• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Frequent Lag spikes with GPU usage drops

My rig:
Dell OptiPlex 9020 SFF
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC Low profile (does not require extra power supply "manufacture saying" )
Driver Version 461.72
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @3.40 Ghz
7.94 GB Ram (2 X 4gb DDr3) (1600 MHz )
1280 X 1024 60Hz
255 V PSU

Dear everyone, I purchased GTX 1050 Ti OC Low profile and it worked the first 3 days perfectly and it was very satisfying to me. In fourth day, all my games including very old games gets a lag spikes every 5-10 sec. AVG fps is 70 FPS but the lag spike cause FPS to go lower than 10 FPS for a millisecond then goes back to normal. By monitoring GPU usage, I see frequent usage drop in the GPU. For example, the GPU running at 95% then suddenly drops to 50% and I see a millisecond lag spike. It seems that it become worse when I run in front of many objects. Note: This issue is also happening in single player games so it can't be a network lag.
I have been a week in this issue now, and I am started to get tired from trying solutions with no succession and I am thinking of returning graphics card which I don't want to do. I am pretty sure it is not a power supply problem. I benchmarked my pc, and GPU stays at 99% for a long time without any problems, but in games GPU usage do not stay at 99% even in very demanding game and fluctuates a lot and make sudden drops in usage. I added a photo from MSI Afterburner monitoring stat while running a very non-demanding game from 2011 that showing FPS lag spikes in graph. Please try to help me because of now, I am really feeling bad

MSI Afterburner Stats
https://ibb.co/hDKM4LX
The 0.1 % low goes down to 5 FPS in all games, even if you playing super Mario for example. after running game by 1-5 sec

A video of me playing GTA 5 and suffering from those frequent lag spikes, I just have the case cover close in video so that's why CPU temp skyrocketing but even with CPU temp under 60 C, same lag spikes happen

Things I tried:
  • Reinstalled graphics driver using DDU
  • played on SSD
  • Reinstalled windows 10
  • Optimized games with Nvidia GeForce
  • Edited power plan in Nvidia control panel and windows 10 power plan to maximum performance
  • Rolled back graphics card driver
  • There is no unparked CPU core
  • Lowered games setting but same frequent lag spikes occur every 3-10 sec
Pls guys if anyone could help me since the GPU was working perfect first 3 days perfect then all the sudden that crap happened.

Attachments

• 20210307072341-1.jpg
    20210307072341-1.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 171
Processor i7-9700k
Motherboard Asrock Phantom Gaming 9
Memory Trident Z (2x16) 4000mhz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 ti fe
Storage Samsung 980 pro 250gb and Iron wolf 10tb hard drive
Display(s) ASUS TUF Gaming VG279QM 27”
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis Pro + GameDac
Power Supply Corsair Rm750x
Mouse Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7
Did you apply that OC or was it pre-applied? and I think it could be your psu isn't sufficient for your pc might need a higher wattage one.

The GPU OC it self to about 1729 Mhz but I did OC it more to try pushing GPU utilization but with no success. GPU was working great first 3 days. Even now in stress tests, GPU utilization stays at 99% all time which narrow chances of it being a PSU issue. Am I correct?. It is just suddenly between nigh and morning, it started underperforming like that, everything was so smooth before which freaks me out wondering what really happened

Processor i7-9700k
The GPU OC it self to about 1729 Mhz but I did OC it more to try pushing GPU utilization but with no success. GPU was working great first 3 days. Even now in stress tests, GPU utilization stays at 99% all time which narrow chances of it being a PSU issue. Am I correct?. It is just suddenly between nigh and morning, it started underperforming like that, everything was so smooth before which freaks me out wondering what really happened
are you stress-testing the system as a whole or just the GPU? bc if it is a power supply issue and you are only testing the GPU and not the rest of the system all at once it would make sense that it performs as expected. try and do some sort of benchmark that uses most of the system resources.

I ran both ram and CPU combined stress test and I also ran a GPU stress test at the same time to test PC overall performance. Even with the 2 benchmarks running at same time, GPU utilization stays at 99% permanently with not even a single drop in the benchmark but ingame, it seems to fluctuate a lot dropping to 40 % sometimes in both very graphics demanding games and non-demanding games. Does that maybe related to Ram issue, I purchased another stick of 4gb ram to test, but what bothers me that it actually worked great before but then things started to go wrong

Processor i7-9700k
have you installed any new applications or changed in settings in bios lately? anything at all? and also have you tried to reinstall windows?

have you installed any new applications or changed in settings in bios lately? anything at all? and also have you tried to reinstall windows?
No, I did not got near any bios settings. I did reinstall windows 10 but problem still exists. Many people have same specs plus that GTX 1050 Ti and i7-4770 are great combination. The only thing I am suspecting right now is Ram speed or GPU defect or a crappy windows setting that I cannot find

Stonebridge23

From where in Egypt did you buy your pc ? It seems something is faulty gpu or motherboard