computers that control our ICBM fleet still run off floppies. 8 inch ones IIRC. Sourcing them is becoming hard.

EDIT: oops, seems they fixed that in 2019... still runs on an IBM Series/1 though...

Also, just FYI, old floppies recorded in the 80s/early 90s are coming up against their magnetic storage retention limit. I have a set of old OS/2 boot floppies that are now completely blank...

Last edited:
Mr Retro himself ,he must have been born Retro ,as he said in one of his videos he was born in 1986 o_O ?I found out in one of his videos ,where people send stuff to him his name is Clint is *LGR* here he is on Floppy
Discs one of his favertate subjects.
:)

Last edited:
Mr Retro himself ,he must have been born Retro ,as he said in one of his videos he was born in 1986 o_O ?I found out in one of his videos ,where people send stuff to him his name is Clint is *LGR* here he is on Floppy
Discs. :)
LGR too? I must say you have a great taste in Youtube channels. :toast: I've found quite a few of his "yet another unboxing roundup of all the stuff you keep sending me..." hauls amusing.

LGR too? I must say you have a great taste in Youtube channels. :toast: I've found quite a few of his "yet another unboxing roundup of all the stuff you keep sending me..." hauls amusing.
I wish there were places like Goodwill in UK. :( Those blue bins full of crap from all the over stores he even saw a tape recorder with poo on ito_OAnd shredded paper still in the bin it was shredded in.o_OHe uses a golf club to look threw them ,if i was him i would wear latex gloves.:)It is about time he did some more Thrifting.:)Heres his first one ,lets go Thrifting :)

Processor Core 2 Quad Q9650
Motherboard XFX nForce 780i SLI
Cooling Zalman
Memory 4x1GB Ballistix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) 2x Quadro FX 4800
Storage 2x WD RE3 500GB RAID 0
Display(s) Apple Cinema HD
Case Chieftec Dragon
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi
Power Supply Corsair 500W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Lot of flash game .SWF will fit on them as well as actual 80s/90s games

I wish there were places like Goodwill in UK. :( Those blue bins full of crap from all the over stores he even saw a tape recorder with poo on ito_OAnd shredded paper still in the bin it was shredded in.o_OHe uses a golf club to look threw them ,if i was him i would wear latex gloves.:)It is about time he did some more Thrifting.:)Heres his first one ,lets go Thrifting :)
I’ve gone to a few goodwills in my area and never found anything good sadly. Best find was an 80s clock radio that I had to replace the speaker on since it was totally ruined. Too bad they don’t accept donations of CRTs or i’d come a lot more often.

I mean, the computers that control our ICBM fleet still run off floppies. 8 inch ones IIRC. Sourcing them is becoming hard.

EDIT: oops, seems they fixed that in 2019... still runs on an IBM Series/1 though...

Also, just FYI, old floppies recorded in the 80s/early 90s are coming up against their magnetic storage retention limit. I have a set of old OS/2 boot floppies that are now completely blank...
Yeah my windows 98 boot disk magically erased itself one day. Few months ago it worked now it’s blank…

Lot of flash game .SWF will fit on them as well as actual 80s/90s games

I’ve gone to a few goodwills in my area and never found anything good sadly. Best find was an 80s clock radio that I had to replace the speaker on since it was totally ruined. Too bad they don’t accept donations of CRTs or i’d come a lot more often.

Yeah my windows 98 boot disk magically erased itself one day. Few months ago it worked now it’s blank…
I remember Clint saying they don’t accept donations of CRTs any more.But in a latter episode after he said that he saw some CRT,s in there. o_OWhat does the LG stand for in LGR we know the R is for Retro.

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Oh, it's "discs". Sorry I misread it as something else.

Processor i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz (H2O Cooled)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling CPU = EK Velocity / GPU = EK Vector
Memory 32GB - G-Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6900 XT (H2O Cooled)
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 970 EVO - 870 QVO
Display(s) Samsung QN90A 50" 4K TV & LG 20" 1600x900
Case Lian Li O11-D
Audio Device(s) Presonus Studio 192
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Matias RGB Backlit Keyboard
Software Windows 10 & macOS (Hackintosh)
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
floppy 8===D ? :laugh:
Thing is 3,5" ones weren't really floppy. 5,25" ones were the ones that were floppy AF. Still have some of the Atari 65XE 5,25" floppies with games stashed in the basement. We used drive exactly like this one:
1649938072232.png

To run games. Sure beats using cassette tapes. Last time I used it the flippy thing was no longer functioning correctly.

Processor i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz (H2O Cooled)
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling CPU = EK Velocity / GPU = EK Vector
Memory 32GB - G-Skill Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6900 XT (H2O Cooled)
Storage Samsung 860 EVO - 970 EVO - 870 QVO
Display(s) Samsung QN90A 50" 4K TV & LG 20" 1600x900
Case Lian Li O11-D
Audio Device(s) Presonus Studio 192
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Matias RGB Backlit Keyboard
Software Windows 10 & macOS (Hackintosh)
lol right I'm old enough to remember when they were actually floppy too, before the form factor shrunk to 3.5". I don't remember ever having to use cassettes though. That is before my time. Funny though, first time I saw them in use was one of my first "real" jobs. Some old paper manufacturing equipment was still using them and it was sold off around 2003....I would hope the group who bought it updated things to more modern systems lol

Thing is 3,5" ones weren't really floppy. 5,25" ones were the ones that were floppy AF. Still have some of the Atari 65XE 5,25" floppies with games stashed in the basement. We used drive exactly like this one:
View attachment 243577
To run games. Sure beats using cassette tapes. Last time I used it the floppy thing was no longer functioning correctly.
Yes you are right there the 3.5 are in a plastic case.Is it worth my buying these 20 X used Various 3.5" Floppy Discs i sent a message to the seller this is my message to them *Hi do they have any games on them? I suppose if i were to buy them a lot of them want work.i understand Floppy Discs are not reliable.His reply *Hi yes some do have games on them but they are picked at random. I haven't had any one complain as yet about them not working.. but like you said they are a bit hit and miss.
Is it worth taking a chance hoping there are some games on them £7,20 He has sold six lots of them with no problems from the buyers.

Attachments

• 1649941648846.png
    1649941648846.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 32
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
Yes you are right there the 3.5 are in a plastic case.Is it worth my buying these 20 X used Various 3.5" Floppy Discs i sent a message to the seller this is my message to them *Hi do they have any games on them? I suppose if i were to buy them a lot of them want work.i understand Floppy Discs are not reliable.His reply *Hi yes some do have games on them but they are picked at random. I haven't had any one complain as yet about them not working.. but like you said they are a bit hit and miss.
Is it worth taking a chance hoping there are some games on them £7,20 He has sold six lots of them with no problems from the buyers.
People probably buy them just to erase and use for something else. Foiled packs of Verbatims go for as low as £10. I had enough of CRC errors in my lifetime to never go back to using them.

NES, TG16/PCE, GB/GBC, GameGear and Master System games yes. But many SNES and 16bit Sega games are too big for a floppy.
Thanks for that Lex i will give them a try. :)

People probably buy them just to erase and use for something else. Foiled packs of Verbatims go for as low as £10. I had enough of CRC errors in my lifetime to never go back to using them.
That does not sound goodo_OAny way i have 40 new ones ,i just hope they are ok:)If the i ones i showed you here were a fiver i would take a chance with them.

This! Really wish he would now that shops have opened back up!
I don,t know why others on you tube are. not doing it. o_O There are woman doing it ,but not for Retro gaming stuff and the like. o_O

Last edited:
It is yes. :)And a printer that is still working after 22 yearso_OI bet it is hard to get ink for it.

Thats something else for me to check out ,thanks. :)
Actually I can go to any office max and get my ink. The HP models for many years used the same type of ink cartridge. Also I can get them refilled or refill them myself. The G85 is a very durable printer. Lube the gears when it needs to be done and it just runs.

My current printer is a Xerox colorqube 8580 color printer which I swear by. This handy little thing helps me with my prepress production work. I'm a traditional game designer and that is an lost art to be honest. That printer uses a wax based ink that is melted on to the page. The colors are incredible and the cost per page is very low compared to normal ink jet printers.

However as state before I have a back up computer with Win 2000 which has my publishing software/games on it.

Actually I can go to any office max and get my ink. The HP models for many years used the same type of ink cartridge. Also I can get them refilled or refill them myself. The G85 is a very durable printer. Lube the gears when it needs to be done and it just runs.

My current printer is a Xerox colorqube 8580 color printer which I swear by. This handy little thing helps me with my prepress production work. I'm a traditional game designer and that is an lost art to be honest. That printer uses a wax based ink that is melted on to the page. The colors are incredible and the cost per page is very low compared to normal ink jet printers.

However as state before I have a back up computer with Win 2000 which has my publishing software/games on it.
Thats a bit different to Epson were every new modal uses different ink o_O I have had a HP printer for some years now,I get the Remanufactured ones the normal ones are far to Expensive.o_OI did try to refill the Epson ones it is a messy job i got more outside the cartridge then inside it.o_Oi want be doing that again.:)I do a lot less printing than i used to do.:)Inks are way over priced. :(

Processor Threadripper 3955WX
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 4U SP3
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) 5700XT + 3x RX 590
Storage A lot
Display(s) ViewSonic G225fB
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply be quiet! DPP12 1500W
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
Thats a bit different to Epson were every new modal uses different ink o_O I have had a HP printer for some years now,I get the Remanufactured ones the normal ones are far to Expensive.o_OI did try to refill the Epson ones it is a messy job i got more outside the cartridge then inside it.o_Oi want be doing that again.:)I do a lot less printing than i used to do.:)Inks are way over priced. :(
Well, yes, but actually no. Home printers (inkjet AND laser) are a scam, any brand you want, they're made to lure you into a DRM nightmare no matter the brand, the machine costs like $60 but then you have to spend $300 in ink and even if you print just black text the colour ink will deplete, why? because f.... the user that's why. When you buy ink cartridges you're only paying 20% of the price for the ink itself, the rest goes into brand, DRM (mainly) and packaging.

Epson and HP have great printers, but they're business models, like my FX-85 or your HP whatever the model is and you can still get both official and alternative ink after decades. I have a laser monochrome Brother as well and it's a superb machine with all the features I need.

Well, yes, but actually no. Home printers (inkjet AND laser) are a scam, any brand you want, they're made to lure you into a DRM nightmare no matter the brand, the machine costs like $60 but then you have to spend $300 in ink and even if you print just black text the colour ink will deplete, why? because f.... the user that's why. When you buy ink cartridges you're only paying 20% of the price for the ink itself, the rest goes into brand, DRM (mainly) and packaging.

Epson and HP have great printers, but they're business models, like my FX-85 or your HP whatever the model is and you can still get both official and alternative ink after decades. I have a laser monochrome Brother as well and it's a superb machine with all the features I need.
Yes i realise that ,they sell you a printer with start up inks for very little ink in to get you started.Then charge an arm and leg for there inks.Funny enough i see i am running out of ink.i looked on eBay and saw some very cheap Remanufactured ones i read the reviews the seller had saying they had only printed about 20 pages and it was saying the ink is low.You get what you pay for they were to cheap.
I will pay more and get them from Amazon based on reviews .The ones i have picked are 8 pounds dearer than the ones on eBay.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Ok guys, not that there's much discussion to be had about Floppy discs, but we are WAY off topic here. Stick to the OT, or make your own thread. thanks!!

I remember "Cosmo's Cosmic Adventures", 3 parts, on three 3½" 'floppys". Still have it around, somewheres.

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2

Laser printers use toner, not ink, and they dont "dry out" on home models. There's no magic there.

Speaking of business printers, HP's newest lineup requires the use of the HP app with an account in order to print. It will print once on just the bare driver, just to let you know it works and is DRM'd to hell. Business class doesnt mean what it used to.