• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Forspoken Simply Doesn't Work with AMD Radeon RX 400 and RX 500 "Polaris" GPUs

Processor Threadripper 3955WX
Motherboard M12SWA-TF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 4U SP3
Memory G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) 5700XT + 3x RX 590
Storage A lot
Display(s) ViewSonic G225fB
Case Corsair 760T
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply be quiet! DPP12 1500W
Keyboard IBM F122
Software 10 LTSC
You sure don't sound like a boomer the way you're talking. You definitely sound like someone who is stuck(or bandwagon) in the AMD 200 series back in the day and can't move past it and your excuse is "They are still doing the same thing with their "incompetence" where they still have bad drivers and blah blah". Intel still this DAY still has horrible GPU Drivers and gets no mud on the level of AMD.
You clearly haven't used Radeon Shitware. lmao that control panel is just plain awful, the drivers are glitchy af to the point computers bluescreen with the driver_irql_not_equal and atikmdag.sys errors just randomly, even if the drivers are "fine" and the cards have no overclocks, undervolts, etc. They're just BAD.

I own 4 AMD cards and ALL of them had issues with the drivers at some point, it's something that simply does not happen with nVIDIA cards and denying it is fooling yourself and the rest. I use AMD cards daily, and they're good when it comes to hardware, it's the drivers that are utter bullshit no matter what you do. Ever since ATi and the Catalyst CC died it's been one mistake after another with AMD's drivers, for some reason they never stop "redesigning" something for the worse.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
It's all an API issue. Microsoft DirectX is a plague. It's not a real technical limitation, DirectX should have had an automatic bypass. DirectX is Microsoft planned obsolescence weapon. If it runs on Linux when it wasn't even designed for it, come on.
If a DirectX feature isn't supported by the driver, but running the same API call through a Vulkan-wrapper on a different driver on the same hardware works, then the hardware capabilities are present in the hardware.

Contrary to the misinformation several here are providing, Nvidia doesn't "emulate 12_1 in software", this claim is evidence of some complete misunderstanding of how graphics APIs work. The driver implements graphics APIs by translating DirectX, Vulkan and OpenGL API calls to native API calls, as none of the GPUs use any of these graphics APIs natively. This also means that if a feature can be implemented in the Vulkan driver, then the DirectX driver can too.

The real question is whether GCN 3/4 supports all the hardware requirements for DirectX 12_1, or if it lacks something which prevents it from exposing the required support. Vulkan and OpenGL is much more flexible in this regard, as each feature ("extension") can be supported and queried on an individual basis. If all the requirements for 12_1 are met, then it's just laziness from the driver team. But regardless, this once again defeats the claim of AMD's GPUs being more future proof and all the "fine wine" arguments are nonsense.

Says a lot about the sad state of the graphics card market if the fact a 6 year old graphics card can't play the newest games is newsworthy.

I don't think most people would've been upset that a then 6 year old Geforce 4Ti card would have been unable to play DX10 (heck, not even DX9) games in 2008, because newer and more capable options were available at reasonable prices.

Processor Intel i7 13900K
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z690-E Gaming
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 360
Memory 32 Gb Kingston Fury Renegade 6400 C32
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080 XLR8 OC
Storage 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO + 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus + 2 TB Samsung 870
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A + Samsung C24RG50
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Power Supply EVGA G6 850W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite
Benchmark Scores 3dMark TimeSpy - 26698 Cinebench R23 2258/40751
See, your post is a nice example of assumptions being the mother of all fuckups.

Enjoy your day, between all the butthurt and fanboy rhetoric.
Uh huhhhhh…pot meet kettle. Did you read what you typed and did you read mine. The fact you came back with a comment like that further proves my point but I’m the butthurt fanboy? Oooooooooook…. Well sir, you have a mighty fine month ok. I’ll just keep on being a “fuckup” as you call it…

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Uh huhhhhh…pot meet kettle. Did you read what you typed and did you read mine. The fact you came back with a comment like that further proves my point but I’m the butthurt fanboy? Oooooooooook…. Well sir, you have a mighty fine month ok. I’ll just keep on being a “fuckup” as you call it…
I didnt say or even assume you were. In fact, Im not talking about any individual while you did in your response to me. I talked about your rhetoric responding on that in turn - posts like yours are a complete waste of my time. Fun though nonetheless.

You had no reason to get personal in the first place. Instant disqualification in my book :)

Why is everyone playing the blame game here? How long do you expect an old hardware to be supported in the future? It's the same thing with old CPUs that do not support SSE3/4 for example. In those cases everyone blames the developer for using a feature not supported by old hardware. But in this case nobody blames the developer for using a feature not supported by old hardware. Nobody has timemachines, nobody has crystal balls, at some point old hardware will become just that, old hardware. Some hardware will age better, some worse. Why doesn't nvidia's Pascal support DX12_2? Sometime in the future a game will come out which will need 12_2 and than everyone will complain why this or that card doesn't support it? Yes, it this specific case nvidia decided to implement a new technology 1 generation earlier than AMD. Awesome, it generated some good advertising for them 7 years later. Given the extremely high requirements of this game, does it even matter?
You clearly haven't used Radeon Shitware. lmao that control panel is just plain awful, the drivers are glitchy af to the point computers bluescreen with the driver_irql_not_equal and atikmdag.sys errors just randomly, even if the drivers are "fine" and the cards have no overclocks, undervolts, etc. They're just BAD.

I own 4 AMD cards and ALL of them had issues with the drivers at some point, it's something that simply does not happen with nVIDIA cards and denying it is fooling yourself and the rest. I use AMD cards daily, and they're good when it comes to hardware, it's the drivers that are utter bullshit no matter what you do. Ever since ATi and the Catalyst CC died it's been one mistake after another with AMD's drivers, for some reason they never stop "redesigning" something for the worse.
Well I’m sorry you had that experience but that does not describe my experience at all. I’m able to overclock and undervolt BOTH my CPU and GPU just fine using the AMD Software. Definitely on par with Nvidia software. Had the 5900x/6900 XT for two years now and only issues I really had where images glitched out when I was scrolling on websites and black screens on some games(come to find out it was a Windows issue and fix that and black screens went away like that). Other than that it has been rock solid.

That’s my main PC, the other one I have a is a Intel i7-6700 non K with a GTX 1080 and it’s has been pretty good to me when it was my main. However, it started to stutter hard on games and the 1080 can play at 1440p but I wanted higher frames and at the time, only used AMD hardware once(a Laptop that was decent but absolutely horrible GPU) and wanted to give them a try again. It has been amazing.

Just remember, these companies are not your friend and just wanna milk you like the cows you are. Also go back to WFCCTECH with that comment.

I didnt say or even assume you were. In fact, Im not talking about any individual while you did in your response to me. I talked about your rhetoric responding on that in turn - posts like yours are a complete waste of my time. Fun though nonetheless.

You had no reason to get personal in the first place. Instant disqualification in my book :)
…you didn’t say or even assume but you quote me…oooooooook. Also, i wasn’t getting personal at all. That in itself is stress that I can’t afford nowadays lol. To be honestly this is all too funny. I’m bored while working from home due to being iced in.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asrock B450M Steel Legend @ BIOS Version P4.60
Cooling Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Memory PNY Electronics 8192 MB (DDR4-3200 with XMP/DOCP) P/N: 8GBF1X08QFHH38-135-K (x2)
Video Card(s) Colorful Tomahawk/BattleAx RTX 2060 Super
Storage HP SSD EX900 500GB, PNY CS900 960GB
Display(s) Acer QG240Y S3
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650W, 230V non fullrange
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm not even sure what is up with the flame war above me.

Anyways, didn't one reviewer say that Forspoken is like Elden Ring but easier? (I don't believe a word of that.) And speaking of Elden Ring, it can actually run on my RX 580 at 60 fps, though with dips in some more intensive areas. The two games look almost the same to me, don't get why one of them has to be run on a friggin supercomputer to run smoothly.

(Also a not so humble brag, I finished ER thrice. There is a way to make the game easier, it's called summons. :p)

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
…you didn’t say or even assume but you quote me…oooooooook. Also, i wasn’t getting personal at all. That in itself is stress that I can’t afford nowadays lol. To be honestly this is all too funny. I’m bored while working from home due to being iced in.
Really, read back what you responded to initially, and the tone in which you did so, plus all the assumptions about my character and how I'm viewing the AMD or GPU world. Not a great start... those were the assumptions I was pointing at. I'm fine with starting over though, we all have bad days.

@btarunr
Would you please update the article, i just played the Forspoken demo on an R9 Nano. The patch from the 9th of February made the game work on the older AMD GPUs. :)

The changelog is not specific about what GPUs crashed before tho. I can only tell that the game runs now and that i can play, which was not possible a few days ago on my R9 Nano.

Link to the changelog on steam: https://steamcommunity.com/games/1680880/announcements/detail/3650765858485719379

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 \Paradigm 7se MKII, Paradigm 5SE MK1 , Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
The issue is there has been no viable replacement for polaris, everything is @$$ expensive.

There's nothing wrong with getting the most out of hardware. It's better for your personal economics, better for the environment, ece.

It's a boring crap game with optimization done by a blind monkey. I mean if you wanted to watch a 3 hour movie that nobody cares about and throw in some walking simulator segments then sure I guess, I'd rather watch grass grow.

EDIT: I forgot, on top of running like a heroin addict, the game looks like complete crap. I've seen better looking PS3 games.

Never mind the rest of the game lmao, only good thing i seen or heard was it had direct memory access.

You aint missing any thing by not playing it, in fact you be doing your self a solid by not playing it.

Never had any of those issue's, no overclock\underclock ? umm.

Well here's a overclock.

led.png

And owned a few too this is just the ones from XFX.

owed.jpg

Last edited:
System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
Says a lot about the sad state of the graphics card market if the fact a 6 year old graphics card can't play the newest games is newsworthy.

I don't think most people would've been upset that a then 6 year old Geforce 4Ti card would have been unable to play DX10 (heck, not even DX9) games in 2008, because newer and more capable options were available at reasonable prices.
Expectations of hardware change.

By 2008 the geforce 4 series was obsolete. Graphics were rapidly advancing.

Today, we've entered a malaise era of graphics, where despite much effort things just dont look a whole lot better and we expect a lot more out of our hardware. Borespoken, frankly, doesnt justify its GPU needs, being an unoptimized scrap heap of code. Properly made games like DOOM show how well old hardware can handle modern looking games, if the games are made right.