• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fluctuating frame rate and not sure what to do

1. If you look at other posters messages, under their avatar you will see "system specs", please put you full specs in there; also consider that some of us old folks, after many years of PC use, (and teenagers for other reasons) have RSI to one level or another and if the "main info" isn't out there in plain view, some will just move on. That's your an their perogotaive, but recognize it may cut down on number of responses.

2. Knowing what make / model of the card (as well as everything else) is helpful.

3. Always include max CPU / GPU temps and voltages under load

4. Addressing the thermal issues on a card is a common solution and one of the few "universal" causes regardless of model. For example, if it was an EVGA SC 970, I'd say ... is it one of the early ones where 1/3 of the heat sink "missed" the GPU. Or if it was a EVGA 1060 - 1080, then Id ask if you know is it was one of the early ones where they cheaped out and left out the thermal pads. No way to tell if replacing TIM or reinstalling cooler will help as there is no information indicating temps at 100% load.

5. I understand that taking a component in your computer and taking it apart may be daunting. And you certainly have the right to put whatever label on it you want; just recognoze that 99% of the world calls this "troubleshooting" or "maintenance". My son just replaced one of the "chips" on his car (224,000 miles) . He had the choice of having the dealer do it ... $900 for the part + $300 labor or do it himself. He found one online from a junkyard 2 sates away for $20 and will install it himself, after having a local dealership program it for him ($75). You have the choice of returning the card and having them perform the "mutilation" or do it yourself. This is no different than having a car with a bad spark plug or blown water pump gasket. The fact remains, these products are made on production lines that move very fast. Not every one gets built to ideal standard of care. Very often a card survives w/o needing such attention ... if it wasn't fastened down evenly, it can deteriorate. Not also that the card came out almost 4 years ago and no one at the company from the penthouse office to low level line worker cares whether the card lasts past it's 3rd year. While it's noy a 100% thing, having to replace your TIM on CPU / GPU is by no means an unusual thing after 3 years. Think of it like the engine coolant on your car.

6. A power cut, in and off itself, may not be an issue. The problem occurs if there was a power surge before it went out or when it came back on. When power goes out, if you don't have adequate protection (UPS or Surge Protector), always unplug your PC. A $20 power strip w/ "surge protection" on the label is not good enough ... If it's less then $75, always unplug ... if it's more than $75 ... should unplug anyway ... risk may be small (0.01%) but unplugged it's 0%. Everything in your house isn't on at the same time .... but when power goes out for any length of time, temps drop in house, temps rise in fridge and when they are called to go on .... they can't. So when power is restired, the big instantaneous suck of power results in a voltage drop which means amps rise. Protection of your PC downstream of any protective devices starts with your PSU ... we don't know what that is so can't examine that failure path intelligently.

7. Asides from hardware impacts, the loss of power can case data loss or corruption. in order of easiest to hardest, things you may have to examine include:

a) Uninstall and reinstall drivers ... BTDT
b) Do a clean install of new drivers ....
- Uninstall all things nVidia from control panel
- Clean registry of all things nVidia using a registry cleaner.
or
use TPUs nvida uninstaller / installer utility
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...an-installer-for-nvidia-drivers-alpha.249085/
or
Use DDU
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
then reinstall all items in proper order

8. While the logs may be useful, w/o knowing the specific card or the boost range permitted in MSI AB, troubleshooting is limited by a lack of information. Which specific 980 Ti are we talking about ? I saw that CPU temps question was asked ... did I miss the results ?

9. I note that the power usage seems to have dropped even further since you pushed the limit up. One of the problems here is a varying load during the test as it's hard to run 2 tests thru the exact same sequence and lining up / comparing comparable results. Before helping someone with troubleshooting, I usually ask they run something that is sure to keep CPU load and GPU load up as close as we can to 100%. Also noted that your 3770 is the hottest running Intel desktop CPUs we have seen in last decade. This is what I use to collect this data. If you prefer other tools, by all means. Other tools will serve, just avoid P95 or other sytnhetic type CPU tests

https://www.hwinfo.com/
http://dlcdnmkt.asus.com/rog/RealBench_v2.56.zip
https://geeks3d.com/furmark/

a) Launch HWiNFO (sensors only) suggest setting it up to span screen top to bottom on right side of screen
b) Launch RoG Real Bench and run on left side of screen so you can see HWiNFO results during the 8 minute test. Record temps and voltages in each core as well as start and finish times.
c) Run Furmark ... we are not looking here to check GPU OC stability, you are not OCing so the goal here is to see if the card is able to get high numbers on % load. Furmark will show you temps on screen. Stop test when temps flat line or if ya see anything scary. Record temps and power usage as well as start and finish times.
d) record cause of any failures or crashes
e) Open event viewer and record and warnings or errors during times that tests were being run.

10. Again, specific information on all products in play is the best hint at what may be the problem. Is this a reference card, or AIB ?...who made it and what "model line". Same for PSU

So far ...

MoBo: Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3
CPU: Intel 3770k
Ram: 24 GB how many sticks ? identical ?
GPU: Gigabyte Model ____ 980 Ti
PSU:
Storage:

As was said, some components gain a history of known problems due to experiences by other users which may hint at what your are expeiencing

11. Have ya tested your storage device integrity ?

12. Look for reporting errors in Windows Logs (Event Viewer)

13. Checked the rail voltages on your 3.3, 5.0 and 12.0 volt rails (HWiNFO) forgot to put this in item 9.

14. Run the usual OS health checks ..

Win7
sfc / scannow
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-windows-update-using-dism

Win 10
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ntegrity/75529fd4-fac7-4653-893a-dd8cd4b4db00

15. Of course sometimes hardware problems can only be resolved but switching them out and seeing if problem goes away. If none of the above points to anything specific and HW is ruled out, then a OS reinstall may be only solution.

If ya are post additional info, will try and take this further.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Master Rev 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360MM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Galax GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Hall of Fame
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW 34" UltraWide QHD 120Hz IPS 1900R Curved G-Sync Gaming Monitor
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL Black Steel
Audio Device(s) OnBoard Audio - ESS SABRE HIFI 9118
Power Supply Corsair RM850i 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 LightSpeed Wireless Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Brown Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Professional
I started this thread by saying that this is my first post here and that I was new so I was not aware of all the requirements about having my system specs on my avatar.

Your post is very thorough and when I get a chance I will go through it.

D

Deleted member 67555

When did windows last update?
What is your last windows update?
Have you tried going into Device Manager and manually checking to see if any system Device drivers need updated?

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
Just adding an observation if I may.. In the perfcap graph, green = power limit, which I agree it looks like it shouldn't be hitting. I also noticed occasional blue lines on the graph, which is voltage limit. Looks like it might be hitting the voltage limit and the throttling back for a while and trying to boost again. Looking at the .txt logs the same can be seen, perfcap is usually 1 (power) with occasional jumps to 5 (combination of 1 - power, and 4 - voltage) when the VDDC reaches 1.187v, which should be fine since that's the max stock voltage. Then it drops back to around 1.0v for a while. I think this is most likely a physical problem on the card, it definitely doesn't seem to be behaving correctly, weird. :wtf:

Wolvyreen, can you try the card in a friend's PC just to completely rule out strange software issues? I don't think this is a thermal paste issue as temps look fine.

Welcome to TPU btw ;)

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
No need to, i gave you what needs to be done regardless, as i said you came here for help, I gave a suggestion and you are now doubting the suggestion. It is known as covering the bases, the card by manufacture is 4 years old, card makers use cheap thermal compound.

@Wolvyreen

This is clearly not a thermal problem with the GPU. Come on man. Look at the damn sensor data. This GPU does not throttle hard because it hits a temperature limit anywhere. I'm also not seeing how the CPU is related here.

I do remember someone having a similar voltage-related issue not too long ago. His voltage would exceed the set limits and a hard downclock was the result, precisely as seen here. A minor underclock may solve this problem. Try to max the voltage peak at 1.150v for starters.

Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW 34" UltraWide QHD 120Hz IPS 1900R Curved G-Sync Gaming Monitor
Ok, Lots of answers to give all of you and it's clear that you all are really wanting to help me fix this and that makes me feel real happy cause i need to get to the bottom of this.

Just an update: I have placed my system specs under my avatar now so you can check that out to get more info.

When did windows last update?
13 March 2019 - Wednesday
What is your last windows update?
March 12, 2019—KB4489868 (OS Build 17134.648)
Security Update for Adobe Flash Player: March 12, 2019
Have you tried going into Device Manager and manually checking to see if any system Device drivers need updated?
No I had not done that but I did it now and there was none.
I also checked the Mobo Bios Version and it is also up to date with V3603

1. If you look at other posters messages, under their avatar you will see "system specs", please put you full specs in there; also consider that some of us old folks, after many years of PC use, (and teenagers for other reasons) have RSI to one level or another and if the "main info" isn't out there in plain view, some will just move on. That's your an their perogotaive, but recognize it may cut down on number of responses.
This has now been done ;-)
2. Knowing what make / model of the card (as well as everything else) is helpful.
Check My System Specs now. Let me know if I'm missing anything.
3. Always include max CPU / GPU temps and voltages under load
See test results below
4. No way to tell if replacing TIM or reinstalling cooler will help as there is no information indicating temps at 100% load.
See test results below
7. Asides from hardware impacts, the loss of power can case data loss or corruption. in order of easiest to hardest, things you may have to examine include:

a) Uninstall and reinstall drivers ... BTDT
b) Do a clean install of new drivers ....
- Uninstall all things nVidia from control panel
- Clean registry of all things nVidia using a registry cleaner.
or
use TPUs nvida uninstaller / installer utility
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...an-installer-for-nvidia-drivers-alpha.249085/
or
Use DDU
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
then reinstall all items in proper order
This was done using DDU in Safe Mode before I opened this thread. So the driver doesn't seems to be the issue.

8. While the logs may be useful, w/o knowing the specific card or the boost range permitted in MSI AB, troubleshooting is limited by a lack of information. Which specific 980 Ti are we talking about ? I saw that CPU temps question was asked ... did I miss the results ?
I have now provided my System Specs. Does this help to give you more info?

a) Launch HWiNFO (sensors only) suggest setting it up to span screen top to bottom on right side of screen
b) Launch RoG Real Bench and run on left side of screen so you can see HWiNFO results during the 8 minute test. Record temps and voltages in each core as well as start and finish times.
c) Run Furmark ... we are not looking here to check GPU OC stability, you are not OCing so the goal here is to see if the card is able to get high numbers on % load. Furmark will show you temps on screen. Stop test when temps flat line or if ya see anything scary. Record temps and power usage as well as start and finish times.
d) record cause of any failures or crashes
e) Open event viewer and record and warnings or errors during times that tests were being run.
Ok, I have tried to do as much as you asked. This is what has been done today

1. I have stripped the machine down and given everything a good Clean and blown out all the dust.
2. I retested and the same result was seen. Fluctuating Frame rates and hard Crashes when running Jurassic Park Evolution.
3. So I installed HWInfo, Realbench and Furmark and the results are below.

Something I noticed during the Furmark test was that the Frame Rates was doing EXACTLY the same thing. Up and Down, Up and Down.
Take a look below and let me know if I missed something:

See Test_Results.zip attachment
Realbench Test RealTime - https://youtu.be/DLP9VnYmSsY
FurMark Test Stats - https://youtu.be/NuuqVXjXdv8 - (Notice the fluctuating FPS. I know, I forgot to exit FRAPS during the test while I was recording so I reran it and the same was seen anyway.)
FurMark Test GPU Temps - https://youtu.be/0alMlQQkbBE - (Notice the fluctuating temps. I suspect this is because of the Core Clocks Speeds jumping up and down.)

11. Have ya tested your storage device integrity ?
No, How exactly would I do this?

12. Look for reporting errors in Windows Logs (Event Viewer)
Nothing glaringly obvious that I see in there.

13. Checked the rail voltages on your 3.3, 5.0 and 12.0 volt rails (HWiNFO) forgot to put this in item 9.
See Test_Results.zip attachment. In the ZIP there is a HWInfo log output.

15. Of course sometimes hardware problems can only be resolved but switching them out and seeing if problem goes away. If none of the above points to anything specific and HW is ruled out, then a OS reinstall may be only solution.
I will have to find a friend who is willing to assist or take the machine to a local tech shop to use their loan items.

Wolvyreen, can you try the card in a friend's PC just to completely rule out strange software issues? I don't think this is a thermal paste issue as temps look fine. Welcome to TPU btw ;)
Thanks for the welcome :)
There seems to be a lot of intelligent people here willing to help which is always good.
I sadly don't have any close friends that are enthusiasts like me. So sadly I might have to take my machine to the local tech shop.

A minor underclock may solve this problem. Try to max the voltage peak at 1.150v for starters.
How exactly can I achieve what you are suggesting to see if it helps?[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Attachments

• Test_Results.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Ok, Lots of answers to give all of you and it's clear that you all are really wanting to help me fix this and that makes me feel real happy cause i need to get to the bottom of this.

Just an update: I have placed my system specs under my avatar now so you can check that out to get more info.

13 March 2019 - Wednesday

March 12, 2019—KB4489868 (OS Build 17134.648)
Security Update for Adobe Flash Player: March 12, 2019

No I had not done that but I did it now and there was none.
I also checked the Mobo Bios Version and it is also up to date with V3603

This has now been done ;-)

Check My System Specs now. Let me know if I'm missing anything.

See test results below

See test results below

This was done using DDU in Safe Mode before I opened this thread. So the driver doesn't seems to be the issue.

I have now provided my System Specs. Does this help to give you more info?

Ok, I have tried to do as much as you asked. This is what has been done today

1. I have stripped the machine down and given everything a good Clean and blown out all the dust.
2. I retested and the same result was seen. Fluctuating Frame rates and hard Crashes when running Jurassic Park Evolution.
3. So I installed HWInfo, Realbench and Furmark and the results are below.

Something I noticed during the Furmark test was that the Frame Rates was doing EXACTLY the same thing. Up and Down, Up and Down.
Take a look below and let me know if I missed something:

See Test_Results.zip attachment
Realbench Test RealTime - https://youtu.be/DLP9VnYmSsY
FurMark Test Stats - https://youtu.be/NuuqVXjXdv8 - (Notice the fluctuating FPS. I know, I forgot to exit FRAPS during the test while I was recording so I reran it and the same was seen anyway.)
FurMark Test GPU Temps - https://youtu.be/0alMlQQkbBE - (Notice the fluctuating temps. I suspect this is because of the Core Clocks Speeds jumping up and down.)

No, How exactly would I do this?

Nothing glaringly obvious that I see in there.

See Test_Results.zip attachment. In the ZIP there is a HWInfo log output.

I will have to find a friend who is willing to assist or take the machine to a local tech shop to use their loan items.

Thanks for the welcome :)
There seems to be a lot of intelligent people here willing to help which is always good.
I sadly don't have any close friends that are enthusiasts like me. So sadly I might have to take my machine to the local tech shop.

How exactly can I achieve what you are suggesting to see if it helps?
You can set the voltage for the entire curve in Precision X. Another option is undervolting simply with the power target slider. I think 95% would get you there.

Last edited:
But how will that fix the fluctuating??

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
But how will that fix the fluctuating??

Try it, takes all of 10 seconds... it has to do with how GPU boost works and the things it checks for. Once you exceed certain values you get slammed with a hard limit in the same way as with temperatures above 85C. The GPU will downclock hard as a security measure. Something may get tripped momentarily and knock you back down to safe values. By avoiding a peak value, you can avoid the knocking down.

What I'm seeing is the GPU going back and forth between power states, possibly between 2D and 3D clocks (reason: memory clocks also drop to 405mhz). Another possibility is detection of the application in focus is wonky, and a range of other options. By testing this undervolt you exclude a quick fix (or it just works and you're done) and you can focus on power state switching.

Some further advice: the most effective way to troubleshoot is not by asking page upon page of questions about the why, but rather check as many simple things as possible first so you can exclude a range of possible problems. Narrow it down, and you can figure out the 'why' afterwards when you have the right fix. There are still too many variables right now.

Last edited:
System Name BOX
Processor Core i7 6950X @ 4,26GHz (1,28V)
Motherboard X99 SOC Champion (BIOS F23c + bifurcation mod)
Cooling Thermalright Venomous-X + 2x Delta 38mm PWM (Push-Pull)
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 4x8GB (@3240MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @ 1,48V)
Video Card(s) Titan V (~1650MHz @ 0.77V, HBM2 1GHz, Forced P2 state [OFF])
Storage WD SN850X 2TB + Samsung EVO 2TB (SATA) + Seagate Exos X20 20TB (4Kn mode)
Display(s) LG 27GP950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Motu M4 (audio interface) + ATH-A900Z + Behringer C-1
Power Supply Seasonic X-760 (760W)
Mouse Logitech RX-250
Keyboard HP KB-9970
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Furmark 1,018V mini.png

^When you go low enough on vGPU, Furmark should look something like this (on Big Maxwell with reference cooling at least ;)).

Last edited:
Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
If I've learned anything from this thread....its that removing the factory heatsink is inflicting a violent and disfiguring injury on a GPU. :p

Jokes aside, at this point.. if you have another hdd, try installing a fresh copy of windows on it and see if that changes anything. As odd as it may be things can happen like that. Be sure to unplug your current drive so the boot loader doesnt get borked.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stay on topic.
Stop the bickering.

Thank You.

CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz - known to run hot
Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC. MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z/GEN3
Cooling Hydro Series™ H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - Almost as good as a $45 air cooler.
Memory 1 2X 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (CMY16GX3M2A2400C11R)
Memory 2 2X 4GB CORSAIR Vengeance (CMZ8GX3M2X2133C9R)

OK lets get that 2 x 4 outta there. Test with just the 2 x 8GB in the two primary slots. See MoBo Manual

Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 Ti (GV-N98TG1) GAMING-6GD Rev 1.0 - No known issues
Storage 1 Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series 256GB - No known issues
Storage 2 Seagate BarraCuda XT ST32000641AS 2TB - No known issues
Display(s) Dell Ultra HD 4k Monitor P2715Q 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor - a Bit much for a 980 Ti
Case Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower - Oldie but Goodie was one of the best cases around 10 years ago. Still serviceable.
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Xense Soundcard & Sennheiser PC350 Headphones - No known issues
Power Supply Corsair Professional Series™ HX1000 Power Supply - Dodn't have the quality / performance of the 750 / 850 but stilla hi end PSU
Mouse Steelseries World of Warcraft Mouse - not familiar
Keyboard Logitech G19 Keyboard for Gaming - use myself
Software Windows 10 - I would never have put Win 10 on a system that old.

So out of all that, nothing glaring but the RAM mix ... 4 sticks may be dragging things down, let's try w/ 2 and make sure that in right slots.

9. I looked at the video culdn't see much w/ smartphoine video of screen... too blurry to read.. Relevant Info =

Max Vcore (Core 0 thru Core 3)
Max Core Temp (Core 0 thru Core 3)
Voltage Min and max on each of the three rails (3.3 / 5 / 12)

11. Seatools and Samsung Magician
https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

Also check out the rest of HWiNFO for spec related items

12. If you see anyting like the images below it's important ... Warning and error is what we are looking for ... note time stamp and if it ocurs at time of problem

https://bd23.https.cdn.softlayer.ne...loads/2007/08/event-viewer-service-errors.png

13. It is a real PITA to watch a 2 minute video or scroll the 100s of lines of a log to find 3 numbers. At the end of the look at the min and max columns ... take a screenie

Rail Voltages.jpg

@John Naylor I have run the realbench test again. This time I took a snapshot of the end results of everything showing the max-min results of all. Let me know if this is easier for you to read?

It should be easier to find what you are looking for now.

Realbench indicated that the stress tests were all passed.

Another Update. I had a spare SSD drive in the cupboard and loaded a fresh copy of Windows 10 and installed all latest drivers.
Installed Furmark as well and reran the test and the exact same results. So it is clear it is not software related. not OS or Applicationn Interference or even Drivers.

It is now confirmed that this is hardware related. :-(

Now to figure out whether it is the card or the PSU

Attachments

• hwinfo_results.png
    hwinfo_results.png
    533.1 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
I am trying to arrange someone who will loan me a PSU to do some testing.
So any more ideas for me?

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
I wouldnt waste my time on the psu... they dont cause this issue.

I thought you are buying a new pc anyway??

I wouldnt waste my time on the psu... they dont cause this issue.

I thought you are buying a new pc anyway??
I have decided to do so yes but purely because of this problem and the hardware is already so old. but in order to recoup some of my expenses, I will need to sell the components I already have which means I still need to determine which component is the problem so that I don't sell a defective component.