• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fractal Design Define 7 Compact

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
The Fractal Design Define 7 Compact takes all the great things about the Define 7 and aims to shrink it down to align more with what a user would expect from a classic mid-tower enclosure in terms of size. By doing so the Define 7 Compact enters the mass-market segment, which is further underlined by its interesting price point.

Show full review

I like it but would have preferred it to be more compact along meshify c dimension which in my opinion is best compact case ever.

Processor AMD Ryzen R7 5700X
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Alpenföhn Dolomit Premium
Memory Kingston Fury Beast 16 GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1070 Quick Silver OC 8G
Storage Kingston Fury Renegade 1 TB, Western Digital Red 2 TB
Display(s) Dell G2724D
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DSX + Microlab B-77
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-550
Mouse Zowie ZA11
Keyboard Genius KB-235
Software Windows 10 Pro
Thank you for this review!

So it's like a Define C2, but with a bit less sound dampening and a bit more airflow. I wouldn't "upgrade" to this from my Define C though. I don't know if I ever would replace it. :D
Also, it would've been nice if you showed us the inside of the front piece. Can you please? :)

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Top mounted ports are a negative for me, also manufacturers perforating the entire rear of the case and no filters there.
If it's not used for airflow through a fan, seal it off!

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Waaay too expensive. The closest competition is the Pure Base 500, which has no front USB-C but includes 4 SSD trays... and is $25 cheaper. That's a lot of money at this price point.

If this chassis included vertical PCI slots and a couple of extra SSD mounts, then $100 becomes a lot more palatable. But as it stands, all that's needed is for be quiet! to refresh the Pure Base 500 with USB-C for $10 more, and all of a sudden Fractal's offering is DOA.

Sorry Fractal, you aren't Apple, you're just another chassis manufacturer in an every-growing market of them, and the features that used to be exclusive to your boxes are now available from almost anyone. You don't get to charge those high prices anymore, because there's nothing to justify them. I've said this before: Lian-Li made the same mistake, and it didn't work out particularly well for them.

System Name Warranty Void Mk.IV
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asus X470-I Strix
Cooling Arctic Freezer 240 + 2x Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 140mm / Silverstone 120mm Slim
Memory Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600MHz 2x8GB CL16 - Tightened Sub-timings
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra
Storage WD SN550 / MX300 / MX500
Display(s) AOC CU34G2 / LG 29UM69G-B - Auxilary
Case CM NR200p / Silverstone RVZ03-B
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC 1220+SupremeFX
Power Supply Corsair CX550M 550W / Silverstone SX650-G 650W
Mouse Logitech G302/G502/G203 / RPG: Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard CM Masterkeys Pro M / Asus Sagaris GK100
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 - LTSB
Is it just be or they're rolling down-hill with these "new" releases?

I had a Define C, Mini and already own 2 Meshify cases which are better for most use cases and costed less.

In some ways I thought Meshify was a step back because the removable front had also affixed the front I/O to it. It was so much easier to clean the front filters and fans without having to awkwardly move around the front while it was still tied to the case by the cables. Also, the sound dampening was removed, I'm guessing it made more sense because you were able to fully close the TG panel. On Meshify there is a clear gap that will leak noise.

No clue how they couldn't figure out how to keep some of the quality of life things.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
It's nice to see that Fractal brings similar features to a smaller family member as well.
Personally I would probably use the 7 or 7 XL in my future builds, but options are always great.

Waaay too expensive. The closest competition is the Pure Base 500, which has no front USB-C but includes 4 SSD trays... and is $25 cheaper. That's a lot of money at this price point.
Well, that's what you get when comparing a "value" case to a premium case. If that matters to you, then go for the cheaper one.

I only look at the price if it's very significant. $25 or even $50 is not much for a whole build, if I like the case better. I generally just look at features and quality first, so sometimes I build in a $60 case, sometimes I build in a $150 case.

If they were to cut costs somewhere, it should be to make some of the parts optional, not cut in quality. Like that extra top panel and the included fans. One of the problem with premium cases is that you pay for half-decent fans that will be thrown out anyway.

System Name [Primary Workstation]
Processor Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield @ 3.8GHz/4.55GHz [24-7/Bench]
Motherboard EVGA X58 E758-A1 [Tweaked right!]
Cooling Cooler Master V8 [stock fan + two 133CFM ULTRA KAZE fans]
Memory 12GB [Kingston HyperX]
Video Card(s) constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer nVidia]
Storage constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer Hitachi/Samsung]
Display(s) Triple LCD [40 inch primary + 32 & 28 inch auxiliary displays]
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 [Mesh Mod, CFM Overload]
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 + onboard Realtek ALC889A [Logitech Z-5300 Spk., Niko 650-HP 5.1 Hp., X-Bass Hp.]
Power Supply Corsair TX950W [aka Reactor]
Software This and that... [All software 100% legit and paid for, 0% pirated]
Benchmark Scores Ridiculously good scores!!!
Do any modern cases offer 5.25 bays anymore? I know tempered glass is hard to shape (and expensive for the manufacturer) outside simple rectangles and squares, but many cases like this one don't even use tempered glass up front, so there is no excuse.

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
Do any modern cases offer 5.25 bays anymore? I know tempered glass is hard to shape (and expensive for the manufacturer) outside simple rectangles and squares, but many cases like this one don't even use tempered glass up front, so there is no excuse.
Yes, Define 7 has one, Define 7 XL has two.

System Name Desktop / "Console"
Processor Ryzen 5950X / Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus X570 Hero / Asus X570-i
Cooling EK AIO Elite 280 / Cryorig C1
Memory 32GB Gskill Trident DDR4-3600 CL16 / 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE / RTX 2080ti FE
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus NVME / 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 NVME, 1TB Intel 660P
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW / LG 65CX Oled
Case Lian Li O11 Mini / Sliger CL530 Conswole
Audio Device(s) Sony AVR, SVS speakers & subs / Marantz AVR, SVS speakers & subs
Power Supply ROG Loki 1000 / Silverstone SX800
VR HMD Quest 3
It's nice to see that Fractal brings similar features to a smaller family member as well.
Personally I would probably use the 7 or 7 XL in my future builds, but options are always great.

Well, that's what you get when comparing a "value" case to a premium case. If that matters to you, then go for the cheaper one.

I only look at the price if it's very significant. $25 or even $50 is not much for a whole build, if I like the case better. I generally just look at features and quality first, so sometimes I build in a $60 case, sometimes I build in a $150 case.

If they were to cut costs somewhere, it should be to make some of the parts optional, not cut in quality. Like that extra top panel and the included fans. One of the problem with premium cases is that you pay for half-decent fans that will be thrown out anyway.

I agree, there is more than spec sheets alone in my consideration of value. For instance, I would pay $25 over the Be Quite! on aesthetics alone, as I have no need for more 2.5 SSD's. I to wish they would offer fanless versions of cases as you said.

Do any modern cases offer 5.25 bays anymore?

in my opinion the complete eradication of 5.25 bays can not come soon enough. I have a cheap external usb drive that I take out of my desk drawer every 3rd blue moon when I actually need to install something from a disc. Even then, if an optical drive is a must I have seen much better solutions using the slim style laptop drives that can be mounted inconspicuously and take up very little room, opposed to bulky full sized drives.

Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 + onboard Realtek ALC889A [Logitech Z-5300 Spk., Niko 650-HP 5.1 Hp., X-Bass Hp.]
I agree, there is more than spec sheets alone in my consideration of value. For instance, I would pay $25 over the Be Quite! on aesthetics alone, as I have no need for more 2.5 SSD's. I to wish they would offer fanless versions of cases as you said.

in my opinion the complete eradication of 5.25 bays can not come soon enough. I have a cheap external usb drive that I take out of my desk drawer every 3rd blue moon when I actually need to install something from a disc. Even then, if an optical drive is a must I have seen much better solutions using the slim style laptop drives that can be mounted inconspicuously and take up very little room, opposed to bulky full sized drives.

I'm on my third USB drive since August 2018. No such thing as quality USB optical drive. Constant power issues, burn quality is beyond bad, pretty much one chipset in all of these. Think of a cheapest off-brand 5.25 drive of the 2000s with a Mediatek chipset running things, only worse. Good-ish if all you want to do is read a random game disc few times a year for a quick install.

That said, I think we have different backgrounds and use cases. While I do have a fully modern "gamer-cool" case for my main OC-and-play-with machine which is where the USB optical drive resides (case is the Anidees AI Cube, tempered glass all around, RGB everywhere!, all it needs is some Fortnite stickers to make it best case of 2018 voted by 14-year-olds), I also have 8 other retro machines and a collection of 200+ boxed/jeweled PC games. (Typing this off a machine running Athlon XP 3200 and GeForce 3 Ti 500 :D) So I'm constantly going to and fro, CDs in hand.

Would be nice to move my modern gaming and OC PC from this tempered glass RGB monstrosity to something little more usable. So far only options are eBay cases like original Cosmos 1000 or similar, OR new Rosewill cases that look like they have QC of a North Korean ICBM.

Also, love the fact that all the cases with tempered glass up front, like my cube with four 120mm fans up front + glass, have tiny slits for intakes, that cause the fans grab air from inside instead and recycle it. We have reached peak flashy yet useless. :D At least the cases of yesteryear balanced airflow with flashy non-sense (Thermaltake was king and still is of bizzare looking cases that somehow had decent to okayish airflow.)

That said, this case in the review price aside, looks decent for a modern mid range build. If I was building my first PC ever, def would give a shot.

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
This is why having options is important, different people have different needs. And I commend Fractal for still offering some good cases with 5.25" bays.
I'm not saying every case needs to have 5.25" bays, but I think workstation oriented ones should. My future builds will continue to have optical drives, not for gaming, but for audio work. External drives are really not an option. Then there are some who install hot swap bays in the 5.25" bays.

System Name Desktop / "Console"
Processor Ryzen 5950X / Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus X570 Hero / Asus X570-i
Cooling EK AIO Elite 280 / Cryorig C1
Memory 32GB Gskill Trident DDR4-3600 CL16 / 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE / RTX 2080ti FE
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus NVME / 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 NVME, 1TB Intel 660P
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW / LG 65CX Oled
Case Lian Li O11 Mini / Sliger CL530 Conswole
Audio Device(s) Sony AVR, SVS speakers & subs / Marantz AVR, SVS speakers & subs
Power Supply ROG Loki 1000 / Silverstone SX800
VR HMD Quest 3
I'm on my third USB drive since August 2018. No such thing as quality USB optical drive. Constant power issues, burn quality is beyond bad, pretty much one chipset in all of these. Think of a cheapest off-brand 5.25 drive of the 2000s with a Mediatek chipset running things, only worse. Good-ish if all you want to do is read a random game disc few times a year for a quick install.

That said, I think we have different backgrounds and use cases. While I do have a fully modern "gamer-cool" case for my main OC-and-play-with machine which is where the USB optical drive resides (case is the Anidees AI Cube, tempered glass all around, RGB everywhere!, all it needs is some Fortnite stickers to make it best case of 2018 voted by 14-year-olds), I also have 8 other retro machines and a collection of 200+ boxed/jeweled PC games. (Typing this off a machine running Athlon XP 3200 and GeForce 3 Ti 500 :D) So I'm constantly going to and fro, CDs in hand.

Would be nice to move my modern gaming and OC PC from this tempered glass RGB monstrosity to something little more usable. So far only options are eBay cases like original Cosmos 1000 or similar, OR new Rosewill cases that look like they have QC of a North Korean ICBM.

Also, love the fact that all the cases with tempered glass up front, like my cube with four 120mm fans up front + glass, have tiny slits for intakes, that cause the fans grab air from inside instead and recycle it. We have reached peak flashy yet useless. :D At least the cases of yesteryear balanced airflow with flashy non-sense (Thermaltake was king and still is of bizzare looking cases that somehow had decent to okayish airflow.)

That said, this case in the review price aside, looks decent for a modern mid range build. If I was building my first PC ever, def would give a shot.

Sorry I meant no offense directed towards you, I have been waging war against 5.25 bays for a long time lol. For sure, use cases are to be considered. I was just stating it "in my opinion" per my use case. My preference is as minimalist and compact of a form factor as possible for the given motherboard size, and the 5.25 bays just add so much extra volume and case depth.

I surprisingly still have my original Toshiba usb drive from back when USB DVD externals first came out. (and I'm sure I have just jinxed myself).

Processor AMD 5800X
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Memory G.Skill 32GB
Software Windows 10
If this chassis included vertical PCI slots and a couple of extra SSD mounts, then $100 becomes a lot more palatable. But as it stands, all that's needed is for be quiet! to refresh the Pure Base 500 with USB-C for $10 more, and all of a sudden Fractal's offering is DOA.
Kinda hard to compare this case to one that doesn't exist no? They already released the Pure Base 500DX for $99, which has USB-C, but it's not in addition to the two front USB ports, it replaces one of them. You want more SSD mounts, I want more front USB ports, and it's pretty great that we both have options available at the same price-point.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
The fact that this 100% standard ATX tower is called "compact" says a lot about the woeful state of the ATX case market right now.

More cases need to be this size - it's ideal for a 280mm radiator and full ATX board, which covers or exceeds the requirements of 99.9% of the population.

When people buy an "ATX" case that can fit oversized boards, over-height, over-long graphics cards, push-pull radiators in the front+top+back, and include extra width just to shove a GPU in the utterly ridiculous 'vertical showboat' position with its fans rammed against the glass....

:banghead:

The top filter and radiator mounts in this are utterly stupid though - I'll assume that it was cheaper to leave them in than remove them, because the same tooling would be used for a variant that has a vented top panel.

How sturdy is the closing mechanism on the side panels especial the solid side ?

all they had to do is update meshify c with usb type- c port and sort out the front IO ports and voila you have a winner once again!

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Corsair have a couple.

Was looking at Corsair 780T, which seems like Corsair's take on Cosmos. Seems discontinued and few places that have it are selling used/refurb/abused models at inflated prices.

It's not just optical drives, I have fan controllers, temp readouts, tape drives, internal USB floppy emulators. I have a bin of new AND old 5.25 peripherals. Tis the new age, Windows comes with Minecraft preinstalled and all that. :rolleyes:

How sturdy is the closing mechanism on the side panels especial the solid side ?

If it's anything like the Fractal 7 (which I have, and locking mech looks identical), then you place the bottom of the side panel in the bottom guiding rail, then you simply push the top of the side into place. There is a solid click when it clips.

However, if you are moving the case around (from say under a desk to put on a desk) it is extremely easy to accidentally grab one sides release mech, and the side unclips. If your in an awkward hold, this could result in the side just falling off and onto your foot etc.

Anyway, in the Fractal 7, there is 2 little screws you can use, to hold the side panels in place when moving, or to hold the sides in place permanently. They screw in near the top, and either side of the front.

Check the Fractal 7 Compacts manual. It will tell you if it's the same deal.

• No HDD activity LED
Thank you for pointing this out. I know it's a small thing, but I'm genuinely irked when case manufacturers cheap out by not providing an HDD activity light or reset button. Both of which are really useful when (not if) troubleshooting.

System Name Mjolnir
Processor 9900KS bare die
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Cooling Optimus Signature V2, Heatkiller IV 2080Ti block, dual 280mm radiators, dual 10W DDC pumps
Memory 32GB G.Skill 3200C14
Video Card(s) Nvidia 2080Ti Founders Edition
Storage 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Alienware 34" Ultrawide 120Hz 3440x1440
Case Fractal R6
Audio Device(s) Outlaw RR2150 stereo receiver driving DIY kits, Sennheiser HD6XX headphones
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1000W
Pretty nice case for the $100 range.

It did kind of blow my mind when I saw optical bays were almost not a thing any more. Instead of going to little USB drive route I got a big 5.25" external USB3 adaptor and shoved a Plextor DVDRW in it. No optical issues now!

To be honest, more cases needs to be NOT an ATX, but micro ATX or even mini ATX. People don't use SLI anymore, people don't use PCI slots anymore, as sound cards migrated outside the case, there are inbuilt WIFI cards or on USB. There's absolutely no need for ATX form factor in 2020.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
To be honest, more cases needs to be NOT an ATX, but micro ATX or even mini ATX. People don't use SLI anymore, people don't use PCI slots anymore, as sound cards migrated outside the case, there are inbuilt WIFI cards or on USB. There's absolutely no need for ATX form factor in 2020.
I don't even have a problem with standard compact ATX cases either, since m.2 slots take up real-estate on the board that used to require drive bays - it's just that so many "ATX" cases utterly dwarf an ATX board. with room for an SSI-EEB EATX board, 10+ legacy mechanical drives, 8x add-in cards and 4+ push-pull radiators.

micro-ATX is the best form factor IMO, since your typical 2-slot GPU needs a third slot to breathe, and you might as well have one other slot just to give you options and provide more real-estate on the board for increasingly-popular M.2

I also have 8 other retro machines and a collection of 200+ boxed/jeweled PC games. (Typing this off a machine running Athlon XP 3200 and GeForce 3 Ti 500 :D) So I'm constantly going to and fro, CDs in hand.
I would be tempted to rip all of your CDs and DVDs to ISO. Optical media doesn't last forever and it's abundantly clear that quality consumer optical drives are already extinct. When the last optical bay in my household died about 3-4 years ago, I took a good look at my CD and DVD collection and threw out about 90% of it because I could easily source the contents online. What I kept was basically useless for anything except the nostalgia of having an original printed disc with cover art. Even if I wasn't entitled to a legal digital version of it, I'd just pirate it if so inclined. Whilst not technically legal, we're talking about a decade(s)-old product that I bought back then as a 'perpetual full license' with the physical media and CD-key to prove it.

Last edited: