• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Freezing mystery: new GPU got freezes from previous GPU

SubWay

I have an extremely unusual situation. After 5 years of a good job, in one day my GTX 1060 6GB started:
1. To give me artefacts everywhere(games, apps with 3d graphics, and even apps without 3d graphics like Chrome).
2. To crash games with an overclock of RAM.
3. To crash all games with overclock of itself, but it worked 5 years with the same overclock very well.
4. Massive freezing of all games even without any overclock.
5. Downclock of core and VRM either increase freezing dramatically.
6. Draw distance was reduced dramatically in all games.
All those things happened in one day and they continue since this day. And on the first day, I decided with zero hesitation "Chip delamination happened with my GPU". I tried a lot of different things, I deleted all GPU drivers via DDU in safe mode, I tried a lot of versions of older drivers for my GPU from this summer and even spring, and a lot more. But I had zero success so I became more sure that my GTX 1060 has chip delamination and I bought RTX 4070 and Ryzen 5800X3D as well because my Ryzen 2700X would bottleneck so powerful GPU. After I replaced the CPU and GPU I deleted all drivers from GTX 1060 via DDU in Safe Mode again and installed new ones for RTX 4070 cleanly. As well I reset the settings of my BIOS and set up it again. When all was on set I started to test my new GPU. And oh God! I got the same freezes in Assassin's Creed Valhalla. I became extremely frustrated. I tested my new GPU in FurMark and Farming Simulator 2022 and there are freezes too. But in Forza Horizon 5 I have no issues.
Please see those screenshots on Imgur, it's important I use the latest version of Windows 10, and absolutely all my software and drivers are up to date including games. I tested my RAm with memtest86 and it passed successfully with zero errors.
As well in all software like GPU-Z or HWiNFO sensors of my new GPU have said that my new GPU gets power with 12.9 volts from 12vhpwr connector.

After that I decided my PSU is guilty and I bought a multimeter and a new power supply from Tier A in Tier List. The multimeter says that absolutely all pins on the 24-pin and 12vhpwr connectors on my previous power supply give absolutely ok voltage, multimeter says the 12vhpwr connector gives 12.3 volts, not 12,9 like the sensors of my new GPU say. Also, the multimeter said that all 12-volt pines have a circuit, but I can't understand how they work properly and give stable 12.3 volts if they have a circuit. For example all pins of CPU are 12V, but it was working all this time. After I changed the power supply almost nothing changed. I have the same heavy freezes. But! After I changed the power supply sensors of my new GPU stopped saying that they get 12.9 volts from 12vhpwr. Now they say that they get 12.4 volts average and 12.5 volts maximum from 12vhpw It's a MYSTERY! I have no idea what causes the freezes. Help me, please!

System Name DLSS / YOLO-PC
Processor i5-12400F / 10600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760M DS3H / Z490 Vision D
Cooling Laminar RM1 / Gammaxx 400
Memory 32 GB DDR4-3200 / 16 GB DDR4-3333
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT / RX 480 8 GB
Storage A couple SSDs, m.2 NVMe included / 240 GB CX1 + 1 TB WD HDD
Display(s) Compit HA2704 / Viewsonic VX3276-MHD-2
Case Matrexx 55 / Junkyard special
Audio Device(s) Want loud, use headphones. Want quiet, use satellites.
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000 W / FSP Epsilon 700 W / Corsair CX650M [backup]
Mouse Don't disturb, cheese eating in progress...
Keyboard Makes some noise. Probably onto something.
VR HMD I live in real reality and don't need a virtual one.
Software Windows 10 and 11
Let's start from obvious solutions: reinstall the Windows completely.

Disable these items in BIOS options
- Core Performance Boost
- Cool n Quiet
- C State
This is a common issue on AMD platform

I think maybe you got ahead of yourself. Either way, it's got a nice upgrade now.

Update the BIOS, keep all default including XMP. If it doesnt work, reinstall Windows. These are the first things I recommend doing.

These games are installed on SSD or HDD? Would be nice to have all information about your setup too.

* Memtest86, just like very other test, is basically useless to indentify faulty memories modules. Not reliable.

SubWay

Let's start from obvious solutions: reinstall the Windows completely.
If it doesnt work, reinstall Windows.
I tried that yet but that didn't help.
Core Performance Boost
I tired to disable it but that didn't help.
It's disabled by default in my motherboard.
Cool n Quiet
My motherboard doesn't have this one.
I think maybe you got ahead of yourself.
No, not at all. I fight with this issue a 4 months yet. Every single day I spend my time to fix this issue.
Update the BIOS, keep all default including XMP.
Obviously I tried that yet.
These games are installed on SSD or HDD?
Super fast NVMe.
Would be nice to have all information about your setup too.
MSI B450 Tomahawk
BIOS 7C02v1I
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
MSI RTX 4070 Gaming X Trio
HyperX DDR4-3200 16384MB PC4-25600 (Kit of 2x8192) Fury Black (HX432C16FB3K2/16)
Samsung 970 Evo series 500GB M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 V-NAND TLC (MZ-V7E500BW)
bequiet! PURE POWER 12 M 750W
bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
OS build 19045.3448
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19044.1000.0

System Name Dark Palimpsest
Processor Intel i9 13900k with Optimus Foundation Block
Motherboard EVGA z690 Classified
Cooling MO-RA3 420mm Custom Loop
Memory G.Skill 6000, 32GB
Video Card(s) Nvidia 4090 FE with Heatkiller Block
Storage 3 NVMe SSDs, 2TB-each, plus a SATA SSD
Case Be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900
Audio Device(s) Logitech G Pro X
Power Supply Be quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W
Mouse Logitech G502 X
Keyboard GMMK Pro + Numpad
Did you try a new certified HDMI/Displayport cable?

Also, if you go into the Windows Event Viewer, then Windows Logs -> System, does it show any critical errors around the times of your freezes and crashes that are helpful? Sometimes it will show driver crashes, CPU core throttling at temperature limits, etc. that can be helpful.

Do you have any information about what temperatures your components were running at during your various tests? Seeing how you were having issues with Farming Simulator, but not FH5, it would be good to compare temperatures from both applications of your CPU, motherboard VRM, memory, and GPU hot spot.

I've seen plenty of stories of bad HDMI/Displayport cables causing weird issues, and I've also seen bad memory cause problems that aren't detectable in different applications, but hopefully we can learn enough from the information I've asked for above to give us a direction to start in.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
Check your ram, bring up task manager then see if it’s displaying the ram correctly? Freezes normal culprit are ram and software and since you have reinstalled windows just need to narrow it down to
CPU, ram, motherboard and the ssd

cpu normally you can rule out since they are hard to kill, check your ssd health and since you mention that you get voltage drops after installing the psu could be the motherboard is on its way out
Gpu you can rule out since it is new but surprise new parts can be faulty too good luck narrowing down the culprit